Making your own spinnerbaits - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Default Making your own spinnerbaits

I cast my own jigs for steelhead & love fishing compact spinnerbaits for smallies
but I can't seem to find compact spinnerbait in the colors I like (Darker- blacks, olive etc), w/ the weight sizes & blades I like.
I also cast my own bullets and have all the equip & knowledge, So... I thought it only natural to just start making my own.

Mould: Do-it of course. But which one? Bullet, fish head, eyes?.... pro/cons?
Barlow & others: Wires, blades, hooks etc.
Skirts: figured on Strike Kings but open to others.

And what paint? I powder coat my jigs and already have most of the basic colors; blk, wht, chartruse green. But don't think I can simply dip a spinner bait like I dip the jig heads. Shaker? or cover the hook w/ masking tape and dip? Thoughts????

I like the Boyah Pond Magic but frequently add weight on the wire above the head.
I like Willows in silver & gold, hammered & slick, sometimes I like multiple blades, others only a single.
But I also like twisted eyes so I can use duo-lock snaps to speed change spinner colors or over to a crank w/o re-tying.
And I have the spinner wire twisting tools to do just about anything.

I see myself having a box of painted bait wires, and adding skirts and blades as I see fit for the conditions.
I'm sure I will arive at some favorite combos and will have some of those pre-made up.
But I want the raw componenets in the box to make up just about any weight, color & blade size combo.

Any advise is welcome. Best prices for components etc.

Oh, one other question....I like gold plated because they don't tarnish but those are spendy.
What are your thoughts on clear coated brass? Or should I just use brass and polish them up w/ Never Dull when needed?
Hunt'nFish

PS: Maybe someone has someone has a mould and components they want to cut loose, I'm game for a sale.

Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Blacktailfiend
Steelhead

Default Re: Making your own spinnerbaits

Lately I been toyin with the Idea of making my own spinnerbaits as well. I havent really picked a mold yet but I'm leaning more towards a custom mold. I prefer a spinnerbait with more of a little head and long body as apposed to the weight being basically the head and collar only. A company by the name of hitechluremolds says all they need is the head and hook you wanna use and they can make the mold of it. That being said, if they charge a billion bucks I may just go with something more standard. As far as skirts go I prefer to make my own but if you want a pretty good selection of skirts check out real deal custom tackle. They can make custom skirts or they have a big selection on their website which I've used for ideas from time to time. Either way show us some pics when you get going. Good luck
Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
pirk fan
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
I cast my own jigs for steelhead & love fishing compact spinnerbaits for smallies
but I can't seem to find compact spinnerbait in the colors I like (Darker- blacks, olive etc), w/ the weight sizes & blades I like.
I also cast my own bullets and have all the equip & knowledge, So... I thought it only natural to just start making my own.

Mould: Do-it of course. But which one? Bullet, fish head, eyes?.... pro/cons?
Barlow & others: Wires, blades, hooks etc.
Skirts: figured on Strike Kings but open to others.

And what paint? I powder coat my jigs and already have most of the basic colors; blk, wht, chartruse green. But don't think I can simply dip a spinner bait like I dip the jig heads. Shaker? or cover the hook w/ masking tape and dip? Thoughts????

I like the Boyah Pond Magic but frequently add weight on the wire above the head.
I like Willows in silver & gold, hammered & slick, sometimes I like multiple blades, others only a single.
But I also like twisted eyes so I can use duo-lock snaps to speed change spinner colors or over to a crank w/o re-tying.
And I have the spinner wire twisting tools to do just about anything.

I see myself having a box of painted bait wires, and adding skirts and blades as I see fit for the conditions.
I'm sure I will arive at some favorite combos and will have some of those pre-made up.
But I want the raw componenets in the box to make up just about any weight, color & blade size combo.

Any advise is welcome. Best prices for components etc.

Oh, one other question....I like gold plated because they don't tarnish but those are spendy.
What are your thoughts on clear coated brass? Or should I just use brass and polish them up w/ Never Dull when needed?
Hunt'nFish

PS: Maybe someone has someone has a mould and components they want to cut loose, I'm game for a sale.
Bullet spinnerbaits are very simple to cast and also very effective. Other shapes with more details are harder to get complete castings. I prefer the ones with a ball collar. Just use appropriate size wire for the mold, bend a little hook in the end and crimp it to the hook. Spinnerbaits are easily cast with a ladle or Hot Pot type lead melter, but bottom pour melters don't work well because the wire hits the bottom of the pot. Bend to the spinnerbait shape after casting. Skirt material comes in ribbons, an appropriate length is tied on with either wire or rod wrapping thread then stretched, cutting off the tip of the ribbon while stretched, at which point the ribbons separate into filaments. Or buy pre-made skirts and slip them on.

Powder coating is actually pretty easy on spinnerbaits. Using a candle or hot air gun, heat the body of the spinnerbait while holding the entire hook concealed in a pair of pliers. The pliers (duckbills work well for this) act as a heat sink, keeping the hook too cool for the powder coating to stick. Dip in powder coating, then tap or blow off any powder on the hook before reheating to finish the powder coating. Lots of manufacturers use a ballbearing swivel with a split ring to attach the blade, I use a crane swivel with snap for colorado blades, because the deep cup on a colorado blade has plenty of action without using ball bearing swivels, and the snap makes it easy to change blade colors.

Last edited by pirk fan; 04-08-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: .
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
QH's Paw
Ifish Nate

It's probably been 10 years but, I made some of my own mainly trying to cut costs and to try my own color combos not available.
I didn't go to the extent you are talking about Mike.
I bought the wires with hook and weights already on them. Paint dipped colors or bought pre-coated. I liked black with metal flake heads best.
Oh, and they had different hook size and head weight options but, mostly I remember 3/8oz was what I ended up using.
I think I bought them out of Washington somewhere. Maybe the guy that shows up for the Sportsman show every year.
I still have some, I'll have to look around in the pile (er I mean shed).
I'm sure you already know sources for blades and skirts.
You'll also have to decide "R" wire or twist with a swivel when you find or make the body.
Man, now you got me thinking about this again. I gotta tear that place apart and find those.