Thats my biggest problem!!!

Rippenlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2001, 03:44 PM   #122
Ramstrong
Tuna!

Default Re: North River Boats

OMG Jon, I've never seen a post go to 4 before. Look at what you've started. Well now that your lighter is wired properly we can get the tv/vcr working. Springer season is going to rock. If only we could find a way to get the DVD player from Kevin.
Team "Lawbreaker"

[email protected]
Ramstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 05:19 PM   #123
Deleted User

Cool to be on a 4th page! Hey 212hjet, I was just kidding around about my flat 'tub'. I would much rather bring my cataraft to run Idaho's great Salmon River. Awesome place for sure. - RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2001, 05:34 PM   #124
212hjet
Steelhead

RT I would rather have had your Cataraft than my boat (sail) last spring trying to fish the Columbia. Those sleds were doing fine! Get a float permit for the Salmon River this summer (before the water runs out..probably by the end of June this year)and I'll jet up and meet you on the beach in front of the old James Ranch for one heck of a cookout/evening/chat session....w/beers of course! Have you been on it in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness before? Gorgeous, huge white sandy beaches and wildlife galore.....even on some of the beaches when the floaters are camped there!! Rich
Old 02-01-2001, 06:30 PM   #125
Nanook

With 4 pages and 123 posts, which I did
not read one of, you did not think I was
not going to pop in here being a ****head
and not say "Willie Asaltor" did you. LOL
Old 02-02-2001, 07:56 AM   #126
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

Cigarette lighter huh.... Well I got one of those, or had one of those as the case may be. Had the top off the boat, out in the bay crabbing and I look down and see foam boiling out of my lighter hole. Didnt come with a 5 cent plastic cover. About 5 seconds after I noticed this milky foam that I had boiling out of the cigarette lighter hole my depth finder goes dead. I track down the problem to a blown fuse.

Took a few minutes to figure out what happened, but a seagull dropped me shall we say a present right in the hole. After it cooked up real nice it shorted out the system. never have got around to replacing, always give me a laugh when I see the lighter hole all rusted out thinking of that sufley (sp) I cooked up on the bay. One in a million type of thing.

By the way a great thread, very informative
Old 02-03-2001, 12:30 AM   #127
nwjetboat
Coho

RT; I'd stay away from that 212hjet guy, he drives a boat O.K., but he fishes lousy, and drinks MGD!!!
nwjetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 12:54 AM   #128
Deleted User

If MGD is all he has, I say "any port in a storm" will have to due . I'm a Missoula born boy and been along the Clearwater/Lochsa rivers many times and the upper Salmon along 93 into Stanley basin a few times. Years ago I saw the spring chinook, 900+ miles from the ocean, swimming around in the hatchery ponds just up from the town, with the Sawtooths in the background. What a scenario! I haven't been in the Frank Church but I've seen pics of it taken by Montana Geographic photogs. Didn't I hear or read that small but viable populations of griz and wolf have migrated back in there in recent years? Cool. Never got to float the main Salmon or the Middle Fork. Anything that doesn't require long hikes on a crummy ankle sounds interesting to me. ... Hey, what kind of 'ranch' you talking about back in there?

[This message has been edited by RT (edited 02-03-2001).]
Old 02-03-2001, 06:44 AM   #129
eatmebaitco

RT, You may want stay away from nwjetboat
also, He drinks Crown Royal! But he drives
and fishes good......
Perry
eatmebaitco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 09:15 AM   #130
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

Mostly just wanted to get to post on the '4th' page.
My final 2 cents on the NR topic is this; Saw a new white 21'NorthRiver with top up being pulled down highway 30 by a new white fullsized Dodge pickup, yesterday.............it was a thing of BEAUTY, awe inspiring, I still feel shakey. I've never seen a tin boat built with nicer lines.
Old 02-03-2001, 09:18 AM   #131
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

Mostly just wanted to get to post on the '4th' page.
My final 2 cents on the NR topic is this; Saw a new white 21'NorthRiver with top up being pulled down highway 30 by a new white fullsized Dodge pickup, yesterday.............it was a thing of BEAUTY, awe inspiring, I still feel shakey. I've never seen a tin boat built with nicer lines.
Old 02-03-2001, 04:38 PM   #132
eatmebaitco

212hjet, Didn't say a thing about his boating skills!!!HeHeHe......
But Seriously,
All of the manufactures make a good boat,
they are just as safe as the driver......
Perry

eatmebaitco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 04:52 PM   #133
boater
Tuna!

there`s nothin like a hot cup of coffee in the mornin on my boat when its cold with a bit of peach schnapps in it.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 05:12 PM   #134
whitewaterbill
Chromer

A couple of sips of peach Brandy will make me chase cars.....After the 4th sip I chase parked cars. I am Ready for the Sturgeon on Sunday.....As Pilar says....The church of the bent rod.

Bill
Ifish Member #148
whitewaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2001, 06:05 PM   #135
Pirate
Ifish Nate

I was supposed to go to the Auto Show in Portland today, but illness in the family scratched that, so I went to the Eugene boat show instead (yes!). It was disappointing compared to the Portland Boat show, but still a lot bettet than the Auto Show. Not much selection of boats by any one, but North
River still had the best priced and best looking boats there. We'll see how the Sportsman's Show turns out.

------------------
B
Old 02-03-2001, 07:58 PM   #136
Rippenlips
Steelhead

Have they touched the pump yet? NorthriverB.
Old 02-03-2001, 10:47 PM   #137
Deleted User

Hey 212 and you Idaho guys, the next time I'm over that way I would love to go for a jetbaot ride up into Hell's Canyon or the Salmon. I'd gladly pay for the gas and beer for that! Likely it will be the next summer I drive the family over to Missoula, or go with a buddy or 2 to flycast some dries up the Selway. My e-mail is within the profile and envelope icons at the top of my posts. ... Cool to have you guys on here now! Thanks. - Steve
Old 02-04-2001, 12:05 AM   #138
212hjet
Steelhead

RT...Pay no attention to those other Idaho boys (one's from Lousinana for God's sake and who knows where the others from)...they've been beating their heads around so long on whitewater that they are now called "quarter-wits"....sad but true! I'm a Lewiston, Id. born boy, raised along the banks of the Clearwater, fishing the Lochsa before the road went through to Montana (are you that old, too...bet you hope not). It was through, however when I was in high school and I use to drive to Missoula on weekends to see those wonderful Montana girls......opps...a different story...send me your e-mail addres and we will swap stories of that era and the fabulous fishing up there.
The Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness has a Wild & Scenic river corridor running through it. There are several pieces of private property in it and the James Ranch is an old one with a cabin on the river with a nice beach in front. No to a few wolves.....many now....a feew gizzs...probably. Get over this way in the spring/summer and we will try to show it to you.
PS to EatMeBaitCo: What have you been smokin?? NWjetboater scared his wife so badly she wouldn't ride with him for over a year!!!!!.....besides that, I'm tired of pullin his boat out of Hell's Canyon for him...someday he might learn how to drive these things...maybe!
Old 02-04-2001, 12:12 AM   #139
Pirate
Ifish Nate

Rippen
Not sure what you mean.....

------------------
B
Old 02-04-2001, 06:50 AM   #140
Rippenlips
Steelhead

Is it fixed yet? NorthriverB.
Old 02-04-2001, 06:33 PM   #141
Rippenlips
Steelhead

Sorry, NorthriverB. A little to early, the wires are still shorted. I was wondering how long it was going to take for NR to fix Daves boat.
Old 02-05-2001, 12:50 AM   #142
Pirate
Ifish Nate

I believe it was NorRivDave with the pump problems and I think they are taking care of him.

------------------
B
Old 02-05-2001, 10:13 AM   #143
Osprey
Tuna!

Holy Catfish Batman,4-pages and not once did you Boys mentioned Almar Boats,do see too many,but I know they still make em .

Summertime float in Idaho,where do I sign up...Os
Old 02-05-2001, 11:00 AM   #144
Beer Waggin
Ifish Nate

Hey Rip, North River is taking care of my pump. Parts were ordered on Friday and with any luck I'll have it back by this weekend.
Old 02-05-2001, 11:52 AM   #145
onstep
Tuna!

North River bought Almar. Which means one of two things. No more almar or almar by north river.
onstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 11:58 AM   #146
Osprey
Tuna!

Thanks..
Old 02-08-2001, 07:22 PM   #147
boater
Tuna!

anyone have a TR-1 autopilot ?? if so do you like it ??
Old 02-08-2001, 10:04 PM   #148
whitewaterbill
Chromer

TR-1....Wouldn't leave home without it. Once you have fished with one, you are hooked.

Bill
Ifish Member #148
Old 02-09-2001, 05:40 AM   #149
RKB

oops

[This message has been edited by RKB (edited 02-09-2001).]
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 05:50 AM   #150
RKB

Boater
I also have one and would not leave home without it.Use the ifish search and you will find past topics about TR-1's it will change the way you fish and amount of joy you get.
RT you talked about trim tabs on page one becareful of what you put them on they won't work on my boat unless I don't care about going into reverse

RKB

[This message has been edited by RKB (edited 02-09-2001).]
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 12:39 AM   #151
Deleted User

RKB, thanks for the trim tab alert. I was under the impression that proper types of T-tabs, properly installed, would work on most any boat - especially aluminum sleds. This should be ascertained before putting them on. - RT
Old 02-11-2001, 08:13 AM   #152
Biteme
Ifish Nate

I am sorry to hear of so many bad experiences with north rivers quality. I had a new sled built in 99 an northriver was one of the ones I considered, as well as thunderjet, jetcraft, customweld and so on. I have friends that own northrivers and they swear by them, but these were built over 3 years ago. I have heard from alot of people that most of the custom boat manufactures are suffering quality proplems, one reason is that in the last 5 to 10 years the custom sled industry has grown extremely fast and I think most manufactures have had trouble keeping up with it. it is because of this that quality has suffered. I went with Jetcraft and have 200+ hours on my 1999 21 ft fastwater inboard, I have had Zero problems with it other than a broken armrest on my seat ( a result of a unseen rock in the river). I also would like to mention that the transom on the Jetcraft is a double transom reinforced around the pump mount. I have the kodiak 3 stage pump and grease it at 25-30 hour intervals.

------------------
Dennis H.
Old 02-11-2001, 11:57 AM   #153
boater
Tuna!

a question ? i hear people talk about the inboard boats being double or even some having 1' thick reiforcements where the pump bolts to the rear of the boat, can someone tell me why they need this ? the whole unit is one peice that is inside the boat and is bolted to the bottom of the boat to usualy 3/16" or 1/4" bottoms with about 16 bolts and then is tied into the transom with another 8 bolts or so, maybe i`m totaly wrong but if the transom is 3/16" i think it would be plenty, i realy dont see the point of anything more other than if you slam somthing hard enough that the pump will break off and not hurt anything inside the boat. ??? just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by boater (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old 02-11-2001, 09:04 PM   #154
nwjetboat
Coho

Boater:The reinforced transom is not to protect the pump so much as to keep the transom from wrinkling when you impact a rock. 3/16's may sound like a lot, but I've seen a transom buckled so bad both drain plugs wouldn't come out. And when you buckle one, the motor/pump combo has to come out making the repair more expensive.
nwjetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2001, 10:44 AM   #155
212hjet
Steelhead

Boater: believe it or not nwjetboat is correct this time!! Inboards are quite heavy compared to sleds...particularly the transom area when on step at 28+ mph and all weight is on the last 6' or so of the entire 20 - 22' boat. Probably 50% of all rocks hit while running make contact around the pump area and the boat slides along that rock (horizontally) until the transom gets there...then the horizontal creasing ends abruptly and all force is exerted vertically from the rock into a small area on the bottom of the transom. The double transom can help to strengthen this area and allow the stern to rise enough to prevent major damage......but sometimes it can create more damage if hit hard enough because it prevents the transom from wrinkling easily and puts all that pressure on ripping the pump away from the grate and the motor away from the mounts or mounts away from the latteral beams. Its a real bugger hitting any rock....especially those that are right at water level!!!! We get to see a # of "banged" to "REALLY BANGED" boats over here. It may not be pretty, but it is definately interesting.....so long as its not MY boat!! Have fun....ever wonder why they don't post those "WATCH FOR ROCKS" yellow diamond signs on the river?!
Old 02-12-2001, 05:55 PM   #156
boater
Tuna!

i seen a bentz sled at auburn sports, while i looked it over i seen that they had welded a piece of 1/4 " aluminum to the transom even with the bottom about a foot wide and maybe a foot and a half long so it would protect the pump, they had a brace on it that bolted up to the anode with the same 2 bolts, it makes sence that it would protect the pump, it was like a little extension of the bottom so it would keep sliding over a rock and not hit the pump, have you ever seen this ??
Old 02-13-2001, 08:17 AM   #157
212hjet
Steelhead

Boater: Interesting....I haven't seen this....most of us will not attach anything to the exterior part of the pump like you've described, because the pressure from a rock would likely crack the housing at the attachment point (bolts?) or around the grate where it atttaches to the boat. Remember this is about 4000#s pushing up on whatever it rests on last!! The nozzle end is normally elevated a few inches and will clear a rock that the boat has slid over. The nozzle is protected from the side by pump guards that curve around the sides and down to the bottom of the transom. For what its worth....by the way, was this a Darrell Bentz built boat out of Lewiston, Idaho....he builds a very quality whitewater boat....didn't know that he built flat bottoms (sleds)?
Old 02-13-2001, 05:15 PM   #158
boater
Tuna!

212- it was a vee sled with a 460 in it, probly a 20 or more footer, it was welded on the pad and extended back, and another flat plate was welded onto it length wise and bolted to the pump.
Old 02-14-2001, 05:49 PM   #159
Deleted User

It never ceases to amaze me how people can go on about a subject upon which they have no basis of knowledge. I see people asking each other what their boat sepcifications are, what their floor structure is like, and even how to lube their hardware
It seems like the manufacturer would be the first place to look when seeking answers to these type of questions and/or problems. Either that or take a look at your boat yourself. Get into it and find out what makes it tick. If you want to know how wide is your beam, get out a measuring tape and use it! So many people treat their vessel as some sort of toy when it is a working piece of machinery, just like your pickup you use to haul your boat. My point is, a little education can go a long way. Don't take your buddies advice; See for yourself.
Old 02-14-2001, 08:10 PM   #160
boater
Tuna!

jetstud, i dont mean to be a jerk, but what makes you an expert ?. i realize that people should know the specs on the thickness of there boats and how it is put together but they dont, you cant buy a boat on looks alone.

[This message has been edited by boater (edited 02-14-2001).]
Old 02-14-2001, 08:17 PM   #161
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Jetdud, if I asked the manufacturers who had the strongest floor, Thunderjet would tell me their's is the strongest, Northriver would tell me theirs is the strongest, Duckworth would tell me... you get the point. You can't put a price on the info available on this site, so keep the opinions coming, even if you're just trashing my TJ

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Salmonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 09:15 PM   #162
boater
Tuna!

hows that thunderthing runnig these days, catching any fish ??
Old 02-14-2001, 09:32 PM   #163
WaterDog
King Salmon

WOW the topic that never dies! I jusst wanted to post on the 5 page!

Seriously,

Sal is correct, they all say their's is the best. How many folks know their trucks inside and out? How many have bought a 1/2 ton when they should have got a 3/4ton. Live and learn. That's why we're here!
Old 02-14-2001, 09:50 PM   #164
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Boater, last trip was @ Hood River a few weeks back, 4 keepers. Might be back up there this saturday if not at Newport hammering lings. Was supposed to fish the Siletz but cancelled due to the lack of H20.

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Old 02-14-2001, 10:04 PM   #165
Deleted User

I just wanted to post on a 5th page too. I fell asleep about page 3 so thought I'd check it out again; because it's seemingly the Energizer Bunny thread! With so much talk about nuts and wide bottoms here I'm suprised Richard Simmons hasn't gotten wind of this thread thru a net search engine, and tried to sell you some videos . ...

I do have one Q for you though Sal - I think it's a repeat so excuse if I didn't see an answer. The Whitewater Marine V-sled I had in the 80's had the full length triangular folds stamped into the sheet metal sides and bottom, which are supposed to incorporate structural rigidity and strength; much the way 1x2 welded rib structure inside would do. Did you ask your TJ builder about this, and if that was a factor in how much support structure is, or isn't, built inside the hull? Just curious. - RT
Old 02-14-2001, 10:19 PM   #166
Salmonator
Sturgeon

I believe I saw the welded rib structure last time I looked but i'll look again. Trying to understand what you are describing in your boat. Are you saying that the lifting strakes were formed into the bottom of your whitewater? I have 4 welded strakes and an overlayed chine (no extrusion). I do have the ribs (side strakes?) formed into the sides. I noticed that on the motion marines I looked at while shopping, these were welded on and the sides were wavy from the tacks. Joe

Old 02-15-2001, 09:28 AM   #167
onstep
Tuna!

I believe RT is talking about compounding the aluminum to create strength. You take a flat sheet and put a series of folds in it and it creates rigidity and strength ( increase of section modulus). Lots of builders do it for that and because its cheaper than extrusion fit designs. Most of the customweld, thunderjet, northwest jets, and entry level northwest style boats do this. I don't believe duckworth does this anymore they use an extruded gunwale, however the from the looks of diagrams it is a weak design. The Magnum and Ultra Magnum series used to be compounded on the side wall, has this changed?
onstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 10:53 AM   #168
Fish4Fun
Steelhead

Just like the rest of you wanted to get on page 5. Seriously though this topic has a ton of info to guys who do not know the sleds inside and out yet. RT, the aluminum is bent (break formed) to give it more strength. This is very common out in the idustrial sector to give strenght and keep wieght down. Duckworth still uses the flat sides while the other makers have went to forming the sides and gunnels out of single sheet. I really believe this to be a bettr way for the sides of the big sleds. But thats just my thoughts from being around metal and industry for 20 years.

Fish 4 Fun
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 11:17 AM   #169
Osprey
Tuna!

Holy Cow Batman 5 pages,looks like I'll have to mount a pump on my cat just so I can get in on this convesation....Os
Old 02-15-2001, 05:12 PM   #170
Doubletake

YES SIR!!! Wanted to get on page 5 myself.

Jetstud, I guess from your home page you work at TJ. You must own one, I am curious as to your input on how the strength is built in to the hull of the TJ's. I own a Luxor 19', so far it does all I want and hasn't sank. Just curious.

Doubletake
Doubletake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 05:18 PM   #171
Doubletake

Jetstud, I guess from your home page you work at TJ. You must own one, I am curious as to your input on how the strength is built in to the hull of the TJ's. I own a Luxor 19', so far it does everything I want it to. Just curious.

Doubletake
Old 02-15-2001, 05:22 PM   #172
Doubletake

Jetstud, I guess from your home page you work at TJ. You must own one, I am curious as to your input on how the strength is built in to the hull of the TJ's. I own a Luxor 19', so far it does everything I want it to. Just curious.

Doubletake
Old 02-15-2001, 06:08 PM   #173
DF
Sturgeon

WOW! what a long topic!
I have never been in a jet sled but I like the looks of north river sleds

------------------
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work
Member #545
DF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 06:53 PM   #174
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Thunderjet employee?? DJ is that you??? Did I typo your moniker? You can see how easy it would be to accidentally type Jetdud instead of Jetstud..... can't you? Oh geez, there goes my 50% sponsorship...

Old 02-15-2001, 08:34 PM   #175
boater
Tuna!

you made no mistake, i think jetdud is the correct name.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:19 PM   #176
Ramstrong
Tuna!

Page 5, hah! I bet it makes it to page 6.
Team "Lawbreaker"

[email protected]
Ramstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 09:26 PM   #177
DF
Sturgeon

I have herd alot of good things about North River Jet Boats. What do you guys think?

------------------
Member #545
Old 02-15-2001, 09:46 PM   #178
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Dustin....

Since you asked.... I think they are great boats and if I go for more than a week without taking mine out to fish or play...I get very crabby and start to shake until I can get it out in the river and running!!!

Page 5....I made it!!!!

Bill
Ifish Member #148
Old 02-15-2001, 10:42 PM   #179
DF
Sturgeon

WOW! thats cool
im only 16 so when I get older and have a good job I WANT ONE!
dont the have a liftime hull warrenty?

------------------
Member #545
Old 02-16-2001, 12:33 AM   #180
THE REEL HEY_YALL

Your wife just said that it better not be the one in the top dresser drawer O's......muh ha ha ha ha

At least I contributed to the longest message thread ever.
THE REEL HEY_YALL is offline   Reply With Quote