Lewiston to Brownlee... Help anyone ? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
Buck's C
Cutthroat

Default Lewiston to Brownlee... Help anyone ?

Two of us want to make a Brownlee trip. Never been there ,what type of boat works best ,when ,places to stay . Mostly want to get cats & crappie for table fare. Any info would help...Thanks !!!

Buck's C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

Default Re: Lewiston to Brownlee... Help anyone ?

I see all kinds of boats out there from 8'- 30'. It can get windy and rough so a boat with some freeboard is a good idea. While you don't usually have to go very far there is a lot of reservoir to explore, 52 miles from end to end. 10 to 15 gallons of gas capacity is nice to have. Bass boats, pontoons, run-abouts ,they all work. In the spring working the shore with an electric is a good way to get your fish. As far as when to come this year June will probably be a safe bet, maybe late May. The corp of engineers has yet to start filling the resvervoir so it's a guess when we will have stable water temps and levels. Cats get more active in June & July. If you're camping Woodhead Park on the Idaho side is a nice park. For motels Richland and Halfway on the Oregon side would give you access to the Powder River Arm. For camping on or near the Powder Arm Hewitt Park and Eagle Valley RV park give you good access.You will need an Oregon license if you fish the Powder. Give me a call if I can help you more.
Crappie Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
divernick
Fry

I'm going with a group that's planning to be over there in a couple weeks. We're hearing all sorts of things about where it's possible to launch a boat with the water level so low. Is Sag Road usable? The ODFW fishing report said Swede's was the only place available to launch. Can you shed any light on the truth there, Crappie Chaser? Thanks a bunch.

divernick
divernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
sucker
Steelhead

If you are planning to launch a trailered boat be advised Brownlee is 62 feet below full pool at 2015 feet the lowest ramp is Woodhead but needs to be up to 2024 feet to launch. Use this link to track water levels (are comming up now) but still to low. Use this link to watch water levels; you some times need to refresh your browser before the level will be correct. http://www.idahopower.com/OurEnviron...ult.cfm?reload
Old 05-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by divernick View Post
I'm going with a group that's planning to be over there in a couple weeks. We're hearing all sorts of things about where it's possible to launch a boat with the water level so low. Is Sag Road usable? The ODFW fishing report said Swede's was the only place available to launch. Can you shed any light on the truth there, Crappie Chaser? Thanks a bunch.

divernick

I think Swede's and Sag are not usable now but you can launch at Woodhead. The concrete ramp is high & dry but there's a road below it that guys are going down and launching. It's been pretty warm here the last couple days so we may soon be getting the runoff they are waiting for to start filling. I'm hopeing that's the case anyway.
Crappie Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
nrcastro213
Coho

Wife talked to Idaho power last week. they said that the Army Corp of Engineers is requiring them to keep Brownlee empty with a 130% snowpack and more snow on the way it wont be for anothe 4-5 weeks till they start filling. we were suppose to be at hewitt this coming weekend for a week and had to postpone till august for 6 campsites together.
nrcastro213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
nrcastro213
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcastro213 View Post
Wife talked to Idaho power last week. they said that the Army Corp of Engineers is requiring them to keep Brownlee empty with a 130% snowpack and more snow on the way it wont be for another 4-5 weeks till they start filling. we were suppose to be at hewitt this coming weekend for a week and had to postpone till august for 6 campsites together.
nrcastro213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcastro213 View Post
Wife talked to Idaho power last week. they said that the Army Corp of Engineers is requiring them to keep Brownlee empty with a 130% snowpack and more snow on the way it wont be for anothe 4-5 weeks till they start filling. we were suppose to be at hewitt this coming weekend for a week and had to postpone till august for 6 campsites together.
Well.... that BITES! Thanks for the update.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
hill shooter
Coho

Isn't there a locked gate on the sag road still?
hill shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
Buck's C
Cutthroat

Think I'll fish from home for a few more weeks ,Springers are starting to show here & smallmouth has been very good on the Snake. Thanks for all the info...."Just Add Water"...
Buck's C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
chromesteel
Steelhead

Looks like the water is slowly going up now.
chromesteel is offline   Reply With Quote