CR Marine Area #1 Reports - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 07-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #61
saltaddict
Chromer

Default Re: CR Marine Area #1 Reports

Good fishing today south of the CR buoy. 4 rods went through 40 herring, for 8 keepers. Also caught 28 crab behind the south jetty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #62
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltaddict View Post
Good fishing today south of the CR buoy. 4 rods went through 40 herring, for 8 keepers. Also caught 28 crab behind the south jetty.

Great report. We stayed in for reason of no fuel, tide had boat high and stuck plus grandkids coming.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #63
Big Game Fishing

Quote:

Hmm, this seems to confirm that a friend had his pots picked today in the same area. Watch your crab gear out there, people can't help themselves.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #64
Cachalot
Steelhead

Started out on 7/4 in about 100' off North Head in a very faint rip as it moved north. Dragged the anchovies around for nearly two hours before taking on 3 silvers. Picked up and ran out to where a cloud of birds was working in about 180'. It looked so good with birds, rips and slicks, lots of stuff on the FF, even a couple humpback whales, but very little action out there. Ran back in to about 100' again off southern Long Beach and started trolling toward the beach. We picked up a bright 18 lbs chinook and another silver. By 1:00 we were a little north of the LB condos in 80' to 60'. The next 90 minutes, the fishing turned on. The five of us ended up with 5 chinook and 5 silvers. We really lucked out: we had no wild silvers, and we got the chinooks after the silvers.
Cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #65
namu mac
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
Great report. We stayed in for reason of no fuel, tide had boat high and stuck plus grandkids coming.

Chuck- When your boat is stuck because of the low tides do you get a pro-rated credit on your slip?
Old 07-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #66
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by namu mac View Post
Chuck- When your boat is stuck because of the low tides do you get a pro-rated credit on your slip?

No but then again I don't need to pay dry dock fees, lol. Its also a fuel saving measure and when I decide to sell the boat I'll bring prospective buyers down to the boat on a minus tide and brag about how stable these hulls are.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #67
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

Sorry if this is too off topic, but didn't want to start a thread just for a quick question.

Anyone have tips for getting a hold of someone at the Port of Warrenton to get a slip at Hammond? They don't seem to be particularly fond of answering phones, emails, etc.
Bobber Downey Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:50 AM   #68
yeep740
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsauce View Post
We crabbed in 70' and got 29 for 4 pots, chicken and shad. BF were biting good also.

Nice Haul Tommy!!!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #69
saltaddict
Chromer

Great fishing right now! Today, we picked up 8 keeper coho up north off the condos, and 24 crab behind the south jetty. We fished in about 100 FOW most of the day, and caught crab in 45 FOW.

saltaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #70
Clamman
Tuna!

Quote:
Great fishing right now! Today, we picked up 8 keeper coho up north off the condos, and 24 crab behind the south jetty. We fished in about 100 FOW most of the day, and caught crab in 45 FOW.

Similar results for us. Went shallow, 30 feet, to get our chinook and then out to 100 feet for our coho. Good bites for both. Done in less than 3 hours.

Clam
Clamman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #71
RWTIII
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber Downey Jr. View Post
Sorry if this is too off topic, but didn't want to start a thread just for a quick question.
Anyone have tips for getting a hold of someone at the Port of Warrenton to get a slip at Hammond? They don't seem to be particularly fond of answering phones, emails, etc.
That is why I moorage in Chinook. Speaking of Chinook today was a very good day.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #72
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

Would if I could but I have a place to stay in warrenton down the street, so it's tough to justify driving to chinook.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #73
Angus
Tuna!

Not much to add to this other then we found silvers down at 70-90' on the downriggers and they were nicer then the shallow fish we found, your results may vary.
Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #74
Microman
Cutthroat

Old school worked last 2 days. 2 to cr and back. Limits by 10 both days. 5 to 9 lbs.
Microman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #75
snlphillips
Chromer

The fishing/catching is good, if you're considering going, GO.

We fished Thurs-Sun. Caught fish at the CR buoy, Condos, North Head, light house, 20-40fow for nooks, 100fow for coho. Follow your instincts, if you see birds, bait, and/or a whale, stop and fish. We used herring and anchovies, whole and cut plug, brads cut plug also caught fish. There are some really nice Chinook showing up. We had several around 20lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190705_105357.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	726465  
Old 07-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #76
copycat
Tuna!

Started fishing at 9:15 had 3 coho and a chinook in the boat by 9:29, that was a fast limit!
copycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #77
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snlphillips View Post
The fishing/catching is good, if you're considering going, GO.

We fished Thurs-Sun. Caught fish at the CR buoy, Condos, North Head, light house, 20-40fow for nooks, 100fow for coho. Follow your instincts, if you see birds, bait, and/or a whale, stop and fish. We used herring and anchovies, whole and cut plug, brads cut plug also caught fish. There are some really nice Chinook showing up. We had several around 20lbs.
Nice fish way to go!

Old 07-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #78
TyBoo
Steelhead

I had a two gentlemen from China on board today. I couldn't understand a word they were saying but the son of one of them and his girlfriend were with us so it worked well. They were salmon rookies and lost at least 20 fish, including the first dozen hookups, and they took a few tries to get the netting down but they were adamant on doing it themselves and figured it out in plenty of time to limit the four of us who were fishing. The young lady didn't have a license and was quite content to run the boat all morning and chase the birds.

Following the advice on here and yesterday's fish checker at Hammond we went up north to the lighthouse and 40-50 feet of water. We caught lots of fish at the top and tried the downrigger at the bottom and one diver at 35 pulls looking for chinook but all we got were bigger silvers. We were ok with that.

Losing 20 hooked fish and at least that many missed hits is not an exaggeration. It was a good thing we had plenty of bait. The most remarkable part is that all eight fish that made it into the net were clipped coho. There were no intentional releases today. We left Hammond about 5:30 and were back there by 11:30.

Perfect ocean all morning. We even returned in the middle of the ebb and I let one of the guys run the boat back in across "the most treacherous bar in the world" (they were at the Maritime Museum yesterday, so they knew this!). He did great until the first time a bigger swell yawed us a little on the downhill side, then I took it over.

Anchovies and whatever diver/flasher combo we tried first worked all day. I usually skip the weekend and let the working guys have the ocean, but I think I may need to get a crew out there at least one day this weekend. The tides and forecast look good.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:01 AM   #79
SoylentGreen
Ifish Nate

these reports are awesome. But hard to read from work!
SoylentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #80
Soulakala
King Salmon

I haven't been able to get out the last few days; doc had me doing a cardio stress test on the treadmill the other day and the wife took a header in the garage and banged up her back. So I'm on a holding pattern for a few more days. However this morning a friend recounted their fishing episode from yesterday and it sounded like "Tyboo's" post above. He said lots of feeder Chinook to the boat, as he said they were 22" clones. They ended up off Klipsan then hung a left and ran out to "3" and finished the day on silvers. He too said bring lots of bait.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #81
fishaplenty
Chromer

We fished 7/11 north around the condos in 40-70' of water. We got a 18lb nook and 4 silvers. Not red hot but a good day for us. Cut plug herring.
fishaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #82
Shake N Bake Sportfishing

Buoy 1 lit up for us today around high tide.

Easy limits and back by noon.

Mike C
Shake N Bake Sportfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #83
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

Our early start was out in front of the condos. Lots of boats but despite the birds seen in many areas it was a dud. Running out to 1 was a smart decision but we didn't hit it big until we went west to 300+ fow. We found and followed a huge rip with kelp and weeds west for a mile. Fish caught next to that rip were huge (for this early in the year). They were mostly wild but we still got our fish. Mackerel were killing us on bait. The thread, a ways back, said bring lots of bait. We did and we're glad we did. We eventually did limit out and ran across a bouncy max ebb bar at 330. Line counters were 28-45', down rigger at 50' and all fish taken on anchovies.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #84
flatocean
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin"G"man View Post
Our early start was out in front of the condos. Lots of boats but despite the birds seen in many areas it was a dud. Running out to 1 was a smart decision but we didn't hit it big until we went west to 300+ fow. We found and followed a huge rip with kelp and weeds west for a mile. Fish caught next to that rip were huge (for this early in the year). They were mostly wild but we still got our fish. Mackerel were killing us on bait. The thread, a ways back, said bring lots of bait. We did and we're glad we did. We eventually did limit out and ran across a bouncy max ebb bar at 330. Line counters were 28-45', down rigger at 50' and all fish taken on anchovies.
same story for us. North was dead all the up to the 23 line but off 1 in 300 ft plenty of fish. Interesting though we had our fish at 20 to 24 on the line counter and a couple right on top as we were letting out. Must be fish from surface down a ways. Anchovies and plugged cut both produced. Lots of wild fish.
Flatocean (Boat Slabhunter)
flatocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #85
Soulakala
King Salmon

We ran out deciding to drop gear at the lighthouse, out 20 pulls with anchovies. Sit a north troll to nearly Seaview with not one hit. Noticed a few boats west of us so the troll was now west bound - nothing. We pulled gear and ran out to 3. Seeing fish a little deeper we ran the gear out to 25 and 30 pulls, both of us grabbed a half sandwich while waiting. Wrong plan two fish on, both hatchery clones. By 945 we had all except casper in the box. Then it went dead. We decided to troll in but until getting to north jetty got hit with a nice fish filling the box. Back tied up with cleaned fish by noon.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #86
cutt plug
Tuna!

Default CR Marine Area #1 Reports

Hit the ocean with a full crew today, two of them have never caught a salmon. Started west of Bouy #1 and trolled west. It was fast and furious until we got all the tags filled. I’m sure we lost more than we caught. Turned back a few nates as well. Anchovies and brads super baits were the top performer followed by herring.

Ocean was as flat as I’ve ever seen it, what a beautiful day.

6 crabs to round our our bounty.

Even saw a sunfish.

Last edited by cutt plug; 07-13-2019 at 04:39 PM.
cutt plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #87
deerlick
Steelhead

Worst thing about today was being down so quickly.....be nice to fish for a little while. 10 dead many released. Go west
deerlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #88
Chukarhead
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerlick View Post
Worst thing about today was being down so quickly.....be nice to fish for a little while. 10 dead many released. Go west

You know salmon aren't the only swimmers out there, right?
Chukarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:30 AM   #89
Ian Harrison
Chromer

Tried North of lighthouse to Seaview in close to confirm the reports of nothing going on there. Headed out to 240ft maybe a mile North of 1. And trollled WNW for quick limits. 20’ on the side rods, 24-30’ on the back rods with divers. Anchovies with helmets and a mini cut plug brads both worked by anchovy was far better. 7 hatchery silvers and 1 15-18# chinook followed by a few cabezon and black rockfish before we headed to the barn.

Note: 240-300 fow was the range for us. Bite died from 300-330’ so we ran back to 240 and picked up our last 2 fish in about 5 minutes.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #90
Troutman
Coho

Saturday Report,

Started trolling at 1 and headed NW towards the fleet. Fish on everywhere, pretty easy limit of coho, released 7-8 nates, lots of other quick takedowns and lost fish. Back at the dock by 11. 50/50 anchovies/herring with a couple on a Brads cut plug. 18' - 38' with 22'-26' being the best.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #91
Big Game Fishing

What an amazing weekend on the ocean. Early limits and lots of action. Not very often can you see open river boats slaying coho clear out at the Astoria canyon, but it was that special today.

We even did bonus river sturgeon yesterday, and some bonus rockfish today. I can't remember a July when the ocean was this nice this consistently.

I've got some openings the last couple weeks of July, the coho will just get bigger!

Jim Fowler
360-772-3274
Old 07-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #92
Tjmass
Cutthroat

We crossed the bar around 8:00 for maiden voyage with a crew of 5. Headed west until we hit 250'. Started trolling west and we were limited in about an hour with 10 silvers. Lost a few and threw back 3-4 natives. We ended in about 320'. Had action the whole time. Anchovies with and without helmets and divers. Up high, down low, didn't matter. We couldn't do anything wrong. 5 hours driving to and from for 1 hour of fishing. Looks like we need to figure out how/where to get bottom fish off the CR. Overall excellent fishing experience and happy with how the boat handles in the ocean.
Tjmass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #93
Ian Harrison
Chromer

Today was different, but not by much. Left Ilwaco at 645 am and went straight out to 200 cow just west of 1 and began trolling west. With the top current and motor engaged we were doing 5.5-6 mph SOG. No bites and didn’t see much going on but marked a ton before deciding to just put the motor in neutral and drift (still going 3.5-4.5 mph SOG). From then on out to about 475’ it was on. 7 silvers and 1 chinook kept. The fleet seemed to be way out further. Lots of boats kept motoring past us not catching while we could hardly keep rods in the water.... in neutral!
Old 07-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #94
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

Forecasts are looking a bit rough for the coming weekend. Unfortunate for an open river boat guy like myself hopefully the forecast settles down as the week goes on.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #95
Danny Mailey
Fry

Two of us left the dock at 8:30a.m. Headed for Buoy 1. Started fishing at 9:40...Calm ride out. Great ocean conditions. We trolled west from 260' to 430', fished a very strong rip and nailed a couple decent Silvers by 10:45. Had other strikes but they missed. Then it slowed up and we headed back to about 300' and trolled East. We lost two hard hits in 10 minutes, and then got our last 2 at about 12:30. One rod landed all 4 fish. Funny how that works some days. That rod we fished diver/Big Al's flasher/Green hoochie with either plug cut herring or a fillet...both worked...The other rod fished a Kokanee size Brads Super Bait, which had one on momentarily...Then he switched to a Green hoochie. Lost a couple. Then he switched to a 3.5 Super Bait and nada with it.

Wound up pulling our pots and they had 4 keepers for the 2 pots.

All in all a fun day on the big pond. The bar was very smooth both ways, but the ebb was small in the afternoon, and the swells were about 2' at 15 or so seconds. Very unusual.

Can't wait to go back on the 27th. The fish were bigger than the 4 we got in June. Nice grade of fish for July... 5-8 lbs. Released a real nice native of about 9 lbs.

Last edited by Danny Mailey; 07-15-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Danny Mailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #96
8knots
Chromer

Did a solo trip. Took me 4 anchovies to get my two coho by 10:00. Ended up with a long run back in as I was fiddling with my Lowrance depth finder most of the time and let the current take me way West.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #97
RWTIII
Tuna!

Late Entry, 7/14.
Wife and I started fishing Northwest of buoy 1 in about 250 FOW heading NW. Only had a couple of Coho to the boat in the first 45 minutes to an hour, shook them both off, small. Kept trolling/drifting to the NW and found a school of mostly hatchery Coho in 500 FOW, 45 minutes later and in 560 FOW we were done with 4 nice silvers. Most were caught at 30-35 feet on the line counter. I had never fished in that deep of water for Coho and there were still a lot of boats a mile or so beyond us. Looked like a Halibut derby in the canyon, it was nuts. We have had most of our fish the last two weeks using Anchovy's with a red/chartreuse or pink/chartreuse Leo flasher behind a Delta diver. My wife has had success fishing old school with a Pink Lady diver and Anchovy no flasher.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:40 AM   #98
SoylentGreen
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber Downey Jr. View Post
Forecasts are looking a bit rough for the coming weekend. Unfortunate for an open river boat guy like myself hopefully the forecast settles down as the week goes on.
Finally get a free weekend

Weather blows up
Old 07-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #99
DJensen
Cutthroat

Yes. I have the day off tomorrow and now it is looking rough. Tomorrow is still a maybe. Is anyone else going out tomorrow?
DJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #100
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Here I sit, waiting for the shop to call telling me my boat is ready. Took it in Wed. for Thursday appt. Job should take a little over an hour. What's wrong with this picture?
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #101
ChrisCurtis
Sturgeon

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent.
ChrisCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #102
lotsa action
Steelhead

Default Same Boat

Thanks Chris, but i'm in the same boat as Zilla!
Boat was supposed to be finished last week.
Looks like i'm missing many tuna! Not!
lotsa action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:13 PM   #103
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Got down here for an evening bite with friends in town. Got six keepers around #1 for a couple hours evening troll. Mostly deeper on mix of bait and Brad's. Plenty of unclipped. We'll see how much she blows tomorrow..
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #104
Soulakala
King Salmon

With a horrible wind blowing yesterday afternoon I was surprised to see a few trailers in the lot and one guy taking out. I talked to him who said they got a few fish but conditions were tough. He said they were going to stay a little longer but as fast as conditions deteriorated they decided to come in. It sounded like it went worse as they came in. I have no doubt it did just from the way the wind was blowing in the parking lot. Not a fishy Sunday from my viewpoint but then again I don't care to fish and hang on to railings doing so.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #105
Clamman
Tuna!

Quote:
With a horrible wind blowing yesterday afternoon I was surprised to see a few trailers in the lot and one guy taking out. I talked to him who said they got a few fish but conditions were tough. He said they were going to stay a little longer but as fast as conditions deteriorated they decided to come in. It sounded like it went worse as they came in. I have no doubt it did just from the way the wind was blowing in the parking lot. Not a fishy Sunday from my viewpoint but then again I don't care to fish and hang on to railings doing so.
My sentiments exactly. The wind machine was pumping yesterday. I like to fish and I like salmon but for me there is a lot of quota left and summer left to pick and choose the days. Hopefully when the wind machine turns off the fish are a little closer.

Clam
Clamman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #106
SoylentGreen
Ifish Nate

Charters in Ilwaco were in by 11. Maybe not as hot as last week but it turned out to be a beautiful day Sunday. Lots of fish.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #107
Hockinson man
Tuna!

07-22-19

Great day! Low at North jetty arround 10am. Headed straight for 1 and dropped gear just south of 1. Started fishing around 9:00. By 10:15 3 nice silvers in box. Would've been done by 10:30, but lost three at the boat ( Love barbless and using sickle hooks). Finally got a nice silver at 38 on the counter. Back to the barn around noon. Great day and slept in.

Note to self... After spending $700 first week in July today was much better in gas. Straight shot to 1 and troll. Trolled out to 300' water 12/12 on GPS. Used only 16 gallons and $72 at the pump. Still don't need to share with wife! Tight lines.
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #108
8knots
Chromer

Did a solo today and got my two early at 40 feet on reel, south of CR away from the fleet. Used 4.59 gallons of fuel!!! Today was a good day in a flat bottom boat.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #109
just ducky
Steelhead

First trip out for us today 4 rods started at 2 and trolled south. Fish were deep today 40ft on the line counter seemed to do the trick. We did go thru 3lbs of bait to get a limit Lots of fun
just ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #110
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8knots View Post
Did a solo today and got my two early at 40 feet on reel, south of CR away from the fleet. Used 4.59 gallons of fuel!!! Today was a good day in a flat bottom boat.
Nice job

Old 07-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #111
Big Game Fishing

This thread is eerily quiet.

I put rods in the water at 0615 this morning, limited by 0640, back at dock in Hammond by 0730 with a nice grade of coho.

I have seats available Thursday thru Sunday.

Jim Fowler
360-772-3274
Old 07-25-2019, 04:57 AM   #112
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

Anybody been out this week?

Old 07-25-2019, 05:35 AM   #113
Soulakala
King Salmon

Yesterday a little late getting started (needed more coffee and dog needed poop walk) morning, boat lines released and off we headed out around 8:00 ish. The bar even though it was already into the ebb was good maybe slightly more lumpy than the river. We dropped lines north of B3 and dragged anchovies hoping for fish or something for the next 15 minutes until buddies pole takes a hit but came with a fin. I reeled in to check bait and had a small Coho jack. Ended the day with our fish and 4 or 5 released fish. Crossed the bar on full ebb but with the small tidal difference and very small swell the bar was a 25 knot crossing. I was surprised we only went through less than one pound of anchovies for the two of us. Back at the dock washed up by 11 ish. Very nice day on the water. With this weather and small tidal swing its great fishing outside the CR.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:38 AM   #114
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post

I put rods in the water at 0615 this morning, limited by 0640, back at dock in Hammond by 0730 with a nice grade of coho.

Jim Fowler
360-772-3274

thats great fishing but I imagine some clients could be disappointed in the quick trip. I know that's a common discussion with charters, quick trip is both a positive and negative to the business.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #115
apelily
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post

Jim Fowler
360-772-3274
That is a fast limit! Were you by yourself or with clients also? Can you share what area you were in? I may head out saturday.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #116
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
thats great fishing but I imagine some clients could be disappointed in the quick trip. I know that's a common discussion with charters, quick trip is both a positive and negative to the business.
I actually had clients cancel, so it was just a friend trip. It's amazing how fast guys that know the drill can put fish in the boat.

If I limit fast I'm one of the few boats carrying sturgeon gear too. We drop our salmon off with Sturgeon Paul to process while we go tug on trophy size sturgeon.

One day a week ago my clients started the day with a few sturgeon, crossed the bar for a limit of salmon and 2 limits of rockfish on the way in.

My sanity is often in question by other guides for even offering the other options to clients.

Can't do the combo trips everyday, but I try to give people the trip I would want if I was paying.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #117
Big Game Fishing

Last couple days fish are a little more scattered, but still biting both north and south sides of channel. Wind is gonna blow pretty good tonight. I'm trying in the morning, hopefully the fish aren't broken up too bad, and hopefully the ocean isn't too nasty.

I live inland along Lewis and Clark road though and it's currently 77 degrees with WNW winds at 14mph. This wind needs to lay down. Beautiful beach weather, not ocean salmon weather.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #118
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Bar restrictions this morning to 26' . We got a late start (7:45 am). Went between 1 and CR. Found a nice rip and had two silvers, and nook in the boat in 40 minutes. Trolled about another hour and caught a beautiful silver. Done at 10:00. Headed back over an ebb bar. Smaller exchange today. This completed three days of fishing.
I would say We'd/Thur were slower. Early morning bites and scattered fish. Every time we get south wind it always throws our game off a little. Today was a great day, nice to get home early and add some orange gold to the freezer.

24 on the line counter with tight rolls on the helmet anchovies. Tuna gel scent with anise oil. Don't forget the tooth picks.

Rumor is ocean is shutting down Aug 12th??
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #119
Big Game Fishing

The bar was pretty bumpy early, hard to imagine that the ocean looked like this about 1100....

Fishing wasn't red hot, but we found some, including some nice Chinook.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #120
8knots
Chromer

Beautiful fish! Nice going. Looks bumpy for a few days.