Has anyone in Oregon been checked for carrying live crab or having water in the boat - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 01-25-2020, 12:11 AM   #1
Dave G
King Lingcod

Default Has anyone in Oregon been checked for carrying live crab or having water in the boat

We are almost done with January and the weather hasn't been that great, but I wonder if anyone has had a run in regarding the new laws of transporting live crab and water in their hold yet. Stupid laws that don't make too much sense. I wonder if South Beach can be a sanctuary city regarding these laws.

Dave G is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 12:16 AM   #2
KingSlew
King Salmon

Default Re: Has anyone in Oregon been checked for carrying live crab or having water in their

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
We are almost done with January and the weather hasn't been that great, but I wonder if anyone has had a run in regarding the new laws of transporting live crab and water in their hold yet. Stupid laws that don't make too much sense. I wonder if South Beach can be a sanctuary city regarding these laws.
What page is that on Dave???
Old 01-25-2020, 12:51 AM   #3
Dave G
King Lingcod

Default Re: Has anyone in Oregon been checked for carrying live crab or having water in their

I can’t find on the cell phone but I thought I saw something that you can not transport live crab nor have water in your boat when you are on the road.

Dave G is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 02:00 AM   #4
wildcard123
Cutthroat

I saw where it was required to have your drain plug removed while transporting didn't see anything about crabs
wildcard123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #5
Captain Kirk
Chromer

• Clean all aquatic plants, animals and mud from your boat, motor or trailer and discard in the trash. Rinse, scrub or pressure wash, as appropriate away from storm drains, ditches or waterways. Lawns, gravel pads, or self-serve car washes are best.
  • Drain your motor, live well, bilge and internal compartments on land before leaving the waterbody. For paddle boats, drain by inverting or tilting the craft, opening compartments and removing seats if necessary. Rinse or flush under flooring, at inflation chamber joints or other areas that can trap mud and debris.
  • Dry your boat between uses if possible. Leave compartments open and sponge out standing water. Find a place that will allow the anchor line to dry.
Also, empty your bait bucket on land before leaving the waterbody. Never release live bait into a waterbody, or release aquatic animals from one waterbody into another.

From: https://www.oregoninvasivespeciescou...lean-drain-dry
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
Afb
Steelhead

Page 18 left column #25 Live fish or live eggs may not be transported overland or from one body of water to another.
I didn't see anything that said crab.

Last edited by Afb; 01-25-2020 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Afb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #7
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

Dave I have never been checked. I always do a quick rinse at the boat rinse normally leaving mine plug in (my bilge usually removes all but just a little puddle in the bottom) till I get home and then do a soap and lite bleach water wash on the entire boat with my drain plug removed in my driveway. We haul live crab home if the cleaning stations are busy and cook clean and eat at home.

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #8
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Can transport love crab? Well how do the seafood markets get live crab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
The Pew
Sturgeon

Dave- I believe you are referring to the new pull your plug law. As of January 1st you are required to pull your plug to transport your boat over land. This helps ensure invasive species don’t survive to your next launch.

Some folks have misinterpreted that as having to empty all the water out of their bilge before leaving a launch site. The new law is very simple- pull the plug and your good. It does not require you to do anything else.

A news release from the Marine Board went out that mentioned transporting live fish that was confusing at best. The subsequent communication dropped that part of the message because it wasn’t part of the boating law change and is outside OSMB authority.

ODFW determines the rules around transporting live fish and game so follow their rules and your good.

The Pew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Been a long time since I started plugging the boat in the driveway. Haven't flooded the deck since, but if I can't put the plug in until I'm at the ramp that might change. And Garibaldi in September it's going to be near impossible to find a dock to tie up while you chase down your trailer.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #11
TyBoo
Steelhead

My boat does not even have a plug. There is a PVC valve on the inside of the threaded hole angled up at 45º . It was that way when I bought it 16 years ago and I have seen no reason to change it. Since it is behind a shield inside a below deck fish box used only for storage it would be difficult to get to, and opening it would not drain any water anyway since the auto bilge pump takes car of it. I wonder if some LEO somewhere would make that a problem for me?

Maybe I'll stick one of those thermos style lever plugs in the outside so I can pretend!

Does anyone think that carrying live crab in a cooler from the Warrenton basin to my Warrenton home to clean and cook would get me in trouble if checked? If the wind ever quits blowing I intend to try it, but I if the law is really that stringent I might have to rethink it.

Thanks, and thanks for keeping this discussion so on point and civil. Sometimes debating silly rules of the internet can get folks riled up!
Old 01-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #12
Sneaker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnMorgan View Post

Do love crab cost extra?
Old 01-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #13
JerryM
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post
Do love crab cost extra?
You don’t want love crabs.
JerryM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #14
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
You don’t want love crabs.
Copy that. But 99% of the time I do get crab they go home upside down on a bag of ice. At the house they get backed and boiled. Don't plan on changing that.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #15
Blue fin
Tuna!

Default Re: Has anyone in Oregon been checked for carrying live crab or having water in the b

I get checked every time I fish spring to late fall. I live in Or and fish in Ca so the border has a checkpoint. I also get hassled by the Ca Ag station on the way when the supervisor is on duty. He always warns me about pulling the plug. I drain my boat when I get off the water and put the plug right back in. I have an impaired memory and do that to be safe when I go out next. With the new law I'll have to change and be at risk. Everyone that fishes with me gets reminded to always check the plug before we launch...
Blue fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #16
Fiskiller
Coho

Sure seems like a lot of BS about nothing I pulled my plug at the ramp when I check trailer lights and move on out. I put it in at home when I check the trailer lights to go down the road you get a routine and that's how it .
Fiskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #17
plugcutter41
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnMorgan View Post

I had love crabs once. Not good!!!
plugcutter41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #18
loper
King Salmon

Default Re: Has anyone in Oregon been checked for carrying live crab or having water in the b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue fin View Post
With the new law I'll have to change and be at risk.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #19
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskiller View Post
Sure seems like a lot of BS about nothing I pulled my plug at the ramp when I check trailer lights and move on out. I put it in at home when I check the trailer lights to go down the road you get a routine and that's how it .
They did find Zebra mussels in a bilge at the Ashland(south I5) check station on a boat coming north a year or so back. Believe it was coming from AZ. I have also been read the riot act for having seaweed hanging off my boat trailer at the CA. check station when heading home from Brookings(that harbor gets overloaded with stringy seaweed in late summer - you can't get away from it).
Also having to have your bilge plug removed while traveling. Pull to near top of ramp-pull the plug and let it drain for a minute or so and leave it out.
Jedcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #20
boatman
Tuna!

JUST another [email protected]@@$$#% rule. Went on a 3000 mile trip one way, and returned Checked once in B.C. Their was NO check station opened in WA. Drink the Oregon Brown Kolaid.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:02 AM   #21
adrenaline
King Salmon

Invasive species should not be taken lightly, zebra mussels are a huge concern, as they have invaded the great lakes, & colo rv. sys, we don't need them here. We watched a State Cop follow/chase an Idaho Boat into the cove where we were fishing at Lake Owyhee a few years back, he was giving a ticket for not having a invasive species sticker, seems that was top priority for the trooper.

Last edited by adrenaline; 01-28-2020 at 02:32 PM.
adrenaline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #22
Mark Mc
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
JUST another [email protected]@@$$#% rule. Went on a 3000 mile trip one way, and returned Checked once in B.C. Their was NO check station opened in WA. Drink the Oregon Brown Kolaid.
Are you kidding? You think this is a joke? A "koolaid" moment?

Like Ken says above, invasive species is a serious issue. His zebra mussel example is a disaster.

You ever heard of the tui chub issue at Diamond Lake?

Maybe you should look it up....become educated on this issue.

Or you can spout memes like "koolaid"..... "fake news"

Me? I'm dayum glad Oregon tries to be proactive and protect our waters.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #23
shin09
Steelhead

For those that needs a primer on invasive species (not just aquatic) and the means to inspect and clean this is a really good primer:

https://www.usbr.gov/mussels/prevent...Manual2012.pdf
shin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:02 PM   #24
pony keg
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afb View Post
Page 18 left column #25 Live fish or live eggs may not be transported overland or from one body of water to another.
I didn't see anything that said crab.

There has always been a reg where no one is suppose to transport live fish from one water body to another.
I to have kept crab in fish box until they made it to the new body of water about 230 degrees boiling with a can of beer and some bay leaves in it.

pony keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:29 PM   #25
JeffO
Chromer

My wife's family has a place on Lake Michigan and a very long history there.... trust me, we do not want zebra mussels or any other invasive species in our waters. Lake Michigan is a tale of woe.

We'll grandfather in the smallmouth in the Umpqua.
JeffO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #26
Soulakala
King Salmon

I would think that boats in saltwater use and going back into saltwater use whether its Oregon to Washington or Ilwaco to Newport any invasive species would be the same. I can see this as a freshwater issue but salt -no.