Newport Tuna - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 09-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
Outsideguy36
Coho

Ran for tuna today. Left the dock at 4 am, set a tac to 45 15 n 125 05. Hit 60 degree water at 45 08 n 124 37, decided to throw in the gear at about 6:45. 2 fish in the boat at 7 am. Trolled that area most the day and finished plugged by 2:30. Mexican flag on the rods and pink/white on the hand lines. Got one on a yozuri speed bait. We set a course for home to cook lunch and picked up 3 more fish while I was clearing the gear. Last fish was 35 miles from home. They are a lot closer than I expected them to be. Saw lots of jumpers and lots of birds. Awesome day, my 8 &10 year old daughters and wife love tuna fishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7210EF3B-5B88-4A00-9D8D-981D4856280C_1599368235856.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	753497   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB717C71-7E11-4878-9C3B-2C45ECB4304E_1599368254247.jpg
Views:	1015
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	753499   Click image for larger version

Name:	F8BB6C49-CD27-48D9-950A-57301EECE351_1599368284006.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	753501   Click image for larger version

Name:	92521CCB-C9A3-4B79-95D7-45330908D140_1599368299880.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	753503  

Last edited by Outsideguy36; 09-06-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Outsideguy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
wildwinds
Tuna!

Default Re: Newport Tuna

Atta Boy Nate
wildwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:30 AM   #3
Sun Dog
Sturgeon

Wow Nice! Way to get the kids out fishing! Looks like Sun Dog gonna run for Tuna on Friday, thanks for the report.

- 24' NR Sea Hawk Hard Top
Sun Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2020, 05:38 AM   #4
Foreel
Tuna!

Great job Dad.. good grade of fish and a family affair..congrats. smiles say everything.
Foreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #5
Simon Peter
Tuna!

Cherish those precious memories! Thanks for the encouragement on the tuna! Maybe we can make up for lost days!

AWESOME!!!

25' Defiance - "JIGSTOP"
Simon Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Got my salmon fix ready for some tuna. Thanks for the report.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
Outsideguy36
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Dog View Post
Wow Nice! Way to get the kids out fishing! Looks like Sun Dog gonna run for Tuna on Friday, thanks for the report.
Thanks Ron, it was an awesome day. Followed the south wind out for a smooth rife out. Ocean laid flat around noon, then had a 32 nt ride home. Warm, sunny, and left biting fish.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #8
dozer
Cutthroat

How many is plugged for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
Timber Tech
Sturgeon

Nice work Nate!
Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #10
Dave G
King Lingcod

Outstanding!!!

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #11
newportfisher
Tuna!

Nate, and others that leave the dock in the dark, do you have a big light on the bow to illuminate the water or do you just putt along slowly and keep and eye out? I'm always worried about crab gear.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #12
Outsideguy36
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportfisher View Post
Nate, and others that leave the dock in the dark, do you have a big light on the bow to illuminate the water or do you just putt along slowly and keep and eye out? I'm always worried about crab gear.
I have 2 48” light bars plus remote spot lights. It’s still hard to see so I go slow, 12-15 nts in the dark.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #13
Outsideguy36
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
How many is plugged for you?

Plugged for me is out of ice/room. Normally it’s 40-50 fish. We got 27 the other day that absolutely packed my fish hold. Smallest fish was 18 gutted and bled. Largest was 37 Gutted and bled. All but 2 fish were over 21 lbs gutted and bled. 230 lbs of tuna loans is the finished product today. For just me and my family that’s plenty. We did not try a bait/jog stop and drove away from biting fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #14
geterdone
Chromer

I do not use any lights when running in the dark, just run dark and acclimate my eyes. Radar helps along with going slow. It is nice to be 15 to 20 miles offshore when the sun rises.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2020, 07:30 PM   #15
Reel Creel
Tuna!

Thumbs up Re: Newport Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsideguy36 View Post
Ran for tuna today. Left the dock at 4 am, set a tac to 45 15 n 125 05. Hit 60 degree water at 45 08 n 124 37, decided to throw in the gear at about 6:45. 2 fish in the boat at 7 am. Trolled that area most the day and finished plugged by 2:30. Mexican flag on the rods and pink/white on the hand lines. Got one on a yozuri speed bait. We set a course for home to cook lunch and picked up 3 more fish while I was clearing the gear. Last fish was 35 miles from home. They are a lot closer than I expected them to be. Saw lots of jumpers and lots of birds. Awesome day, my 8 &10 year old daughters and wife love tuna fishing.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #16
grim
Tuna!

Thanks for posting. It helps everyone going next - including me this coming Friday or Saturday (I'm hoping).
grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #17
Puffin
Sturgeon

Hey Don looks like I’ll be there too probably keep in touch
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #18
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Love to see girls that age out fishing. Those memories will last them a lifetime.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #19
Outsideguy36
Coho

I’m hoping to be back down and run Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday the 14,15,16 of the month. Fingers crossed for good weather.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #20
Dave G
King Lingcod

Getting a crew for a Saturday run.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #21
Bobber Downey Jr.
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
Getting a crew for a Saturday run.
It's looking pretty tasty. I'll be out there, likely out of Newport along with 89749873 of our closest friends from the look of it

interested to see where the water moves around with this week's winds
Bobber Downey Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #22
RJA
Steelhead

Pending a commitment from my crew I’ll be running fri and sat out of np or possibly depot.
RJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #23
Outsideguy36
Coho

Go get em! I have commitments this weekend so I hope you all get into them!
Old 09-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #24
Rymart
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportfisher View Post
Whilst running in the dark, hitting crab gear is the least of our worries. There are things much scarier (and more difficult to see) that one could hit... Things that probably don't show up on radar. For example; logs, tree stumps, tsunami debris, tow cables between barges and tugs, abandoned drifting commercial nets, sea lions, sun fish, sharks, whales, I could go on... We've hit at least three of the things mentioned above, all during day light hours, all at speeds above 15 knots . Varying outcomes, but never stranded or requiring a tow (knock on wood)... Damage anywhere from requiring a replacement 'pair of shorts' to a broken trim tab and a small ding in our prop (big proponent of using high quality stainless steel props offshore). Others we know haven't been as fortunate, specifically those with duo-prop outdrives or dual inboard counter-rotating straight shafts (the floating/partially submerged commercial net hit with counter-rotating props was especially damaging)

Over the last 11 years we've hit crab gear a few times in the dark at varying speeds (anywhere from idle to ), both sport and commercial gear. Results were anywhere from 'thump-deflect-what-was-that' to the rope/buoys sliding up the skeg, wrapping around the lower unit, and dragging the trap for a bit as we tried to figure out why we were bogging down & struggling to stay on plane . In the cases of catching/dragging the crab gear, we stopped, shut down, raised the outboard, saw what the issued was as the rope/buoys slid out from between the transom and lower unit, and slipped back into the water... No damage & we were back on our way every time... Whenever we checked, the crab pot still appeared to be attached, including the commercial one we drug for a ways the first time.

Maybe we're lucky, or it's just an outboard thing, but we've never had the rope get wrapped up in the prop or cause any damage.

As far as running lights are concerned, we don't have a permanently mounted light bar, but have tried various spot lights and remote spot lights. So far in every case the reflected light and glare has made the situation worse instead of better. Maybe we're just too low to the water with the light source and need an elevated LED light bar? For now in-the-dark we run with nav lights only, radar & GPS on (overlay), all hands on deck, heads up, eyes up. Captain focuses on the instruments, crew is on look out forward first, and then everywhere else. Main concern is avoiding moving and stationary objects (things that are 100% avoidable). Risk of hitting submerged/partially submerged objects is always there, dark or not.

Last edited by Rymart; 09-09-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Rymart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #25
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

I have a hand held flir, which is cool as long as there is no fog. Timber techs solid mount flir with a monitor is really cool.

If you have never looked thru a flir, it looks like twilight, buoys show up, you can see a body heat signature at 1200 yards, a boat at tide that....
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #26
LuckyKAST
Coho

Running at night is on my list before season is over. After braving the friday/Saturday smog from Newport, I figure how bad could it be. I have always been worried about bar crossings at night and hitting something. I think Rymart’s post put some of those fears into perspective.

Wak’m, I may look into the flir thing over the winter. Is the handheld worth it, I.e. would you buy it again? What model did you get? I Am wondering is it worth it for the higher res, higher refresh rate versions vs the basic ones. I’m probably not able to keep up with the Toys on the red catamaran but a handheld could be useful beyond just the boat.

Thanks!
LuckyKAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:18 AM   #27
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

I would buy it again, and I am not sure the model because the neighbor borrowed it the other day. He has something killing his chickens.

They have come down in price, I paid 3200$ for it and I saw one advertised for now 2600$.

If I only used it on the boat, I am not sure I would, but I use it on the farm all the time. If I hear some one up where they shouldn’t be, or animals acting up.

One time the elderly lady up the road called and said someone was in the mailboxes....(which is a problem here). They never had a clue, I watched them wondering around, acting weird till they left this area and went into j-Ville.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #28
LuckyKAST
Coho

That sold it for me. Will look for one this winter. Thanks!
LuckyKAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #29
NoSecrets
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyKAST View Post
Running at night is on my list before season is over. After braving the friday/Saturday smog from Newport, I figure how bad could it be. I have always been worried about bar crossings at night and hitting something. I think Rymart’s post put some of those fears into perspective.

Wak’m, I may look into the flir thing over the winter. Is the handheld worth it, I.e. would you buy it again? What model did you get? I Am wondering is it worth it for the higher res, higher refresh rate versions vs the basic ones. I’m probably not able to keep up with the Toys on the red catamaran but a handheld could be useful beyond just the boat.

Thanks!
I used a Flir whenI was running hounds. Sometimes I couldn't find them in the trees and that Flir took all the guess out. You are right about the price. I would not suggest buying the cheaper one. They are incredible.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck guys and be safe.
NoSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #30
4 REEL
Ifish Nate

Barnes has a FLIR mounted to Hard Core. He has a great shorty running out on his Facebook recently. Impressive.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:18 PM   #31
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

I saw an interview this week of the Flir CEO. He said they now had hand held units in the half boat buck range. Thought that was really cheap considering the technology.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:55 PM   #32
Macgyver
Steelhead

I was a pioneering home inspector in the Portland area over 15 years ago to start using Infrared as apart of the process for building diagnostics, now it's a specialty. The thermal resolution is the same as any other camera, better resolution the more defined the image. Now days most of the imagers have the capability to overlap a visible image with an infrared image to make what you're looking at more apparent. While a low resolution imager may not be the best option for building diagnostic the lower end units with built in overlay might be OK for spotting temperature differences on the water, that's all it does it show the surface temperatures in a visible image. My latest IR camera was just over 14 boat bucks, and I've had many over the years, none of which I will take anywhere near saltwater though.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #33
Fishplay
Sturgeon

You can buy an attachment camera for your smartphone for 200.00. No idea if its useful though.

Member #472

2484 Sea Raider
Fishplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #34
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

The difference between night vision and inferred is as night and day. Someone hiding in the brushes with night vision and they disappear, but with a flir they glow like a light bulb.

I think it’s cool when you can walk along and look back and see your foot prints, pretty amazing.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #35
Fishplay
Sturgeon

Flir thermal imaging for Iphone. Follow the link and the top return. 200.00 for Gen 3. The new Pro is 300.00

Obviously this wont replace radar or work nearly as well as an external mounted Flir system but its 1/10 the cost.

I wonder how well it would work through the windshield?

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrW...e1hHzdC2J6fcI-

Member #472

2484 Sea Raider
Fishplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:15 AM   #36
Macgyver
Steelhead

"I wonder how well it would work through the windshield?"

It won't. You'll be seeing your own reflection or anything else in the cabin radiating heat off the windshield, you'll be looking at a mirror. The inexpensive cameras that incorporate a visible light image with the IR image it'll appear you can see through the windshield (if not dark out) but the IR component will not.

However you can put your camera in a black plastic bag to shield it from the weather and the IR component will work, but the visible light overlay will not, you'll instantly realize how poor the thermal resolution is now that you can't make out what you're looking at.

Last edited by Macgyver; 09-19-2020 at 03:25 AM.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote