12'3" okuma mooching rod - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
Canzano
Steelhead

Default 12'3" okuma mooching rod

Saw the new 12.3" rod at Fisherman's for $150. This afternoon.... what the benefit of 12' plus? My first thought was surf fishing then thought not enough butt to whip 5 oz on heavy day even though its rated for more. Dont ask how I know. 12' vs 8'6" is I can mend further but at cost of ******* off my neighbor in the hole. Put it back down.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Canzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 01:32 AM   #2
MikeT
Tuna!

Default Re: 12'3" okuma mooching rod

It's a trolling rod. And it's too long.
I had an Okuma 10.5 ft. mooching rod. Very unwieldy when not deployed. I grew to hate it.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:11 AM   #3
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Spacing for fishing multiple rods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 05:22 AM   #4
CKthumper
Sturgeon

My thoughts are that designers and engineers are paid to come up with new ideas, and consumers are willing to try anything to find a better way.

So, they say to use a long rod to widen the spread, but make it soft so the fish doesn't feel as much resistance when it grabs the bait.

Then hang 20 oz of lead on it... The rod is fully bent before the fish bites, and the tip of a 12' rod is only a foot further out than the tip of an 8' rod.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #5
DogZilla15
King Salmon

What CK said. Anything new sells like hotcakes. If it were stiff enough, it might work but that’s unlikely. Probably too soft to have any advantage over a shorter rod.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #6
Chukarhead
Chromer

Canadian-syle mooching doesn't call for 20oz of lead. It's a much slower, softer technique overall, and is usually used on actively feeding saltwater salmon. Longer, softer rods work the mooched bait more smoothly, and provide a lot of cushion when you're fighting fish on a single-action reel.

That rod might work for Buoy 10, but it sure isn't designed for it.
Chukarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #7
onstep
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKthumper View Post
My thoughts are that designers and engineers are paid to come up with new ideas, and consumers are willing to try anything to find a better way.

So, they say to use a long rod to widen the spread, but make it soft so the fish doesn't feel as much resistance when it grabs the bait.

Then hang 20 oz of lead on it... The rod is fully bent before the fish bites, and the tip of a 12' rod is only a foot further out than the tip of an 8' rod.
More like GL has made the 12'3" 1474 SAMR since 2006 and it was time copy that rod as well.
onstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Yea, 20 ounces is a lot to hang off any of today’s style rods. I’ve got ‘em but if conditions say 20, I’m not fishing there.

Remember folks, how much lead we use had a lot to do with the line. I run a 30 lb. top shot over 50 which goes through the water better than straight 65 which is what most use. When others are using 16, I’m fishing 12. This doesn’t mean a whole lot if everyone is happy with their setup the way it is.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Default 12'3" okuma mooching rod

Everything is a trade-off, boys.

The impetus for a 12-footer is a better spread for the bow rods and reduced tangles.

As two other posters have pointed out, without enough meat thru the middle, the 12+ ft lever just collapses under the load of a 16- or 20-oz cannonball.

The Loomis stick was WAY soft from the get-go. I remember putting a pound of lead on one at Outdoor Emporium (sales clerk thought I was nuts) and the rod folded into the corks. EPIC fail.... it actually produced LESS effective spread than the veteran warhorse in the lineup, the 1265!

Lami finally got the "meat" part of the equation right with their XCC in the 12.5 footer. The siderigger wingspan can't be beat... even with 20-24 oz of lead! But it comes at a price.

The tradeoff is that I only have 3 guys on my exhaustive crew list capable of effectively fighting a decent fish on this stick. Because of the tremendous torque advantage to the fish, a five pounder feels like a 20 pounder to the avg Joe.

The extra length also means having to adapt at the time of the netshot. I always preach "DON'T BACK UP", esp for noobs, women and children. This stick almost DEMANDS that the rodman backs up at the final critical moment of the netshot.... either that or move forward to at least midship BEFORE attempting to lead the fish to the net.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Good Stuff Francis. Overcoming the weight of the lead while playing fish can become a real concern. It’s all about how the drag is set, not how the rod flexes. Forget the tip section when playing fish, use the butt by keeping the rod low. My 1064’s are bent down to the handle with the tip in the water when me and the fish are pulling hard.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #11
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Yea, 20 ounces is a lot to hang off any of today’s style rods. I’ve got ‘em but if conditions say 20, I’m not fishing there.

Remember folks, how much lead we use had a lot to do with the line. I run a 30 lb. top shot over 50 which goes through the water better than straight 65 which is what most use. When others are using 16, I’m fishing 12. This doesn’t mean a whole lot if everyone is happy with their setup the way it is.
Kind of funny how folks adapt... or don't.

When f4b first started fishing with me, 8 oz seemed excessive while 12 oz of lead seemed virtually insurmountable.

Fast forward 8 years and he feels nekkid with anything less than a pound hanging off his rod.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #12
Starfish
King Salmon

I actually kind of like the things. They’re a pretty close copy of the Loomis 1474 and have almost identical action. I sure wouldn’t pay $150 for them but when they’re on sale for half price they’re a decent value. I like running superbaits with them, they really let the flasher work.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #13
Finsalong
Tuna!

Talking Re: 12'3" okuma mooching rod

i see a guy overboard in the near future, ill bring the whiskey
Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 AM   #14
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Correcto Francis. I’m one of the slow ones. I’ve got a 1066 for when the heavy metal comes out and it does. An interesting perspective..... Like I said, I’m running 50 main and 30 topshot. When I have folks in the front of the boat running straight 65 and 16 ounces and my rod out the back with 12 ounces, my bait is deeper and line angle steeper than the front rod. Light lead works if the outfit is set up for it.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #15
Swifty27
Ifish Nate

12'3" with 10 oz puts a great action on a pro-troll. A friend brings one on my boat, it's always a top producer (and a pain to store).
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
Swifty27 is offline   Reply With Quote