John Day Update - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 07-23-2001, 12:08 PM   #1
brshooter
Ifish Nate

Default John Day Update

Went up on the lower John Day yesterday. Had never been there, but had heard it had some good small mouth fishing. Now, let me tell you, I am definately a rookie when it comes to bass fishing. Went up river to the narrows and worked our way down river. A nice boat ride with lots of deer down on the river banks.
Used curly tail grubs on a jig head, plastic worms on a texas rig, and rooster tails. Didn't exactly set the world on fire. Hooked a few little ones and threw them back. My bass boat/sled didn't care for all the vegetation in the river. Had to go swimming twice to clear the intake grate.
Headed back down river and hit the Columbia. Started working the shoreline east of the mouth. Slow troll with a bottom bouncer with a standard walleye worm rig. Between the wife and I, it seams like one of us always had a fish on. Non-stop action. Not much size, but lots of action. Primarily picked up small mouths in the 12-15" range, some large yellow perch, and a couple of walleyes.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get into the small mouths on the John Day? I have heard stories of people catching 50+ fish per rod up there. What should I be looking for when selecting an area to fish? Am I all wet with my tackle selection? Special techniques? Any help would be appreciated.

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: brshooter ]

Ifish Member #445

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” Thomas Aquinas
brshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2001, 02:22 PM   #2
Tanner
Sturgeon

Default Re: John Day Update

First off, fish down that low on the river in the spring. April and May are best. Use 1/4 oz lead heads and grubs and work rocky shorelines and points. Crawdad imitation crankbaits do real well then also. I like using crawdad patterned wiggle warts or Rebel crawdads. Other crankbaits do well also. There are also some BIG channel cats down there. I see guys coming up with all kinds of bait concotions for the cats bu nightcrawlers on the bottom has always worked well for me.