North River Boats - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2001 archives

Old 01-24-2001, 05:57 PM   #1
Rippenlips
Steelhead

Default North River Boats

NorRivDave, Call me at work between 7 and 4 if North river doesn't cover your pump under warr. The pump bearing should be greased every 10 hours. I was the owner of the North River that Ramstrong was on Sat. I have had my pump apart, pretty simple. Marine Power has great customer serv. Unlike another co. that has there name on your boat. My direct dial number at work is 296-1248 Ask for Jon T

Rippenlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2001, 06:12 PM   #2
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Default Re: North River Boats

The guys at Thunderjet told me to give my kodiak a few shots of grease once a year. A year went by, 80hrs on the pump and everything was dandy at it's first greasing. This isn't me recommending to wait that long, just an example as to why it is BS that the X-treme took a dive when it did...

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Salmonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 01:11 PM   #3
boater
Tuna!

a buddy of mine is looking at a north river boat, what should he stay away from so he dont have any trouble, thanks
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2001, 01:19 PM   #4
Jeffhead
Chromer

Interesting that the maintenance schedule for the greasing of the bearings on inboard pumps is so infrequent. I have a Johnson with an outboard jet. I must just be paranoid as I grease the pump bearing after every trip without exception, axle bearings on the trailer also which is a EZ Loader. I know why I do the trailer bearings, seen to many unfortunate souls boats and trailers on the side of the road dead cause they didn't!!! Was also with my buddy a few years ago when his spindle broke off at 0 dark thirty in the morning, man what a light show from the sparks coming off of the trailer, not to mention the tire passing us at 60 miles an hour on I-5 !!! When I asked when the last time he had greased the bearings his answer was "last spring" (this was December!!!). Grease is cheap compared to major repairs. What about the rest of you outboard owners, what is your PM schedule??? Any horror stories due to lack of maintenance???
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff

------------------
There's two theories to arguin' with a woman...... Neither one works
Old 01-25-2001, 01:28 PM   #5
Predator Dawg

Jeffhead -

When I had my Duck inboard with a jet, I would change the oil every 3 months or so, and every time I changed it, I'd grease the U-bolts and the pump. Never had a problem with this schedule, it was more than what Duckworth recommended.

Steve
Predator Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 02:10 PM   #6
boater
Tuna!

i have a 212 pump, i just shoot a few pumps of grease after every thirty hours of use, it`s important in these pumps not to over grease them or you could damage the seal, i also change enging oil every 40 hours, and check coolant level, put some grease on the exposed steering parts, one thing i have changed is spraying the motor and everything with a corrosion spray like wd-40, i dont do that, i bought 2 spray cans of high heat clear paint and gave the engine and all the wiring a thick coat, this seals everything from the water and doesnt act like a sponge in collecting dust, no more greasy motor and everything is sealed.
Old 01-25-2001, 02:35 PM   #7
STRIKE ZONE
Chromer

My schedule is like jeffheads,Bearings and pump after every use.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
STRIKE ZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 03:46 PM   #8
Rippenlips
Steelhead

All service work on your boats should be in hours with the exception of maybe the trailer wheel bearings. I was greasing my boat trailer every three times in the water and had to pull the drum of the other day because the brake adjuster fell off the brake shoes. ( only a year old EZ loader) But I still had water in the cup. I think I'll do it every trip now. In regards to Buying a North River, I love it but have had many problems that shouldn't have been there. 1-bucket cable kinked first time with wife on boat. (not good) made a stop so it wouldn't happen again. North river said it only needed to be adjusted.(Sure!) 2-brake line on trailer disconnected,No brakes!!! Nobody checked before delivery to me?? I fixed. 3- blew impeller up due to poor casting. only me and kids (not good) Marine power was great in sending me the parts. I wasn't going back to North River. 4- my cell phone kept blowing the fuse when I plugged into cig. lighter. Polarity backwards on cig. ligher. I thought maybe the wires were the same color and they (NR)got confused but there was a red hooked to ground and a black wire hooked to B+. 5- Wiperarm falling off. I fixed. 6- Right exaust manifold leak by rubber hose. They can't fix and either have I at this time. 7- Steering wheel falling off. I tighten loose nut. Maybe more but I try to forget!!! I still love the design but all these problems are due to poor assembly. Sorry for venting. I've talked to Mark at Motion Marine and can see alot of better design in his boats. I don't think they are as pretty but does that really matter when your running on the rapids. Which I'm to chicken to do.
Old 01-25-2001, 05:11 PM   #9
boater
Tuna!

i guess he is going to buy one, i think a 20 footer with the 175 sportjet, a kicker motor, canvas top with cruise curtain for about 22.000, for that price it must not be the top of the line model.
Old 01-25-2001, 05:17 PM   #10
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

Maaaan...don't go and say something bad about Northriver. You're wreckin' my fanatasy. That's supposed to be my next boat!...at least, after my wife gets her new bedroom furniture, and the kids furniture and some college $ stowed away for the kids, and my new shop...aaah, go ahead...

I hate when people say bad stuff about something you've been planning on in your private dream world.
Old 01-25-2001, 06:26 PM   #11
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Grease the 212 every tank of gas....80 gallon tank so...6 to 8 hours. 550 hours and still works like new. Grease the wheel bearings about every 3 months....launch boat at least 1 time per week all year long. Use bearing buddy's...never had a problem. Take them appart 1 time per year...usually at brake maintenance time. Change Engine oil at 50 hours and trolling motor ...4 stroke at 25 hours.

Bill
Ifish Member #148
whitewaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 06:28 PM   #12
Pirate
Ifish Nate

Hogtide
You and I must be in the same dreamland....I currently have a NR outboard and dream of a new inboard, but man, what they're saying. I also like the Custom Weld and Jetcraft. Better keep looking and dreaming.

------------------
B
Old 01-25-2001, 06:51 PM   #13
Rippenlips
Steelhead

HOGTIDE you need to stop looking at the North River adds. Boats flying through the air... They do take off pretty good but the landing will kill you. Almost busted my knee caps on the dash. They were only black and blue for a week. Don't get me wrong with my posts, it is a great boat you just need to fix everything when you get it and then it works great. An example of a better design by Motion Marine is he welds a 1" thick piece of aluminum to were the pump bolts to the boat and North River and others just bolt the pump to the 3/16" aluminum. If you are going to hit a rock and you will if you like the North River adds. Which one do you want to be in??
Old 01-25-2001, 06:52 PM   #14
Salmonator
Sturgeon

You guys shopping for boats should really check out the Thunderjets. I have 140 hours in not quite two years and very few problems to speak of. Many of those hours have been rough duty stuff on the big blue and bays. I think you will find that you won't pay for the name either. Their reverse chine is more exaggerated than most and they handle like a much smaller boat. Another plus is a larger bow area, seems safer while anchoring in rough water. Hit the boat show and look real close at the welds on all the big names and see if the TJ doesn't have some of the best looking beads out there... Joe

Addition- just saw Rippen's post and agree about the landings. We put the TJ in at Hood River for it's maiden voyage and while I was admiring all the pretty guages and lights, I failed to notice the very large barge wakes that I hit at 40mph. We caught complete air and my 35lb river anchor went two feet up and bounced off the center windshield. That landing was as if we landed on asphalt. In mid air I thought we were all history, but we came out unscathed other than a few scratches up near the windshield (suspension seats are sweet)... Joe

[This message has been edited by Salmonator (edited 01-25-2001).]

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Old 01-25-2001, 06:53 PM   #15
whitewaterbill
Chromer

By the way....North river don't make pumps and they are solid gold at standing behind the boat if you should have a problem. Had mine for 5 years and they have stepped up on a trailer issue and a fuel tank problem.....No questions asked! They did not make the fuel tank or the trailer!
They don't come any better than North River in my book!

Bill

[This message has been edited by SLUTGODDESS (edited 01-25-2001).]
Ifish Member #148
Old 01-25-2001, 07:11 PM   #16
boater
Tuna!

am i the only one that ownes a wooldridge classic here ??
Old 01-25-2001, 07:25 PM   #17
Deleted User

I missed what got this chat all started, but I'll add this... I've owned a North River for 2 years. I grease my 212 every 8 to 10 hours just like they told me. When I first got the boat I was greasing way too much because the grease started seeping through the seal. I haven't had a single problem. I've added lots of options to my boat since I bought it and had it to thier store and factory many times for service. I've always been treated like I expect to be. I take it you haven't been? What's the story?
Old 01-25-2001, 07:31 PM   #18
aye fsh
Steelhead

Slutgoddess, I'm thinking like you.I have had my North River for a little over a year and have put 122 hrs on it and have had zero problems. I also feel I got way more bang for my buck with this boat over what I was quoted by other manufacturers. The bonus is that it is reeeally cool looking too! Sorry some of you others are having problems but I have to believe that's the exception, not the rule.

------------------
ayefsh,there4ayeam

#149 to #109, AAaarhuughh...?
aye fsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 07:39 PM   #19
brshooter
Ifish Nate

I am glad to hear some positive. I have a 19' Sportjet on order. Due about the middle of March and I can't wait. Hope they hold true to their projected delivery date. If they are late, I will have to park it for two or three weeks before I can go play. Working for a living stinks doesn't it. :-D
Ifish Member #445

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” Thomas Aquinas
brshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 07:47 PM   #20
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

There boys...that's more like it!!!! I can feel my dream is regathering it's strength.Noooorth Riiiiver...oooh , there, I feel better.

BTW I hate to burst the Motion Marine bubble ( no malice intended here, R-Lips)But my good pal purchased a new MM a couple years ago, and the craft was designed so poorly, he finally returned it, taking a major hit on the purchase price. It would not plane out with horsepower that should have been quite adequate. And, it leaked, yes, it really leaked. The story of trying to rectify the problem was ugly and costly.
So...."POP" Oh, I mean, no malice intended here.
Old 01-25-2001, 07:52 PM   #21
Fish4Fun
Steelhead

Guess I should jump in here someplace. I have a Weldcraft 20 Dart inboard. only had 1 problem and that wans't the boats fault. Marine Power had a bad timing light at the factory and I got lucky to get one that was timed by it. Reset the distributor and I am happy to say that was the end of all problems. The boat is 2 years old and is fished from salt to rivers all the time. I grease the American Turbine every 20 hours, engine oil is changed at 30. Trailer is greased before every trip. The 20 dart inboard is not being made any more from what I just found out. Too bad, as I did demo ALL of the inboards before buying it.

Fish 4 Fun

Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 08:08 PM   #22
WaterDog
King Salmon

Ok I'll add fuel and risk a flamming!

Friend had a NR. Porposed like a bad dream no matter how he shifted the wieght around and had several quality issues. Took him out in my Motion Marine and he was sold, got one for himself. I've fished out of 2 other MM boats besides mine and no problems what-so-ever. I'm now thinking of getting a bigger one. Mark's boats are as good as any others. Everyone makes a lemon once in a while.

No bubbles poppin' here!

[This message has been edited by WaterDog (edited 01-25-2001).]
Old 01-25-2001, 09:16 PM   #23
Rippenlips
Steelhead

Oh ya any thing over 32mph in my North River it also porposes (sp?) like crazy. The Motion Marine hull has a special curve to the under side of the hull to help stop that. I've heard that some Ducks have that problem also.
I don't think the Sport Jet has enough torque to move alot of weight, thats why it is hard getting up on plane with a lot of gear. I also like the Thunder Jets. Great welding.
Old 01-25-2001, 09:33 PM   #24
Salmonator
Sturgeon

I have to add that a friend has a 19' North River w/sportjet and even with three of us up front will porpoise like crazy. Probably nothing a couple of tabs won't cure. Couldn't it be as simple as changing the transom angle slightly backwards when manufacturing the boat? Sal

Old 01-25-2001, 09:51 PM   #25
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

OK, I give. NR's porpoise, have wiring problems and a variety of parts fall off from time to time. I'll never convince my wife,with all this nasty propoganda posted. Guess I can still sleep with the full color pamphlet...I did like that part where the Ranger was air-borne.

Ya know, I've got a real nice Alumaweld Super-vee in the garage. No porpoise-No Problems- No Payment...darnit, I like that new boat smell, though.
Old 01-25-2001, 10:12 PM   #26
Captain Hook
Cutthroat

I have a 19' NR with a 175 Sportjet. I initially had a porpoising problem and found that I just had to fine tune the trim trab. Problem went away and it handles great. I also never overload it and find that it has plenty of power for my needs. It accelerates out of the hole very quickly and gets up on plane. I've had it on the Snake, Columbia, Cowlitz, and North Fork of the Lewis and am very pleased with it's performance. I'd buy another in a heart beat!
Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 11:05 PM   #27
Deleted User

Hey Hogtide, emial me direct anytime. I'll take you for a ride that's just like all those pictures you're taking about and nothing like everything I've read tonight.
Old 01-25-2001, 11:29 PM   #28
Ramstrong
Tuna!

Damn Jon, they'll let anyone on this board these days. If you start spending time here, you're not going to need me in your boat to teach you stuff. Well welcome, and it's about time.
Team "Lawbreaker"

[email protected]
Ramstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 05:30 AM   #29
WaterDog
King Salmon

No porpoising at all in any MM I've been in at any speed. No trim tabs either. I like Mark's outback design and if power is a problem, just add another motor! Twin sportjets on a 20', that has got to be fun!

Old 01-26-2001, 05:49 AM   #30
willierower

You guys sould take a look at an Eagle. Check em out at www.marinemotorsports.com
Eagle makes an awesome boat.
Wayne Adams at Sea People in Gold Beach builds a good boat too. Then there is always Boice Boats. I dont have numbers or web adresses for Sea People or Boice boats. I bet if you looked hard enough you could find them.
Ive been in to Jetcraft bots with the 175 sportjet.I wasnt impressed at all. A small block has more horse power, uses less fuel and is cheaper to maintain.
willierower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 03:10 PM   #31
boater
Tuna!

what kind of fuel millage do these sport jets get ??
Old 01-26-2001, 03:42 PM   #32
onstep
Tuna!

To anwser your question they burn alot of fuel at full throttle around 17 to 18 gallons. At least thats what our tests told us. We figured that the average cruise burn is in the range of 4 to 7 gallons per hour. However, given the speed I see sportjets going on the river it looks like you could expect to burn around 10 gallons an hour. You get one of these things and full speed is so tempting it just has to be done.
onstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 06:21 PM   #33
Rippenlips
Steelhead

The sport jet is good but when you load your boat with people and gear it doesn't have the torque like a v8. Let me ask this quistion. I think most people that buy a fishing boat like fish, so why would you want to pollute the water using a 2 stroke??? I would rather use a Honda 130 with a pump than pollute the water with a 2-stroke. Never mind they are not letting people run 2-strokes on certain lakes. The other thing is a 4-stroke will out last a 2-stroke in regards to a rebuild. I think Honda would have a great following if they took one of there V-tec car engines and made an inboard jet like merc has with the sport jet. Just think, 250 horses out of an engine half the size of a v-8 that is 200 lbs lighter and gets better mpgs and and will out live any chevy or ford two to one!!! Or how about and all aluminum Lexus VVTi 400 horse V8! I'm dreaming agian!!
Old 01-26-2001, 07:41 PM   #34
Joe
King Salmon

I am all for four strokes when they are practical but from what I understand they (four stroke outboards) really don't do well with a jet. I have never run a Honda jet but have spoken to several people who have as well as a few dealers and they all say they are too sluggish and heavy.

It seems like a sport jet with a four stroke powerhead might be the ticket?

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 10:07 PM   #35
backlash
Steelhead

What gives? All this talk about jet boats, and no mention of Alumaweld, good bad or ugly?
backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 07:12 AM   #36
jet
Sturgeon

Alumawelds...ugly and maybe a little over priced. I see they are pushing the spotjet in their boats to get the price down.

I visited Siglers the other day and noticed a new offering from Duckworth, finally a newer design from duck. Since weldcraft now is a major owner of Duck I guess it stands to reason that they might get into the new century with a new boat,not just hashed out older stuff with more fluff. The boat is 19' and really wide I can not believe how much room this little 19'er has. The boat has a winshield simular to Motion Marine the 3 window type (no side windows)priced around $21,000. The boat has a 351 redline v-8 with American Turbine. When a guy has a boat you always look at what is new and where your next boat might come from. I still really love my Weldfraft, but impressed by the new Duckworth offering.

Jet~~~

[This message has been edited by jet (edited 01-27-2001).]

I-Fish member #389
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 09:18 AM   #37
Deleted User

The fierce competition from so many jetboat makers now is bringing out better products. That's supposed to be the American way with free enterprize. The Motion Marine is a good example; starting out with probs and now their boats are primo (although they need more open tray space). The thing I don't understand is with all these multitude of boat manufacturers competing, why hasn't it brought down prices more? Because of fishermen drooling on themselves in showrooms and boatshows? And then just paying what they are asking? All of us need to drive harder bargains. Get up from the table at Steven's while dealing for a Super-Vee Pro and tell them you are headed to see how far down the Wille Predator salesmen is willing to deal today. Those 2 boats are so similar and pretty equal - go with the best prices! ...

Also, use trim tabs. They can help almost any boat or sled plane faster in a shorter distance, stay on plane at slower speeds (saving gas and wear and tear), and they reduce or stop porpoising. And they don't cost much. The shorter the boat the more benefit you'll get from the tabs. ...

Hog', hears another needle to pop your fantasy? I recently sold my Camaro SS, which was the reason I downgraded from my Alumiweld Super-Vee Pro to a used 18' older flatbottom Alumiweld with re-built big motor and new kicker. Gained just over 10 grand on the switch. Now I am thinking about another semi-vee sled after selling the car toy. But here's the needle: with the Federal Endangered Species Act in combo with policy leanings toward first reducing then abolishing hatchery plants of salmon and steelhead region wide, leaving many years before broodstock and native fish reach fishable numbers; and the dwindling sturgeon getting hammered even more because of the above ... is it worth spending 30 grand on a sled? Until I get a clearer picture of what is going to happen in the near and distant fishing future, I will stick to my very capable old sled; and buy a Harley or Corvette instead of an overpriced boat. -- Here, I'll say it for you guys: "ah, go stuff it RT"
Old 01-27-2001, 03:07 PM   #38
boater
Tuna!

what gets to me is the sportjet, this has got to be one of the most money making schemes i have ever seen in the aluminum boat building companys, to take a motor/jet package meant to go into a fiberglass toyboat like a bayliner jazz and put it into an aluminum fishing boat is incredible.
Old 01-27-2001, 04:05 PM   #39
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

RT, I hear ya, when it comes to talkin' about price. My original plan was to get another Super-Vee in the 21' model with all the diamondplate, polish, pro-guide setup and a 225hp Merc Saltwater (personally believe this to be the ultimate and sweetest lookin'fishin' machine available, today)But, the price was hoovering at $34k. My wife thought I was insane to pay that for a tiller steer, open tin boat...I had to agree with her. These boats are made out of aluminum, right???? Must be some gold or silver in the alloy, huh.

Anyhow Mrs. Hog says for that kinda money I better end up with steering, a top and a windshield (old peoples boat)...so on to my alternate dream, the famous porpoising NorhtRiver.....man, everybody is wreckin' my fun.

Did you ever chech out how much of a Glas boat you can but for $34K? Huge I/O units, sound systems, luxury seating, cuddy cabins, topless bait girls...hey, don't ya dare mess with this dream.
Old 01-27-2001, 04:51 PM   #40
Deleted User

Well Hog', gotta ruin another fantasy for ya. Been there, done that. It's just a lying salesman's trick to get you to buy the fancy glas boat. It's actually topless bait guys that come with the delux package at the price, $34K, you were quoted. For about 5 grand more you can get the girls. For about 2 grand less you can get bait guys that just got paroled. But I wouldn't recommend you to wear a speedo around them.
Old 01-27-2001, 06:46 PM   #41
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

I'm not sure which picture is uglier,topless prisoners onboard, or, me in a speedo ????
Old 01-28-2001, 09:06 AM   #42
Ed

I just went through the same "what do I buy/need" pain last year. I am married so open tiller boat-out of the question. My fishing boat had to be the family ski and tubing boat also. Wanted it to fit in the garage too. Finally, I wanted to stay in the mid 20k range on cost. Settled on a 19' Duckworth Discovery w/sportjet. I hear what everyone is saying about sportjets but the extra room and cost savings are significant especially in a 19'. I paid 24k plus some change and the boat had just about everything on it. I have 24hrs on the boat and have had no problems; nothing. If you are going to pay big bucks for a boat, it has to do more than fish; at least if you are married.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 09:31 AM   #43
Joe
King Salmon

Hogtide,

Don't overlook finding a nice used North River. The advantage of a boat like this is that if the fishing sucks you still have a good time. Besides I can't get my whole family on a Harley.

[This message has been edited by Great White hunter (edited 02-04-2001).]
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 07:17 PM   #44
212hjet
Steelhead

Interesting listening to all your comments over there in Oregon about jet boats. I've had a 212 since 96 (22' Northwest Jet Boat), I've had my share of problems like most of you with "getting things right" during the first year which included losing the bearing in my 212. I can tell you directly that the factory now tells you to lube them with two squirts every 30 hours as has been mentioned by others in this forum. You don't want to lose one (especially in the big whitewater)and especially if Hamilton/Hough won't stand behind it (they sent my bearing to New Zealand to be tested before warrantying it about one year later). The pump is great in aerated whitewater and for "push". We load up and go on 4-6 day camping trips on the Salmon and Snake Rivers here. I love my boat/motor/pump combo and my family (and buddies) love the room, safety heater and shade.
It is interesting to listen to the boat brand comments. You probably couldn't find 5 serious whitewater jet boaters in all of southern Idaho who think much if anything ot the ThunderJet even though it is made up in Lewiston. Pull up the floor and look at the structure of it, then compare it to better boats. They must have changed something in the last few years or hired new welders, too!
There are a few Duckworths here and a bunch of Customwelds (priced better, particularly the 20' & under sizes.....of which you couldn't give me one....after some white water the bows beeat into the step bow corners & look under the floorboards, also to see if you like the structure). I would suspect that the Columbia's waves could pound a bow,like big whitewater.
We don't see North Rivers over here, so don't know anything about them. We have a number of Alumaweld sled types with outboards which run the flat portions of the Snake and seem to be liked by friends who own them. I've also had a Wooldridge outboard which was one of my favorite boats. Also had a Duckworth. The Wooldridge is a very well built boat also with a good reputation with all I know who own them.
I have a PFI big block and get very good fuel economy. If I were buying any boat right now it would be injected and as well as mine has done with power and economy.....it would be port fuel injected again. This also helps on our long trips up into wilderness rivers so that we can put less wieght into fuel and take along another cooler of food or "beach beverages".
Anyway, I've had some experience with the 212 pump so if I can answer any questions for anyone regarding it, or give any assistance in coming over this way to fish or run whitewater feel free to send a note or e-mail back.Good luck on your "boat" dilemas......don't give up, just be persistent. If you haven't yet purchased, talk and LOOK at as many guy's boats as possible before ordering/buying. Keep running & fishing.
Old 01-28-2001, 07:42 PM   #45
boater
Tuna!

i agree with you on the thunderjets, was amazed to see no structure under floor and the motor sitting on 2 pegs.
Old 01-28-2001, 08:01 PM   #46
Salmonator
Sturgeon

212, thanks for the warning. I can't believe I made it two years w/out stepping through a floorboard or cracking a seam. I'm gonna tear up my floorboards and see exactly what I got under there. Also should I upgrade to the 350 with the 4 or 6 motor mounts? I can't believe they sent me out of the shop with only two. I suppose I should be happy that I have a slight chance to sell my boat over in Idaho. Those poor Duckworth and Customweld guys can't give 'em away ha ha ha

Old 01-28-2001, 09:16 PM   #47
Deleted User

Hogtide,

My offer always stands. If you want to see what a North River is really like, just send me a email.

By the way, yes, North River did change hands a five years ago. And if you want to see what competition does for the market, go look back at F&H News or the Boat Trader from 5 years ago. I'll bet the prices of North River boats have come down 20% at least.
Old 01-28-2001, 11:15 PM   #48
willierower

Ive been reading that some of you guys are concerned about space in an inboard boat wih a V-8 engine. You can get the pump set back about 6" and some pump manufactures make a close couple kit to mount the motor farther back in the boat.Between the 2 options I figure you can get 8 to 10 inches of extra space.
As for porpoising problems. There is an easy way to fix that. Its called a Place Diverter. Its basically adjustable trim for your pump. It controls the nozzle on the pump. It gives you 14 degress of up control and 14 degrees of down.
Drop the nozzle down and you can turn like your boat is on rails. Turn it to get more air under your hull and gain some speed. Plus you can throw some killer rooster tails.
I like to keep up on jet boat racing. There is a lot of technolgy out there that can be adapted to pleasure-fishing boats.
If and when Im able to buy a new jet, Im going with a 21' Sea People with Big block power and an American Turbine SD-309 pump,Place diverter and A high flow nozzle. With a big block There shoud be plenty of torque and horse power to jump the boat out of the hole and keep your cruising rpm's down for better fuel economy.
willierower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 06:35 AM   #49
212hjet
Steelhead

Salmonator: Appreciate your sense of humor, it goes with a good fishing trip! There are a lot of guys fishing and playing in a lot of different brands of aluminum boats, having fun and doing fine for their use. You'd be a fool to think that all of them are built the same. Some uses don't need the beef (and added weight) of more structure or better motor mounts. don't know of anyone who has more than two moter mounts in their construction, but if you want an example.....look at the motor mounts on a Customweld builtmore than 1 1/2 years ago.....then compare them to my Northwest or some other brands.....there are a lot of them over here hanging on the repair shop walls....bent and sagging.....so my comments are to look closely, become knowledgeable, ask questions of other boat owners, look at lots of boats, and evaluate your needs before buying a boat. Like others on this site, my boat had to meet family needs or wouldn't have happened.
The sterns of boats used extensively in whitewater get more pounding than those mainly subjected to bow waves. Go through the factory prior to buying any new boat and evaluate boats under various stages of construction before buying and if you don't....don't complain about surprises...just fix them and enjoy your time on the water. Have fun fishing and boating.
Old 01-29-2001, 07:10 AM   #50
jet
Sturgeon

I just went out and checked, My Weldcraft has 4 motor mounts. you scarred me I did not check mounts when I bought my boat last year. I did travel to the factory, wow soooo much welding inside the boat. I noticed what you were talking about with my buddies Thunderjet, they forgot to finish putting all the supports under the floor. Thunder also placed the supports which seems to be wrong direction to me anyway, his boat also seemed really noisy compared to mine (vibration, rattles)

It seems unlike fibergalss boats their is not controlling factor in Alum. boat construction just opinions and guesses. A guy just has to do the work and talk to a lot of people and ride in a lot of boats (the fun part)

I-Fish member #389
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 07:38 AM   #51
finclipped
Tuna!

Just a word on North River, my uncle has build sleds and drifts for 20+ years and currently works for NR. He has also worked for Alumaweld, and Koffler and probably a couple others I don't know of. The NR shop has expanded from 8 people to over 50 since ownership changed 3 years ago. The basic design has not. Sleds from Southern Oregon, generally have the same design as many of them started with Alumaweld and then splintered off to form their own business.
The Idaho boats are designed differently, and the preference for Oregon boats are mostly a "lack of knowledge" of the Idaho boats i.e. Duckworth. Manufacturers in Oregon are predominately using the same aluminum and similar designs so the difference in boats is relatively small. The difference comes from different pump and motor configurations.
finclipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 08:22 AM   #52
Rippenlips
Steelhead

Beav and Finnclipped said it all. When any CO. goes from a low production to a high volume-low price the quality usually suffers. Fincflipped said the design is the same but they went from 8 people to over 50. So the design is still great but all the little pieces need to be checked. I've been talking alot about North River, because I think they have what it takes to make it perfect! Money and quality come hand in hand. Even if you have to loose a little $ on a deal. That happy customer will sell many boats if there problems are taken care of. Do you have what it takes? North River!
Old 01-29-2001, 08:53 AM   #53
SLEDDER
Ifish Nate

I have not had any problems with my 2000 NR. Rippenlipps the transom on the Northriver is 1/4" not 3/16". That is a considerable difference when you are talking T-6 grade aluminum plate. Motion marines 1" inch pump mounting plate is a good idea, better than the 1/4". Maybe a little overkill, better to much than to little in this situation. Hogtide, I have done a [email protected]#$ load of shopping for a jet boat, and I ended up with a NR. No regrets. I agree with Slutgoddess, they are damn good boats.
Old 01-29-2001, 09:23 AM   #54
Rippenlips
Steelhead

SLEDDER, the transom is a 1/4" but the bottom were the intake to the pump bolts is only 3/16. Thats were the hitting a rock matters.
Old 01-29-2001, 09:29 AM   #55
SLEDDER
Ifish Nate

Rippenlipps, Sorry about the misunderstanding. I am hoping you are wrong. I am going over to the Northriver, clackamas location tommorrow, Mike will give me an honest answer, regarding the area we are discussing.
Old 01-29-2001, 10:27 AM   #56
Rippenlips
Steelhead

SLEDDER, I hope I'm wrong to. But I don't think so. You should stop and look at Motion Marines. Your in that area.
Old 01-29-2001, 12:19 PM   #57
onstep
Tuna!

Some excellent points have been made here. Impressive to see the amount of information available to people. The one point that needs to be made with all of the competion that exists in todays aluminum market is that EVERYONE builds a good boat. Manufactures cannot build a product that is subpar. The difference in design is the biggest aspect of welded boats. Canyon style vs Northwest. To the people who believe that cost of welded boats will decrease or go down because of competition that will be temporary. In the last year the cost of raw aluminum went up in the 20 to 35 percent range. As we all know in order to make aluminum you need massive amounts of power. Power just got a lot more expensive. Companies are even selling their power in order to turn a larger profits than the product they build. It is interesting that Alumaweld is the largest manufacturer and the most expensive. They must be doing something right. And why are so many of the top fishing professionals using that product? Kind of like the comparision between Lamiglas (very good rod) and Loomis (considered the best)?
Old 01-29-2001, 12:43 PM   #58
Backlash2
Tuna!

Interesting how you use the comparison between Loomis and Lamiglass. You say the same thing exists in comparing boats. You are correct, kinda. Anybody who already knows how to catch fish will benefit very little, if any, from using a loomis over a lami. Same thing holds true for boats. Having an Alumaweld sticker on the side of the boat doesn't make you catch more fish, nor do Alumaweld's handling characteristics. In alumaweld's case, you are buying a NAME. There are a lot of boats out there constructed better, for less money. They get more for their boats because people see all these guides out there running them and think, well if he has an alumaweld, and he catches fish... Most guides followed the same line of thinking when they started(that, and most boat builders don't build sleds with the room(beam)that alumaweld does. Bottom line, you're buying the name, not necessarily a 'better' boat. Know what you want, look around, and find it. Don't be influenced by the hype....
Old 01-29-2001, 04:04 PM   #59
onstep
Tuna!

Backlash,

I believe that I've confused you. I'm not asserting that owning an Alumaweld catches more fish than any boat. It just seems that so many people can't be wrong. I love my boat wouldn't trade it for the world. I do believe because of the way the bottom is made that it fishes better than others out there. The boat tracks like a dream. I just don't fight the boat like so many other anglers out there. It really allows for more time and concentration to my lines in the water. You are right in saying they hype the boats up, no question. I would have to believe that the people who are providing for there families from fishing would have to see through this. A 35K mistake would really hurt when its your lively hood and food on the table.
Old 01-29-2001, 04:05 PM   #60
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Salmonator...You have a buitiful and well built boat. I would keep it if I was you and feel very proud and happy......Unless your foot goes through the bottom....witch is not likely to happen.
My North River has 3/16 sides and 1/4 bottom and it don't porpoise (SP)? It has a "reel" big engine and a 212 pump and both have been perfect from day one. Alot of run time. 550 hours plus! Have been from Hell's Canyon to Gold beach up the Rogue to Blossom Bar.
4 of us fat guys and all the plunder can go anyplace we want and know that when we need it.....the boat and motor and pump will do it!!!
For 5 years it has performed perfectly at least once a week all year...When fishing is hot several times per week.

Bill
Ifish Member #148