Update continues with the Dodge Ram - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Default Update continues with the Dodge Ram

Long M'Fing rant...My Ram Saga continues and I hate it....Really was a lifetime Ram person.

I've owned the following RAM vehicles in my family/lifetime = 72' Ram 95' Ram Gas, 03' Diesel '14 6.4 Hemi < The F'ing worst of them. I love that truck too which is hard for me. Ram/Dodge fan through and through and dealing with this...seriously?! no help from the higher ups....#$%#$%#

Here's a change for ya'll on our current events. For those that have seen my previous posts on my '14 Ram 6.4 3/4 ton long bed....here's another F****** good one....just got back from deer scouting...computer says low pressure on all tires...nope all full....drive from Ukiah area to Eugene...light comes on "oh you have no fuel pull over now....Well I just filled my tank!!!!

Take it to a certain coastal dealership...oh your fuel pump is going out and your brake sensor is bad and we won't get one for 3 plus months again....WOW. the words that would have have came out of my mouth stuck in the middle of nowhere....after going through a new trans, new torque converter, EGR cooler, new wheel sensor...F them. Guess what the fuel pump is on back order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me look reallll hard at a go' dam' Tundra. Warranty for rental covers 1 week...they say 4 months! Thank god I spent 3K on a lifetime warranty....expires in 2097 F'U RAM. They have covered over $10K in parts/labor so far. F! Beyond it.

Thank god I made it out of Ukiah/Desolation...that 72' Dodge would been just fine. They literally had my truck 5 months to get it fixed some 5 months ago!!!!! it has less than 80K miles! I'm done. Thank god for extended coverage...Anyways....Sorry... :/ So F'ing flustered. SORRY! Stuck in a rock and a hard place...

StrawberryMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Default Re: Update continues with the Dodge Ram

Sorry Ya'll....The real S**** part is nobody cares on the corporate side...just got back my check for the rental they said they would cover some 6 months ago. Very Frustrated. :/

Anyways....I Digress....
Old 09-15-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Also add my '15 Ram 1500 to that list....Only problem with that is ball joint failure at 30K miles and head studs.......75K miles as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
chucknormous
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryMTN View Post
Sorry Ya'll....The real S**** part is nobody cares on the corporate side...just got back my check for the rental they said they would cover some 6 months ago. Very Frustrated. :/

Anyways....I Digress....

I would look into lemon laws. Even though it is not a consistent thing it could still qualify due to constant problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chucknormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknormous View Post
I would look into lemon laws. Even though it is not a consistent thing it could still qualify due to constant problems.

I believe it is too late for lemon laws....Oregon is 2 years for brand new. This is a 2014 with less than 80K...I guess don't buy the first version.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it....The saga continues.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
chucknormous
Steelhead

Quote:
I believe it is too late for lemon laws....Oregon is 2 years for brand new. This is a 2014 with less than 80K...I guess don't buy the first version.

I think the two years only apply’s in instances where it’s a single on going issues. I think several return trips with lost of down time could still fall in the realm of federal consumer protections as you are not getting what you payed for.

We had an issue at the dealer I worked at where we took in a 4 or 5 year car that got lemoned.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
IAHawkeye
Coho

Sorry to hear that. My 95 diesel is the most reliable vehicle I've owned. Ugly as hell but every time I think about a new one I remind myself my Uncle had a 12 diesel that was nothing but problems, that and the sticker price.
Too late for a lemon law claim?
IAHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #8
dlove
Steelhead

Totally get your frustration.
But the parts taking so long to get is not specific to ram.
I’m a gm tech. Most things we don’t stock are same way. Trickle effect from corona.
Parts wearhouse don’t have as much stock. Having to source parts from other dealers around the country. Parts on back order. It’s a big cluster.
Things we had to order before we could get in a timely fashion for the most part and be overnighted if needed. That’s not the case currently though.

dlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Took a deep breathe...my apologies....was a lot to consume and think through....ugh.

Will look into the Lemon Law for sure.....Thank you.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:05 PM   #10
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlove View Post
Totally get your frustration.
But the parts taking so long to get is not specific to ram.
I’m a gm tech. Most things we don’t stock are same way. Trickle effect from corona.
Parts wearhouse don’t have as much stock. Having to source parts from other dealers around the country. Parts on back order. It’s a big cluster.
Things we had to order before we could get in a timely fashion for the most part and be overnighted if needed. That’s not the case currently though.

Thank you I agree and appreciate your feedback....I get it working for DSU peterbilt for some time....it happens...but the breakdowns...Yeah. Thank you.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #11
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot
Tuna!

When you take it to the dealers, it would be real unfortunate if your foot slipped off the brake. Then in a panic you accidentally hit the gas and drove right through the glass on to the showroom floor. That would be terrible. But accidents happen all the time.

Car troubles suck.
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #12
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:

With RAM don't you have to speak Italian to get service? And you're right about the first model - got stung on a new Olds Quad 4. Couldn't keep a head gasket in them. It might be time to get shed of that truck. Eat the loss and be rewarded with peace of mind. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
With RAM don't you have to speak Italian to get service? And you're right about the first model - got stung on a new Olds Quad 4. Couldn't keep a head gasket in them. It might be time to get shed of that truck. Eat the loss and be rewarded with peace of mind. Good luck!
Ha...my feathers are ruffled for sure...never had a prob with our old 90's quad...blue with the gray/metallic underside.

Thinking about keeping her as a farm truck and moving forward...or...swap out completely...Don't want her leaving me stranded far from somewhere I am not able to walk out of...All PEACE OF MIND...at the end of days...

Gosh am I flustered....Always something...
Old 09-16-2020, 03:29 AM   #14
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

My 18 Ram with the little Pentastar Six is a great ride, although every time we have a particularly cool night, my tire pressure gauge goes wonky.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #15
pinhead2
Tuna!

This kind of thing can happen with any vehicle. I've got two stories. My neighbor bought a brand new Ford power stroke and he started having problems with it at a couple of thousand miles--one thing after another. One day, when he took it in, the dealer told him to go pick out another truck and he'd get the paperwork ready. He did.

The brother of one of my friends also bought a new power stroke that was nothing but trouble. The 3rd time he blew a head gasket (under warranty) and had the truck towed in, he walked into the office (he'd bought a couple of vehicles there before) and told the manager he was going to go out and find another truck on the lot, and when he found it he expected to get the amount he still owed on the 'bad' truck as trade-in. Surprisingly, the dealer went for it and he left with a new gasser.
pinhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #16
flatman
King Salmon

when i first bought a toyota the salesmen said oh you want to look under the hood, i said yes, he said it would be the last time you did. 7 toyotas later and maybe close to a million miles and still havent opened the hood on any except to disconnect the battery if going away for a time. not one nickel in repairs.
ive had all kinds of makes but never a dodge and for good reasons. they break and when they break its the expensive stuff that breaks.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #17
jimh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
7 toyotas later and maybe close to a million miles and still havent opened the hood on any except to disconnect the battery if going away for a time.
Not a surprise that you aren’t your car’s mechanic. Most people never look under their truck/car’s hood. Also, typical Toyota owner who also doesn’t know how to use capitalization. Sorry, that’s supposed to be a joke. No offense intended, but I just found it hilarious.

I have friends who like Toyotas. They have no standards. Sorry, another joke.

Seriously though, this is not a good thread for Ram.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #18
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Had a salesman ask if I wanted to look under the hood. I said, why, is the motor missing?
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #19
pinhead2
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
Not a surprise that you aren’t your car’s mechanic. Most people never look under their truck/car’s hood. Also, typical Toyota owner who also doesn’t know how to use capitalization. Sorry, that’s supposed to be a joke. No offense intended, but I just found it hilarious.

The problem with Toyota is that they simply do not have the towing capacity. No matter how you look at it, they are a light duty truck and cannot handle a gooseneck with 7 tons of hay. That is why people own Dodge, Ford and Chevy diesels, despite the faults that each brand has. I limit my loads to 5 tons because I don't want to spring for farm plates, but the caveat still applies.

Last edited by pinhead2; 09-16-2020 at 08:22 PM.
pinhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:31 AM   #20
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Pinhead give a reasonable perspective. Towing right up to a vehicles rated capacity isn't pleasant and probably not safe and certainly not courteous to other drivers. Don't want to be "that guy" with a line of traffic behind you because you can't keep up with the prevailing speed.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #21
47sgs
Tuna!

Quote:
when i first bought a toyota the salesmen said oh you want to look under the hood, i said yes, he said it would be the last time you did. 7 toyotas later and maybe close to a million miles and still havent opened the hood on any except to disconnect the battery if going away for a time. not one nickel in repairs.
ive had all kinds of makes but never a dodge and for good reasons. they break and when they break its the expensive stuff that breaks.
I've had Ram diesels since the mid 90s with minimal problems, and no major expenses. My most recent one, 6 years old and 95K miles, has only had a fuel filter sensor replaced at $150, and nothing else other than oil changes. It's hard to make generalized statements about a model you haven't owned. And while I've had a Toyota pickup, it won't pull my boat with a camper on, nor will it pull our travel trailer safely.
47sgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #22
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

It's funny...They know me and my number so well that they won't answer when I call...but if I block my number and call right after they answer first ring, every time...

Not dealing with the dealership anymore...I have a case opened with Dodge.

Sorry for the first post rant...might have had a couple beers and just done with it. So glad I bought the lifetime warranty...it's cost them over $10K in parts/labor. I paid $3K for the warranty up front.

Tempted to buy that RAM TRX though lol.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #23
Lucky Guy
King Salmon

Quote:

Yeah, the joke's on us fools alright, those Toyota 4.7's really suck. Only 308K miles and nothing but 2 timing belts, shocks, wheel bearings and brakes, towing a 21' travel trailer some of that time. No head gaskets, no stretched studs, no lift pump, no $5k tranny replacement, no front end falling apart at 30-60K, no $4k injector bill, no flashing lights in the dashboard, no def tank, etc.

The big three are lucky Toyota decided not to get into the US diesel pick-up market, consumers not so much.
Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #24
jimh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Guy View Post
The big three are lucky Toyota decided not to get into the US diesel pick-up market, consumers not so much.
You seem to be comparing diesels with gasoline engines which is surprising since you are Toyota owner who knows how to use capitalization. You may not know it, but lots of gasoline engines make it to 308K miles if you do all maintenance as designed.

I’d argue that most people who own the big three don’t follow maintenance schedules, so you are really comparing people who do regular maintenance vs people who don’t ... not Toyota vs the big three.

There is probably a Toyota business reason that they aren’t producing 3/4 ton and above trucks.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #25
flatman
King Salmon

i cAn usE caPs but as long as you can understand and read clearly a post that is all that matters.

i know lots of dodge guys that have had very little trouble. most of those trade in before 100,000 miles. but they tow well. just when they have problems it is expensive ones.

i do have a super duty for big payloads. no problems with it. 20 years old.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #26
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
You seem to be comparing diesels with gasoline engines which is surprising since you are Toyota owner who knows how to use capitalization. You may not know it, but lots of gasoline engines make it to 308K miles if you do all maintenance as designed.

I’d argue that most people who own the big three don’t follow maintenance schedules, so you are really comparing people who do regular maintenance vs people who don’t ... not Toyota vs the big three.

There is probably a Toyota business reason that they aren’t producing 3/4 ton and above trucks.
I had a first gen I changed the oil in 4 times in 150k miles, sold it with 250 on it and it's still running.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Call Sign: Leadbetter
willametteriveroutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #27
Lucky Guy
King Salmon

Quote:
You may not know it, but lots of gasoline engines make it to 308K miles if you do all maintenance as designed.

Not been my experience with V8's with some towing along the way, and remember, with no repairs. And let's not forget those trannies, rear ends, front ends, dashes, etc. too.

So what all rigs are you referring to in particular?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #28
jimh
King Salmon

Quote:
So what all rigs are you referring to in particular?
It’s not that hard just google it. Of course, any truck with really high miles will have to have a lot of highway miles. Otherwise, it would take too many years to get to high mileage.

My trucks would never make it that long with me as owner. I don’t drive that much any more although I put 160K miles on a S10 v6 in 4 years. I put 48K on a F350 in 8 years. My ‘07 Mustang has 40K on it. My ‘06 Explorer which I bought used has 200K on it. It had 110K on it when I bought it. Yeah, I know they aren’t supposed to make it that long and yet it has. My brother’s ‘02 Suburban has 200K on it as well. My old mechanic (I moved) did work for limousines and said those Ford 4.6 v8s regularly made 400K to 600K miles.

At the end of the day though, buy what makes you happy. I don’t personally like any trucks other than Fords even when they are new, so I wouldn’t really care if a Toyota lasted longer because I’d never buy one. I have tried Chevy’s, but I simply don’t like them after driving them a while. I’ve never liked Toyota trucks or Nissans.

You can also find plenty of issues with Tundras if you look. Take this website for instance that mentions which years are the worst. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-wor...uld-never-buy/

YMMV.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #29
Lucky Guy
King Salmon

Quote:
It’s not that hard just google it.

You got nothin' eh? Typical.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #30
jimh
King Salmon

Quote:
You got nothin' eh? Typical.
If you are too lazy to google, you probably don’t really care, right?

Seriously though, who knows if what you posted is true or not ...

Meanwhile, as noted, there are lots of examples if you bother to google including the link I included that said which Tundra years were the worst. Why do you think they bother to list which years are the worst if they are all great?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:21 AM   #31
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

If a tundra had 3/4 ton capabilities...I think I would be sold.

I usually get rid of my trucks around 100K-125K...Never had a problem until this new generation...Ball joint went out on my 2015 at 38k miles...then the head studs around 60K.

Wish I would have kept my 03' Diesel...only had to replace the fuel pump at 100K...

Old 09-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #32
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
If you are too lazy to google, you probably don’t really care, right?

Seriously though, who knows if what you posted is true or not ...

Meanwhile, as noted, there are lots of examples if you bother to google including the link I included that said which Tundra years were the worst. Why do you think they bother to list which years are the worst if they are all great?
Ota must be Japanese for 'truck'. Toy Ota.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #33
SHJunky
Tuna!

Quote:

Ha! I researched Oregon lemon laws because of my last Dodge truck.....

They are so strict they are basically worthless.

All you can do is bite the bullet and get rid of it. I was like you and had great luck with 2 Dodges in a row but O M G the last one was a total ***.

Went GMC and I've never looked back.
SHJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #34
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHJunky View Post

All you can do is bite the bullet and get rid of it. I was like you and had great luck with 2 Dodges in a row but O M G the last one was a total ***.

Was the new one a Fiat by another name?
Old 09-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #35
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHJunky View Post

I've looked at GMC...had a discount with DSU...so bought a new one some years back...brakes completely failed one day...scary moment...lemon. Also, they don't seem to have that great of ground clearance comparatively? Maybe I am wrong...just seems that way.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:47 PM   #36
Sneaker
Tuna!

PM your address...and leave the keys in it tomorrow night...
Old 09-19-2020, 02:03 AM   #37
1pump
King Salmon

Lifelong Ford dude here. Never had a diesel, though. Probably never will, now that Ford is getting serious about gas engines again.

My current rig is an '04 F250 gasser. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. 11 years and 150K miles, and the only non-routine problem was the cruise control. Of course the original supplier of Ford's cruise servos is out of business, so they can't be had new. It was a crazy intermittent failure, and it took me over a year to finally nail the problem down. I picked up a used servo for $25 and robbed a couple parts off of it, and I'm cruising again.
Other than that, just the usual crap Ford ball joints and crap Ford brakes, but I expected those problems.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:12 AM   #38
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:

Their trucks are not money makers but I like the truck. Its old technology for sure but it works. That's likely the reason Toyota doesn't sell a lot of units or perhaps they just don't produce them in numbers. Like my neighbor said of his new Tundra love the truck hate the fuel numbers.
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #39
socket985
Tuna!

Quote:
If a tundra had 3/4 ton capabilities...I think I would be sold.

I usually get rid of my trucks around 100K-125K...Never had a problem until this new generation...Ball joint went out on my 2015 at 38k miles...then the head studs around 60K.

Wish I would have kept my 03' Diesel...only had to replace the fuel pump at 100K...

If you look at towing capacity. Today's 1/2 ton trucks will pull what 3/4 ton diesels were rated for, not too long ago. (Ok maybe a few decades ago). If you don't need actual payload. There's no reason why a tundra won't work. It will be my next truck as my boat only weighs 5K lbs.

The gas savings of my diesel I've had for 8 years, went out the door, after the first turbo and full front end rebuild that happened after the warranty expired.

We just had a Tundra in my shop, 333K miles and the water pump failed. Looking at that engine, you would have no idea it had that many miles on it. It ran and sounded that good.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #40
socket985
Tuna!

Quote:

The proper maintenance schedule is key. where I have my shop. The number 1 issue is people don't realize how far they drive and they don't include actual engine hours when calculating oil changes.

An example is, from Federal Way WA to Bellevue. it is maybe 20 miles one way. Pre Covid, it would take at times up to 90 minutes to go this distance. They go 3K miles between oil changes is not accurate. Commercial customers who idle there engines, don't usually include this metric.

The actual hours on the oil is way higher. It is the #1 issue we see with Ford Gas Engines that fail. Go to full synthetic with your ford gas engine, change it at 200 hours or 5K miles, or 3k miles with semi-synthetic. Adopt this, hours or miles metric, whichever comes first, and your engine failure issues will significantly drop.

The same was true for the 6.0 ford diesel that everyone bashed upon. They simply need clean oil and pro active maintenance. It didn't solve every issue, but it did help a lot

Last edited by socket985; 09-20-2020 at 07:31 AM.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #41
Lucky Guy
King Salmon

Here's their 4.5l V8 Turbo diesel Toyota has so far not brought over, big three should be very grateful.
  • Designation: 1VD-FTV
  • Maximum power: Single turbo: 151 kW (202 hp; 205 PS) @ 3400 rpm;[2] Twin turbo: 200 kW (268 hp; 272 PS) at 3400 rpm[3]
  • Maximum torque: Single turbo: 430 N⋅m (317 lb⋅ft) @ 1200-3200 rpm;[2] Twin turbo: 650 N⋅m (479 lb⋅ft) @ 1600-2600 rpm[3]
  • Fuel Consumption (ADR81/02 combined): Single turbo: 11.9 l/100 km (23.7 mpg‑imp; 19.8 mpg‑US);[2] Twin turbo: 10.3 l/100 km (27.4 mpg‑imp; 22.8 mpg‑US)[3]

How many of those 3/4T Tundra's could they sell? New Tundra in 2022, maybe we'll see it then?
Old 09-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #42
jimh
King Salmon

Those Toyota diesel engine specs seem to be about what the Ford/Chevy/Ram 1/2 diesels have and about half what the 3/4 ton diesels have. I guess that’s the reason Toyota doesn’t build a 3/4 ton.

For reference. He’s the info on the Ford 1/2 tons. The diesel has 250 HP and 440 ft lb of torque. https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...-TechSpecs.pdf

The 3/4 has 475 HP and 1050 ft lb of torque. https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/features/power/
Old 09-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #43
Beedub
Steelhead

Yikes. I had a Ram with a Cummins briefly. I loved towing with it, but it had problem after problem. I replaced it with a Tundra and couldn't be happier. I do miss the way that thing drove and towed though.

Beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #44
SVG
Coho

I bought a 12V Cummins that came with a Dodge. Love the Cummins, the Dodge part not so much.
SVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #45
chucknormous
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVG View Post
I bought a 12V Cummins that came with a Dodge. Love the Cummins, the Dodge part not so much.

Hahah. This is the same as saying I bought a ford that came with a 6.0. Out the Cummins in the ford and the world will be right again.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #46
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Quote:
Hahah. This is the same as saying I bought a ford that came with a 6.0. Out the Cummins in the ford and the world will be right again.

Fummins! Lol...

Part of me wonders if I should really switch from a life long brand due to this one truck and partial problems of my 2015...It all boils down to customer service/experience and how I have been treated, honestly. Just seems like corp. or dealership doesn't care....Nobody can get an answer from dealership...rental service can't get a P.O which means I have to submit for reimbursement some $700 for my rental car for the week I used it to corp...which will take months to get back.

I think a new Tundra TRD would do everything I need...haul my 20ft alum. boat and my smaller Kubota tractor if I need to tow it somewhere. On top of that, no mechanical problems?!?!?!
Old 09-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #47
flatman
King Salmon

one thing to consider is that all the dealerships nowadays the service dept. gets a commission if they sell something. so they cant be trusted to tell you the truth about needed repairs. ive been told i had two oil leaks needed fixing and it would cost 4000. yet on my cement floor i see no drops ever.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #48
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Fummins! Lol...

Part of me wonders if I should really switch from a life long brand due to this one truck and partial problems of my 2015...It all boils down to customer service/experience and how I have been treated, honestly. Just seems like corp. or dealership doesn't care....Nobody can get an answer from dealership...rental service can't get a P.O which means I have to submit for reimbursement some $700 for my rental car for the week I used it to corp...which will take months to get back.

I think a new Tundra TRD would do everything I need...haul my 20ft alum. boat and my smaller Kubota tractor if I need to tow it somewhere. On top of that, no mechanical problems?!?!?!
How do you pronounce Toyota TRD? I've seen them on the road.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #49
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
How do you pronounce Toyota TRD? I've seen them on the road.
Toyota Tundra TRD (Toyota Racing Development) Pro
Old 09-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #50
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

...that 2021 RAM TRX should be released end of this year...702HP 650 ft. lb torque...They have a T-Rex eating a Raptor under the hood...just like Jurassic Park. 1/4 mile in 4.5 sec. Solid axle Dana 60 rear (Very appealing). Apparently also a lighter and much stronger frame. They want like $71K starting though....ew.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #51
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
...They want like $71K starting though....ew.
Cheap AND awesome rarely go together

Old 09-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #52
StrawberryMTN
Chromer

What is the saying....Cheap, Reliable, or Fast....You can only pick two...lol
Old 09-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #53
skyhammer
Steelhead

Quote:
Those Toyota diesel engine specs seem to be about what the Ford/Chevy/Ram 1/2 diesels have and about half what the 3/4 ton diesels have. I guess that’s the reason Toyota doesn’t build a 3/4 ton.

For reference. He’s the info on the Ford 1/2 tons. The diesel has 250 HP and 440 ft lb of torque. https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...-TechSpecs.pdf

The 3/4 has 475 HP and 1050 ft lb of torque. https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/features/power/

2010, I went to see a Toyota/Yanmar 8LV diesel engine in a boat built by Precision Weld boats. The engine weighed 970lbs, 800lbs torque a 2800 RPM and 370 HP.
One smaller boat(22') had a single engine and a larger boat had twins.
skyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #54
NorthPlainsDrifter
Chromer

Quote:
one thing to consider is that all the dealerships nowadays the service dept. gets a commission if they sell something. so they cant be trusted to tell you the truth about needed repairs. ive been told i had two oil leaks needed fixing and it would cost 4000. yet on my cement floor i see no drops ever.
Yep, while I was having my oil changed, the service manager told me that my air cleaner needed replacing and should we just go ahead and do it, I said thats strange, it's a K&N and there are 2 stickers in red stating so, he said ok and walked away. Lol
NorthPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #55
chucknormous
Steelhead

Quote:
...that 2021 RAM TRX should be released end of this year...702HP 650 ft. lb torque...They have a T-Rex eating a Raptor under the hood...just like Jurassic Park. 1/4 mile in 4.5 sec. Solid axle Dana 60 rear (Very appealing). Apparently also a lighter and much stronger frame. They want like $71K starting though....ew.

I haven’t driven the trx but I have driven the rebel and you could not pay me to own a new ram truck. All 5 that I have driven, Avis likes to rent them, have been terrible. I even had one as the first renter. 75 mph you can actually feel the doors flexing away from the cab. Not a good feeling.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #56
Clackriverrat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhammer View Post
2010, I went to see a Toyota/Yanmar 8LV diesel engine in a boat built by Precision Weld boats. The engine weighed 970lbs, 800lbs torque a 2800 RPM and 370 HP.
One smaller boat(22') had a single engine and a larger boat had twins.
I don't think Toyota builds that engine. I think it may be all Yanmar. This is all I could find on Toyota / Yanmar. https://www.yanmar.com/global/news/2016/03/01/8464.html
Clackriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #57
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Yanmar doesn't build everything. One of their diesel marine engines is BMW, same motor as my wife's X5.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #58
Clackriverrat
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Yanmar doesn't build everything. One of their diesel marine engines is BMW, same motor as my wife's X5.
That is true. But I wasn't able to find anything on the 8LV being a Toyota. Also the small BMW Yanmar did not make a very good Marine Engine. Lots of problems in the Jet Boats. Not sure who's fault it was but I do know that I would not buy any boat that has one. I believe it was called the 6BY.
Clackriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #59
jimh
King Salmon

It doesn’t really matter because they don’t even have their small diesel in the US, and that would be far easier than building a 3/4 or 1 ton from scratch.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #60
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Clack: Correct 6BY. It does rev pretty high for a diesel. I think red line in wife's car is a little over 4500.

A bit odd but you go outside the US (NZ) and most small trucks have diesels including Toyota and Ford Ranger. Probably different pollution standards.