North River Boats - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2001 archives

Old 01-29-2001, 05:55 PM   #61
boater
Tuna!

Default Re: North River Boats

3/16" sides on a northriver, ive heard it all now.

boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2001, 06:36 PM   #62
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Thanks for the vote of confidence bill! The only porposing i've ever heard of is in the smaller SJ boats. And it's the only negative i've heard from my buddy regarding his 19 footer. I've fished out of it a few times and it is a very solid boat albeit slightly tight for space, which i'm sure will never be a problem in your big green machine... Joe

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Salmonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 07:07 PM   #63
Deleted User

Joe, I had Koffler boats build me a custom 15' lightweight sled back around the late 70's to use with a Riffle Runner (I will try to find a pic of it and post it - it will make most of you appreciate your boats more ). It was the predicessor to their 'Kenai Lite' sled. It began to get tiny weld cracks along the chine and slight warping of the bottom from running big waves (and doing 1 helacious 'wheelstand' ), with too little structural support. I took it back and Bruce gladly bolstered the bottom with additional 1" x 2" aluminum longitudinals (sp?) welded in for most of the length of the boat, with some laterals added on top of those; and rewelded the chine weld cracks, for free. My point is that if you remove your flooring and find what has been described by others about your TJ, you can have the builder or a qualified person weld in additional support structure to the bottom and a couple extra motor mounts while they are at it; for extra durability and peace of mind. They may do it for free. If not, since you would already have the floorboards removed it shouldn't cost too much money or time to have done. If it only has maybe two 1x2 long.'s between the side and center support, then they can add 2 more; per side. Then they can add more lateral 1x2's on top of those (the 90 degree angled uppers). Does that make any sense? Wish I could draw things along with posts. Let us know how it works out for you. - Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2001, 07:33 PM   #64
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Thanks for the post Steve. I don't think i'll be tearing up the floor anytime soon, but I will talk to DJ up at TJ about their hull construction. My guess is that I have nothing to worry about but some input from the manufacturer would be nice. In the case of any weld cracks, TJ has a lifetime hull warranty, like most manufacturers I believe.
****, I believe you have .125 sides unless you have a custom jobbie. I'm giving you the benefit of a typo which seems more than Boater wants to give you... Joe

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Old 01-29-2001, 08:33 PM   #65
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Boater......Thank you for pointing out my error so graciously....I stand corrected at .125. I stand behind what I said about the boat also ....been there and done that for 5 years and 550 hours!!
Ifish Member #148
whitewaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 08:45 PM   #66
boater
Tuna!

north river are nice looking boats, i almost bought one, was within an hour of doing so then bought a wooldridge classic and am very happy,

[This message has been edited by boater (edited 01-29-2001).]
Old 01-29-2001, 08:56 PM   #67
whitewaterbill
Chromer

boater.....Better luck next time!!!
Ifish Member #148
Old 01-29-2001, 09:06 PM   #68
boater
Tuna!

very funny, i wanted an all aluminum boat, not aluminum and bondo.

[This message has been edited by boater (edited 01-29-2001).]
Old 01-29-2001, 09:26 PM   #69
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Sorry boater.....Did not mean to upset you. I have fished out of several Wooly's over the last 30 years and they are great boats also. The one I remember most was an inboard... center drive and if any of us went forward of the windshield toward the bow the trolling motor came out was the water. I always thought it was because of how they bend that bow up like they do. They have most likely fixed that by now.

Nice boats though!

Bill

Ifish Member #148
Old 01-29-2001, 09:35 PM   #70
boater
Tuna!

wow, you must be fat lmao
Old 01-29-2001, 10:19 PM   #71
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Boater, i'm sure the Woolridges are tough boats but I didn't want to buy something that looked like a backyard project. BTW why do you see so few on the water?? Seems like they've been around for a long time yet i'm lucky if I see one anywhere I go. Maybe they're popular up in the Seattle area.

Old 01-29-2001, 10:23 PM   #72
Deleted User

Does anybody have any idea what ever became of NorRivDave and his jet problem? As I recall, he was the one that got this entire discussion going.

Old 01-29-2001, 10:33 PM   #73
Deleted User

Finclipped, there's a major design difference between the Southern Oregon Builders and the Idaho boys. Motors and jets are extremely similar. You can pretty much pick whatever power/jet option you want from almost any builder.
The difference is in the design. Drive a TJ, Northwest, or Duck then hope into a North River or Jetcraft. It's night and day. You can't tell as much if your riding along on a demo ride, because those drivers of pros, but when you feel the difference for yourself you'll agree.
Old 01-29-2001, 10:44 PM   #74
backlash
Steelhead

Backlash 2, I don't want to start an aluminum boat war here but I have to disagree on your statement that Alumaweld is just a name. I have had 2 in the past, both were all that was advertised, tough, well running boats with few problems.I am in the process of upgrading again and am planning on a Formula Vee. I would be interested in hearing about all of the boats that are built better, because as of yet, I have'nt seen one, though I do believe North River makes a damn quality boat.It's like anything else in this world, you get what you pay for. I am not at all against the Idaho boats, the fact is, I just don't run huge whitewater. I think you also have to look at the issue of dealer network. Say what you want about Stevens Marine, but I have found them very helpful.(yes,even after the sale)
backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 10:50 PM   #75
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Beav, what is the difference you speak of. I had a few turns behind the wheel of my friends 19' NR and there is no significant difference that I could tell between it and my TJ other than his porpoised quite a bit. I test drove an 18' Intruder SJ and a Motion Marine 18' SJ and between those and the NR there wasn't a noticeable difference in everyday river-running. They all drove really nice, turn on a dime and I couldn't throw the @ss end out of any of them. My buddies previous boat was an 18' Mojet. It was solid red and I believe it was used in many of their sales flyers. I ran that boat up the N. Santiam from the mouth to Greens Bridge with him in some skinny water and boy did it handle nice. We even boated a nice native steelie backtrolling that Sportjet. He eventually ended up piling it up on a rock up in the S. Santiam and damaging the hull near the intake. MM totalled the boat out. He then went with NR and he's pretty happy.

Old 01-29-2001, 11:10 PM   #76
Hookset
King Salmon

Maybe I should just stay out of this one, oh maybe not.

Almost two years ago I started looking for a new sled to replace my 91" Alumaweld. I went to the boat shows, took some test drives, visted several maunfacturers. I compared the fit, finish and construction along with price and had a boat built to my specs. I did get real hung up on construction and decided not buy a boat with poor under floor support. I'm not going to mention any names (first letter starts with A) but I did hear a number of people speak very poorly on one particular brand of boat. Then someone pointed out a common theme in the better built boats, a limited lifetime warranty. With a good warranty even a poorly built boat could be fixed for free, at least that was their argument. So, is this a better way to look at buying a boat? Get a good warranty and maybe some of the headaches will not seem so bad.

The boats I did not look at and really wish I would have are Sea People and Boice boats out of Gold Beach. From the boaters I talked to with theses boats, looked like a lot of boat for the money and a very nice looking design. Still, I'd want to look under the flooring first.

As already mentioned, do the homework before writing the check.

In case anyone is wondering, I purchased a Boulton Powerboat open model sled made near Medford. Mike was really a great guy to work with.

hook

Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 12:30 AM   #77
Salmonator
Sturgeon

NR's website shows transom specs to be .190 on the rangers, .125 on the trappers. As far as Motion Marine goes, that was the first shop I stopped at while shopping. Back then I liked the idea of a sport jet but Mark told me that he would never put one on a 20 ft boat. That was two years ago and look at what he's doing now. Also the 29" MM side height was an absolute "couldn't have" for me. If you do a lot of fishing on the big bays I believe it is a very important to not cut yourself short on the side height. The final decision was my wifes. She said Mark was too arrogant and I couldn't buy a boat from him...

Old 01-30-2001, 12:33 AM   #78
WaterDog
King Salmon

Rippinlips,
Are you on Mark's payroll? I thought I was plugging Mark's boats alot, but you take the salesman's prize.

I think this has been a very enlighting discussion. Glad to see some of our nieghbors to the east joining in. I'm thinking of possibly upgrading and the info you folks have provided is priceless.
Old 01-30-2001, 02:42 AM   #79
Deleted User

Gregg, your Boulton is one of the sweetest looking and built open OB motor sleds I have ever seen! And it's set up inside like none other I've seen; well, except for the Slutgoddess - king of the boats (except it's an inboard). ...

And you boys arguing over who has the best and worst toys are ... well, that was fun . I'll put my 80's Alumiweld 18' original dualrail gunwhale "Guide Model" (lol) flatbottomed jetsled with large trim tabs and rebuilt 6 cyl. 115 Merc/pump and new 8 Merc kicker, up against any of your overpriced boat toys anytime; running up the lower Deschutes R. or fishing anywhere . So there. Well, maybe not the ocean on windy days. ...

My ultimate 'cost no factor' fantasy sled: A 23' high side Willie Predator with 84" wide bottom, open model, latest 240 h.p. SJ w/ tiller, Merc 15 h.p. 4-cycle electric start troller, extra wide flat gunwhales made of extra durable solar power panels for all electrical needs, 5 fancy heated swivel seats with shock absorbing frames that also fold down into beds, small fridge and microwave, electric open/close high visability canvas/plastic window top that extends over the boat driver when seated fishing, super trick electric pop-up glass windshield that swings over from along the sides to just behind the step deck for running long distances, waterproof 'entertainment system' fearturing a 27" Sony TV and Bose quad stereo, built in halogen headlights to run anywhere at night, Porche paint shop putting on several coats of dark grey metalic paint, 1 ft. block silver letters spelling "F**K OFF" on both sides (jk) , every top notch boating and fishing option imaginable - including a robot that lowers and retreives the anchor and cleans the boat after fishing trips, 'paint torpedo' launchers (huge versions of paint guns) for boats that come too close, and foremost ,,,,, built entirely of high grade titanium! With that super lightweight ultra strong metal it could be built with a 3/8" bottom, with 'Super Coat-It' slipery coating on it, that will allow me to run right over exposed small rocky islands on purpose ,,, without a dent! And the 3/8" transome and 1/4" sides can be built quite high for ocean use, without it getting too heavy. As soon as I win the lottery I am going to order that $250,000.oo dream boat. - Drooling RT

[This message has been edited by RT (edited 01-30-2001).]
Old 01-30-2001, 07:54 AM   #80
Fish4Fun
Steelhead

For the guys that are looking to buy new or upgrade to a bigger nicer sled all of these are good ideas. The best one being take your time and go out to the factories and see them being built. Look at all stages of production and you will see the quality difference then. I am an ex-welder and still hold a visual weld inspection certification. Yes, most of them are built with great quality but there are still little things to look for. As I posted earlier in this thread I looked for 2 years before trading my Duckworth outboard for an inboard Weldcraft. I spent hours making comparison spread sheets for each boat. I went to the factory of each maker and delt with them instead of a salesman at a dealer. The biggest thing is on the water and how the boat handles. Inboards if set up right should drive them self with little wheel movement. Outboards will tend to pull a little and need to be driven a little more. Back to the welds, if an aluminum weld has been ground or dressed up "NO THANKS" I will look at another manufacturer. Welds should be left as welded if they are of any quality at all. Since all of the boats use 5000 series material for bottom and sides the only consideration then is bottom thickness. Most of the boats will be 3/16 bottom and 1/8 sides. The biggest thing then is what you want for creature comforts this is what will drive the price up in a hurry.

Fish 4 Fun
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 09:07 AM   #81
Backlash2
Tuna!

Well, I wasn't looking for a fight either, but..... If you take an Alumaweld, put it in half a dozen other boat builder's shop, copy it exactly, down to the pee hole in the floorboard(maybe that's not a standard option ), tack on 20% profit, and they'd still sell it cheaper than Alumaweld does. Not saying anything bad about Alumaweld boats, but you are PAYING (HEAVILY) FOR THE NAME!!!
Old 01-30-2001, 10:37 AM   #82
SLEDDER
Ifish Nate

Verbal bickering about boats is far better than bickering about the pee-ons in D.C.. Everybody has there opinion. Can't and shouldn't try to change somebodies mind. No sense in getting ****** about someone elses opinion. No sense in putting someone elses boat in the garbage either. It is fun, entertaining, and educational to read through these posts. Lets keep bickering it is a slow day at work!
Old 01-30-2001, 01:26 PM   #83
Fish4Fun
Steelhead

Jet,

I bought the Weldcraft for a couple of reasons. Quality of workmanship and price being the 2 main reasons. I was able to see my boat before it was done, no floors and interior to hide welds and such. Myself and another weld inspector have went through the boat, the welds are all fine. NO WELDS WERE GROUND!!! this was a big deal to me. The starts and stops did not have any crater cracks at all. The model that I bought is the 20 foot "Dart" inboard. I just found out that this model was dicontinued, after the merger between Duckworth & Weldcraft. I am sure it was a threat to the Duckworth Magnum sales. The 20 Dart inboard was a total package deal at a good price. I found what was standard on this package was options on others.

Like I said earlier an inboard should drive itself. The only time I hang onto the wheel is really when turning. When I am running straight on a lake or bay I rarely hold the wheel, the boat drives itself like it should. Also, there is talk about proposing by the other boat guys never had a problem with that and I carry a big cooler on the back. Max load so far was 8 fishermen and gear and we were on plane and running up on the Fraser River this past October.

Here is the package that sold me though:
Note: these were all STANDARD not options

1) 20 foot inboard
2) 99" Beam
3) 6 1/2 foot bottom
4) Sides and gunnels are one piece
5) Fixed frame top with storage trays
6) 350 chevy 325 horse
7) SD 309 American Turbine with custom hand made sheet metal intake
8) Suspension seats
9) Tandem Tricker Trailer
10) Glove box
11) Wrap around 6" stern rails
12) Anchor locker in bow
13) Under bow storage
14) Heat & defrost
15) Driver & Pass. wipers

Options: Stern cover, welded kicker bracket.

OUT THE DOOR PRICE: 27,350 there is not a boat and deal out there for that price. It was a deal that couldn't be walked away from. The nice thing was, I went to see it being built so I know what is in it.

Fish 4 Fun

[This message has been edited by Outlaw (edited 01-30-2001).]
Old 01-30-2001, 02:15 PM   #84
jet
Sturgeon

Outlaw

I also bought a Weldcraft last year The Renegade 18.5' with a few less options than your boat (some I can add) but for the money it las TONS of standard stuff, which are options with the other boats. I have not seen a thread about the merger, it really is not a merger I talked to the guys at Weldcraft, it seems they hold controlling interest in the Duck company, that is what i got from the conversation. This thread has tons of great stuff in it.

Welds make a difference on Alum. boat! you want to see them.

Jet~~~

I-Fish member #389
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 03:49 PM   #85
backlash
Steelhead

Just out of curiosity, whats the sticker on a loaded 21' Ranger these days?
backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 04:00 PM   #86
Beer Waggin
Ifish Nate

I know the 22 footer I looked at a couple of weeks ago was right at $40,000.
OOOOOOUCH!!
Old 01-30-2001, 04:38 PM   #87
boater
Tuna!

i guess i`l keep my back yard project wooldridge, as mentioned by the guy who bought the dart that is a cwi (certified welding inspector) one of my fishin buddys is one too, we looked at all the boats and the way they were put together, funny thing is, when we went to look at the welds under the floor of a thunderjet, there was nothing to check because there was no structure, it was amazing.
Old 01-30-2001, 06:03 PM   #88
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Salmonator....Better put on the survival suit and life jacket.....Sounds like your going down!

What is wrong with welds that are ground and finished that don't crack or break after years of use and still look very nice? Tells me it was done the right way and looks much nicer than something that resembles a shop project. Good looks on a jet boat is a big plus also.

Bill
Ifish Member #148
Old 01-30-2001, 06:38 PM   #89
Rippenlips
Steelhead

SLUTGODDESS, If you new what a good TIG weld looks like, it looks better than any ground down weld! The only time you need to grind any weld is because it looks like s**t! Usually a MIG weld on aluminum looks pretty rough and needs to be ground if it is going to be seen. I think most boat co. use the MIG process under the floors etc. and use the TIG were people are going to see it.
People are talking about the Thunder Jet and it not have any bracing. I know a CO. in Canada (Eagle?) that is building aluminum boats without ribbing because they put bends in the side and bottom to keep the boat stiff. They also glue a thin piece of stainless to the bottom so it slides over gravel and rocks unlike aluminum. Does any body know if T.J.s are doing this? Maybe thats why there is no bracing?
Rippenlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 07:08 PM   #90
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Maybe that's why it came with twin high-volume bilge pumps? lol. I'd rather bail my TJ than drive a Woolrite...

Old 01-30-2001, 07:13 PM   #91
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Or maybe "this is Thunderjet country and on a quiet night you can hear a Woolridge galvanically corrode" lol. Boater you do know this is all in fun...

Old 01-30-2001, 07:44 PM   #92
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Rippenlips....I understand what you are saying....Can't argue with it...only saying that there is room on a good weld in this case to cleen it up and make it look nice and it will still be more than strong enough to do the job. I have no cracks or indication that a problem is coming on the welds that are polished and finished to look nice. Why can't it be strong and look nice to? Have not heard of a problem with cracking on these boats....where is this coming from? .....The Perfect Storm?...

Maybe we don't need a hand grenade to kill a fly in the case of these surface welds! Have not heard of a problem with cracks on these boats and nobody I know works the boat harder than I have. Also it is warrantied to last. Again...What is wrong with a boat that looks pretty and performs great and don't brake?

Hey joe....I have a hand pump if you are lucky enough to be close by when it happens....

Ha!!!

Bill
Ifish Member #148
Old 01-30-2001, 08:16 PM   #93
boater
Tuna!

sorry i took so long to reply, was out putting a glass bottom on my boat so i would be able to find your boat for you, hahahahah
Old 01-30-2001, 09:03 PM   #94
Ramstrong
Tuna!

OK, I've let this go on long enough. Time to end this discussion right here and now. The ultimate fishing machine is a 16' riveted starcraft with a 20 horse Merc outboard. 2 Custom seats and a trolling motor both mounted by a couple of 16 year olds. The Tenmile Terror will live on forever!
Muh ha ha ha
Team "Lawbreaker"

[email protected]
Ramstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 09:20 PM   #95
boater
Tuna!

i think the best fishin boat is one you can go out in and catch fish and have a hell of a good time.
Old 01-30-2001, 09:49 PM   #96
Rippenlips
Steelhead

SLUTGODDESS, I think I'm just expaining the reasons for grinding any weld. I also don't remember seeing any grinded welds on any boats i've looked at, even my North River. There are a lot of facters on welds that I'm not qualified to respond to. I have taken some welding courses and know that if you don't do it correctly, it may look good but can be brittle and crack. Especially on aluminum. Just the temperature of the air in the shop can cause bad welds on aluminum! So one boat Co. can have two different welders and one takes into account that it is a little cold in the shop and pre-heats his work and the other is a little lazy and says it's O.K. and doesn't the boats look the same in the end but I know that I want the one that was pre-heated because the welds are stronger. So you could have a cheaper brand name boat that will outlast the more expensive boat. How many welders does North River have working for them now? Was it Fifty? That is were quality control comes in. Oh and if I remember correctly when you scratch (Grind) a piece of metal I believe it will crack or tear along the scratch if stresed.(sp?)
RAMSTRONG, it needs to float!
Old 01-30-2001, 09:53 PM   #97
Deleted User

NorRivDAVE, what ever became of your jet problem? I was just wondering since you were the one that got this entire dicussion started.
Old 01-30-2001, 09:59 PM   #98
Deleted User

You can get into a 21' North River Ranger with a 350 TBI, 212 jet, and all the standard features for $31,900.

Old 01-30-2001, 10:04 PM   #99
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Boater..... We are together on that one. Hope we can hook up and tell some fish stories some day. This is a great place to exersize our thoughts and then go fishing together. There are no bad jet boats.....just.... The boats that we each like!!!!I'll take you out anytime just to have a great day and fish and "bash some boats"!!!!! Ever fish Sturgeon on the Columbia? Want to go some time?

I'll take you out in my porposing bondo boat!!!

Respectfully

Bill

Bill
Ifish Member #148
Old 01-30-2001, 10:10 PM   #100
fishchaser
Ifish Nate

Bill Don't tell him our spot. After all Pete and I were nice enough to let you back into YOUR spot this last weekend. And you did catch 3 fish, right?
Tracy
Member # 496
fishchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 10:11 PM   #101
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Porposing bondo boat?? HA HA HA HA... Two years ago you could get a 21' 8X6 Thunderjet with a WELDED hard top and all the standards mentioned on the above Dart except with the 3stage instead of the AT for $29,900.

Old 01-30-2001, 10:26 PM   #102
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Fishchaser....I have a special place for out of towners....But I catch fish there also...

Yes I did have a pretty good day last Saturday. It was a Whitewater Boater of Oregon club effort to heard them into the hot spot....I just got lucky after that!

See you out there this week.

Bill
Ifish Member #148
Old 01-30-2001, 10:41 PM   #103
fishchaser
Ifish Nate

Sonny and I will be out in his NR this weekend. Pete doesn't get back from Alaska til Friday 6:00 p.m. I told him that shouldn't interupt fishing on Saturday but he said Genny might have something to say about it. Sonny still hasn't got the stink off his new boat yet, so I thought that maybe we would try out at the lower end of the island, below the boat ramp. You gave STZII the grid coordinates, well he doesn't know how to run the GPS, I DO! So he had me enter in the crdnts and so I know where we are going. If we don't get anything I'll be up to the SPOT and hugging the edge.
Member # 496
fishchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 12:11 AM   #104
jet
Sturgeon

Outlaw

Tell us as a ex-welder what did you buy a Weldcraft? modle? Just wondering?

Jet~~~

I-Fish member #389
Old 01-31-2001, 12:42 AM   #105
Fish4Fun
Steelhead

I think someone finally got it in the above post. If you are happy with the boat and it does all that YOU want it to do, nothing else should matter. As for the question on welds, You really don't want a shop grinding welds to make them pretty. If they can't lay down a bead right the first time, then get a different guy to do the finish work. Most of the welding is by MIG with the really nice stuff done with TIG. 5000 series aluminum is used becuase it has high corrosion resistance and is one of the best for welding. That is why all of our boats use 5000 and 6000 series material, they are weldable alloys. Here is something to think about though on grinding welds. If welds are not to be ground in the aerospace industry then why would I except it on my boat. Maybe I am a little tuff on the welding issue but I know what I can do as a welder and what I will accept as an inspector. After all my stamp is saying I accepted the job. I make a living as an inspector, if it ain't per drawing then it is rejectable work.

Fish 4 Fun

Old 01-31-2001, 05:49 AM   #106
Rippenlips
Steelhead

Exactly! About the welding, but I do think alot of this info helps people realise what they need to look for when buying a boat. Some people just take the major brand name and say oh, it must be good quality. Even if you still buy a North River or any boat, maybe people will inspect there boat more often for things that could be starting to fail. It may save them for having a bad fishing day. After getting stranded once in the water, I check things alot more often than I would normally do.
Old 01-31-2001, 10:45 AM   #107
Beer Waggin
Ifish Nate

This one is for all of you out there that are worried about all of the bad things that have been said about North River boats.

The Slutgoddes is correct! Bill I know you love your boat to death, and love mine just as much. I just got off the phone with Mike from North River, and they are going to warranty my pump. The reason for the pump failing is still in question, but this shows you that they stand behind their boats 110%. I'm not sure how other boat dealers would have handled a situation like this, but I can tell you, North River did it the right way! I said that I wouldn't say anything bad about North River until I gave them a chance to fix the problem, and I still won't say anything bad about them! I have been happy as a clam with my boat and I have all the confidence in the world that I will be saying the same thing in 10 years.

[This message has been edited by NorRivDave (edited 01-31-2001).]
Old 01-31-2001, 11:26 AM   #108
Fish4Fun
Steelhead

NorRivDave,

Glad to hear that they will stand behind the product that they sell. You were right not to put them down untill a resolution was made good or bad. I would hope that all of our boats are supported by the builder if we have problems. I know when I had the timing problem with mine it was fixed ASAP.

Fish 4 Fun
Old 01-31-2001, 11:48 AM   #109
jet
Sturgeon

Outlaw

With your timeing problem did you hydrolock your motor? How did you know you had a problem, did the motor just run rough and have no power or what. I have been told about a few Marine Power motors with the problem due to a bad timeing light.My buddie got one of those motors and hydrolocked the motor and scattered parts out the side of the block, Marine power and Weldcraft stood behind it and put a new motor in the boat N/C.

Jet

I-Fish member #389
Old 01-31-2001, 04:39 PM   #110
boater
Tuna!

hey slutgoddess, i do fish sturgeoan on the columbia and chehalis, we usualy make about ten trips a year or more down there, i also like to fish the shad and the big ones below the dam. am also looking forward to the spring kings, we usualy fish near the n.f. lewis and across the river. basicly all i do is fish every weekend,lots of river up here with no water now though. i also heard that north river bought almar in tacoma, maybe they will start to build them up here ??
Old 01-31-2001, 05:07 PM   #111
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Boater...

Sounds like we spend our weekends the same way. I live a short distance from the mouth of the Lewis. Sturgeon has been a little slow lately. Not sure if it is the commercial nets or what. I did get into some last Saturday late in the day just as the water was slowing down to turn.

Not sure if this photo post will work...still trying to figure it out.

Ifish Member #148
Old 01-31-2001, 05:25 PM   #112
Beer Waggin
Ifish Nate

Oh Bill you dog! The only reason you caught those was because my boat was in the shop. They seem to jump in my boat better than they do in yours. Must be all that fancy electronic stuff I'm missing. I'll see you out there this weekend, if I get my boat back in time.
Old 01-31-2001, 05:31 PM   #113
Rippenlips
Steelhead

That is great about your pump NorRivDave. Lets go fishin!
Old 01-31-2001, 05:33 PM   #114
Rippenlips
Steelhead

Thats great about your pump, NorRivDave!

Lets go fishin!!!
Old 01-31-2001, 06:58 PM   #115
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Dave....

I must admit that after I showed you a couple of my hot spots....you showed me how to catch fish in them. Was very happy you had such a nice day and will look for you out there soon....I was going to show you some other ones but, your too good at this to tell you about all of them.

Hope your boat is fixed soon!

Bill
Ifish Member #148
Old 02-01-2001, 12:49 AM   #116
SLEDDER
Ifish Nate

NorRivDave, Mike is a good man, used to be a river cop on the Rogue and Umpqua rivers. When you find out what happened to your pump can you please post it?! I am happy to hear that NorthRiver is standing behind the products they represent. Thanks for keeping us informed!!
Old 02-01-2001, 12:51 AM   #117
Fish4Fun
Steelhead

Jet,

I have been around motors for years, Drag Raced for 14 years. When I went to start it the first time it was a bear to get fired and then I couldn't get it to idle. If I kept the idle speed up it was ok, as soon as it warmed up it was a little better but still died at idle. When I took it in I guessed 18 degrees initial and it was at 21. As for the hydrolock problem the only thing I would think there, would be the motor didn't shut down when the key was turned off. Sounds like she rolled over and sucked water back into the motor. Mine ran really good with a bunch of timing in it, just wouldn't idle is all. Simple fix and the Marine Power folks were all over it, they had me take it to a place in Seattle ASAP.

Fish 4 Fun
Old 02-01-2001, 07:57 AM   #118
212hjet
Steelhead

This has been an enjoyable and informative forum....thanks to all of you "western" boating brethern....it was difficult to swallow that we are "easterners" to you folks, (as that term is not well received here being reserved for the the far eastern metropolitan types!!!) We all adore our boats and appreciate the places they take us and the things they help us do...like play, play, play & fish, fish, fish & escape, etc..
Most of us didn't know a bunch about aluminum jet boats when we bought our first one, but as you can see from these posts....there is a lot to learn and more to come. For new purchasers, there is no substitute for inspecting the factory and boats in all stages of construction and taking pics and notes so that you can review them and ask questions of other builders/dealers and experienced boaters. Don't think all boats are built alike, because they aren't...there are different uses which require different designs. And some will cut costs that they shouldn't, too.
Ask other boaters about their options and why they like them and how they use them. As indicated in one of the last posts, check out some of the dealers past boat buyers to see how the dealership treats them and how the factory stood behind them or didn't!!! Almost all boats will need some warranty work within the first 40 hours...it can be very frustrating fighting with the dealer when you "only bought it for fun"...certainly not to fight about. That's whats reserved for those DC types, right?
I think it was RT who said he'd put his boat up against anyones. If he wants to bring it over here next April (subject to some snow falling in our mountains before then) to run up the Salmon River (River of No Return...certainly beentrue for a # of boats) in high water we will do that......so long as he doesn't ask me to bring my 22 Northwest (with it's big "sail" high top and tall sides) over and fish the windy conditions in tight spots..so he can outfish me while I'm fighting to position my boat in the wind and getting blown away shile he is in the prime catching fish!
Thats why we all buy the boats that fit our needs. I'm like others writing here....no way I could have bought my boat if it didn't fit my families needs, too.
Anyway, thanks for the info and jesting. I hope you will all give me some good info when I head your way this spring to fish salmon and hopefully, sturgeon later on. If anyone is headed this way or wants info, let me know. Happy water trails. Rich
PS. Give those Woolie guys a break...they have a great boat...they are just fortunate cause they get to sit inside and "overlook" that nose while the rest of us are out staring at it.
Old 02-01-2001, 09:07 AM   #119
Master Baiter

I have to concur with 212, this thread has been a gold mine for a would shopper of jet boats! I thought I had alot of it figured out but this thread showed me that I don't know Jack $#!+ and need to spend alot more time before signing on the dotted line. I WAS convinced that a small handful of brands were superior (probably because they were everywhere or just looking) but I guess I've learned that superiority is relative to your needs and some of the odd looking hulls have special functionality!

Thanks to all who contributed from thier vast experience on this subject. This is the kind of thread that makes this site such a valuable resource.
Master Baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2001, 03:06 PM   #120
boater
Tuna!

there are lots of good posts here, one thing to make sure you get is a cig. lighter, that was you can plug your cell phone into it when you call in sick to work, not that `id ever do that.