Hows your garden 2019? - Page 2 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 03-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #61
Guthooker
Sturgeon

Default Re: Hows your garden 2019?

The wife and I are going to get serious about a garden this year, we took all of out leaves and placed them over half of out back yard where we plan on having it tilled up. when is the best time to have it tilled up and is there anything I can do to help the process ? our plan is for tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, squash, maybe some corn. any ideas would be awesome.

Guthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #62
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Man, you guys are doing great! I hope someone gets going on my garden soon...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #63
SteelCityIrish
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthooker View Post
The wife and I are going to get serious about a garden this year, we took all of out leaves and placed them over half of out back yard where we plan on having it tilled up. when is the best time to have it tilled up and is there anything I can do to help the process ? our plan is for tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, squash, maybe some corn. any ideas would be awesome.

COMPOST COMPOST COMPOST....

Where I live the soil contains a lot of clay... not a debilitating amount, but enough that it needed amending. I would recommend picking up Steve Solomns "Gardening West of the Cascades" great tips and explanations through WHOLE process of starting to maintaining a garden.

One item of note is that all soils west of cascades, except for an area around Grants Pass, can use a shot of lime (not dolomite). If I were starting fresh, definitely get some #60 or even better #100 ag lime into your soil as well.

As for tilling, I tilled first two years to amend soils, now I just add composts on top. Theory states constant tilling promotes "deadpanning" and disrupts natural capillary function of soils.

S.C.I.
SteelCityIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #64
cascadebull
Tuna!

Quote:
Peat Moss and Perlite tilled in western soil will give you a good start at breaking up the soil. Most bagged cow manure is not hot and is a good amendment thats pretty woody. Leaves are good but don't do much for breaking up clay soil. I put mine in a pile in the Fall and run them over with the mowers mulching setting, then I just use a hard rake and trowel them in soil and let compost over winter. Tilling timing is just when it won't make mud .

You need to help your plants have the ability to take in those nutrients adding lime will do very little if the plants can't utilize it. Same goes with the Phosphorus and Nitrogen ratios. Yeh you can grow in just plain dirt but to take it to another level you have to get this stuff right. I grew for years not doing any of these things, now I have a much better growing medium.

I just watched a video that can explain way better than I can. They have raised beds but it still applies to in ground. I am really jealous of their raised bed construction.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #65
No Reservations
Tuna!

Quote:

A little info on the area you live near might help. I know in the state of Oregon we have several different climate zones. Here in central Oregon I still have snow covering much of my garden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Reservations is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #66
Zarn
Ifish Nate

Kale volunteers are up. We have had cilantro & parsley all winter The cilantro has really taken off this past week. Getting ready to till & plant the early crops. Going easy on the garden this year. I am booked up for the next 7 months months rigging on several tournies & other offshore fishing obligations.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:10 AM   #67
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Winter crop of Fava beans doing great. They are a good cover crop putting a lot back into the soil. Plus you can eat the greens, very tasty.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #68
SteelCityIrish
Steelhead

My tom / tomatillo seedlings are over a foot tall... most doing well in windows now with grow lights placed underneath. Trying a new technique where I trim along stems all foliage so just bush tops... my plan is to plant long stems angular in soil in hopes of more rooting along it. Leave tops will be at ground level.

Hot / sweet peps happy campers with new cloche going in soon.

We shall see... peas coming up. Over wintered garlic looks fabulous. We've been eating roughage all winter... getting close now.

S.C.I.
SteelCityIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #69
pirk fan
Tuna!

Tilled the garden yesterday, part of it was under some mint straw and was kind of wet, the part under horse manure tilled up great. Put on a massive application of nitrogen, because both mint straw and the manure are probably deficient (horse manure is really half sawdust/stall mix so has a lot of organic material that eats up nitrogen). Going to plant cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and romaine lettuce starts today. Saw my first cabbage butterfly yesterday....grrrrrr!

Planted some herbs (started thyme and sage from seed, parsley and rosemary from Bi-Mart) all under cloches. I think that they'd be fine since the Oregano I planted last year is growing like crazy, but the cloches protect them in case we get a cold snap. Just started some basil seeds, but that stuff grows fast. Also planted tomatoes (I know, crazy early but they're inside cloches too!, hoping this will give them an early start). My wife got some fancy kind of potato from a local nursery, so they're going in today too.

Garlic and shallots are up and looking great.
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #70
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Wifey just started prepping our raised bed yesterday.
The garlic is looking spanktacular.
I got the first mow on the lawn started for the spring. 5 bags full, just to do our small front lawn.
Had to jack the mower up 2 notches. Still have the even taller back yard, and one side.
1/4 acre is WAY too much.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #71
pugbuddy
Steelhead

Hoping for a repeat.
pugbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #72
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Our Blueberries seem to be taking forever to bloom. The buds cracked some time ago, like over a month and flowers are just now starting to show fairly well. If we could get four days in a row of nice warm weather it would probably perk them up. Looks like it'll be a good crop again. It's usually lots of berries or big berries. Last year was big berries. Last fall I did some serious pruning because the two end plants were crowding out the middle plant. Gotta wait to see what kind of new growth the middle plant puts on this summer.

I've got a bunch of new palm tree sprouts again this spring if any of you want to come over and get some. They gotta go.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #73
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Our Blueberries seem to be taking forever to bloom. The buds cracked some time ago, like over a month and flowers are just now starting to show fairly well. If we could get four days in a row of nice warm weather it would probably perk them up. Looks like it'll be a good crop again. It's usually lots of berries or big berries. Last year was big berries. Last fall I did some serious pruning because the two end plants were crowding out the middle plant. Gotta wait to see what kind of new growth the middle plant puts on this summer.

I've got a bunch of new palm tree sprouts again this spring if any of you want to come over and get some. They gotta go.
Same here on the Blueberries.
Looks to be a bumper crop. Hopefully biggies.
Because of 10 of wifey's g-kids wandering in and out, several times a week, the b-berries and strawberries are the first place they go!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #74
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Pug could have used some of your tomatoes and good on the onions. Never seem to have luck on them.

The pear tree out front sounded like a swarm of bees descended on it . Went around back to check on those trees and 0 bees, strange. Hope to get some good pears from the back trees but we will have to wait. The apple tree didn't put out one blossom this year now that is 2 years in a row.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #75
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkiller View Post
Pug could have used some of your tomatoes and good on the onions. Never seem to have luck on them.

The pear tree out front sounded like a swarm of bees descended on it . Went around back to check on those trees and 0 bees, strange. Hope to get some good pears from the back trees but we will have to wait. The apple tree didn't put out one blossom this year now that is 2 years in a row.
Mason and leaf cutter bees? Might want to try em!
Old 04-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #76
pugbuddy
Steelhead

Cutting sucker limbs makes them grow like this. Only let them fork below the blossom clusters, twice. Score other limbs with blade and snap off leaving the leaf. Variety is Celebrity.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #77
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Anyone doing good? I have very little done. Heading out today to get a few things. Its the weather.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #78
pirk fan
Tuna!

With the forecast up into the mid 80's over the next 10 days, I'm going to try to get a jump on the real summer stuff, beans, corn, squash, cucumbers. Tomatoes are doing well, removed the cloches yesterday. Lettuce, cabbage, broccoli and brussels sprouts are in the ground and looking great, just thinned the second plantings of leaf, romaine, cabbage and broccoli. Onions are looking OK, but I'm not happy with the new spot I planted the storing ones, so put a row in the old garden as a just in case. Potatoes are coming up. There's a dozen bell pepper starts under the grow lights, probably at least a week before I plant them. I'm growing herbs for the first time this year, sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley and basil. This could be a banner garden year!
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #79
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Everything is in except the 'maters!

We have been eating asparagas every few nights for the last month and it is always a sad day when it is done for the year.

Just got some Apacas. Anyone use their turds? I have read it is excellent fertilizer right away and will not burn anything.
Would go nice with the hundreds of fish carcasses that have been added in the beds since last summer.........
1nutinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #80
Blue fin
Chromer

I don't have a winter garden. I've learned to plant what we and a group of older friends will eat. This year I'm down to 2 varieties of beans that everyone will eat. Maybe 40' all total. Scarlet Runners are awesome and are a perennial. They form bulbs and come up for years. Only put in 3 squash plants. I have 16 tomatoes that include 4 varieties that grow well for me. A lot of them are sunsugar cherry toms. Very, very sweet. I make and eat a lot of salsa and ceveche and can salsa as well. And I only put in a few hot peppers this year. 4 of 5 three year old apple and pear trees are going to be heavy with fruit and my 7 blueberries have a bumper crop going. They're only 3 years old. Also have about a hundred strawberry plants that are doing outstanding...blooms everywhere. And a couple of weeks ago I planted a fig tree... My place is pretty small and 1/2 the stuff is in raised beds. My soil is mostly created from chipped up trees and the compost that I do... The clay I have isn't worth growing in.

Last edited by Blue fin; 05-06-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Blue fin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #81
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Our 3rd or 4th year us pair guts is producing enough for the 2 of us to have a few sprigs every few days.
The volunteer spuds ,onions and garlic are going nutz!
Pears ,apples, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are looking bueno!
Not many regular old honey bees around yet though. Kinda worries me. Lots of fuzzy bumbles and damn yeller jackets
and mud dobbers.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #82
TheRogue
King Salmon

Just turned over and filled our garden boxes with more Miracle Gro garden mix today. Normal...Tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, cucumbers.

I think its early, but I was overruled.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A feral horse is a free-roaming horse of domesticated ancestry. As such, a feral horse is not a wild animal in the sense of an animal without domesticated ancestors.
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #83
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
Just turned over and filled our garden boxes with more Miracle Gro garden mix today. Normal...Tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, cucumbers.

I think its early, but I was overruled.

It's not early Kyle. Got wildfires popping up already.
Plant like there's no tomorrow. Might not be any water in La Foot later!
Old 05-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #84
TheRogue
King Salmon

True, very true. We start water restrictions June 4th....but looking at the weather forecast, I bet its earlier.

A feral horse is a free-roaming horse of domesticated ancestry. As such, a feral horse is not a wild animal in the sense of an animal without domesticated ancestors.
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:06 PM   #85
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
True, very true. We start water restrictions June 4th....but looking at the weather forecast, I bet its earlier.

Welp. Not too far to walk to the Yamhill and get a couple 5 gallon buckets of agua. At the locks?
Old 05-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #86
pugbuddy
Steelhead

T-Tape drip irrigation, green ag film, thermo cover. Watermelon, Cantaloupe and Cucumber are up from direct seed planting.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #87
Dave G
King Halibut

The Marionberries are going crazy this year, strawberries and raspberries are going strong, but no flowers yet.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #88
fishinman
Tuna!

Default Hows your garden 2019?

I harvested some spinach this morning. Peas are coming up good, radishes need another week, kale is thick. I planted a couple store bought tomatoes a couple weeks ago and just tonight planted a dozen more I started from seed. San Marzano, black Krim, and quiet riots favorite polish linguisa. Hood strawberries that I started from root are coming on strong. Tomorrow I’ll plant some lemon and pickling cucumbers and a squash unless a friend talks me into fishing instead.

And the dozen chickens have two or three more weeks before harvest time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by fishinman; 05-06-2019 at 07:38 PM.
fishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #89
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Fishinman, you should go fishing if you aren't. Had pretty decent luck ignoring the garden lately

Old 05-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #90
fishinman
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
Fishinman, you should go fishing if you aren't. Had pretty decent luck ignoring the garden lately

Joe I got one tonight ‘twas wild though. The garden will happen tomorrow!

Old 05-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #91
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Buddies kid got the biggest springer I've ever had on my boat, was wild also. Probably shouldn't post a pic here cause I'll be ridiculed but it's his first salmon ever so what the hay! BTW, this kid is 6'4"...

Old 05-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #92
Ragde
Steelhead

Just for giggles, started soaking some corn seed indoors 4/28. Put it in the ground when it sprouted and I noticed leaves above the ground in all 4 rows this morning. Hope the weather stays warm enough for it to continue growing. Earliest corn I've even gotten to germinate in my Salem garden.

Raspberries, Boysens, Marions, and blueberries are all well budded and/or blooming. Tons of bloom on the apples and pears this spring. Looks like a good year ahead.
Ragde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #93
Fishfeet
King Salmon

All our pears and apples are bloomed out and dropped.
Strawberry patch I planted last spring is covered in blossoms.
Blueberries are looking REAL good! Tons of blossoms.
Now if the young raspberries I just planted, will take off. I might have a nice batch of those. In the next year.
Love the raspberry jam!
Now to put up electric razor wire around the whole back. Gotta keep those heathen G-kids out of there.
Gotta go n get a couple bundles of Wally sweet onions tomorrow at the local nursery.
Been eating baby asparagus every couple evenings.
Nuttin' but 80+ degree weather in the forecast. Gotta break out all the in ground sprinklers tonight.
Life on the farm is tough!
Old 05-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #94
Whethole
Sturgeon

Our toddler blueberry plants are seemingly ready to explode in production this year. Most flowers I've seen on them in the 2 and 3 years they have been in the ground. Just last month I spread Doug fir chips around their bases and I can already see it's making them happy plants. The infant raspberry plants also might produce some decent berries. Nice bushy and strong baby plants. I'm certainly excited for that! The strawberries are also gonna have another bumper crop year. We are about to get the sweet peas, tomatoes, and corn in the ground soon. I need me a few more pike minnow carcasses and steelhead carcasses before I plant them maters.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #95
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whethole View Post
Our toddler blueberry plants are seemingly ready to explode in production this year. Most flowers I've seen on them in the 2 and 3 years they have been in the ground. Just last month I spread Doug fir chips around their bases and I can already see it's making them happy plants. The infant raspberry plants also might produce some decent berries. Nice bushy and strong baby plants. I'm certainly excited for that! The strawberries are also gonna have another bumper crop year. We are about to get the sweet peas, tomatoes, and corn in the ground soon. I need me a few more pike minnow carcasses and steelhead carcasses before I plant them maters.
Our maters never need the carks. They go crazy. Can't give em all away.
Don't know what all the boss has planned to plant this year.
But have tons of seeds and the small greenhouse full of young starts.
But gotta get those Wally sweets soon! Love those critters. eat em raw.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #96
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

I think I'll wait until after this hot spell to transplant the mater's in the ground. Lots of berry blooms, already putting up asparagus as I'm kinda tired of eating it. Got onion sets and lots of other starts going, just need to start planting stuff. Potatoes sprouting in the garden and ready to be dug up and moved.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #97
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Life is tuff. Spring is here. Dig it!
Sprinkler system on line. Pants are soaked. Time to hit the showers.
God bless America. Letter grow. Put on or in your own GMO.
Sure wish venison grew this way.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #98
Guthooker
Sturgeon

I haven't paid attention to this thread thanks everyone for the advice. here is the garden so far, wife did all the plantings kind of her thing. all the orange stakes are sprinkler heads since we just tilled up half our yard. makes it nice for watering.

Guthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #99
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Nice looking casa and garden Guthooker.
Bet the venison enjoy a nibble now n then too!
Old 05-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #100
Soulakala
King Salmon

Its going to be Cherry bumper crop this year as the tree looked like a snowball of blossoms and now its heavy with developing Cherries. I also gave up on the garden as weeding conflicted with fishing so now its just a few raised planters.

Also for the tomato planters I installed a 2" ABS pipe radiator in the planter with one coil above ground to catch the sun which heats up the water inside the pipe. In the morning I checked this box verse the others and found ground temps 3-4 degrees warmer. The pipe is working to hold in the temp.
Soulakala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #101
garyk
King Salmon

I noticed on May 9, that the fields planted in field corn had corn showing...now about 3" high.

This weekend, we put in about 300' of sweet corn; I think this is the earliest I've ever planted it.

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #102
Williewobbler
Chromer

Last year was the most disappointed I've been with gardening in 20 plus years. Decided to have my soil tested and.......zero nitrogen in my soil. Added a huge bag of bloodmeal and tadah!
Things are looking great. Huge radishes! Peas, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, artichokes, all succeeding.
Covering my corn rows with chicken wire keeps the marauding bands of quail from plucking them all. So far all 40 plants have sproted and are doing well. Tomatoes and peppers all survived the transplant . With a little continued luck, lots of fresh produce in my family's future.
Williewobbler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #103
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

This rain and cool weather is a real blessing. Everything is taking off. Added a bunch of decomposing wood fiber to the garden this year, my friend that works at the mill calls it black gold. A bunch of good nitrogen rototilled in and things seem to love it. Asparagus right now, late on my cool weather crop but most everything I need is in and coming up.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 AM   #104
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Man my garden has been forgotten. Weddings, Funerals and surgeries that is the last thing on my to do list. Up coming back surgery will put me out for a while, hoping it can hang on.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #105
cascadebull
Tuna!

Hail got me good yesterday. I can't recall ever seeing hail that big around here. I was in the car when it hit, so loud it drowned out the radio. It did not cross my mind about the garden til this morning when I was checking my " precious " tomatoes. All the leaves are broken, shredded swiss cheesey looking. Corn was the only thing not affected. Anyone have this happen before ? should I be lining up replacements ? Just not sure how they can survive shredded like that. Hopefully they will, it is the best start I have had in years.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:44 AM   #106
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Got most of our gardens spaded and planted yesterday. Must have put in tween 80 and 90 Walla Walla sweets, a couple jalapenos, for jalapeno jelly later, 3 tomato's, one zuke , 1 giant squash, for wifey's mom. A bunch of volunteer patato's.
Asparaguts is looking great on it's 4th year now.
Also picked my first stawberries (Hoods) , and man were they sweet. Brought dreams of summers in the fields crashing down on my mind. Blueberries, pears, and apples all looking good too.
Have some Delicata squash to squeeze in somewhere yet.
But better get in lawn mode today and tomorrow. It's gonna get warm out there on Tues and wed!
Old 06-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #107
Williewobbler
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfeet View Post
Got most of our gardens spaded and planted yesterday. Must have put in tween 80 and 90 Walla Walla sweets, a couple jalapenos, for jalapeno jelly later, 3 tomato's, one zuke , 1 giant squash, for wifey's mom. A bunch of volunteer patato's.

Asparaguts is looking great on it's 4th year now.

Also picked my first stawberries (Hoods) , and man were they sweet. Brought dreams of summers in the fields crashing down on my mind. Blueberries, pears, and apples all looking good too.

Have some Delicata squash to squeeze in somewhere yet.

But better get in lawn mode today and tomorrow. It's gonna get warm out there on Tues and wed!
Fishyfeet, where did you purchase your asparagus crowns? I bought some from a supplier in the Midwest . Planted early in the spring, and they just rotted in the ground.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #108
pugbuddy
Steelhead

Viva Italia about May 13th. And today
Old 06-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #109
SImudBogger
Brood stock

Was a late year for us, lots of projects around the new house and weather that was not conducive to outdoor work. Finally got these in a few weeks ago and have them full of tomatoes and peppers from Al’s garden center. Had to do quite a bit of work to get the raised beds to sit level, but they should be set for many years.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #110
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Wow! Nice beds SI.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #111
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williewobbler View Post
Fishyfeet, where did you purchase your asparagus crowns? I bought some from a supplier in the Midwest . Planted early in the spring, and they just rotted in the ground.
Wifey got them from Wilco farms a few yrs ago.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #112
Williewobbler
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfeet View Post
Wifey got them from Wilco farms a few yrs ago.
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #113
Williewobbler
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SImudBogger View Post
Was a late year for us, lots of projects around the new house and weather that was not conducive to outdoor work. Finally got these in a few weeks ago and have them full of tomatoes and peppers from Al’s garden center. Had to do quite a bit of work to get the raised beds to sit level, but they should be set for many years.

Great looking beds for sure. By the looks of that soil, you may hafta rent a high lift to pick your tomatoes
Old 06-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #114
Williewobbler
Chromer

Peas are 6' tall and the pods are filling. Lettuce, spinach, radishes, beets , carrots all being harvested daily. Great time of year!
Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #115
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Beautimus garden WillieW.
Must be that good ol' Columbia top soil doing it's thing!
If I knew how to, I'd post some pix of ours.
But after looking at all you all's gardens, think I'll refrain.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #116
gettin' fishy
Ifish Nate

5 tomato plans in, a couple are starting to bloom. The first planting of peas are about a foot tall, the second planting went in a week ago or so. Have a few cucumbers popping up. Planted a second batch tonight. Waiting for the basil to sprout. Cilantro went I tonight as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #117
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin' fishy View Post
5 tomato plans in, a couple are starting to bloom. The first planting of peas are about a foot tall, the second planting went in a week ago or so. Have a few cucumbers popping up. Planted a second batch tonight. Waiting for the basil to sprout. Cilantro went I tonight as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Love that Cilantro!
Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #118
fishinman
Tuna!

I like cilantro too. My first year planting it. Garden is coming along well might get some “chocolate sprinkles” tomatoes in the next week. After fighting weeds for the first couple years I think I finally have them under control.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #119
SImudBogger
Brood stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williewobbler View Post
Great looking beds for sure. By the looks of that soil, you may hafta rent a high lift to pick your tomatoes
Soil sits about 20” high, so not too bad.
The soil is a 3 part sand/compost/topsoil blend that I had delivered from a place close to my house purely because it was convenient. It holds water very well. Time will tell if it’s good stuff.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #120
Williewobbler
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinman View Post
I like cilantro too. My first year planting it. Garden is coming along well might get some “chocolate sprinkles” tomatoes in the next week. After fighting weeds for the first couple years I think I finally have them under control.
You may never have to plant cilantro again! We like it too, and I chose to just till around this patch ( foreground) . It is quickly becoming coriander, however. This has been an ongoing challenge for us salsa loving gardeners as the maters and peppers are still a long ways off.