burnt turkey help!! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2001 archives

Old 12-31-2001, 09:55 AM   #1
puddles
Chromer

Default burnt turkey help!!

well finally got all set up the turkey cooker. followed instructions to the letter. i think!!! injected marinade under skin into breast. peanut oil up to 350* drop in turkey(gently)!!! MAINTAIN 350* 13lbs at 44min.came out sortof black. the meat was not well done. but skin was burnt. is that the way they always come out.still tasted allright. any tips. thanks

puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2001, 10:14 AM   #2
Gus Orviston
Flatlander

Default Re: burnt turkey help!!

I had a similar experience, I fryed up a 12 lb turkey for 36 minutes. The skin was black in some areas but the meat seamed done. The issue I had was I used that Creole Butter, I wanted a simple marinade, but I found you got to make your own. I put in an ounce of marinade per pound of bird and it was too much. The Creole Butter isn't a very good taste (too me anyway) and the result was not as good as expected. I am planning my second bird with a butter based (no CAJUN anything marinade).

My brother smoked a 21 pounder and a ham for Xmas dinner and that was incredible. I need to come up with a fry recipe that is as good as his smoked.
Gus Orviston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 10:27 AM   #3
Artwo
King Salmon

Gus,
I've been deep frying turkeys for a while now, here is my favorite. I smoke them in my little chief smoker for about two pans full of alder and apple chips mixed. Then I deep fry it as instructed with no marinade, cut down on the frying time just a little (maybe about 5 minutes for a 12-15lb bird) since it was in the smoker. And yes the skin is usually darkened quite a bit, just peel and eat.

mmmmmmmm goooood.

JK
Artwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2001, 10:32 AM   #4
THE REEL HEY_YALL

Peel a potato and insert it into your bird next time.
THE REEL HEY_YALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 10:37 AM   #5
Artwo
King Salmon

Hey_Yall,
As I stated above; I've been frying turkeys for awhile, what does the potatoe do..........might be able to use it next time.

Thanks
JK
Artwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 10:45 AM   #6
Dogfish
Steelhead

The skin on mine came out dark brown, but inside was perfect. I used a boullion based injection recipe, but since I was using a vet syringe, 50cc, I had to strain my marinade before injecting it because of the small bore needle. The areas where the marinade leaked out were where the skin was darkest.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:54 AM   #7
THE REEL HEY_YALL

R2 - I think it somewhat purifies the oil. All I know is that it prevents burning. It's probably the same type chemistry where if you fry fish and you want to fry chicken, but don't want the chicken to taste like fish, you cook up a whole potato.

Dogfish, also stated something worth noting. Buy an injector made for marinades. That's where the quality of your meat lies.
THE REEL HEY_YALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 12:18 PM   #8
puddles
Chromer

thanks guys. i did use the cajun marinade.and according to dir.10oz. per lb. means i used the whole 12 oz. bottle. then what leaked out i rubbed on the skin. maybe a mistake. also i live at 1100ft. elev. i wonder if that effects any thing.do you think the oil is worth saving after burning a bird like that.
puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 04:16 PM   #9
Trout,myster
Tuna!

Puddles-
Yep, the oil is definitely worth saving at least if you used peanut oil. Eliminate the headaches and go buy a pump. The filters work great and the pump will pull all the oil out in 2-3 minutes if you pump it at 50-70 degrees.
As far as the turkey, mine usually come out fairly dark skinned, almost to the point of what I would call burnt. I sort of ignore the directions and add about 10 minutes onto the calculated time. The instructions say 3 1/2 minutes per pound so I figure that out and just tack on 10 minutes. Had a problem before with turkey not being done (grab the legs and pull them away from the bird).
Marinade is what you taste, check out some other ones or make your own. The stuff that comes with the cooker is usually too strong for my taste. I found some butter style marinade at Gas Connection and used two syringes full for an entire 15 pound bird. That was plenty! Just have to fool with it. When all is done...cleanup is the worst part! Think maybe I'll splurge and get a stainless pot, the aluminum holds oil way too bad.