Ten Mile and Umpqua Trip - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
MXRacer105
Tuna!

Default Ten Mile and Umpqua Trip

Took a trip to Ten Mile Lake and Umpqua River last weekend. A great trip, one of Oregon's best largemouth lakes and one of nation's best smallmouth rivers, and only about an hour apart.

The bite on Ten Mile was a bit tough, although we got a late start, but we caught some decent fish including the 4.5 lbs hawg in the picture below. Forecast called for 20-25 mph winds the last time I checked before leaving town, but the arm we fished was dead calm for 90% of the day, and hot as hell, not normal for the coast in September. We caught fish on jigs, spinnerbaits and the ol' drop shot. My buddy threw a swim bait from time to time, but no takers. Caught a few between 2 - 2.5 lbs, but this was the biggest fish of day, taken on my 3rd cast of the day....

After a wonderful stay at the Marriott in Reedsport (aka Econ-Inn) we headed out to the Umpqua for a guided drift boat float down the river. The bite was not amazing, but we were able to catch probably near 100 fish between my buddy and I. Caught a few on X-Raps in the morning, and my buddy nailed his biggest fish, a 4lbs, 19.5 inch smallie only 30 minutes into out trip. Site fishing for big smallies is the greatest...

Most of our fish were caught on soft plastics, I used the drop shot mostly, and my buddy had on a wacky rigger Senko. In the afternoon, we caught some good fish on spinnerbaits. Many fish around 2 lbs, and a million more around a pound. It is hard to keep the dinks off the drop shot, even after upsizing the baits. It was really weird how interested they were in the drop shot weight. They would nail the weight on the way down, and then notice the lure, and then lazily suck that in...

We saw quite a few smallies that were 4+, but couldn't fool the old hens into eating, except the one above. Once they would get interested, a 1 pounder would sneak over and steal the lure. But either way, caught a bunch of fish, saw some Chinook, a Silver, a ton of ********* and some very hungry Osprey. Actually had either a Steelhead or a Silver chase a spinnerbait for a bit, but wouldn't commmit. That would have been a good pic, but there is always next year.....

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught"
MXRacer105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
AtItAgain
Tuna!

Default Re: Ten Mile and Umpqua Trip

It definatly sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
1bigfish
Tuna!

Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend.
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Bassinator
Chromer

Looks like it was a awesome trip. Thanks for that report. It seems as though people have been struggling at ten mile lately.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
tuanchau
Steelhead

You always manage to pull big fish everywhere you go!

Close to 100 fish......I'd be in heaven, even if they were dinks!
tuanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Jade Monkey
Steelhead

man you really can catch some fish .....looks like you had a great time and thanks for the great report and pics got an extra seat next time??LOL ... thanks again for sharing... nice fish.... love them LM on jigs
Jade Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Jade Monkey
Steelhead

first time i really noticed there are 2 different boats in these pics ...?? ... did you take 2 or am i wrong?
Jade Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 AM   #8
MXRacer105
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Monkey View Post
first time i really noticed there are 2 different boats in these pics ...?? ... did you take 2 or am i wrong?
The first is in my boat, the second was a guided trip on the Umpqua... thus drift boat. I wish I had a boat capable, or even the know-how, to take a boat down the umpqua. But I guess that would just mean more driving anyway... long live the Willamette!!

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught"
MXRacer105 is offline   Reply With Quote