Anyone have an iRobot Roomba vacuum? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 12-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
emora
Chromer

Default Anyone have an iRobot Roomba vacuum?

So this past summer we got a new puppy. We keep him inside the house with us and to our surprise he sheds a lot more than we thought he would. He is a short hair. Braque francais to be exact. My wife has been doing a great job keeping the house cleaned. She vacuums about every 2 or 3 days. I brush him about once a week. We have all laminate flooring.
A few days ago she tells me she wants a Roomba vacuum for Christmas to help her keep the floor clean of dog hair while we're gone. I have no idea on how well these things work or if it may be right for us or not.
Like mentioned before, we have laminate floors. Our house is 2650 sq ft but would only be using it on the main level which is 1325 sq ft.
Does anyone out there own a Roomba? What is your experience with it? Does it work good and do you like it? Thanks for any info you give.

emora is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Default Re: Anyone have an iRobot Roomba vacuum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emora View Post
So this past summer we got a new puppy. We keep him inside the house with us and to our surprise he sheds a lot more than we thought he would. He is a short hair. Braque francais to be exact. My wife has been doing a great job keeping the house cleaned. She vacuums about every 2 or 3 days. I brush him about once a week. We have all laminate flooring.
A few days ago she tells me she wants a Roomba vacuum for Christmas to help her keep the floor clean of dog hair while we're gone. I have no idea on how well these things work or if it may be right for us or not.
Like mentioned before, we have laminate floors. Our house is 2650 sq ft but would only be using it on the main level which is 1325 sq ft.
Does anyone out there own a Roomba? What is your experience with it? Does it work good and do you like it? Thanks for any info you give.
Welp! Let me tell ya a little story!
One of my nieces had one! Or something similar!
They ALSO had a dawgy! Dawg was well house broke!
Except one night , when she was expecting company the next morning, Dawg got sick and pooped on the floor!
The Roomba or similar went right over it and in the morning when niece rolled out, the entire casa smelled like................
There was ucky stuff on every floor in the lower casa!
The Roomba was huddled in a corner with a 45 cal held to it's head!
The dawg was under the bed!

Last edited by Fishfeet; 12-05-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Fishfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Root Hog or Die
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfeet View Post
Except one night , when she was expecting company the next morning, Dawg got sick and pooped on the floor!
The Roomba or similar went right over it and in the morning when niece rolled out, the entire casa smelled like................

We have one of the lower end Eufy robot vacuums. We love it. But we usually don't have it on automatic. Just push the button to start it and make sure electrical chords and stuff are out of the way (including pet poop). Vacuuming takes a minute or two of our time instead of a more than half an hour, or whatever it took before. The floors get vacuumed a lot more because of it. Can't wait until all cleaning is done with robots.
Root Hog or Die is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
sadiesassy
King Salmon

I have looked at them. My mother had one years ago.
I think the issue is what do you expect?

Most of the ones I saw ( Old) used a sweeper blade to pick up larger stuff. Seemed to do well. Did not work on cat hair.
I am not sure about dog hair. I would say no for some of the older model - But it looking at the TV adds - maybe they are better now.

Buy one from a place you can take it back

Last edited by sadiesassy; 12-05-2018 at 07:25 PM.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
LMFAO. You sir just talked me out of buying one. I'll wait until the T800 model comes out. HASTA LA VISTA, DOOKIE.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
copycat
Tuna!

Mine works great! it’s wifi so i can vacuum from anywhere anytime so when my wife asks what I’m doing it always vacuuming, win win!!
copycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #7
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Quote:
OMG I won't be able to get the visual of that out of my head for a long time.
I'll probably have bad dreams or I'll be smelling something that isn't there.
I don't think I'll ever be able to look at a puppy the same way again or one of those robot vacuum cleaners.
My life will never be the same

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
TheTexan
Tuna!

We've had one for a couple of years. It was a gift from my mom and my wife loves it. I set it to automatic and it runs around noon every couple of days. We were amazed at the dirt it was picking up. It vacuums under furniture and under beds in places a hand vacuum can't reach. The only thing that we don't like is occasionally it will get stuck somewhere and run out of charge, then it's a game of hide and seek to find the Roomba. They are time savers and we still run the upright vacuum once a month or so.
TheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Let me tell ya a little story! ,.....................
Old 12-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #10
s10swany
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Hog or Die View Post

We have one of the lower end Eufy robot vacuums. We love it. But we usually don't have it on automatic. Just push the button to start it and make sure electrical chords and stuff are out of the way (including pet poop). Vacuuming takes a minute or two of our time instead of a more than half an hour, or whatever it took before. The floors get vacuumed a lot more because of it. Can't wait until all cleaning is done with robots.
I'll second the Eufy. We have the 11s and we are very happy with it. Very quite and does a real good job.
s10swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #11
Modest_Man
Tuna!

I bought one over Thanksgiving weekend when it was on sale. The 690. We have a half lab half border collie who has a dog door with free access to the back yard and two kids under 5. This thing is amazing. I have been running it every night and it is still having a full bin every morning. It does amazingly well with the dog hair. We have tile, hardwood, and carpet and it works well on all three. We have a large rug that is too tall for it to get on so I have to vacuum that still. It vacuums under the couches where dog hair and dust were badly accumulating.

It takes a couple weeks to get the floor plan figured out, and we did have a couple issues with it getting stuck until we figured out what we needed to move (curtains). I need to figure out how to keep it away from the Christmas Tree skirt.

My only gripe is that is is loud on the tile. I wanted to run it while we slept but it is too loud for that. I run it after the kids go to bed but before I go to sleep. The best part is the kids are excited to turn it on but everything needs to be off the floor so they are cleaning up so they can turn it on.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask, so far I love it, especially for the dog hair.
Modest_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #12
Fishfeet
King Salmon

HMMMMM?
We haven't procured one yet! But young niece and other people tell me, that their animals are
freezing this time of year!
Seems as though they've been vacuumed in their sleep! on more than one occasion!
But the up side is..... no more fur on the carpet or in their oatmeal in the mornings!
A little give and take it sounds to me!!
Please advise?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #13
big foot
Chromer

Have used one for about a year . 1 dog and 1 cat , Turn it on every other day for about 1 hour between regular house cleaning . Can not believe the hair and dirt it picks up that I did not think we had . You do have to remove some trouble items that causes it to get stuck but you soon learn the trouble spots .It well miss some spots but for the most part it does a good job .
big foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #14
crispycritter
Steelhead

Just bought one at Costco today for my wife who doesn't vacuum any more,
I'm sure I will like it.
crispycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:48 AM   #15
Sparky of SoCal
Steelhead

My mom bought one shortly after husband died. She named it after him. Doug the vacuum is just like Doug here late husband. In the way and under foot. She does like the way it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sparky of SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #16
PHT1950
Chromer

We have had one for a year and a half. Two dogs one cat and 3,400sqft of laminate floors works great. Picks up 90% of the pet hair and most of the stuff that I drop on the floor.
PHT1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #17
flatman
King Salmon

or a few from garage sales and thrift stores that had dead batteries. just get new ones for cheap from amazon and back in business for less than 50 bucks for all the stuff.

they have to relearn your floor each time you vacuum but no big deal. only bad part is they are hard to clean and only hold so much. and hair gets wrapped around inside and takes more time to clean.

some new expensive ones are coming out with bags and bigger holding power.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #18
emora
Chromer

Wow! I didn’t expect so many responses this quick. I wasn’t sure how many people from the iFish community owned one either. I guess it kinda makes sense, a lot of us have dogs in the house. That or I’m behind the times. Thanks for all the great info and first hand experiences. We appreciate it. I think I’m sold on it. My wife will be happy. Now we just gotta figure out what model will work best fit us. Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #19
Sparky of SoCal
Steelhead

Quote:
Wow! I didn’t expect so many responses this quick. I wasn’t sure how many people from the iFish community owned one either. I guess it kinda makes sense, a lot of us have dogs in the house. That or I’m behind the times. Thanks for all the great info and first hand experiences. We appreciate it. I think I’m sold on it. My wife will be happy. Now we just gotta figure out what model will work best fit us. Thanks again!

Get what ever one she wants. That way if it turns out she decides later another model is what she wanted your hands are clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sparky of SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #20
zhavigo
Steelhead

I do not have a robot vacuum but have toyed with the idea buying one. I figured the robot vacuum would be cheaper than a wife.

After reading your thread I clicked on my email and Costco is having a special sale. (Valid through December 11, 2018) It so happens they have a robot vacuum on sale for $229. It is not a roomba, but in the description they say it specializes in pet hair. There is a roomba model $50 off.

Just go to Costco and search robot vacuum.

And just an FYI for anyone looking for LED shop lights Cosco has them on sell again.
I picked one up last time and really like it, comes with a motion sensor.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #21
n8r1
Steelhead

We have one. There are pros & cons.

Pros: it hooks up to wifi so you can tell it to vacuum from your smartphone no matter where you are. You can also program it to start/stop at specific times & days. There are also settings that only have it vacuum along the walls (where the hair mainly collects) or only thoroughly vacuum one room.

Cons: the dust collector is small and fills quickly, especially when pet hair is involved. You need to empty it after every use or it won't pick up very much the second cleaning. It's also loud. It drives me nuts when it's running while I'm home, because it bumps into walls, table legs, etc. It also takes up space when it's not running. You can't put it in a broom closet like a normal vacuum; it needs to be out in the open so it can start going when you want it to.

My wife loves it. I'm lukewarm on it.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #22
Wingdam
Tuna!

We have one and love it. I run it 3 times per week. Like others have said, the amount of hair and dirt it picks up is amazing. I never thought the floors got that dirty that fast. Mine has never got stuck. I thought it wouldn't run under the dining room table with the chairs in place but it does incredibly. Mines the 960 WiFi model with the app that allows you to program cleanings or start/stop automatically, receive alerts when its full, and when it's finished. On the day's its programmed to run, I will move furniture it cant get under and sweep the dirt out into the open. I also pick up anything on the floor in it's way I can and place on the chairs/couch. It is however a little sensitive to being full. Not only do you need to empty it out frequently, it also needs the sensors cleaned with a damp sponge or cloth each time or it will report being full when it's not. Despite that it's still the best smart home appliance we own!
Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #23
Ichthyolic
Tuna!

So after reading through this thread, I did my due diligence since I'd like to buy one and the one which has the best ratings on Amazon (FWIW) is the one I will try.
"eufy Boost IQ RoboVac 11S (Slim), 1300Pa Strong Suction, Super Quiet, Self-Charging Robotic Vacuum Cleaner, Cleans Hard Floors to Medium-Pile Carpets"
Well it's all right, even if you're old and grey. Well it's all right, you still got something to say. Well it's all right, remember to live and let live. Well it's all right, the best you can do is forgive. End of the Line-The Traveling Wilburys
Ichthyolic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #24
gone2hunt
Steelhead

We are on version number 2 (for us) of the Roomba. We loved our first one and were sad when we had to send him in for scrap and get an updated version.

Our home is shared with a Springer Spaniel that deposits plenty of hair on the hardwoods and the area rugs. Both of our little robots have picked up amazing amounts of the dogs hair plus all of the other things a floor will collect...we keep our wood stove going nearly all fall, winter, and early spring. Maybe more stuff on the floor..?

We give two thumbs up for the work they do 3 or 4 days a week. They certainly don't replace the cleaning of good big vacuuming session that my wife will do each week or so, but they are well worth the money in our opinion and we will continue to be Roomba customers until newer technology passes them by.

They do at times close themselves in rooms by pushing doors shut while busily wandering about their business. In those cases they work that room over and over until their battery runs out. We have them programmed to run while the wife is at work and I am hunting, fishing, crabbing, clamming, or doing other important retirement duties.
gone2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #25
emora
Chromer

I like to try and update the few threads I started when possible. I want to start by saying thanks again for all the great feedback. And my wife is especially grateful because after reading all the replies I was pretty much convinced on buying a robovac that she was asking for.
Its been a few weeks now with our new vacuum. After doing some research and reading reviews etc. I decided to buy the Eufy RoboVac 30C. (Thanks Ichthyolic for mentioning this brand). I could've saved $30 by getting the model without the wifi but I didnt want to regret not getting it. FWIW, we haven't used the app yet to control the vac. Just the remote. We are extremely happy with it. Very happy. It is amazing how much hair and dirt etc. this thing picks up. We still cant believe that there is as much crap on the floor as there is. 2 dogs and 2 kids will do that I guess.
The 2 main reasons I chose this make and model over a Roomba is this one is slimmer and quieter than a comparable Roomba. That being said, Im sure we would've been just as happy with a Roomba. No brand loyalty here.
I usually get home before my wife so I start the vac on auto in the main living area while I do my thing. Every few days I'll have the boy set all our dinner table chairs and stools on the table and countertop so the vac could clean under there. And every few days we'll throw it in the bedrooms and close the door for about 30 minutes. Its kinda a exciting to see how much crap it picked up on any particular day. Anyways, thanks again everyone. Cleaner home, happy wife, happy life.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #26
Ichthyolic
Tuna!

Thanks emora for the update!
I was going to buy one but finances have changed in our household - roomie just got laid off. I do plan on buying one in the future, but for now, the roomie has time to do the vacuuming........
Well it's all right, even if you're old and grey. Well it's all right, you still got something to say. Well it's all right, remember to live and let live. Well it's all right, the best you can do is forgive. End of the Line-The Traveling Wilburys
Ichthyolic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #27
positize
Sturgeon

We threw ours away. Was a neat toy, but like most toys, it got ignored after a year or so.

Between the ruccus it makes while it is running (I work from home - really disliked it), the need to clean out its small dust bin every day, it's tendency to fall down stairs, and getting wedged under furniture that just happens to be the same height as the Roomba, my wife and I both decided to just stick with the Swiffer and vacuum. Swiffer does a better job on our hardwood floors than the Roomba anyhow.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #28
Fishing Dear
Tuna!

I think this is the same model our kids got us for Christmas, it has three speeds but I like the remote control, you can use the arrow keys to harass pets if you like but you do need to empty every time out, our black lab fills the little guy every time and this is after the wife uses her walk behind.

Quote:
I like to try and update the few threads I started when possible. I want to start by saying thanks again for all the great feedback. And my wife is especially grateful because after reading all the replies I was pretty much convinced on buying a robovac that she was asking for.
Its been a few weeks now with our new vacuum. After doing some research and reading reviews etc. I decided to buy the Eufy RoboVac 30C. (Thanks Ichthyolic for mentioning this brand). I could've saved $30 by getting the model without the wifi but I didnt want to regret not getting it. FWIW, we haven't used the app yet to control the vac. Just the remote. We are extremely happy with it. Very happy. It is amazing how much hair and dirt etc. this thing picks up. We still cant believe that there is as much crap on the floor as there is. 2 dogs and 2 kids will do that I guess.
The 2 main reasons I chose this make and model over a Roomba is this one is slimmer and quieter than a comparable Roomba. That being said, Im sure we would've been just as happy with a Roomba. No brand loyalty here.
I usually get home before my wife so I start the vac on auto in the main living area while I do my thing. Every few days I'll have the boy set all our dinner table chairs and stools on the table and countertop so the vac could clean under there. And every few days we'll throw it in the bedrooms and close the door for about 30 minutes. Its kinda a exciting to see how much crap it picked up on any particular day. Anyways, thanks again everyone. Cleaner home, happy wife, happy life.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #29
Fishfeet
King Salmon

OK folks. Time to bring back this thread.
Wifey just got done vacuuming the casa, and I was cleaning gutters.
We sat on the patio, and she sez, "I want a robo vacuum for Christmas".
YAY. Now I know what to get. (Not a good shopper here).
SO. It sounds like the eufy Boost IQ 11s might be the answer?
Gonna be before Christmas though.
Best prices? (Under $500?). Best operation? Don't need wi-fy.
All advice mucho appreciated.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #30
Rhomer
Steelhead

Quote:
OK folks. Time to bring back this thread.
Wifey just got done vacuuming the casa, and I was cleaning gutters.
We sat on the patio, and she sez, "I want a robo vacuum for Christmas".
YAY. Now I know what to get. (Not a good shopper here).
SO. It sounds like the eufy Boost IQ 11s might be the answer?
Gonna be before Christmas though.
Best prices? (Under $500?). Best operation? Don't need wi-fy.
All advice mucho appreciated.
Tell her you will get her the robo vac if she gets you gutter guards
Rhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #31
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhomer View Post
Tell her you will get her the robo vac if she gets you gutter guards
Heh heh. Thanks for the advice.
But then I'll owe her another Christmas gift.

I just purchased a ladder.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:39 AM   #32
IIonPilgrimg
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by positize View Post
We threw ours away. Was a neat toy, but like most toys, it got ignored after a year or so.

Between the ruccus it makes while it is running (I work from home - really disliked it), the need to clean out its small dust bin every day, it's tendency to fall down stairs, and getting wedged under furniture that just happens to be the same height as the Roomba, my wife and I both decided to just stick with the Swiffer and vacuum. Swiffer does a better job on our hardwood floors than the Roomba anyhow.
I prefer my Labrador, who sheds like fall. Meet her and you'll agree.

Roomba's have no personality.
IIonPilgrimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #33
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Kinda cool if you could train it to chase the cat.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #34
Joe C
King Salmon

Bought mine at Costco, it picked up a lot of pet hair off of the hardwood over the last 9 months. Started getting pretty beat up and not finding it's way back to the charger.

Took it back to Costco and got a brand new one yesterday.

I might be back there in another nine months. Works for me.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #35
Williams
Ifish Nate

I’ll have to give this a try. MIL was over for dinner,she leaves pet hair everywhere.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #36
fishrepellor
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Bought mine at Costco, it picked up a lot of pet hair off of the hardwood over the last 9 months. Started getting pretty beat up and not finding it's way back to the charger.

Took it back to Costco and got a brand new one yesterday.

I might be back there in another nine months. Works for me.
Depending on how big the area and layout of your house that it's vacuuming. It can run out of battery before finding it's home. With the layout of my house, it would get "lost" most of the time. But this is an older model. It had a habit of getting wedged under this armoire that was the imperfect height for it.
Mine knocked over a couple of vases too that were on little decorative tables.

Luckily, the battery went bad from not charging it enough. so no more ROOMBA
fishrepellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #37
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams View Post
I’ll have to give this a try. MIL was over for dinner,she leaves pet hair everywhere.
A shedder huh?
Think my 90 y/o MIL is the same way.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #38
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Does she know you call her a pet? I suppose wearing a collar sort of gives it away.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #39
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Does she know you call her a pet? I suppose wearing a collar sort of gives it away.
Spiked collar?
Old 09-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #40
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams View Post
But you have to admit she keeps her beard nicely trimmed.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #41
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
But you have to admit she keeps her beard nicely trimmed.
Sick puppy.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #42
gettin' fishy
Ifish Nate

Just make sure if you have pets they don't have any accidents in the house. Have a friend who's Rumba spread a dog mess over their whole living room.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #43
Shanel
Tuna!

Quote:
We got the Roomba package Costco had at Christmas time, it works great. We have two dogs that are inside when we are home and it keeps up with them pretty good. Its scheduled to run daily. Make sure you keep the filter clean or replaced and it works great, not so much if you don't. Order the filters from China on Amazon, 12 pack for cheap but take a month to get. Look at the different models, the one we got was recommended for dog hair.
Shanel is offline   Reply With Quote