Bass Tourney - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 07-12-2001, 01:02 PM   #1
Grits

Default Bass Tourney

Anybody interested in setting one up or know where some are in this area? Possible sites? I think it would be great to get a bunch of IFISH people together and have a little bass tournement.

Grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2001, 01:14 PM   #2
steelhead_fishn
Steelhead

Default Re: Bass Tourney

I would love to be part of a bass tournament, and would like to help organize if there is enough intrest. It would be rather amusing if a buncha sleds launched into a bass lake at the same time. There are some considerations though when setting up a tournament. In washington there are a few special rules..

1. Would the tournament be strictly for fun, or would it be some sort of prize? Mabey a pool.. 10 dollar entry that is split between big fish and total weight. Or mabey biggest fish and total weight winners could go down in ifish bass board history by adding there picture with fish to the top of the bass board(until the next tourney).

2. Where would be a good spot to hold such a tournament? There are several lakes in washington that could support it, and there are plenty in oregon as well.

If anyone is intrested I think we should run with this. Who knows, mabey even fish somewhere with nearby camping facilities and have an Ifish bass get together.
steelhead_fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 02:58 PM   #3
Mike H
Steelhead

Hi everyone,

Glad to see we've finally got a warmwater board!

I'd definatly attend a bass tourney if we could organize one. I've got a float tube that I do most my bass fishing in.

Mike H
Mike H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 08:46 PM   #4
rob allen
King Salmon

Although I really like the idea there are some things to consider.. Most sleds don't have livewells... How would we manage keeping the bass alive without them?

I'd suggest holding the outing on the columbia not on a lake. Most of the good bass lakes already have tournaments every weekend during the summer and very few are large enough for an event like this and a real tournament.

I think it would be great fun especially if it was a draw tournament..

Also if there is anyine out there who is a serious bass fisherman and needs a partner to help with gas for trips let me know... it seems like people with boats have plenty of friends..
Old 07-13-2001, 02:20 AM   #5
sinker
Tuna!

I believe in WA that whether or not there's a prize or not involved in a fishing competition there's a bunch of hoops to jump through.
Not sure, just remember hearing/reading it. Something to check into.
sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 07:18 AM   #6
Jellyhead
Chromer

Here's what we should do. Because not everyone has livewell's in their boats, we should have a draw, catch and release tourney.

What you do is draw for partners (to keep everyone honest) then everyone fishes for their own fish. What you do when you catch one, is measure it's length to the 1/4" and write it down. Turn the fish loose and the other guy in the boat verifies the length and time. It's called a "paper tournement". This is how we fish tourneys on lakes with catch restrictions, and slot limits.

I think we would be exempt from the state rules because no-one will have any fish in the boat.

The Columbia would be good, because it is so big, but..... It is a baffling fishery for newbies. The chances of getting to throw a hula popper or spinnerbait will be rare. I suggest a good Largemouth lake like Cullaby or Lacamas. Late summer would provide a buzzbait or other topwater bite that would definitly be fun. Let's make beliver's out of the salmon/steelhead crowd by fishing a "fun" lake.

Aaron
Jellyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 07:35 AM   #7
rob allen
King Salmon

Excellent ideas Aron. The only problem with Lacamas lake is the number of water skiers.
A few years ago I fished a Tournament as a non-boater with the Oregon Hawg Hunters.
The event was held at the scapoose bay marina from there all types of water were accessable. There was a lot of water that was easy to figure out. Boats could fish the channel, go up the gilbert? river go out in the columbia or stay in the bay and fish boat docks. The winners of course road up to the 205 bridge and fished soft plastics...
I think you may be right though the river may be tricky for a lot of people. Where is this cullaby lake??? Isn't that on the North Oregon coast somewhere? How about some details?
Old 07-13-2001, 09:07 AM   #8
THE REEL HEY_YALL

Count me in. Whereever and Whenever. I like Aaron's draw idea as well. I have a tournament, electronic scale we can use.
THE REEL HEY_YALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 12:16 PM   #9
Jellyhead
Chromer

Cullaby is between seaside and astoria off of hwy 101. It is about the size of Lacamas and there are some pig Largemouths in there.

It has all the classic largemouth cover, dollar-pads and blowdowns all around the lake. It does have club tourney's occasionally on it, but nothing like tenmile or siltcoos. It does get some skiier's but it has a no wake zone on the northern end.

Aaron
Old 07-13-2001, 01:07 PM   #10
Tanner
Sturgeon

I'm in if we do it at Cullaby. Can ya launch a 21 foot inboard jet there?
Old 07-13-2001, 01:30 PM   #11
Jellyhead
Chromer

I'm pretty sure. I launch my 16 skeeter bass boat there. I've seen 20' bass boats on it. There are two launches there. One is a gravel launch in county park, the other is a paved one in a state park. The state park has a gate on the entrance road, and I don't think it opens till 7:00am. The gravel launch is open 24hrs. I always use the gravel launch so I can fish any time of day.

It looks like there's quite a bit of intrest in this. Maybe we could stay at Fort stevens or somewhere else. Any body have any date suggestions????

Aaron
Old 07-13-2001, 05:51 PM   #12
rob allen
King Salmon

Count me in but I have no boat... I havent fished out of a bass boat in a long time I need a fix...
Old 07-13-2001, 10:26 PM   #13
DF
Sturgeon

This sounds like fun
Hey Jelly remeber that little flat bottom boat I had.. Its GONE [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But. I will find a way to fish [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Member #545
DF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 06:23 AM   #14
Smj
King Salmon

I fished this tourney last year, they called it a cyber tourney. All fish were released after having their pics taken on a digital scale. The banter and good natured ribbing between the North and South during the tourney was alot of fun, and guess what?, the North ran away with it.

Check it out. http://www.basschat.net/NVS/NVS.html

Smj
Old 07-14-2001, 09:11 PM   #15
rob allen
King Salmon

If we wanna do this we need to get the ball rolling if these salmon and steelhead guys(myself included) are gonna join the fun it should be before the fall salmon season. Otherwise participation might be low.... Anyone care to suggest a date???
Old 07-15-2001, 05:12 PM   #16
perfect drift 1

Someone what to head this?
Maybe several folks chair it and I'll
jump in and help where I can.
perfect drift 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 12:07 PM   #17
THE REEL HEY_YALL

I'll be in the works for maybe some form of sponsorship maybe for some door prizes, and parting gifts, etc.

First suggested rule of the inagural IFISH-A-THON A BASS is NO LIVE OR DEAD BAIT

Let's keep it hardware only; scent will be fine.

A tape measurer and maybe one of the people on the boat have a scale. Of course, we should require a camera onboard as well...just to show these anadromous only guys what they're missing down the road from their houses. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I haven't a clue how big this lake is, so for now, I'm reserving the right to call myself a "Non-boater".

Any and all interested, please post Boater or Non-boater so maybe we can see about how to pair people up.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:24 PM   #18
THE REEL HEY_YALL

How about August 11th? Once we get any later than that, and I'm putting on a king salmon clinic and can't win this bass tournament [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'd love to head this tournament up, but since it's in Oregon, one of you boys do it and I'll chair, etc.

Then, maybe we can see about a Washington one and I'll head it up. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2001, 11:52 PM   #19
Jellyhead
Chromer

Well guys, I've never head anything up before and my orginizational skills are about nill. But, we've kinda got a place---Cullaby. We've kinda got a date---Aug. 11th.

What else do we need? A head count? Boat count? Directions?

I'll assume there'll be no prizes, catch and release tourney----so we won't need a permit.

Just a bunch of guys looking for bragging rights and maybe a side pot of $$$ for big fish or biggest bag.

Ok, so here it is---

The place--- CULLABY LAKE, Oregon

The Date---- August 11th

The Time---- ? (I've got to check the sunrise for that day)

What to bring--A tape measure, something to write on. Bass gear. This is a typical largemouth lake with a ton of dollar pads and wood structure.

Let's figure out who's going, how many boats there'll be, who needs a partner, where to meet, etc.

I guess I just kinda volunteered to head this up. Let's get this thing going.

For leagal reasons I will not refer to this as a tournement. It will be our "Warmwater fish-in" or whatever we want to call it. There is no association of any groups to this event, and every person is liable for any damage to themselves, others, or their equipment.

We'll have a draw for partners and for blast off #'s. Maybe a BBQ afterwords?

Let's hear some feedback!

Aaron
Old 07-17-2001, 08:06 AM   #20
Grits

14' v bottom with an 18 hp motor and an electric motor. If that will work in this lake I am a boater.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:34 AM   #21
Jellyhead
Chromer

That's perfect Grits!! I forgot to add that I'll be a boater and will have an open seat in my truck from St. Helens to the lake if any non-boaters in my area want to car pool.

Aaron
Old 07-17-2001, 12:40 PM   #22
rob allen
King Salmon

Non-boater here... but i'm very excited about this. could be a real hoot.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:30 PM   #23
Tanner
Sturgeon

I'm in. Boater 21' Alumaweld Formula Vee Inboard with 76 lbs of Minn Kota Thrust on the bow. YEEEE HHHAAAAA. This should be quite entertaining. I agree with The Redneck. NO BAIT. Hardware and Plastics only.

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Tanner ]