Prostate Cancer - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 06-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
randylee
Steelhead

Default Prostate Cancer

Need to make a decision radiate or removal. Anyone have the pleasure to make this decision. Any opions or advice out there.

randylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
sublloyd
Chromer

Default Re: Prostate Cancer

Surprised no response. We have a 1 in 3 chance of facing it in our lifetime. Need all the input we can get.
sublloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Randy, have patience. You will get some good answers, and I pray you will have the best outcome.
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #4
Old Coot
Ifish Nate

How old are you? Has your medical team quoted the success percentages for each option?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #5
stumpyin08
Ifish Nate

Hi, I know that they are working on T-cell gene therapies for prostrate at OHSU.
Always get a second opinion from an unrelated doctor.
Some doctors would use chemo to shrink the tumor first before operating.
Do your own research and ask questions.

Good luck
stumpyin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #6
Finsalong
Tuna!

I will make a long story short for example sake.

Close aquaintance had Chrones Disease Bad. He did not want to do the normal surgury (open chest) and was on Prednisone for many years.

He said it was a roller coaster.

I believe he went to a Support Group Meeting (people with similar issue) and somebody informed him of a new type of procedure.

Turns out he was healed, went from being 90 lbs to 140, fat and healthy.

May you find your way through and out of this trouble. Prayers Sent.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
fop
Ifish Nate

Check into cryablation(sp) It worked for me. My doc wouldn't do radiation.

fop
fop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #8
1pump
King Salmon

My dad had radiation when he was in his 70's. It did some damage to the tissue in his perineum. He eventually had to have a colostomy.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:21 AM   #9
PHT1950
Chromer

I had my prostrate removed robotically 4 years ago. All is good today. PM me if you have questions.
PHT1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:17 AM   #10
TURI51
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylee View Post
Need to make a decision radiate or removal. Anyone have the pleasure to make this decision. Any opions or advice out there.
I am a 72 year old Viet Nam vet who faced that question in August of this year. I chose removal.. Radiation looked to be drawn out and not very pleasant. i have had minimal side effects except no more intercourse, //bladder leakage has not been a problem I would find a good surgeon and go for it. Send me a PM and I will give you my Dr details Surgery was done December 19 at Portland VA Medical Center. Staff were wonderful and continue to be great.

REE
TURI51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:32 AM   #11
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHT1950 View Post
I had my prostrate removed robotically 4 years ago. All is good today. PM me if you have questions.
Robotically?! Now that is interesting...Glad you're healed up! Would love to learn more on that...I will google.
StrawberryMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #12
PHT1950
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryMTN View Post
Robotically?! Now that is interesting...Glad you're healed up! Would love to learn more on that...I will google.
Yep done with a robot. Dr sat about 5-10 feet away and did the surgery from there. Robotic surgery has been around for some time. Google DaVinci robot or ISRG (stock tag).
PHT1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
pdxmike
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHT1950 View Post
Yep done with a robot. Dr sat about 5-10 feet away and did the surgery from there. Robotic surgery has been around for some time. Google DaVinci robot or ISRG (stock tag).
I almost took a job with that Company as a service tech on that machine.

As for surgery or chemo/radiation....My father opted for surgery due to his age. He was 59 and the doctors told him it was possible in another 10 years that it could possibly return. His recovery was rough, but the technology has come a long way since he had his. A co-worker did the DaVinci method and was back at work (light duty) within a month. Alot of things come in to play, age, overall health, etc. Always get a second or third opinion then follow the choice based off what you want to have done. Hope it all works out for you......Mike
Old 07-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
Joe Schwab
King Salmon

I had surgery 14 years ago. A year later I had radiation therapy. Two years after that I was prescribed a drug called Xtandi. Horribly expensive but insurance covered a good bit. It worked and I was able to discontinue use. After moving back from Az and MAYO care I went to OHSU. The Cancer returned and after going to OHSU theDoctor there informed me I should have never quit taking it. Cancer returned and I went back on Xtandi. So far so good. Doctor said it will eventually fail to be effective and will have to undergo other treatment, chemo. I guess 14 years is better than 2 years. Do what your Doctor suggests but keep options open. Ask questions and read. There are new treatments involving CBD that are promising results. My thoughts are no one lives forever and I’ve already beat statistics.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #15
twobullz
Ifish Nate

My father in Law had to make that choice 4 years ago. He went with the robotic surgery. He was very happy with how the procedure went and no issues.
twobullz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #16
8knots
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schwab View Post
I had surgery 14 years ago. A year later I had radiation therapy. Two years after that I was prescribed a drug called Xtandi. Horribly expensive but insurance covered a good bit. It worked and I was able to discontinue use. After moving back from Az and MAYO care I went to OHSU. The Cancer returned and after going to OHSU theDoctor there informed me I should have never quit taking it. Cancer returned and I went back on Xtandi. So far so good. Doctor said it will eventually fail to be effective and will have to undergo other treatment, chemo. I guess 14 years is better than 2 years. Do what your Doctor suggests but keep options open. Ask questions and read. There are new treatments involving CBD that are promising results. My thoughts are no one lives forever and I’ve already beat statistics.
Xtandi, Zytiga, Lupron are what they call Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADT). These, along with chemo are generally used in stage 4 prostate cancer. They all will fail at some point. Some guys get many years on ADT and others blow through them fairly quickly. Good to hear Xtandi is working.....are you taking Lupron with it? Lupron is typically taken for the duration....I get three month shots. That is SOC (Standard of Care) and FDA approved.

I've gone through all 3 ADT's and 16 sessions of chemo. Now on Radium 223 and after that will do a chemo combo and then a PARP inhibitor. Not a fun club to be a member of. Best of luck with your treatments!
Old 07-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #17
Fishsizzle
Chromer

I’ve had 2 clients, one went to a Dr in Washington, and had robot. Was very happy with results

Second went to USC, I guess they are top of the hill for prostrate. He recovered quick with minimal side effects and everything still functions

https://urology.keckmedicine.org/prostate-cancer/
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #18
chukarhunter
Steelhead

My Dad and His brother we’re both diagnosed within 2or 3 years of each other , my Dad being the first. He was dead set on surgical removal but I ran into a fellow that had been through a treatment he said my Dad really needed to look into. With some prodding he did so. It is proton therapy performed at Loma Linda university at Loma Linda California. This man I ran into had been through and encouraged my Dad to do so. He ended up going through their treatment and did so well that my Uncle didn’t even look at other options. Anybody in this position really needs to give it a look. There is a Book about a man that went through but I cannot remember the name of it. The therapy lasts about three months but the side effects are nothing like other treatments. I went down there and visited my Dad twice while he was going through it and it’s a great place. I strongly encourage any man to take a serious look at this. Good Luck and stay strong
chukarhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:58 AM   #19
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukarhunter View Post
My Dad and His brother we’re both diagnosed within 2or 3 years of each other , my Dad being the first. He was dead set on surgical removal but I ran into a fellow that had been through a treatment he said my Dad really needed to look into. With some prodding he did so. It is proton therapy performed at Loma Linda university at Loma Linda California. This man I ran into had been through and encouraged my Dad to do so. He ended up going through their treatment and did so well that my Uncle didn’t even look at other options. Anybody in this position really needs to give it a look. There is a Book about a man that went through but I cannot remember the name of it. The therapy lasts about three months but the side effects are nothing like other treatments. I went down there and visited my Dad twice while he was going through it and it’s a great place. I strongly encourage any man to take a serious look at this. Good Luck and stay strong
I’ve heard good things about proton as well
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:43 AM   #20
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

I was diagnosed with it a few months ago. Early stage. Had a prolaris test and doc said he recommends active observation with another psa test in 6 months. Eventually I’ll need treatment I’m sure. An ifish friend just opted for robotic radiation at Cyber Knife in Seattle. One week of treatment and done.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:40 AM   #21
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Wishing all of you the best with this. A friend had a procedure done in Mexico that bought him several years of "no detectable cancer." Now it is back in a nearly untreatable form. If I could send you gentlemen hope and courage, I would, but all I can do is send prayers.