Tuna Leaf Jig Rigging - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 06-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
ThePatriot
Steelhead

Default Tuna Leaf Jig Rigging

At the sportsman show in Salem this year there was a guy named Matt from Sedated Custom Rods and Tackle that made "falling leaf jigs".

Could someone share the proper way to rig it. Matt is impossible to get via email.

Is the attached picture correct?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaf Jig.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	748483  

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
Hiflyball25
Coho

These are the ones Matt rigged, I took a couple of pictures when we were at the show
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200222_095058_1593486468997.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	748493   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_095107_1593486494337.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	748495  
Hiflyball25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #3
ThePatriot
Steelhead

Default Re: Tuna Leaf Jig Rigging

Thanks that helps a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #4
adv97229
Steelhead

As a general rule of thumb I will put on split rings on both ends, attach my assist hooks onto the split rings on both ends making sure that the assist hooks are not so long that they will tangle on each other, then I run a heavy duty swivel from the split ring up where the eye of the bait is which is usually the heaviest part of the lure. You can go without the bottom assist hooks if you want but I figure why not have them there and increase chance for a hookup.
adv97229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

Flutter jigs are meant to flutter (like a leaf) as they descend mimicking a dead, wounded bait. In order for the jig to flutter correctly, the split ring goes to the jig, the solid ring attaches to the split ring and that is where you attach the hooks and main line.

I've seen many a jig fisherman put assist hooks on the lure or split ring but that interrupts even disables the flutter. It really does work differently, and you will catch more fish the more you perfect that "flutter".

"Tuning" may include (but surely not limited to) bending the lure just a little so it flutters more, adjusting or adding assist hooks, adding a treble hook to the lure, adjusting the appearance and even smoothing rough edges.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
ThePatriot
Steelhead

That’s where my confusion is. The maker of the lure had the hooks attached to the bottom of the lure and the leader on the top near the eye. (See prior pic taken at seminar)

I’ve seen pics of different flutter type lures that are rigged as u describe. the hooks and leader on the top together and possibly a second set on the bottom.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePatriot View Post
That’s where my confusion is. The maker of the lure had the hooks attached to the bottom of the lure and the leader on the top near the eye. (See prior pic taken at seminar)

I’ve seen pics of different flutter type lures that are rigged as u describe. the hooks and leader on the top together and possibly a second set on the bottom.

Exactly... "they came from the factory that way" so you'd think that was right but it isn't. Try one against the other and you'll see. there is a significant difference. Hope it helps ya! Tight lines!!!
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
builder
Tuna!

I have fished with Matt while he was developing his jigs (on Mark Youngblood's boat) and from what I recall he had assist hooks on both the top and bottom. There is a chance that could have changed in later iterations but as of last September that's how he had them rigged and they definitely caught fish.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
PharmDoc
Ifish Nate

Flutter jigs like that generally fish well with an assist or pair of assist hooks at the rear. For albacore, there really is no benefit to an upper assist on a flutter jig. Keep the assist cord shorter than typical for upper assist hooks. In this case, the way shimano flat fall jigs come rigged is a good example.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
grim
Tuna!

My recollection from the seminar was that Matt rigged with hooks top and bottom. For what its worth.
grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #11
adv97229
Steelhead

Here are some shots of how to rig....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jig 3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	748723   Click image for larger version

Name:	jig 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	748725   Click image for larger version

Name:	jig 1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	748727  
adv97229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #12
Tuna Ball
Tuna!

From what I understand, the theory behind the four hooks used for Japanese style slow pitch jigging is based on the rods that are used. These things are noodles and are super slow action. Because of this, they have less hook setting power. The tandem hooks typically used on these jigs are light wire to penetrate with less force. The extra hooks grab fins and body and help distribute load on the lighter hooks.

It is common for lures to be stored with just the bottom hooks attached. This way, you use the split ring to attach top eye of any lure in your box to the tandem hooks already tied to your leader. That may be why Matt had hooks on only the bottom of his lure? He did recommend using four hooks when I bought some from him. They look great. Can’t wait to show them to the tuna!
“Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.””
**Genesis‬ *1:26‬ *
Tuna Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #13
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

As far as I have ever seen, most flutter and flatfall jigs have the hooks on the bottom.

Flatfalls, a wider style of flutter jig, seem to rig with assist type hooks hanging from the bottom.

Most others flutter jigs, like Megabaits, Colt Snipers, any number of other fish like, slightly forward balanced jigs, typically have a treble hook at the bottom.

Assist hooks at the top, where the line attaches are usually found on Butterfly type jigs, aft balanced jigs designed primarily for vertical yank and crank jigging.

These days I mostly fish flutter types, like Colt snipers and Megabaits, both for tuna and reef fishing. Several times I've experimented with running assist hooks at the top of these jigs, and haven't been impressed with the results. Assists reduce hangups on the reef, but tend to reduce action, on the jigs I've used.