Are Hewescraft deserving of a bad rap? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2003 archives

Old 05-12-2003, 07:46 PM   #1
Stratocaster
Tuna!

Default Are Hewescraft deserving of a bad rap?

My cousin will be in the market for a new fishing boat and hes got it narrowed down to a Weldraft Renegade Outback or an 18' Sea runner.Hes going outboard(Honda or Yamaha)prop for Buoy 10 and crabbin etc. I have heard alot of negative things about the Hewescrafts, but i personally think they look like a fairly good boat. I would very much appreciate any and all perspectives pertaining to this post.

[ 05-12-2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2003, 08:16 PM   #2
Stratocaster
Tuna!

Default Re: Are Hewescraft deserving of a bad rap?

TTT
Old 05-12-2003, 08:40 PM   #3
No Wishin Just Fishin
Ifish Nate

I am on my 3rd Hewescraft over 25 years,
. Have
a 20 Sea Runner and I put it in the Ocean alot. Deep V and the sides and bottom are thicker than most. They have been making them for over 60 yrs. Live in Vancouver if He wants to take a ride
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2003, 08:54 PM   #4
Mrdorkfish

I personally have never owned a Hewescraft but have taken tours of them at ramps and have only heard good reviews...My next boat will be an 18'Sportsman powered by Honda. This one :grin:

MrDorkfish [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img]

Louis
Mrdorkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
MX man

North River

Looks like you and your cousin need to do some more research
MX man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 09:13 PM   #6
Stratocaster
Tuna!

I already own a NR, im workin on him, but what can i do? I think he wants a deep v and sides the sea runner offers, i believe the seahawk(north river) of similar size is considerably more money.

[ 05-12-2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]
Old 05-13-2003, 05:31 AM   #7
O'City Fisherman

Fisherdan,
I have done some extensive research on the Hewescraft. I to really like the deep v and the 18' has the 94" beam. The only drawback is the fold down panel in the stern of the boat. I am afraid of having a nice size stergeon on and lean on this panel then slam down it goes... This could put you at some serious danger.

After visiting a local dealer of the Hewes I came across the NW Jet Boat and this is a 19' with a offshore bracket. Very deep inside and the same beam.. It also has a couple of added features that the Hewes does not for the same price.

My biggest issue is the inside depth and beam width. Having two young children I use them to measure inside depth.

Enjoy and good hunting. Do your research and take your time. Get the things you want and do not take anything less.
O'City Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 05:58 AM   #8
uboatcdr
Chromer

I just purchased the 18' sportsman, and so far I really like it. I looked at a lot of boats and talked to a lot of people before decieding on the
hewes. there are a lot of nice boats out there
but if you can find the right deal you can't beat
the hewes.I know where there is a brand new 20'
sea runner very nicely out fitted even has a wash
down system and live well for around $16900.00
If you are interested.
uboatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 07:14 AM   #9
uboatcdr
Chromer

Fisherdan,
I jusst called on the boat and it is sold. But if
you are still interested in a hewes call
gary at clarks all sport. You can go to his web
site at clarksallsport.com I garentee he will
beat any price you find here in portland. He is
located in Coleville Wa, in the same town where
hewes craft is built. He will make it worth the drive, thats what I did. Good luck.
here's the number 1-877-684-5069
Old 05-13-2003, 07:35 AM   #10
O'City Fisherman

That site is not working. Can you ensure that the site is clarksallsport.com ..
O'City Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:18 AM   #11
uboatcdr
Chromer

Sorry,
Try clarksallsports.com I forgot the (s) on sports
Old 05-13-2003, 10:27 AM   #12
garyk
King Salmon

Fisherdan,

This August will mark the 4th year since we purchased our Hewes 179 Searunner with Honda’s 90 and 8hp. At that time, for that price range we felt that Hewes delivered more value for the dollar.

A few design weaknesses we discovered, that I believe have been corrected, are:

1. The cutdown transom can cause some anxiety in a ‘following’ sea.
2. The batteries are under the rear splashwell, in ours there is not enough overhead clearance, I had terminals in contact with the overhead metal.
3. Scupper holes too small.

* This one may not be corrected: The weight distribution is too rear-loaded - motors, gastank, batteries, trolling motor operator, this lifts the bow of this high-sided, deep-V boat, and makes for very unstable tracking - especially in wind. About 200 pounds of weight placed up in the bow area - either dogs or sandbags really helps level the boat and stabilize the tracking when trolling. Just locating the 24gal. gas tank more forward would likely improve stability.

Beyond boat design, the dealer you buy from has a huge impact on how well you’ll enjoy your purchase - from selling you the right size trailer (be wary of undersized to keep ‘package’ prices down) to adjusting motors correctly, trim tabs, the wiring, appropriate accessories, etc. It took us innumerable trips over two years to work out serious bugs caused by sloppy dealer set-up.

The 179 Searunner fishes three average size persons comfortably. Four is a little crowded.

Personally, if buying again, I’d be tempted to look at models in the 19' or 20' range, especially for doing a lot of Bouy10, runs out in the ocean, or up in the Gorge.

Hope this helps.

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:43 AM   #13
HawgJaw
Steelhead

I've had my 20' Searunner for about 2 years and still love it. I would seriously take a hard look at the 20'. For me it's the difference between going out for halibut and ocean fishing on the "not perfect" weather days. Have him test drive both on the river. You can hardly notice a difference as far as handling/loading/unloading. For a couple grand difference, it opens up a lot more possabilities. I think all of the Hewes boats come with a break away tongue (others charge extra), so you can fit a 20' outboard in to a 24' garage(assuming the door height is ok). The only thing I would different is to get the 8 hp Yamaha troller with the shifter on the throttle handle. I'd be interested in the negative things you've heard. HJ
Old 05-13-2003, 10:55 AM   #14
Stratocaster
Tuna!

Thanks alot everybody ill try and talk him into a 20ft. so he can take me halibut :grin: fishing.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:12 PM   #15
smokin' reel
Cutthroat

JUST TO KEEP ALL INFORMED OF THEIR OPTIONS
IF A 20' OR LARGER IS NOT IN YOUR FUTURE
NORTH RIVER WILL HAVE A 18 / 19 DEEP VEE HULL
18 DEGREE OUT THIS FALL SHOULD BE A GREAT ADDITION TO THE SEAHAWK LINE NICE DEEP WATER BOAT
smokin' reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #16
Tanner
Sturgeon

Smokin Reel,

Why are yopu YELLING. We can all hear just fine. You must be a production guy. They sure like their cap locks. :grin:
Old 05-13-2003, 02:52 PM   #17
SeaRunner Jim

Hi fisherdan, I've also got a Sea Runner 179 and really like it. It's a great 2 person boat. It fishes 3 okay, but gets a little crowded with 4. However, I would agree with garyk about the loading. Mine is a couple of years newer than his and has the fold down panel to raise the ht of the motor well to the same ht as the sides so feels much more secure in a following sea. By the way, just so you aren't misled, the fold down panel folds into the boat so when you lean against it it can't flop down unexpectedly. Also, there seems to be adequate clearance for the battery in mine. I think that the new Sea Runner 18 which is 5" longer with a 4" wider beam and 6" wider bottom will handle the wt. of a 90hp Honda and 9.9 kicker much better. Also, hopefully, the fuel tank is farther forward. I too would recommend looking at the 20' version if it's not out of the price range. It looks like one heck of a good boat. I went through the factory in Colvile, WA before I bought mine and the folks up there were really nice and build a very stout boat. Compare the dry wts of the various brands which should help determine how much aluminum goes into each one. Hewescraft boats are a big seller in Alaska so that should give you a hint about their quality. There are fancier and more expensive boats but you get a lot of bang for the buck with them. I hope this doesn't sound too much like a commercial, LOL.

Cheers, Jim
SeaRunner Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:45 PM   #18
Tyeebuster
Steelhead

fisherdan,

I have a Wledcraft Sabre (20' wide beam) in a inboard jet. I would have bought aa otuback model if they were offered when I bought my boat. I have had very good luck with my boat and have talked with others that have the new outback style and have heard excellent report about them. The thing I like about the outback is the full height transom and the room offerd by the outback design. If you look at a boat equipped with an "off shore" bracket vs. the low transom design of the same length, you will note that the "off shore" style provides more room. My vote is Weldcraft.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:50 PM   #19
fishitis
Steelhead

I've had a year 2000 179 Searunner with 90/8 hondas for a year now. I love it, a whole lot better than my last boat. Okay, my last boat was a 12' Sears jon boat that was really bad in a 2 inch chop. I agree, I wish I had the 20'. My kids are 4 and I got this boat for the high sides and smooth ride and it does all that. Mine has a 40 gallon tank and doesn't seem to ride too high in the front, maybe because of the bigger tanks (bought it from a Puget Sound person). Good luck :grin:
Old 05-13-2003, 08:08 PM   #20
blacktail
Tuna!

I'm not sure, but it seems like the sides of the Hewes weren't painted, but some sort of white decal material instead? Not a big deal though. Maybe someone can confirm or disprove?

Mike
Old 05-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #21
ROGUE35

[img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] if you dont like the fold down slash board go with the alaskan bulk head
ROGUE35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 11:22 PM   #22
id. painter
Ifish Nate

I have the 20' sea runner . Ive had it in the water 18 times now,buoy 10 , ocean ,lakes and river love it.
The third day of use i sat at the boat dock at fort Canby and let the wave action scrape the decal off the side of my new boat. I emailed the company and ask for a new decal. They sent it right away with no charge....id. p.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:20 AM   #23
SeaRunner Jim

Yes, the color on the sides is some sort of heavy decal that seems quite sturdy. It comes in several colors. I've been told that a damaged spot can be replaced fairly easily.

Jim
SeaRunner Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:52 AM   #24
thecougdad
Cutthroat

I have the 2000 Searunner 179 with a 115 Yamaha. Great family boat! Built a wake board pole that is removable, I can drag the teenagers around on the toys, then mount the kicker, down-riggers and be fishing in no time. Mine has the motor well with jump seats on both sides. Space is a problem, two people can fish comfortably but I would love to trade up to the 20'. The only real problem was the factory canvas, poorly done.
thecougdad is offline   Reply With Quote