Columbia River Water Levels - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
jaybee
Steelhead

Default Columbia River Water Levels

I've been fishing the Columbia River around Cascade Locks and Hood River for the past few weeks and have noticed that it sounds much lower than this time last year. Does anyone know why they're keeping the Bonneville Pool so low this year?

jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
AlseaAssassin
Sturgeon

Default Re: Columbia River Water Levels

I don't know but I noticed it to last weekend. I fished last Monday and pool was up high and now it's at least two feet down. Maybe there expecting alot of runoff from the Idaho tribs?? Some of my go to holes are a bust but others have fished great.
AlseaAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
B-RUN STEELIE

Idaho is in the midst of a very low snowpack year. The rivers have already peaked so thats not it.
B-RUN STEELIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

I don't know what the management of water level entails but as we came down I84 we saw the JD pool was low, the Dalles pool high, the Bonnie Pool high and all spillways dumping massive amounts of water......I suspect to flush the salmon smolts.
Hunt'nFish
Old 05-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
jaybee
Steelhead

Hunt 'n Fish: Wow! When did you see the Bonneville Pool? I was there this past Saturday and Sunday (last couple of days) and the pool seemed to be way down from last year. There were a couple of spawning areas that held 3-5' of water last year that were high and dry. Think they might be raising water levels during the week and dropping on weekends? jb
jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Got a good look at the Bonnie pool going up on Thursday (Mayor SP was flooded and high), but it was dark coming back on sunday. But the other pools I noted were seen on Sunday 5/20.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
tailwalker

I actually got my boat stuck on a sand bar in the Dalles pool. I had to call the dam and they told me that when they are making power the pool can drop 5 feet within hours. You've gotta watch yourself up there.

Good Luck
Tailwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
I've been fishing the Columbia River around Cascade Locks and Hood River for the past few weeks and have noticed that it sounds much lower than this time last year. Does anyone know why they're keeping the Bonneville Pool so low this year?
tailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
WetBait
Steelhead

I haven't been on the water much this year, but I was in bonneville a couple of times in the past 3 weeks and below the dam yesterday. Bonneville is definitely lower than last year although it seems to be rising. I did notice both times that I could not see any visible water coming from the dam itself. Normally, one side or the other is gushing. It certainly made fishing different not having any current to speak of.

Yesterday, below the dam, I saw sand bars that I've never seen in the last two years of fishing below the dam.

Last weekend was the last time I was up at the Bonneville pool and I'm thinking about hitting it this weekend, anyone see any water coming through the dam this week?
WetBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
Tar Heel
Sturgeon

It sure looks lower at Sand Island near Rooster Rock. Nontheless, this should be a great weekend for those who have boats that aren't in the shop! Wink, wink!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Hummm, lower water? Hummm......"eyes" might be with you Tar-Heel.
Low pressure bothers me though.
Hunt'nFish
Old 09-15-2007, 03:31 AM   #11
WetBait
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
Hummm, lower water? Hummm......"eyes" might be with you Tar-Heel.
Low pressure bothers me though.
Hunt'nFish
I hit the Bonneville pool yesterday and the water is back up to normal but there still isn't any visible water coming through the dam. Had a hard time finding the smallmouth with the wind and lack of current. Managed a few nice ones though.

Hunt'nFish, where would you predict you'd find the eye's given the low water and clear water? Based on your notes I fished for a couple of hours out of camas trying to find them with no luck. Not even a mark on the sonar. I dragged around a worm harness for awhile without a bite. How fast are you typically moving while after 'em? It was slack tide and pretty flat so I switched to bassin'.
WetBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetBait View Post
I hit the Bonneville pool yesterday and the water is back up to normal but there still isn't any visible water coming through the dam. Had a hard time finding the smallmouth with the wind and lack of current. Managed a few nice ones though.

Hunt'nFish, where would you predict you'd find the eye's given the low water and clear water? Based on your notes I fished for a couple of hours out of camas trying to find them with no luck. Not even a mark on the sonar. I dragged around a worm harness for awhile without a bite. How fast are you typically moving while after 'em? It was slack tide and pretty flat so I switched to bassin'.
Well low water levels chases them out of the flats after sun up and closer to the channel edge. So they are more concentrated and you don't have to cover as much area to find them.
Speed....I try to just beat the current and keep a #4-5 blade turning. I run about 3/4-1oz this time of year and like to see it behind the boat 20-30yrds or so. Just bang the bottom every once in awhile, don't drag it.

That area your fishing is pounded hard by others....and it's snaggy as all get out. Cross the river and fish the red cans and give the area up on the upper end of Reed a try too. The outside edge of just about any bar will produce...any place current washes food over a bar or reef.

Check out the area from R N48 can down to R N46 can, of course Ough reef and bottom end of Reed down Ough. Anywhere where current is adjacent to flats. If a little current washes over it, so much the better. If you find peamouths....drop back down river 200-300yrds and you'll find eyes.

Use the above example and translate it to other places on the river.
oh....mash the end of your work and replace them every other pass whether it needs it or not.
Use plastic quick change clevises and experiment with differant blade styles. i've found they can like one vribration and not like another. So don't be afraid to play around w/ the blade "thump" and colors.
good luck.
Hunt'nFish
Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 PM   #13
Dan360
Sturgeon

I was in Hood River watching the windsurfers on Saturday. The water looked really low. I saw a windsurfer hit some sand and he looked like he bit it pretty hard on the fall.

TEAM PURIST
Dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote