Back to Pineville Res. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 06-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Default Back to Pineville Res.

went to Powder House lunch. Hear a lot about Bear Creek so went up to see. got a lot of small bass but only one crappie. I'm guessing they were the one's hanging between 5' and 7' in the deeper water. Saw quite a few but no clue how to catch them. When I see them on the fish finder I'm not sure where they are, never been able to get them unless it was a school under the boat. Didn't see any schools today. The one crappie I did get was 10 1/2". That's encouraging. Think I'll wait for more water and get the brush under it.. I can get then there.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #2
puckfisher
Tuna!

Default Re: Back to Pineville Res.

Don, the fish are at the opposite end of Prineville in heavy numbers. Yes, try other spots but many people have been reporting success at Jasper Point and above. You know how to catch them now go where they are at in numbers. Quit farting around and start whacking and stacking.
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

And if you are waiting for more water it is going to be a looonnggg wait. Guessing all launches will be out of the water by fall
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfisher View Post
Don, the fish are at the opposite end of Prineville in heavy numbers. Yes, try other spots but many people have been reporting success at Jasper Point and above. You know how to catch them now go where they are at in numbers. Quit farting around and start whacking and stacking.
Ya know what, Jasper Point is where I normally go! Maybe again this coming weekend.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #5
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
And if you are waiting for more water it is going to be a looonnggg wait. Guessing all launches will be out of the water by fall
Where is it all going?

Old 06-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
puckfisher
Tuna!

Don, you are the best. Your posts are classic. Keep it up. If you want to go again sometime, pm me. Does your girlfriend have a sister?(that is a joke, ha, ha).
Old 06-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #7
bcav8
Steelhead

Planning to head over there this weekend off the bank. Any tips/general locations? Haven’t been hearing too good of reports
bcav8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
newfydog
Steelhead

I fished Powderhouse yesterday morning with the pontoon and fly rod. No crappie, though a few bit and spit in some mid-depth water below the access road. The bass were fairly active, and took top water offerings, though they were all pretty small. Took one nice hard fighting rainbow at the rocks by the dam. I saw one bank fisherman near the dam with some trout, some others on the other side of the ramp with nothing.
newfydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Don, you are the best. Your posts are classic. Keep it up. If you want to go again sometime, pm me. Does your girlfriend have a sister?(that is a joke, ha, ha).
Thanks Puckfisher! Going out today with my son.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #10
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Went back to the Res with my son today, Thursday. My favorite put in spot, Jasper park. Went up in the no wake zone. Putted along at an idle till I found fish on the finder and put out two anchors, pretty windy. We got 57 crappie. Smallest was 8 1/2" biggest was 13". most were between 9 1/2 and 10 1/2". Also got one bass about 10". Nowhere near to number of bass I ran into near the Dam. Lot of fish with egg's in them! Son had a blast. He used to fish for crappie in a small lake when he lived in Newport but caught more today than he ever did in Newport. Used different colors, skirt's, auger tail paddle tail pretty much tried most everything. most important was put bait in the water! Haven't found them to particular but my favorite color, chartreuse auger tail I get the least with! My son use one gold jig with a skirt and did really well. I tried crappie nibble's on an orange jig and got them but no clue if the nibble's helped or not and I got them on a plain orange jig also. Stayed in water about 15' max and 20' to 30' from shore and cast in and pulled out. also did well casting along the shore. Great day! Did lose a lot of fish with the hook in the lip. Pretty good idea we'd lose them when we got them close and could see the jig in a lip. Netted most the fish, got some of those lip hooked one's with the net. Put in a little after 3pm and back at the dock about 6:30pm

Last edited by Don Fischer; 06-11-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:53 AM   #11
puckfisher
Tuna!

13 inches, huh? Did you put that one on a stretcher? Like to hear those numbers. Good to get some crappies out . Will help next year’s fishing.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #12
Don Fischer
King Salmon

I'd heard last year that we needed to get a bunch out. and now I keep everything about 8" and up. Last fall I was getting a number of 10" fish, boy were they a lot nicer than the small one's. I read they catch in some other states about the size they catch is some of the southern state's on a crappie site I'm on. Makes me want to go south. One thing about down there is number of places have length limits. But I'm guessing they don't have the number's we have here. Probably our's are over crowded.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #13
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Can anyone confirm whether or not the state campground is open? First hand- Not relying on any website.

Or better yet if I drive down the "prineville lake access road" on the north side is there anywhere a guy can pull over in a camper?

Last edited by 1nutinthewater; 06-15-2020 at 10:47 AM.
1nutinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #14
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutinthewater View Post
Can anyone confirm whether or not the state campground is open? First hand- Not relying on any website.

Or better yet if I drive down the "prineville lake access road" on the north side is there anywhere a guy can pull over in a camper?
State park campground is open and there were quite a few people camping, I was there yesterday as for the north access I have no idea.
Fishin4life! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #15
Oldbendagain
Coho

I see that Jasper Point and powder House ramps are closing at the end of June due to low water.
Oldbendagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:10 AM   #16
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbendagain View Post
I see that Jasper Point and powder House ramps are closing at the end of June due to low water.
Where did you see that? I really like Jasper point. Water is not supposed to go down more is it? Awfully low right now!

Old 06-17-2020, 06:17 AM   #17
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Makes total sense. launched Monday at powder house. I guessed it only had 10-14 days til it was high and dry.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:17 AM   #18
puckfisher
Tuna!

No surprise. Water dropping fast. What will effect be on fisheries? Probably not much this year. Worried about future years in water levels not maintained.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #19
newfydog
Steelhead

The reservoir is at 63%, with 14 CFS flowing in, 172 CFS flowing out. Going down....

https://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/destea.html
Old 06-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
Deadhorse1
Cutthroat

Do you need a boat?
Deadhorse1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:19 AM   #21
SlamminKokes
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhorse1 View Post
Do you need a boat?

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #22
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Last year I believe they locked up the ramps at 58 per cent.
team anarchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #23
bcav8
Steelhead

Fished Monday evening and left Tuesday afternoon. The 5 of us landed 312 from the bank. You have to move around. All females and around 10-12 inches. Double Chartreuse and black jigs on 1/16oz jig heads. Good luck
Old 06-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #24
shouldbehunting
Tuna!

Will they close Robert Bay launch? Heading there on Friday.
shouldbehunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #25
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcav8 View Post
Fished Monday evening and left Tuesday afternoon. The 5 of us landed 312 from the bank. You have to move around. All females and around 10-12 inches. Double Chartreuse and black jigs on 1/16oz jig heads. Good luck
Bingo! And they hadn’t spawned yet? Not good. If they spawn now and water goes down as expected, no fry. 312, but who’s counting after 100. An amazing year at Pineville or Prineville Reservoir. Next year should be even better. Larger but fewer fish. It won’t last forever. Better get them now and take some pictures with the kids. In a few years there will be a bazillion 4 inchers or a few rare 14 inchers. So go reservoir crappies. Water levels are critical.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #26
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Based on the signs Roberts bay has never opened
Old 06-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #27
bcav8
Steelhead

Quote:
Quote:
Bingo! And they hadn’️t spawned yet? Not good. If they spawn now and water goes down as expected, no fry. 312, but who’️s counting after 100. An amazing year at Pineville or Prineville Reservoir. Next year should be even better. Larger but fewer fish. It won’️t last forever. Better get them now and take some pictures with the kids. In a few years there will be a bazillion 4 inchers or a few rare 14 inchers. So go reservoir crappies. Water levels are critical.

The females were still full of eggs so they definitely still haven’t spawned. But you’re right. This is definitely bad for the spawn. Many of the males have been caught the last few weeks. I didn’t see any near the banks guarding or making beds. All the females seem to be prespawn. This is bad as far as the future goes but definitely will be much larger fish next year. Other bank anglers have been giving bad reports, but it’s because they aren’t targeting the right areas. Steep rocky slopes are a must
Old 06-18-2020, 05:24 AM   #28
Deadhorse1
Cutthroat

I have never crappie fished. We are head over next week to do a little rock hounding. I thought I would throw the poles in and give it a try. Any info would be great! can you fly fish for them?
Old 06-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #29
newfydog
Steelhead

Quote:
they aren’t targeting the right areas. Steep rocky slopes are a must
That's really interesting, because I went out last week targeting smallies, and figured I'd get a few crappie on the side, maybe a whole lot if I stumbled into a pod. I targeted steep rocky slopes with flies that were crappie proven and caught bass and trout but didn't land a single crappie. For some reason they just left the Powder House Cove area.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #30
puckfisher
Tuna!

Lots of fish at top end of reservoir. Problem is the traffic. It was a zoo today. Cannot even imagine what weekend will look like. Long line to takeout at Powderhouse. Still plenty of water at launch. Trout are chunky and feisty. Boats zooming by are frustrating. Go very early or very late if you must go this weekend.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #31
bcav8
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
That's really interesting, because I went out last week targeting smallies, and figured I'd get a few crappie on the side, maybe a whole lot if I stumbled into a pod. I targeted steep rocky slopes with flies that were crappie proven and caught bass and trout but didn't land a single crappie. For some reason they just left the Powder House Cove area.
I found that the crappie were suspended. Perhaps your fly was not getting deep enough.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #32
newfydog
Steelhead

Quote:
I found that the crappie were suspended. Perhaps your fly was not getting deep enough.
Yeah, might be, but I was using a type 6 sinking line, and hooked some trout pretty deep. The crappie in pontoon distance of Powder House went from every other cast, to scattered, to gone in my three trips. Always something to learn about fish.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #33
Deadhorse1
Cutthroat

Is is still good?
Old 06-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #34
WapitiBob
Ifish Nate

Been there twice, last was today, caught one 7" bass.
WapitiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #35
Deadhorse1
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
Been there twice, last was today, caught one 7" bass.
Had you been catching some?
Old 06-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #36
Deadhorse1
Cutthroat

Is it not happening now? I live in Florence and was going to bring my Daughter over to catch some. Don't really want to make the trip if it is over.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #37
WapitiBob
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhorse1 View Post
Had you been catching some?
Caught 'em every cast last year up bear cr. First few trips this year we caught 20 or so in a cpl hours up there.
Last 2 trips sucked. Launched at state park last 2 times, went up past jasper, around the corner to the rocks across from the picnic table where all the other boats were and nothing. Never saw a fish caught. Went there today, then fished a few spots from that far end, down to the floating bathrooms and caught the 1 fish. Pretty much everybody was gone by the time we came back down and went past the state park headed to the bathroom spot.
Guy on the launch said they killed them yesterday in any shady spot. No shade anywhere I was so maybe it's an evening thing. Pretty obvious I'm a crappy crappie fisherman so take my experience with a grain...
WapitiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #38
Deadhorse1
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
Caught 'em every cast last year up bear cr. First few trips this year we caught 20 or so in a cpl hours up there.
Last 2 trips sucked. Launched at state park last 2 times, went up past jasper, around the corner to the rocks across from the picnic table where all the other boats were and nothing. Never saw a fish caught. Went there today, then fished a few spots from that far end, down to the floating bathrooms and caught the 1 fish. Pretty much everybody was gone by the time we came back down and went past the state park headed to the bathroom spot.
Guy on the launch said they killed them yesterday in any shady spot. No shade anywhere I was so maybe it's an evening thing. Pretty obvious I'm a crappy crappie fisherman so take my experience with a grain...
I'm have never fished for them so I might be out of luck!
Old 06-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #39
Don Fischer
King Salmon

I have an idea it's the heat and sun. Went out yesterday and got two crappie and one 12" bass. got the first crappie about 5pm bass and one more crappie about 45min later and off the water at 6pm. Saw fish all over on my fish finder. Next trip I'll leave home about 3:30 and should be on the water by about 5:30. See if that helps.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #40
roguerowdy
Coho

Fished for crappie Wednesday and Thursday this week. Launched at the state park and went a couple miles toward the dam. Saw a lot of fish on the fish finder in several spots but they wouldn't bite jigging so we did a slow troll. Caught about 25 each day in 2-3 hours using mainly red and chartreuse jigs. We did catch about a dozen small mouth on the jigs also. The crappie and most of the bass were around 11". We were fishing in full sun on 2 hot days!
roguerowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #41
puckfisher
Tuna!

You either enjoy crappie hunting or you don’t. They can be so easy or so tough at times, it’ll drive you crazy. Overcast days now or night fishing are good options. Somebody got 312 at Prineville just about a week ago. I don’t think they taste as good later in season anyway. Try smaller, deeper and funky colors in tainted water. I still think most of the fish are up toward the top end of the reservoir.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:16 AM   #42
Deadhorse1
Cutthroat

We are just coming for one day. We are going to be fishing from the bank any suggestions? Thank you!
Old 06-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #43
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
You either enjoy crappie hunting or you don’t. They can be so easy or so tough at times, it’ll drive you crazy. Overcast days now or night fishing are good options. Somebody got 312 at Prineville just about a week ago. I don’t think they taste as good later in season anyway. Try smaller, deeper and funky colors in tainted water. I still think most of the fish are up toward the top end of the reservoir.
Crappie catching is enjoyable, hunting Crappie is not always so enjoyable, we always time it for the best bang for the buck, we've never fished Prineville for Crappie but after reading the reports, I'd say this late in the season simply takes too much time & money for too little reward for us. I do agree early & late is best, night time even better, I'm guessing the 312 was caught overnight?.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #44
bcav8
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Crappie catching is enjoyable, hunting Crappie is not always so enjoyable, we always time it for the best bang for the buck, we've never fished Prineville for Crappie but after reading the reports, I'd say this late in the season simply takes too much time & money for too little reward for us. I do agree early & late is best, night time even better, I'm guessing the 312 was caught overnight?.
Hello, we didn't fish throughout the night. Latest was 12:30 am. The night bite was way too slow. I was just there the other day fishing the same location. The hot sun is no good for the bite. Got there 7am and bite died around 12 until 4pm. We left by 4:30 and got 3/4 of a cooler. Tie on a slip bobber with two jigs and cast it out there. We set the bobbers at about 8 feet. Caught them far out and close to shore. The key was to find steep banks where it literally drops off from the shore. Slow rolling double jigs also produced. Hot color was black and chartreuse Strike King Mr. Crappie Joker or a natural brown 3" Floating Berkley Trout Power Worm wacky rigged under a bobber. Most females still had eggs.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #45
puckfisher
Tuna!

There you go, thinking outside the box. Wacky rigged power worm under bobber. Nice! My favorite is still 1 inch GULP minnow on very small jig in Watermelon Pearl color.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #46
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Keep moving and look for shade. It is hit and miss. 130 one day In 2 hours then a week later 50 for 4 hours. It’s worth it when you find them. I haven’t noticed a fall off in taste going through the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #47
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Has anyone been to Roberts bay recently? Just curious if camp spots are to be found...............
Old 07-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #48
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Was still closed when I was there two weeks ago. May try calling the the Prineville state park and ask. Leave a message they will call you back
Old 07-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #49
shouldbehunting
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutinthewater View Post
Has anyone been to Roberts bay recently? Just curious if camp spots are to be found...............
Was there 2 weeks ago. All of the camp spots at Roberts Bay are open because the gate is closed to the area (trust me, I tried going there). Took a trip via boat to explore Roberts Bay as I've never been there.

You can easily boat in and find a place to camp but not sure if it's allowed as there's plenty of signs saying Roberts Bay closed.

PM me if you have any questions.

FYI: Jasper and Powerhouse launches closed as of June 29.
shouldbehunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:43 AM   #50
Streamfixer
Chromer

Launched at Jasper Pt. last Sunday & again Monday. Ramp closed early Monday morning (after we launched). Fished (trolling) from Resort up stream. Slow compared to other years. Left yesterday (Thursday) after morning effort... Really slow. Fished from old resort up stream. Did not see anyone actively catching, just an occasional fish on retrieve.

Judging from a rock next to Jasper Pt. ramp (not exposed Sunday) the reservoir has dropped about a foot in the 5 days we were on the water...
Streamfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #51
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Anyone know why they aren't filling the res?

Old 07-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #52
adrenaline
King Salmon

Cause you can't squeeze water from a rock.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #53
team anarchy
Sturgeon

We had a fairly mild winter. There are no control dams for water flow into the reservoir. So only so much water is coming in to fill the reservoir. Prineville never filled past ??? 70%. Prineville is a reservoir for irrigation (and flood control). Like most of our Central Oregon reservoirs they were not built for fishing. That is just a bonus.
team anarchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #54
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by team anarchy View Post
We had a fairly mild winter. There are no control dams for water flow into the reservoir. So only so much water is coming in to fill the reservoir. Prineville never filled past ??? 70%. Prineville is a reservoir for irrigation (and flood control). Like most of our Central Oregon reservoirs they were not built for fishing. That is just a bonus.
Correction, they were not built primarily for fishing. Snow packs in the Crocked riv basin were close to ave, total precip was not close to ave, we are in a drought.

Last edited by adrenaline; 07-03-2020 at 02:41 PM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #55
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Correction, they were not built primarily for fishing. Snow packs in the Crocked riv basin were close to ave, total precip was not close to ave, we are in a drought.
Oh. Though there was more snow in the mountains than that. Ochoco didn't fill either. Thanks for that. Oh awful one more thing, John Day river at Clarno is just starting to go down well, been pretty high this spring, higher than normal it seem's.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #56
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Ramp at state park open?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #57
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

They also have to keep the Crooked river below bowman at a certain level because of the steelhead/salmon that they are planting and the 1 or 2 fish that come up from LBC.
Fishin4life! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #58
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

I had thought don was
Joking earlier in this thread about water levels. Didn’t know he was serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-05-2020, 06:18 AM   #59
Streamfixer
Chromer

I seem to recall around 115 cfs coming in, 1065 cfs going out last week.... Not looking good..

Streamfixer
Streamfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #60
puckfisher
Tuna!

Prineville has some deep spots that should protect this year’s fish. We’ll see how many dead crappies are on shore this August. It’s when we get a few low years back to back when the trouble starts. Seems like these droughts string together for several years. I hope not. This place was just getting good. You all know how important it is to get a couple steelhead up the Crooked River. Proof that the Central Oregon dam system is healthy and growing sustainable runs for future generations. I want to puke.