El Gaucho do you tip? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
Josh Fisherman
Tuna!

Default El Gaucho do you tip?

Hi guys,

I’m going to take the wife to El Gaucho tomorrow night for our anniversary. I read on there website that they add 20% service charge to all checks. I normally tip 20% for good service but I am not inclined to tip 40%. So what do most of you do? Thanks Josh

Learned #71 "Fish Whistle"

Traditional Dory Experience Provider
Josh Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
cutplugherring
Ifish Nate

Default Re: El Gaucho do you tip?

Josh, I have eaten there a few times with friends. I usually just give the 20% tip unless the service is very good which it is for the most part. For me to give 40% they would have to cut the steak and put it inside my mouth. I have never gotten bad service but some times a waiter is very good so sometimes I give more. Your mileage may vary. You must be going to Elton John. Enjoy

Last edited by cutplugherring; 09-17-2019 at 09:19 AM.
cutplugherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
flounder pounder
Tuna!

My tip
Is to take her somewhere else like mortons or ringside , been to gauchos many times in the past but am no longer a customer, the food doesn’t live up to the price there
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
Tar Heel
Sturgeon

I tip if they cook my steak, lol. Not sure about EG, but many of the "tip's included" places just share the tip among all staff, at least certain staff. Still, 20% is crazy, imo, so I'd leave it that.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
DogZilla15
King Salmon

If the tip is built into to the final bill, no. I would tend to avoid places that automatically include a tip. Some establishments will automatically include a tip if the head count is over a certain number. I’m okay with that. It keeps the staff from being shorted if there’s a few cheapskates in attendance. There’s always someone who doesn’t pay up if they think they can get away with it.

I was planning to treat myself to El Gaucho when I got my weight under 190. Maybe I’ll rethink that. I always preferred El Gaucho over Mortons and Ruth Christ as the atmosphere is more to my liking.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #6
Copper John
Coho

Fogo De Chao is a wayyy better bang for your buck.....plus the variety is amazing. Still fancy, but not as intimate as an experience as El Gaucho. Tip : lunch is cheap. If you only want filet, its really all u can eat. Salad Bar is pretty good.
Copper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
Josh Fisherman
Tuna!

The twins are 6 months old today. So we sold the Elton John tickets to stay closer to home. We are going to Portland City Grill for drinks and El Gaucho for dinner. We have never been there but have always wanted to try it. Hopefully the steak is delicious because I can cook a damn good one myself.. Maybe Papa Hayden’s for dessert.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #8
positize
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Fisherman View Post
The twins are 6 months old today. So we sold the Elton John tickets to stay closer to home. We are going to Portland City Grill for drinks and El Gaucho for dinner. We have never been there but have always wanted to try it. Hopefully the steak is delicious because I can cook a damn good one myself.. Maybe Papa Hayden’s for dessert.
And therein lies the problem. Many of us can cook a smokin' good steak so I feel like I wasted money at places like El Gaucho, Morton's, Ruth Chris.

But it is hard to beat those desserts at Papa Hayden (and no way I can make desserts that delicious). Enjoy.

No way on green earth they are getting any more tip than their built-in 20%. And I won't go back to places like that: really rubs me the wrong way especially if the service is not top-notch. Like the doggy man said, I'm OK with the large party required tip, but otherwise find it beyond snooty.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
choppers
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper John View Post
Fogo De Chao is a wayyy better bang for your buck.....plus the variety is amazing. Still fancy, but not as intimate as an experience as El Gaucho. Tip : lunch is cheap. If you only want filet, its really all u can eat. Salad Bar is pretty good.
choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
nailyard
Tuna!

If a 15%-20% gratuity is added to the bill then there is no further additions. That is the TIP

Years ago I worked as a waiter and was told the TIPS is To Insure Proper Service.
nailyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
Mister G.
Chromer

I ran into an interesting place up in Walla Walla last summer. Automatic 20% 'service charge' added, and they paid their wait staff $1.00 per hour and then an undisclosed % of their "sales". Sure made for a lot of friendly, up-selling waiters. I kind of felt bad for the waiters, having been turned into commissioned food salespeople, but no tip there. (assuming, of course, that the 'service charge' actually did get spread around among the staff)

G
Old 09-18-2019, 04:25 AM   #12
Bladdershy
Chromer

Man if they charged me 20% for writing out a check, well, I guess I deserve it for still carrying around a check book lol

Last edited by Bladdershy; 09-18-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Bladdershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #13
Josh Fisherman
Tuna!

From El Gaucho website:

A 20% service charge is included on each check. El Gaucho retains 100% of the service charge. Our professional service team receives industry leading compensation including commissions on sales, health insurance, 401K, and extensive education and training for a successful career path.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
fishrepellor
Chromer

Quote:
From El Gaucho website:

A 20% service charge is included on each check. El Gaucho retains 100% of the service charge. Our professional service team receives industry leading compensation including commissions on sales, health insurance, 401K, and extensive education and training for a successful career path.
Rip off!
scratch them off my list of restaurants to try.
fishrepellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Thanks Josh. Guess I’ll buy my Slab-O-Brontosarus somewhere else.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #16
Fishfeet
King Salmon

I was looking at their menu and noticed a number after each item.
Is that the price of these items?
Or just the number on the menu?
Old 09-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #17
gettin' fishy
Ifish Nate

My theory is if they have an automatic tip added then that is all they are getting. Depending on the place we normally tip 20-25%.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #18
DogZilla15
King Salmon

A tip is gratuity. The up-charge is a tax.

El Gaucho may make the employee extras available but it is up to the employee to participate.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #19
SImudBogger
Brood stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper John View Post
Fogo is my favorite. It’s the classiest buffet around! The picanha is awesome!
Old 09-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #20
FireHead
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder pounder View Post
My tip
Is to take her somewhere else like mortons or ringside , been to gauchos many times in the past but am no longer a customer, the food doesn’t live up to the price there
^^I agree.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #21
Mister G.
Chromer

Quote:
From El Gaucho website:

Exact same wording on the bill at the place I mentioned in Walla Walla. Walla Walla Steak Company. My one and only time ever there.

G

Last edited by Mister G.; 09-18-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Mister G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:01 AM   #22
Rickster
Tuna!

Quote:
From El Gaucho website:

What this is supposed to convey is that the staff is well compinsated and not making minimum wage. Probably slightly more. I'll pass if I know this in advance.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #23
orarcher
Ifish Nate

I wouldn't eat there if I noticed this prior to ordering. The establishment is basically saying were charging you extra in order to pay our help a reasonable wage. Crock of crap I tell ya
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #24
fishrepellor
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orarcher View Post
I wouldn't eat there if I noticed this prior to ordering. The establishment is basically saying were charging you extra in order to pay our help a reasonable wage. Crock of crap I tell ya
There's a link on their website that explains in detail their reasoning for their model of compensation.
Still think it's BS, but a good read nonetheless.
fishrepellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #25
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I have no idea what a living wage is these days in the metro area but I can’t imagine a food service employee having that kind of income. I doubt a lot of folks actually know what a living wage is. Surviving isn’t a living wage.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #26
fischadler
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I have no idea what a living wage is these days in the metro area but I can’t imagine a food service employee having that kind of income. I doubt a lot of folks actually know what a living wage is. Surviving isn’t a living wage.
When my now wife of 20+ years and I were dating, and after, while living in Portland we ate at Ringside frequently. We always sat in Frank's section and he usually gave us desert on the house. 20+ years ago Frank was making a 6 figure income as a waiter, no doubt the vast majority of it being tips.
fischadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #27
Root Hog or Die
Sturgeon

Good discussion, who's playing the part of Mr. Pink?
Root Hog or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #28
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Fischadler: Yup, that’s the difference between tips and a salary. My sis in law worked at Portland Chop And Steak House. If she would have worked 40 hours a week, her income would have been substantial. I think a lot of jobs don’t allow for 40 hours these days as employers want nothing but part time employees so they don’t have to pay benefits. Ask you local grocery checker about that.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #29
flounder pounder
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I have no idea what a living wage is these days in the metro area but I can’️t imagine a food service employee having that kind of income. I doubt a lot of folks actually know what a living wage is. Surviving isn’️t a living wage.
I know food service workers that make more than a lot of skilled laborers ,
Old 09-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #30
Chad D.
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder pounder View Post
I know food service workers that make more than a lot of skilled laborers ,

As a fella that has been both a good service worker and a skilled laborer, I strongly feel that a SKILLED food service worker is worth every bit as much as a SKILLED laborer.

Like everything, you’ve got your great service folks, as well as the lazy ones. They’re all worth what they put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:42 PM   #31
RB Drifter
Ifish Nate

Off topic but deals with steak houses. Couple years ago I am working outside sales for a aerospace company and a head hunter reaches out to me from a different corporation and offers me a position within his company after a few interviews, which I decide to accept.

My global sales manager from France calls me up and says he wants to come out and have a dinner meeting and we agree to meet at Ringside. The waiter, after finding out he was from Europe, brings out a few polaroids from the early 80’s. He was in a speedo playing volleyball. It was awesome having the male waiter hit on my male boss and bring out the pics. Didn’t accept the promotion he was offering and still one of those opportunities I look back on wonder what would have happened if I accepted the position.
RB Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:28 AM   #32
Soulakala
King Salmon

I find the built in tip on my bill an insult. If I get bad service you know the take the order drop off the food to the table along with the bill and its the last you see of the staff how do it make my objection known. In retrospect I might leave payment less the 20% gratuity since the service was poor and a note to that effect. As an example earlier this year we went for dinner at our favorite dinner. We order drinks. My wife gets the wrong wine and my whisky is not what I ordered but rather scotch. Ok we make do and get our salad served my wife's salad dressing is not what was ordered, but she is ok with it. When the meal arrives instead of two tuna fish and chips we get one fish and chips and the other fish tacos. I told the waiter wrong order on one, she gets out the ticket and points out that was what we ordered. I said I don't believe we did and she left. I took the fish taco's and they were good. I paid the tab with my CC but left her note and a dime on it saying that dime could have been a $10 had you done your job. I see she no longer works there but has moved onto another establishment next door. Had that been an included 20% tip I would have likely been ****** off.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #33
flounder pounder
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Drifter View Post
Off topic but deals with steak houses. Couple years ago I am working outside sales for a aerospace company and a head hunter reaches out to me from a different corporation and offers me a position within his company after a few interviews, which I decide to accept.

My global sales manager from France calls me up and says he wants to come out and have a dinner meeting and we agree to meet at Ringside. The waiter, after finding out he was from Europe, brings out a few polaroids from the early 80’️s. He was in a speedo playing volleyball. It was awesome having the male waiter hit on my male boss and bring out the pics. Didn’️t accept the promotion he was offering and still one of those opportunities I look back on wonder what would have happened if I accepted the position.
that just got weird lol
Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 PM   #34
DogZilla15
King Salmon

RB: There’s a certain segment of society that has no boundaries. Not fun when you’re the victim.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #35
Don Fischer
King Salmon

I seldom tip anywhere, that place I wouldn't even go in. This country has taken a program where good service is rewarded and turned it into an obligation. Far as I'm concerned pay them a living wage and pass it on in price! Let's see how long they support simply par service or sub par service if they are paying it. I can't fire their lousy help and if I was spending my money there I would expect a certain level of service. Lot of time's the service is no better than average and average seem's to be going down! Shoot anymore I even find tip cups in a seven eleven now and then!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote