Osulivan Potholes - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 04-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
OREJAS
Steelhead

Default Osulivan Potholes

Just wondering if anyone's been up there? If so, how's the water? Any good? I was thinking of heading up there soon.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
hawgcatcher
Tuna!

Default Re: Osulivan Potholes

Do a search for Mar Don Resort at potholes Res. They have a pretty up to date site with info. on the fishing. During the nice weather, it looked like fishing was doing great.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
sbasser
Chromer

Default Re: O\'Sullivan/Potholes Reservoir

I believe the "Potholes Open" is this weekend (April 2). Mardon's website may mention it. I wouldn't want to be there during the T, but I have read on Western Bass Club's website ("Eastside Lakes") that it's warming and getting better. Not long ago, the report was that it was iced over. WBC Eastern Washington Lakes Reports

For myself, I prefer to go to Potholes a bit later in April, like maybe the last week of the month. It should still be pre-spawn or spawn. BuKuBass and I are planning to meet up over there about then. We'll post the dates when we get our schedules worked out. There are some other waters nearby that can be really good, too. C&R, Steve
sbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
bucketmouth
Tuna!

Regardless of info you may get regarding potholes, I'd go. It's always a good bet. I love that body of water. Some of the best fishing anywhere.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #5
rola76

RJ,

I'll let you know...you know you're not going without me!!
rola76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
bassfishingnw
Chromer

Our Club has a tourney there this weekend 23-24th. Should only be aroun 10-12 boats. We usually have a tourney this time a year about every year and often find good largemouth back in the DUNES. Hopefully this warm weather that is expected to show up should help. I guess the Open last weekend was tough fishing.

I keep everybody updated

Anybody else going over there next weekend?
bassfishingnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #7
OREJAS
Steelhead

I'll go with you, but you know who will be catching all the fish. Same result as last trip.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
sbasser
Chromer

Default Re: O\'Sullivan/Potholes

I'm leaving for Potholes sometime Wednesday, April 20. BuKuBass will arrive noon-ish Friday, and leave noon-ish Saturday. We'll be operating out of the Lind Coulee launch, and will dine at Mardon's, late afternoons. Plan is to camp at Sportsman's Thursday and Friday. Look for the red '97 GMC shorty with red canopy (no windows). That's me. C&R, Steve
Old 04-19-2005, 09:01 AM   #9
bucketmouth
Tuna!

sbasser, you have a pm.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #10
rola76

It's a low row for you in your pontoon boat all the way back to Crab Creek...hope the wind doesn't come up. Myself, on the other hand, will be back there in 5 minutes!!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:44 AM   #11
BuKuBass
Tuna!

Dangit Rich, Are you telling on me? :blush:
Steve...I may have the whole weekend to fish. Depends on how the lady accepts my rationalization.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:14 PM   #12
sbasser
Chromer

Rog...got your email, revised plan works for me, pretty much. We may want to go visit other waters, too. There are some smaller ones that are close and can be really good.

Rola...I think we'll get there pretty quick. We'll be in the faster of my two boats. It's metalflake. :grin: I don't think of P'holes as being all that big. Unless the water's rough. Then it gets big real fast! Actually, my boat works real well in rough water. Not fun, but safe enough.

Bucketmouth...got your PM. We'll report back, you betcha!
C&R, Steve
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 AM   #13
rola76

sbasser,

I was actually giving "Orejas" a hard time because he thinks he can outfish me, but I guarantee he won't when he's stuck in his pontoon boat and I'm running in 3" of water back in the dunes!!

Good luck to all, and it's almost time for me to get there and get some bass and bugeyes!!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:00 AM   #14
bassfishingnw
Chromer

We had our club tourney on Potholes last weekend and thought I would give an update.

Winner had just over 30lbs. They where a mix of smallmouth and largemouth. My team eneded up with around 15 pounds.

Saturday we caught a quick limit of smallmouth but never could find any over 2.5lbs. We fished rock piles and rip rap dropshotting robo worms.

Sunday we thought we would catch a quick limit of smallmouth and then go back in the dunes to find some big largmouth. After catching a 3.2 smallmouth the first 5 mintues, we fished hard for the next 3 hours without a bite. We made a run to the dunes and picked up a couple largemouth in the 2lb class. There are alot of 10-12" back there right know. Largemouths where caught on 5" Senkos.

Weather stayed nice and we did miss a big Thunderstorm on Staurday around 4PM. Luckly we was off the water

Here is a pic of Sundays catch.

bassfishingnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #15
shalom
Tuna!

Very nice looking fish . Thank you for the report .

My boss is a Jewish carpender *
* Catch and release all Bass .
* SHALOM <'(((>< *
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:19 PM   #16
j.d.smallie

Hey Buku, don't forget your sleeping bag!
j.d.smallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #17
sbasser
Chromer

Much as it pains me, I gotta report that the catching was terrible Wednesday and Thursday (April 20-21). An East Wind was noticed approaching Moses Lake on I-90...a tumbleweed bigger than any of thousands I've seen all over the west... about the size of a Geo Metro was truckin' down the Westbound lanes. An East Wind is death on catching fish at Potholes, tho it didn't seem that cold, so I wasn't concerned. Shoulda been. I touched some fish, but none landed. It wasn't just me. Few reported catching fish, of any variety, and that was just one or two, here &amp; there. Even the guy at Mardon's was less than totally optimistic with a potential camper on the phone, which is rare.

Mostly, I experimented with various new rods or combinations of rod/reel/line. That was the one good note on the trip, new rods and reels worked well, but best part was that a certain G.Loomis IMX rod (that I hated) turned out to be a nice combination with a different reel and line. The line was Stren Braid #20...good stuff. New BPS Extreme is nice spinnerbait rod, new G.Loomis CBR841 is a fine crankbait rod, new Lamiglas CS701 is a great DropShot rod. At least, they seemed like it, considering they didn't bring any basses to the boat.

Wednesday, I idled onto a sandbar in Crab Creek, and didn't do my back any favors, in getting the boat loose. Also never did find my string of 'secret' secluded bays that I'd been to in '03 and previous years. None of that helped my attitude, but then the ob started idling very roughly. Then, the truck started running weird, and shuddering off the line, making me think it was transmission problems. Dragging the trailer (with surge brakes) makes things feel weird. Maybe bad gas? Chevron? I guess it could happen, but the truck still isn't running right. Anyway, I called BuKu and suggested that as the catching hadn't been good, that he might not want to spend the big bucks on gas. Reaching an agreement on that, we decided I should head home early Friday AM, so as to be on the road in daylight and with more services available. Got home ok, with just a few wheezes at low speeds. All in all, not a good vacation, but that's about all I got left. Maybe shoulda gone to other waters and stayed, or just stuck it out at P'holes. Hindsight is not always 20-20, but I found 53F in main lake and deep areas, and no more than 57F in shallow/secluded areas. There were no bass in the "Gravel Pit", a good indicator, especially since most T's have it as "Closed Waters". Neither on the spawing flats, or in the deeper areas where the willows are. I'd say that it will be really good in a week or two, if the weather stays warm. C&amp;R, Steve
Old 04-27-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
bucketmouth
Tuna!

sbasser, your report reminded me of that old saying; Wind form the east, fishing is least; Wind from the west, fishing is best.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:33 PM   #19
sbasser
Chromer

"Wind from the East, fishing is least; Wind from the West, fishing is best."

Never heard that one, but have been told by Pro/Guide Pete Pilkey that an East Wind at Potholes is death on catching. In '03, my buddy Earl and I got up Sunday AM to a cold East wind, and decided to hit the road for home, ASAP. But that was really cold, and this really wasn't. That really puzzles me. Why would an East wind be bad, if it isn't a temp thing? I know that wind blows from high pressure to low pressure. I guess that means that where the wind is blowing, the pressure is rising. Otherwise, I don't understand it.

Not only that, but does this saying apply everywhere? Always? Then, what about Riffe Lake? There is almost always an East wind in the AM, a calm period mid-day, with a Westerly in the afternoon. Wind comes through the mountain pass in the morning, hot air from the Eastside filling the cooler Westside. The fishing is good, either East or West wind, but when it's calm, as the wind direction switches around, take a nap. Some wind is your friend! C&amp;R, Steve
Old 04-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #20
bucketmouth
Tuna!

Ive heard this adage for years. Not sure of its origins. Would guess though that Generally speaking, East winds are most associated with high pressure fronts and west winds are most associated with low pressure fronts.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:13 AM   #21
shalom
Tuna!

I wish that i could remember the rest of it . There are about two more sentences to this . They include the north and the south , but my memory is failing me .

* SHALOM <'(((>< *
Old 04-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #22
BuKuBass
Tuna!

Here ya go Bert:
Wind from the West, fish bite the best.
Wind from the East, fish bite the least.
Wind from the North, do not go forth.
Wind from the South blows bait in their mouth.

Rich...I beg to differ. Our prevailing weather pattern is a west to east flow. East winds are associated with a storm approaching from the west and due to the low pressure area it pulls the wind into itself.

West wind=a high pressure area off the coast with stable conditions.
East wind=approaching storm, unstable.
North wind=cold front coming down from Canada, bad news.
South wind=warm air coming up from the south, rising water temps, increased activity.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #23
bucketmouth
Tuna!

Yes I agree with you about our weather patterns here in Oregon. I don't think the saying comes from this part of the country.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:43 PM   #24
shalom
Tuna!

BuKuBass,
Thank you . I hate it when i can't remember something like that . It drives me nuts . The more i try to remember something the harder it gets . Thanks again . I should be able to remember that saying for at least a couple of weeks .

* SHALOM <'(((>< *