Catch a kid a bluegill - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
Bronzeback
Fry

Default Catch a kid a bluegill

Ok, another run at an often asked question: where can I catch my kids some bluegills? We live east of Seattle (but have boat/will travel). Any thoughts or help much appreciated. I'd really like to explore with them this spring/early summer (assuming it comes) and have them catch some. Thanks!

Bronzeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
warmwater
Coho

Default Re: Catch a kid a bluegill

Green Lake in Seattle has some, I believe..most ponds and lakes in your area should have 'em. Focus on the smaller ponds that warm up faster. For easier bluegill action for your son, wait until the nice, hot days show up (i.e. July-September)
warmwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
bassnbass
Steelhead

gills are easy to catch. any where there is water you can catchem, no need for a long drive .
bassnbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Bronzeback
Fry

I have never caught a bluegill in Lake Sammamish, Lake Washington, or other lakes close by my house, which is the reason for the post. Perch, sure. Bluegills --anywhere there's water -- that sounds like a fish story to me. Please somebody tell me more.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
bassnbass
Steelhead

use small live bait like red worm digg up from garden or you could buy wax worm at pet store. This time of year they are getting ready to spawn, wear polarize sun glass walk around and look for them. use ultra lite line with or without bobber, good luck.
bassnbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
spugak4
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzeback View Post
I have never caught a bluegill in Lake Sammamish, Lake Washington, or other lakes close by my house, which is the reason for the post. Perch, sure. Bluegills --anywhere there's water -- that sounds like a fish story to me. Please somebody tell me more.
I used to live in Eastgate just S. of I-90 years ago, and the pond at Robinswood Park by the Mormon Temple was full of bluegills back then. Small ones, but plenty of them. It's been many years (ok, 3 decades) so haven't any idea how it is anymore, but used to be good. Check it out. It may be just what you're looking for.
spugak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Bronzeback
Fry

Thanks Spug, I have not seen that pond. I appreciate any suggestions about lakes/sloughs with a good population of bluegills.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #8
spugak4
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzeback View Post
Thanks Spug, I have not seen that pond. I appreciate any suggestions about lakes/sloughs with a good population of bluegills.
If you do make it there with the kids, let me know how you did. I had some small ponds in my backyard that I kept stocked with bluegills from that pond so the raccoons could fish. And cooked the tiny fillets!
spugak4 is offline   Reply With Quote