Advice needed ...moss killer on boat carpet - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2003 archives

Old 02-05-2003, 09:14 PM   #1
MasterCaster

Default Advice needed ...moss killer on boat carpet

I need to kill some moss thats growing on the carpet of our boat. It has been sitting for a long time and I am going to use a pressure washer to get rid of most of it but want to put something on it to kill it also. I dont know what to use that wont affect the fish as far as smell or whatever. Any ideas? I have been told laundry soap like tide diluted down with water but want to make sure whatever I use wont harm the fish catching later. :whazzup:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

MasterCaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2003, 09:25 PM   #2
Re:Play

Default Re: Advice needed ...moss killer on boat carpet

For lawns and roofs, the moss killer is has iron as the killing ingredient. Does not sound like something I would want in my boat to rust stuff. I do not know if bleach or TSP would do it. It would be better than using iron. Do not have any other ideas.
Re:Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
ReelTrouble

I dont know if this helps any, but I have had to clean my carpets because of moss, or mold, or something. we used a normal household carpet cleaner. You know the stuff, its like self-shampoo, I just used it on the tough spots and I still managed to do pretty well fishing last year, so i dont think it hurt. Dont know if this helps. As for moss killer... I would not use it for the same reasons Play said.
ReelTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2003, 09:44 PM   #4
MasterCaster

Thanx guys.

I actually work for a place that does alot of spraying and almost all the moss killer stuff has iron in it so thats definately out.

Those reasons are why I dont want to use the actual moss killer but something like a detergent or something that wont do all that. I know I was told awhile back or saw it somewhere that people use some kind of soap mix that has no effect on fish but kills moss dead in its tracks.

I think i can get most of it out by just washing/pressure washing it but dont want it to come back in the nooks and crannies and stuff so I need to kill it off I think. :whazzup:

Old 02-05-2003, 09:48 PM   #5
MasterCaster

ReelTrouble.....I thought about carpet cleaner sprays but thought the smell and chemicals would not be good for a fishing boat. Maybe Ill have to look deaper and see what chemicals are in some of them. My problem is the moss is also on the carpet along the sides on top where your hands tent to rest at times and where the rod holders are.

thanx

Old 02-05-2003, 09:48 PM   #6
jimh
King Salmon

You might try RV Cleaner that you can get at places like Camping World. It takes the moss off the top of my RV.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:10 PM   #7
RvW

Using household detergents will create more mold in the longrun (ever leave a load of laundry in the washer for a few days? it stinks!)

When I owned a duckworth, they suggested a simple mixture of sunlight dishwashing liquid, with a bit of non-chlorine bleach. use a brush and scrub the carpet like one you find at a carwash and let it sit over night. Rinse it well.

spray the carpet surfaces with a well diluted zinc treatment (hardware store) and wipe all the fiberglass or aluminum with armor-all on a rag as this will eliminate the potential of oxidation.

Once a year.
RvW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 11:33 PM   #8
fishchaser
Sturgeon

I put "TIDE W/BLEACH". :shocked: The bleach is what kills the moss. I haven't had it dull out my carpet or anything so it doesn't bleach it out.

I use it on my roof and my carpport. My brother is a builder, he told me to do this. It works.
Member # 496
fishchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:11 PM   #9
garyk
King Salmon

Mastercaster - whatever you use, be careful of the runoff. Example, don't use detergent if the runoff is going into a stormdrain and then untreated into a river.

Don't use persistant chemicals if your home is on a well.

I think folks get really sloppy with stuff like engine-cleaners, degreasers, detergants, etc.

Out home's on a well. Around the place, I use biodegradable 'Simple Green' to remove moss/algae and some oils. It's strong enough, while safe to use.

"Truth Matters"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:48 PM   #10
MasterCaster

Thanx for all the help everyone. Almost all of it is comming off with just the pressure washer so for now I have decided against any chemicals. Im just going to let it dry real well and see what happens. The chemical Idea just bothers me too much scent wise mostly.

garyk, I was actually looking at Simple Green today and i think if I need to spray anything on it thats what I will try.

thanx again

Old 02-06-2003, 07:37 PM   #11
Joe Schwab
King Salmon

I would never use bleach around a fishing boat if you want to catch fish. Even in minute amounts it is a real fish repellent. I would not even use it inside the boat. Lemon Joy is the choice, and good old scrubbing.