Alaska self guided fishing lodges recommendation?? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 06-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
bassmaster
Chromer

Default Alaska self guided fishing lodges recommendation??

Looking to go next year for silvers and halibut any one got any recommendations for self guided lodges ?

bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
Little Wil
Steelhead

Default Re: Alaska self guided fishing lodges recommendation??

chinookshores

Been twice....good fishing and accommodations.

They are at the sportsman show every year.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
team anarchy
Sturgeon

PM sent.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

We canceled our trip north due to reduced bag/take home limits. It's a lot of fun going and the comraudery between friends is awesome BUT...... It's a lot of money to go for a few fish. Not to mention; the reports of catch have not been good (depending on where you go).

Maybe 2021 will be better... I hope so!
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
bassmaster
Chromer

I emailed chinook waiting for a reply, what town were you going to to cancel ? I was looking at Ketchikan or Petersburg and maybe POW but open to anywhere just don’t wanna pay a small fortune. Just want to catch a lot of fish with a good group of friends been a crap year for me so gonna need a good vacation
Old 06-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
ArtfulDodger
Steelhead

Doc Warner's near Juneau is a good outfit. I was there two years ago and I'll be there again in just over a month.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #7
gulfstream
Cutthroat

Clover pass Ketchikan If you go get the 20 footer
gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
Arne K
Ifish Nate

My wife and I went to Ketchikan this time last year. We fished with a charter (Baranoff) one day and rented a boat from Knudson Cove another day. I was a little disappointed with the fishing. The halibut we caught with the charter were really small. We did catch a whole bunch of pacific cod on the charter, which the captain found annoying but we were glad to have. I was disappointed when we ate the last of that. The day we rented a boat, we tried to halibut fish but weren't able to find any in the area the boat rental agreement restricted us to. We didn't get any more cod that day either. Pink salmon were easy to catch and the limit was 6 per day. They're OK smoked but kind of mushy when cooked on a grill or in a pan. Locals actually use them for bait sometimes. My impression is that due to it being a cruise ship port, it is really heavily fished within range of an afternoon charter trip so you have to get farther out for decent fishing. All that said, we did go into it totally cold and pretty much just followed leads from the tackle shop in town and the marina we rented from. If you could get some solid intel from someone who fishes there frequently (or you are just a better fisherman than me), you will probably do better.

It's an interesting town. It's sort of like a combination of an Oregon fishing town and Cozumel, Mexico. Down by the port, it is endless tourist attractions and shopping. They have the same stuff you would find in a Caribbean cruise port except it's all Moose and Bear instead of dolphins and sea turtles. They get up to 12,000 visitors a day but by evening, the port area is like a ghost town. Away from the port, it was an average, working fishing town. We stayed at The Landing hotel and it was very nice and had free shuttles to various places. The Cedars will flash freeze and pack your fish so that you can check it as luggage on your flight home. Flights from Oregon were easy and relatively inexpensive. There's a creek outside of town where you can watch black bears come down to within about 50 yards and pose for photos. Bald eagles are everywhere you look. I'm pretty sure they outnumbered seagulls.

I would recommend Ketchikan as a destination but definitely do your homework if your main goal is fishing.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:41 PM   #9
robby
Steelhead

+2 for clover pass resort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #10
gonfishenagin

Calder Mountain Lodge Point Baker Alaska. Very north western tip of Prince of Wales island.

member of CCA ,& the NRA. Former Never again member or supporter of NW Steelheaders
gonfishenagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #11
whatsenough
Coho

Rocky point resort.
great fishing better food and the nicest people you will meet

Last edited by whatsenough; 06-30-2020 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling
whatsenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #12
Curb2day
Coho

Majestic Eagle.....near Rocky Point. Their boats are bigger.....not skiffs. Great Food, cool individual cabins, good gps on the boats. We caught 600 lbs of Halibut 30 minutes from the lodge docks in 34' of water. Silvers showed up day after a rain shower about 5 minutes away from lodge.....Later in August. If you catch too much fish for their onsite coolers.....they take it to commercial freezer in town (Petersburg).
Curb2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #13
bassmaster
Chromer

thank you all for the info so far I would love to fish POW but no lodge will let me book till after this years clients are there and have a chance to rebook first. And curious about logistic of get to and from POW with hopefully a lot of fish going home. Looking for a few good places in Ketchikan I’ve emailed a lot of places talked to fishbaran in Sitka seems top notch and the guy I talked to is from here in Oregon Rocky and majestic I’ve talked to rocky majestic hasn’t responded both seem like great Petersburg options and all meals made for you are good after fishing hard every day
Old 07-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
Chukarhead
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne K View Post
My wife and I went to Ketchikan this time last year. We fished with a charter (Baranoff) one day and rented a boat from Knudson Cove another day. I was a little disappointed with the fishing. The halibut we caught with the charter were really small. We did catch a whole bunch of pacific cod on the charter, which the captain found annoying but we were glad to have. I was disappointed when we ate the last of that. The day we rented a boat, we tried to halibut fish but weren't able to find any in the area the boat rental agreement restricted us to. We didn't get any more cod that day either. Pink salmon were easy to catch and the limit was 6 per day. They're OK smoked but kind of mushy when cooked on a grill or in a pan. Locals actually use them for bait sometimes. My impression is that due to it being a cruise ship port, it is really heavily fished within range of an afternoon charter trip so you have to get farther out for decent fishing. All that said, we did go into it totally cold and pretty much just followed leads from the tackle shop in town and the marina we rented from. If you could get some solid intel from someone who fishes there frequently (or you are just a better fisherman than me), you will probably do better.

It's an interesting town. It's sort of like a combination of an Oregon fishing town and Cozumel, Mexico. Down by the port, it is endless tourist attractions and shopping. They have the same stuff you would find in a Caribbean cruise port except it's all Moose and Bear instead of dolphins and sea turtles. They get up to 12,000 visitors a day but by evening, the port area is like a ghost town. Away from the port, it was an average, working fishing town. We stayed at The Landing hotel and it was very nice and had free shuttles to various places. The Cedars will flash freeze and pack your fish so that you can check it as luggage on your flight home. Flights from Oregon were easy and relatively inexpensive. There's a creek outside of town where you can watch black bears come down to within about 50 yards and pose for photos. Bald eagles are everywhere you look. I'm pretty sure they outnumbered seagulls.

I would recommend Ketchikan as a destination but definitely do your homework if your main goal is fishing.

That's a fair assessment--I fish Ketchikan for a week+ every year. Research is key. If I'd stayed where you did, fished how you did, I wouldn't go back. Self-guided fishing this time of year can be tough without substantial local knowledge or a substantial boat and knowledge. By mid-August, though, those silvers start showing up in force close in (within skiff range).

For Ketchikan area, recommendations above for Clover Pass and Chinook Shores are good. Knudson Cove can put together a lodging/boat package, too. In any case, get on a good charter early in the trip to learn the ropes and start your trip with a solid foundation of full fish boxes. It takes the pressure off, and sets you up for success.

For POW, I don't know of any west-side self-guided options, and the west side is where the truly excellent all-around fishing is. For coho and halibut, east side will be good in August/early September.
Chukarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #15
muskeg
Coho

I would be surprised if the SE closure on nonpelagic rockfish is a one season deal. I'm thinking it will be closed for awhile. When you fish on a Charter you are restricted to one Halibut (less than 40 Inches in length) ... DIY you can kill 2 Butts of any size per day. By late August / early Sept there should be plenty of Pinks & Silvers in the bays. During Sept Coho stream fishing is very popular on POW Island because of the road system offering many steams to choose from and Lodges / B&B's to choose from. Bait in streams opens Sept 15 but fishing with spinners before that date can be great if there aren't to many Humpies in the way.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Salmon runs the last few years have been a disappointment to say the least.

I expect restrictions on travel to Alaska to continue into the fall.

Last edited by muskeg; 07-01-2020 at 10:20 AM.
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #16
CB-1
Steelhead

Another vote for Calder Mt lodge. Aka Port Protection
CB-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #17
gonfishenagin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
thank you all for the info so far I would love to fish POW but no lodge will let me book till after this years clients are there and have a chance to rebook first. And curious about logistic of get to and from POW with hopefully a lot of fish going home. Looking for a few good places in Ketchikan I’ve emailed a lot of places talked to fishbaran in Sitka seems top notch and the guy I talked to is from here in Oregon Rocky and majestic I’ve talked to rocky majestic hasn’t responded both seem like great Petersburg options and all meals made for you are good after fishing hard every day
Calder Mountain lodge has had some cancellations this year. You could head up as soon as Friday. I will be heading there soon myself for tha annual meat haul

This is from their Facebook page

member of CCA ,& the NRA. Former Never again member or supporter of NW Steelheaders
gonfishenagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #18
Chukarhead
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
I would be surprised if the SE closure on nonpelagic rockfish is a one season deal. I'm thinking it will be closed for awhile. When you fish on a Charter you are restricted to one Halibut (less than 40 Inches in length) ... DIY you can kill 2 Butts of any size per day. By late August / early Sept there should be plenty of Pinks & Silvers in the bays. During Sept Coho stream fishing is very popular on POW Island because of the road system offering many steams to choose from and Lodges / B&B's to choose from. Bait in streams opens Sept 15 but fishing with spinners before that date can be great if there aren't to many Humpies in the way.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Salmon runs the last few years have been a disappointment to say the least.

I expect restrictions on travel to Alaska to continue into the fall.

I tend to agree...but the upper charter limit has changed on June 16 to 45" (i.e., about 40lb), self-guided halibut with any regularity are often challenging for new guys, they opened slope rockfish (they're not yelloweye, but they're easy to find), and the travel restrictions are really not a big deal. Get tested, go fishing. Pixel by LabCorp was super simple and totally discomfort-free for my group this year.

On salmon, disappointing in SE AK is a far cry from disappointing down here.
Chukarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #19
bassmaster
Chromer

Unfortunately im going through some medical stuff so 2021 is the soonest i can go a lot of lodges wont book until return clients get there chance to rebook. all the ones on POW being that way Ive halibut fished a ton just not in Alaska.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #20
riverratt33
Chromer

sealsfamilyalaskanlodge
Randy runs a great operation. Worth checking into, and they are already booking for the 2021 season.. Tell him Rob sent ya..
riverratt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:11 AM   #21
NEUTRON
Sturgeon

Thorne Bay Lodge.
Buckeye Troll club, #1 poison nut hater. Cry Feeesh Member 91.
NEUTRON is offline   Reply With Quote