OchocoRes - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 06-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Default OchocoRes

Went there today with my cousin. First time there and with water so low in Prineville Res figure I'd give Ochoco a shot. Water also very low, Was below the dock. Put in the boat and my cousin beached it to pick me up. Got a bunch of small bass near the dam then went to the other end. No wake area there too, went in and fished along rocks and ended up with two limit's of rather small bass and 10 or 15 big crappie. Smallest was 10" biggest was 12", biggest crappie by far I've ever seen. Looks like when it full there's lot's of submerged brush along the shore line. Definitely gonna try if again, probably next week and later when it fills. Those big crappie caught my attention!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
Oldbendagain
Coho

Don, I noticed on a thread from last year that you fished for bullhead at Prineville Reservoir. Ochoco used to have bullhead in the very upper stretch. No idea if they are still present or if they have dwarfed.
Oldbendagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Default Re: OchocoRes

We tried a little but no luck. Probably just don't know my way around ell enough. My son has caught bull heads there>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
puckfisher
Tuna!

Good news on Ochoco. Water on Prineville is just fine. Boat launches at state park and powder house in great shape. Plenty of water to float your boat. Fishing is still great. Crappies are not shallow but you can find them in 10-15 ft. Water and still hungry. Females I cleaned today still loaded with eggs. Do not anchor and wait. Move frequently. All fish 10-11 inches, no brutes. Flyrods still producing.
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #5
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfisher View Post
Good news on Ochoco. Water on Prineville is just fine. Boat launches at state park and powder house in great shape. Plenty of water to float your boat. Fishing is still great. Crappies are not shallow but you can find them in 10-15 ft. Water and still hungry. Females I cleaned today still loaded with eggs. Do not anchor and wait. Move frequently. All fish 10-11 inches, no brutes. Flyrods still producing.
That's great! I had a tuff time last week there but took two kids with me more interested in running around in the boat. Brush all out of water in ochoco and dock out of the water, pain launching and getting picked up again. One thing I did learn there was to fish the rock's better. With no brush, I had no choice. Only got 16 crappie in two trips, only three the second day. First day spent figuring out the lake but got 9 crappie and 9 ass Crappie ran from 10 inch' the biggest at 12 1/4". Son want's to go to Ochoco but I'm wanting back on Prineville Res. Need to figure out the rocks! Taking him over maybe Monday or Tuesday. He want's Ochoco fr the catsfish. Didn't try much for them there.

My last trip to Prineville Res was with the kids last week. Boat ramp was fine but all the brush was out f the water. I like to put in at jasper point and go back to the brush but all the brush was out of the water. Planning on at least once a week this summer/fall.