oakley reservior - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
idaho jones
Cutthroat

Default oakley reservior

has anyone ever fished oakley reservoir south of burley idaho? i am heading there with a friend this weekend. we hope to catch some trout or walleye. i dont know what else is in there. any info would be appreciated on what to use and where to go etc. thanks.

idaho jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
FelonFinder
Tuna!

Default Re: oakley reservior

Yes, I have fished it about a dozen or more times. Are you fishing bank or boat? I will tell you what I can and also suggest you call the Ace sporting goods store in Poky. There is a guy there that has done a lot of time on Oakley, aka Goose Creek Res. I can't remember the guy's name, though.
FelonFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
idaho jones
Cutthroat

thanks felon finder. it is just a quick trip to burley and i thought i would try someplace new. i will call the ace sporting goods to see what they say. do you know what kind of fish are in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
FelonFinder
Tuna!

It has perch, walleye, and trout. If there is another species in there, I don't know of it. It would be a great smallmouth lake, but I don't think there are any populations in there. It also may have bullhead catfish. There are some large walleye in there. The perch all seem to be short and very fat!

Are you bank fishing? It is a difficult spot to bank fish because of the sheer cliffs. Where you can walk to the water, you can still catch fish. I have caught walleye off the dam in the morning. If you boat it, fish around the spill tower. Fish like to hang around it. It's going to be cold and tough fishing for another month at least. June will probably be best. Also, you may see some ... interesting people. Be careful there as the bank with its cliffs is very treacherous. However, there are some nice perches there for fishing off the cliffs. Lots of shale there if you need some rock to decorate with. Oakley has great scenery but if you want to put fish in the cooler, go to Milner. Lots of bass, some channel cats, and right now, if you would like your limit of whitefish, they are biting. They bite light and wind can be difficult. Wind can be a problem at Oakley as well. Let me know how it goes. I miss that old lake.
FelonFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
idaho jones
Cutthroat

i will be fishing from the bank. mostly just want to check out a new lake while i am in burley. i have never caught a walleye so that is part of the reason i decided on oakley. thanks again for the info.