Take a kid fishing-NOT!! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2001 archives

Old 12-30-2001, 07:09 PM   #1
David Johnson
King Salmon

Default Take a kid fishing-NOT!!

About two weeks ago we were taking out at Donaldson's on the Wilson and there was a truck that was running sitting near the put-in and no one was around. We thought, "that's weird, no one's around and they left their truck running."

There were two guys up the river fishing on the bank but they were not even in sight.

We cleaned our fish and I walked up and backed my truck down. No body hadn't cam around so one of my cleints walked up and looked in side. There was a todler in a car seat, crying!

Just then another boat pulled up. We mentioned it to them it turned out one of them was a retired State Trooper. He went to his truck and phoned in to the police.

We left but wondered what the outcome was.

I saw the guys from the other boat fishing on the Wilson this week and asked them what happened.

It turns out about ten minutes after we left three OSP and two Sherif showed up. Sounds like the guy is facing charges.

He also had a steelhead and didn't have it tagged so they pinched him for that too.

David Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2001, 07:29 PM   #2
Smily
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Take a kid fishing-NOT!!

Maximum penalties. All around Todlers should not be left alone. EVER!!! That is abandonment. My heart still crys out for the 2 kids they found in Waldport (Alsea Bay)and the mother and the other kid in Embaradero(Newport). I know it's a differnet thing that happened but children are a blessing in life and should be treated as such. Too mad for anymore words on the subject.

:depressed: Not smiling :depressed:
Old 12-30-2001, 07:31 PM   #3
David Johnson
King Salmon

The wife probably told the guy you can fish but you have to watch the kid. I wonder what she said when he got home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2001, 07:44 PM   #4
Smily
Ifish Nate

Aaahhhhhhhhh.............I hope the punishment that the cops gave him was nothing compared to the Wrath of an upset mother.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Smily ]</p>
Old 12-30-2001, 07:53 PM   #5
David Johnson
King Salmon

This was no old beater of a truck either. A nice newer extendid cab.

Right Smily, he'll probably never get a hall pass again.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:52 PM   #6
Amerman
Ifish Nate

Dave,

I took out the same day after you left I guess. It totally ****** me off too and we waited around for the cops to show up. It took the cops almost 10 minutes to find the guys they were so far away. They were fishing about 300 yards up stream. As you said I think five cops showed up. I read in the local paper the next week that the cops had not yet pressed charges. I also have talked to two of the state cops involved since and neither said the guy had been charged yet. I hope they charge this guy. I was there when he finally came back to his truck with the cops and he claimed he had only been gone for 30 minutes and that he had did nothing wrong. I know I had been there for 30 minutes ( and I was well after you Dave) and the guys had their fish on the bank when I had passed them where they were fishing.

I have seen a lot of bad things before fishing but this was one of the worst. I hope his wife chewed his A$$ and some when he got home and had to explain what he had did while watching the kid that day.
Amerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 10:19 PM   #7
happybrew
Sturgeon

Somebody left a kid in her car in the parking lot of my restaurant once, and took off. Two hours after she left the restaurant, the kid came inside wondering where his mom was. We called the cops, fed the kid some ice cream and hot chocolate, and the mom showed up when the cops were talking to him. She just wanted to take the kid and go. No deal! The cops hauled her off. I was totally ticked off.

If you're going to take the kid fishing, the kid may not be on the same wavelength as you, and you just have to go with it. When you are a parent, the kids come first, no matter what. Dang that ticks me off! How could somebody do that??????? They need to throw the book at the guy. It's clearly child endangerment. What if the kid let the parking brake loose and it went down into the river? What an idiot!

happybrew
Old 12-31-2001, 04:38 AM   #8
Ryan Pultz
King Salmon

That makes me sick to hear of stuff like that. I have a three year old son who I have had to miss many of day of fishing to take care of him. Never once have I thought of leaveing him in the car wile I fished. Even if he was sleeping I would just put him in his life vest and stroller and he loves to sit buy the bank and watch daddy fish but he is always in sight and always with in arms reach, heck a stroller makes it easy to haul all that fishing gear down to the bank(haha) I have been taking my son fishing sense he was two and he loves it sometimes if he is not in the mood or just cranky we have to cut the fishing trip short. but some days he just wants to reel in what ever I have hooked the boy is three and has nailed two summer stealhead and this year he got four nice coho out of eagle creek (with daddy's help) just don't tell him that they are his fish. Nothing makes my fishing trip better then hooking up on a fishing and letting him reel it in.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Ryan Pultz ]</p>
Old 12-31-2001, 07:50 AM   #9
Seefood Man
King Salmon

I get lost for words,,,,,sometimes, so heres what I think.

That about says it!!!
Seefood Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 09:06 AM   #10
Grant Scheele
Ifish Nate

An a$$ chewing by the wife? After my wife got done literally kicking my a$$ she would be on the phone to the police to press her own charges then to her lawyer to divorce me and I would have to say that she did the right thing. That man should never be allowed alone with his kids again!
Grant Scheele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 10:42 AM   #11
CAGEY
Tuna!

Leaving a child in an unattended vehicle is against the law. Beleave the correct title is "Child Neglect" and can carry a stiff penality. Iam with the rest of you. I hope they charged him just so he will know how serious and offense it is. Usually when this happens the people are good people, they just dont have good common sense. Iam glad to see that so many people were upset and did something about it. My hat is off to all of you. Cagey.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:49 AM   #12
cureless

Things could have gone realy bad alot worse then they did. I remenber hearing of a story where a toddler was left in a car while the dad went hunting the child got out of the car and was lost in the snow and died??

What if this child got out and fell in the water
Glad I wasnt there, not sure what I would have done, wouldnt have been nice!!!
cureless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 11:19 AM   #13
THE REEL HEY_YALL

All you parents out there:

There will be plenty of time for fishing in your life; there will not be plenty of time for you to spend it with your children. I know. This is coming from a kid to you parents. Just remember that.

Things come in an order of precedence and fishing is not my top 3. All 3 of these things are guaranteed to come first, before I even think about fishing.

David, it was a tough call on your part; maybe it wasn't. You did the right thing in my opinion. He should have his fishing license revoked and be assigned 2,000 community service hours being the guy who answers the phone for Missing and Exploited Children or the guy who prints the faces on the milk cartons. Maybe then he will have been humbled in my opinion.
THE REEL HEY_YALL is offline   Reply With Quote