CR Marine Area #1 Reports - Page 4 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-13-2019, 12:30 AM   #181
OregonSteel
Tuna!

Default Re: CR Marine Area #1 Reports

So..... do ya'll still think we are getting 600K coho back this year? Seems like fishing should be better with that many staging outside. My doubts are growing.... might be similar to what happened last year.

OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 04:39 AM   #182
DogZilla15
King Salmon

There are a lot more fish than last year. They get scattered as bait moves around plus water currents and temperature. Don’t forget the moon phase affecting the bite.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #183
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonSteel View Post
So..... do ya'll still think we are getting 600K coho back this year? Seems like fishing should be better with that many staging outside. My doubts are growing.... might be similar to what happened last year.
I think we'll be close to prediction. There are fish all over, they just aren't all balled up tight for easy pickings just yet. They are getting closer though, and yesterday they were stuffed full of feed. It's about to go crazy wide open just outside, and we should start seeing more coho in the river with each tide.
Big Game Fishing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #184
Bloomy
Steelhead

I agree the fish are there, Friday we had 4 people on board and got our fish but had to work for them south of the CR. Numerous times we would reel in and have one or two fish following it but no matter what we did we couldn't get them to bite. (we changed flashers, bait, no flasher it didn't seem to matter) I think it was too calm if that's possible. Same story on Saturday, 5 pob and we got our fish by 1pm. It seemed the fleet kept going way southwest but we hit a pod of fish and just kept going back through them until we got them fishing all by ourselves. My gps looked like a my daughter had drew on it. Sunday was choppy and that helped I think. We got our limit with 4 on board by 8:30am. The bites were much more aggressive in that choppy water. All were caught southwest of cr in 275 feet.
Bloomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #185
smoky
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomy View Post
I agree the fish are there, Friday we had 4 people on board and got our fish but had to work for them south of the CR. Numerous times we would reel in and have one or two fish following it but no matter what we did we couldn't get them to bite. (we changed flashers, bait, no flasher it didn't seem to matter) I think it was too calm if that's possible. Same story on Saturday, 5 pob and we got our fish by 1pm. It seemed the fleet kept going way southwest but we hit a pod of fish and just kept going back through them until we got them fishing all by ourselves. My gps looked like a my daughter had drew on it. Sunday was choppy and that helped I think. We got our limit with 4 on board by 8:30am. The bites were much more aggressive in that choppy water. All were caught southwest of cr in 275 feet.
Start a mile sw of Cr and keep going sw. 240-280 fow. Chovies with green old school flashers. Number on line counter did not matter. Fish would hit the rod at 15’ and then go hammer the rod at 30’. 16 oz lead. I do not pay as much attention to speed as others. If my lines are at a good angle and straight off the sterns I’m fishing.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #186
Highbank101
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomy View Post
Start a mile sw of Cr and keep going sw. 240-280 fow. Chovies with green old school flashers. Number on line counter did not matter. Fish would hit the rod at 15’️ and then go hammer the rod at 30’️. 16 oz lead. I do not pay as much attention to speed as others. If my lines are at a good angle and straight off the sterns I’️m fishing.

Awesome report. I’ll be out tomorrow and Thursday.
Do you prefer lead over divers?
Highbank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #187
Highbank101
Cutthroat

For those of you that run herring for the kings and silvers do you prefer to cut plug or run whole in the ocean?
Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #188
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbank101 View Post
For those of you that run herring for the kings and silvers do you prefer to cut plug or run whole in the ocean?

#1 preferred ocean Bait is Anchovies . Yes herring work and my preference would be Cut Plug. Tight spin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derrick454@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #189
[email protected]
Tuna!

I think fishing should get better and the fish are definitely scattered and the Sw wind Sunday didn’t help. I fished small windows of time to the north and was pretty much alone and caught but it wasn’t doubles and triples that’s for sure. One at a time!!

Old 08-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #190
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
Awesome report. I’ll be out tomorrow and Thursday.
Do you prefer lead over divers?

I was a % Diver user for over 20 years but now I just run 16 oz of lead and bait. Sometimes if bite is slow I run a flasher. I still carry Divers but just don’t like switching back and forth cause I also fish the river a lot. Also Divers work much better w Mono and all my rods have braid.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:57 AM   #191
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was a % Diver user for over 20 years but now I just run 16 oz of lead and bait. Sometimes if bite is slow I run a flasher. I still carry Divers but just don’t like switching back and forth cause I also fish the river a lot. Also Divers work much better w Mono and all my rods have braid.

When my daughter was 7 I use to run an " old school" set up with a banana sinker on swivel chain and no flash. I would put it out far behind the boat and tell her she could reel the fish up all by herself without dad or brother help. Her pull went off multilple times and always had the bigger fish swimming below. Now I Ask the question why not have one rod always fishing this way when more folks on board? Simple works.
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:59 AM   #192
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I’m the oddball I guess. Never understood the need for 16 ounces when fishing 20 ft down??? Bait doesn’t need to be right under the boat. Four or six ounces and 50 feet behind the boat catches fish just fine. Someone convince me I’ve always done it wrong.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #193
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I’m the oddball I guess. Never understood the need for 16 ounces when fishing 20 ft down??? Bait doesn’t need to be right under the boat. Four or six ounces and 50 feet behind the boat catches fish just fine. Someone convince me I’ve always done it wrong.
I run 16s in the river when it's crowded and I have 4+ rods fishing. But out on the ocean, never saw a point.
Bobber Downey Jr. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #194
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Same here. The river does at times require 16 but if I don’t need it, I’ll run 12.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #195
zueth
Tuna!

We fished yesterday, never a great bite but got bit all day. we ended up landing 15 fish for 3 hatchery coho.

Fish seem to be spread out we caught them at every location we tried.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #196
smoky
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Just preference. Old habits die hard. Most are using 10. I can control the angle of my line with heavier lead if current is strong.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #197
[email protected]
Tuna!

Default CR Marine Area #1 Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
Just preference. Old habits die hard. Most are using 10. I can control the angle of my line with heavier lead if current is strong.

I6 oz is just my preference and yep a little heavy for Coho on the outside but that’s mainly what my boat is stocked with in August. I can control the lines better and I don’t like the horizontal line angles of the light lead. Plus sometimes I opt for fishing deeper. We have picked up 2 Nice Ocean Chinook down deep with heavy lead

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-14-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #198
[email protected]
Tuna!

16 OZ dredging the bottom worked for these lovely ladies. man I need to get back to the coast !!!!

Old 08-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #199
SoylentGreen
Ifish Nate

Nobody made it out today?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
SoylentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:12 AM   #200
Soulakala
King Salmon

Im spending tomorrow on the river trying to find the grandkids some fish battle time. I plan on being skipper and deck boy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:03 AM   #201
Danny Mailey
Fry

Boy, the reports from the ocean have been few and far between. What's happening out There?
My boats in the shop but should be ready to go mid-week. Gotta get back down there.
Danny Mailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #202
no excuses
Tuna!

went out the 16th, crossed the bar around 0730 and started fishing at 8am and ran out to the CR buoy. Trolled SW to 265' with no love headed. Headed back toward the CR and picked up a nice 10-12# silver, bit it was a high finer so had to let it go. I ended up calling it quits around 11am and fished the S. jetty for about hr. Ended up with a couple sea bass for the mornings effort. It was really slow and only saw a couple nets flying. might head back out tomorrow.
no excuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #203
SoylentGreen
Ifish Nate

Also made it out on the 16th over a rough bar. Got into slow but steady action SW of the CR but they were ALL NATIVE. Had 12 fish to the boat to keep 2. Worst clip ratio I can remeber. Fun day, silvers are BIG now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2019, 10:53 PM   #204
CKthumper
Sturgeon

Heard a 3rd hand report that the charters were out 30 miles and "limiting by 8:30".
Old 08-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #205
DogZilla15
King Salmon

It would take me till 8:30 to get out 30 miles..... Not an early riser......

They will be here when it’s time.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #206
Jeb
Steelhead

Any reports for this weekend? Heading out tomorrow morning and was hoping for some intel given the free fishing weekend.
Any folks fishing around CR the last few days?

Thx

J
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #207
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

I was out there today. Waited until 10 for the incoming to start to cross the bar.

We fished quite a ways SW of the CR. Found quite a few fish, but only manged one hatchery fish for five rods and over a dozen to the boat.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #208
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKthumper View Post
Heard a 3rd hand report that the charters were out 30 miles and "limiting by 8:30".
Saw Coho charter and two others coming into Ilwaco at 3:15. To me thats pretty slow fishing. Watched the crew coming off the Coho king today with only one fish per person.

Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #209
Jeb
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
Saw Coho charter and two others coming into Ilwaco at 3:15. To me thats pretty slow fishing. Watched the crew coming off the Coho king today with only one fish per person.

Yikes. That is not promising....
Old 08-18-2019, 09:59 PM   #210
copycat
Tuna!

We got our 6 at the 400 foot line had to work for them and lots with too many fins, the fish where the fleet was west of the CR were barely 16 inches so we went west and found some with size and no fins but was very a long day!
copycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #211
Clamman
Tuna!

Talked to a charter owner this weekend and he said he was out almost 20 miles to get his fish. That’s a long ways out for coho!

Clam
Clamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #212
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamman View Post
Talked to a charter owner this weekend and he said he was out almost 20 miles to get his fish. That’s a long ways out for coho!

Clam
Sounds about right, I checked my gps and we were about 18mi out yesterday. Makes me with I had just took my tuna gear and gone another 10-15 mi for a better meat payout.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #213
SoylentGreen
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber Downey Jr. View Post
Makes me with I had just took my tuna gear and gone another 10-15 mi for a better meat payout.
Right. Another 10 miles and into Tuna!
Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #214
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

Natives seem to be winning the hook ups this year. Why the shortage of hatchery hits is still a guess. Sea temps have been high and I have to wonder if they're sensitive to that or the moon phase or both. My visit with NVS this morning had interesting temperature variations which goes along with reports the salmon are out in the cooler pockets of deep water. Forage has to be out there too I suspect.

I'm prepared for an epic B run and can hardly wait. The longer they wait outside and get fat the better the fishing will be in a few more weeks, maybe a month.

I hope I'm not disappointed with forcasted returns being bunk. Hatchery fish usually come in before natives and.... well... that's not been the case SO FAR! They gotta come, it's just a matter of when.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #215
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

I know this has been discussed already, and I'm mostly optimistic that those on here aren't as problematic for this as those I'm seeing on the water. But the little I fished around the fleet out there, I saw way too many wild fish mishandled and turned in to floaters. Saw one of those bigger cabin cruisers that sits way off the water in the stern net a fish, haul it all the way up to the deck, and take well over a minute of it flopping/rolling on the rail in the net before they tossed it overboard to the birds. Can't stand seeing that stuff. I saw multiple floaters being pecked at by the birds while we fished.

Handle these fish as little as possible. Coho are remarkably easy to kill by handling even a little bit, especially due to their habits of thrashing and rolling.

Last edited by Bobber Downey Jr.; 08-19-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #216
JD77
Ifish Nate

I hate to be the Debbie downer on the coho but something isn’t quite adding up in my mind. Shouldn’t we be seeing absolutely epic coho fishing off the CR as the fish stage to come in? Instead it sounds like scrath fishing with mostly non limits and some really really tiny salmon. I still see pictures of 3-4 pound cohos all around the web and guide pages. Yes I get that the water is too warm maybe but the whales and birds seem to indicate plenty of food. Many ocean fishermen and experiences ones are saying the fish at other Oregon ports have disappeared. Sure there are some exceptions but lots of non limits. I hope very much I am wrong. I want to catch some of these and don’t have an ocean boat. Maybe they are still coming?
JD77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #217
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD77 View Post
I hate to be the Debbie downer on the coho but something isn’t quite adding up in my mind. Shouldn’t we be seeing absolutely epic coho fishing off the CR as the fish stage to come in? Instead it sounds like scrath fishing with mostly non limits and some really really tiny salmon. I still see pictures of 3-4 pound cohos all around the web and guide pages. Yes I get that the water is too warm maybe but the whales and birds seem to indicate plenty of food. Many ocean fishermen and experiences ones are saying the fish at other Oregon ports have disappeared. Sure there are some exceptions but lots of non limits. I hope very much I am wrong. I want to catch some of these and don’t have an ocean boat. Maybe they are still coming?
I guess I am only stating the obvious from the recent reports, but perhaps the coho are staging or feeding much further out than is usually the case because they are finding better conditions out there than at the usual near shore waters.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #218
flatocean
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD77 View Post
Agree, Hatchery coho seems small and immature for this time of year.
flatocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #219
JD77
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksalmon View Post
I guess I am only stating the obvious from the recent reports, but perhaps the coho are staging or feeding much further out than is usually the case because they are finding better conditions out there than at the usual near shore waters.
And you know how badly I want to be wrong!
JD77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #220
adrenaline
King Salmon

Perhaps the warm water is effecting the salmons migration pattern? it's been a couple decades since I fished off the Col, back than buoy 10 to buoy 2 was as far as you needed to travel, never did we go 10+ miles to find salmon, the 3 days we fished for salmon 8-7, 8-9 & 8-10 each day we went further & further to find salmon, should of been the other way around, coho size is a bit of a mystery for sure, as they should be putting on a pound every 2 week, they are a little bigger than at the start of the season, but not as much as expected, it's been a great but strange year overall.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #221
just ducky
Steelhead

The Coho are out just as people are saying a long ways off shore. If you are willing to venture out further you will find them in decent numbers. The rule of thumb for us has been if your catching a majority of natives then move away from that area. Check the size of the eggs in the Coho and they are no where near enough ready to come into the river. Good luck out there.
just ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #222
Jeb
Steelhead

We were out there today till late afternoon. Like everyone said, its work to get the fish. We almost limited out; for the 4 of us, we were a couple shy...several natives we had to release and several lost. But we were 6 miles West of the CR. Around the CR we were catching very small fish and the ones we hooked were natives. We had to move farther west to get into hatchery fish and they were bigger.

Water is kind of warm out there too; 66 degrees 5 miles west of CR. I don't recall it being that warm there...

-J
Old 08-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #223
mainer
Chromer

Default CR Marine Area #1 Reports

If I am reading the WA regs correctly in the ocean you can still keeps Kings in MA1 until 9/30?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	729291
Old 08-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #224
Cachalot
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer View Post
If I am reading the WA regs correctly in the ocean you can still keeps Kings in MA1 until 9/30?Attachment 729291
That's the way I understand it.

The quota numbers were just posted today. We've caught 59% of the quota for silvers and 49% of the guideline for chinook. We only burned through 8% of the silver quota in the most recent week (8/12 - 18), compared to 14% in the previous week. I think it's looking good for a complete season this year.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports/...columbia-river

Last edited by Cachalot; 08-21-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #225
Highbank101
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachalot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer View Post
If I am reading the WA regs correctly in the ocean you can still keeps Kings in MA1 until 9/30?Attachment 729291
That's the way I understand it.

The quota numbers were just posted today. We've caught 59% of the quota for silvers and 49% of the guideline for chinook. We only burned through 8% of the silver quota in the most recent week (8/12 - 18), compared to 14% in the previous week. I think it's looking good for a complete season this year. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/smile1.gif[/IMG]

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports/...columbia-river

They say we’ve got 59% of the quote for silvers yet they don’t even count the fish when we come in lol
Each of the 4 trips I’ve made out of Ilwaco when coming back they ask if we have any chinook and that’s it. I say, nope just coho and they don’t even want to see them. So how they figure 59% of the quota when they don’t even check the fish lol
I’m sure in all reality 150% of the quota has been caught.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #226
Pirate
Ifish Nate

Red face Re: CR Marine Area #1 Reports

150% of quota??....no way...
Old 08-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #227
Highbank101
Cutthroat

I bet the quota would be 100% filled at a minimum if they actually checked the fish and reported them when they came in. 59% is absolutely a BS number! Each time I’ve cane into the dock 30+ fish go unchecked and that’s just from the boats that are at the dock st that given time. Imagine how many hundreds or thousands are not checked.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #228
[email protected]
Tuna!

I moor in Chinook and have seen up to 2 checkers working those docks at the same time. I have been checked but I mainly fish the river. I remember when I moored in Ilwaco and never got checked the whole season

Old 08-22-2019, 05:40 AM   #229
CKthumper
Sturgeon

All they need is a count of boats and the average number of fish per boat to get an estimate.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #230
apelily
Chromer

Quote:
They say we’ve got 59% of the quote for silvers yet they don’t even count the fish when we come in lol
Each of the 4 trips I’ve made out of Ilwaco when coming back they ask if we have any chinook and that’s it. I say, nope just coho and they don’t even want to see them. So how they figure 59% of the quota when they don’t even check the fish lol
Funny how you are so sure. Just because your fish didnt actually get counted does not mean it didnt go against the quota. They can count the boats and extrapolate the number of fish caught. With the advent of the app they can also track what is caught when electronically tagged. I imagine they can also know when you are on the water fishing thru the oregon app thru gps.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #231
SoylentGreen
Ifish Nate

Quote:
All they need is a count of boats and the average number of fish per boat to get an estimate.
this very simple point is often overlooked (great example above). "But they didn't check ME!!"
Old 08-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #232
RWTIII
Tuna!

Quote:
You should stop fishing immediately.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #233
robby
Steelhead

Friends from Kennewick down 3 pob. Took a look at the bar crossed at about 6:30. Started at buoy 2 with 1 missed strike. Moved to buoy 3 trolling west found a rip 2 keepers in the box. We would run north troll south along the rip finished with a limit of salmon with 1 16 lb chinook in the mix. Only released a couple of wild fish. Back to the dock about 12:30 before the wind really got going. Fun times were had by all. We fished buoy 10 together 35 years ago camping at the state park outside Illwaco. Awesome weekend.

robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:54 AM   #234
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Friends from Kennewick down 3 pob. Took a look at the bar crossed at about 6:30. Started at buoy 2 with 1 missed strike. Moved to buoy 3 trolling west found a rip 2 keepers in the box. We would run north troll south along the rip finished with a limit of salmon with 1 16 lb chinook in the mix. Only released a couple of wild fish. Back to the dock about 12:30 before the wind really got going. Fun times were had by all. We fished buoy 10 together 35 years ago camping at the state park outside Illwaco. Awesome weekend.

Nice job. Fish are closer . Thanks for the report.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #235
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Maybe someone can help me understand the logic of this statement about estimating, instead of doing an actual count. If a fish checker is on duty, then instead of extrapolating, use the fish checker to check each and every boat and get an actual count, instead of an extrapolated, or estimated one. It can't be that hard to get an actual count when the checkers are on duty. If they are not on duty, then there is no way to count boats, so there can be no estimate anyway when the checkers are not on duty.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #236
TyBoo
Steelhead

Imagine how much the licensing and other fees would go up if they hired enough people to physically count every fish on every boat and every bank pole. Plus, it would cause an even bigger jam up at the boat ramps and docks if every fisherman had to wait to be checked before getting out of the way. Averaging is fine by me and math can actuality be pretty accurate.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #237
Clamman
Tuna!

Quote:
Maybe someone can help me understand the logic of this statement about estimating, instead of doing an actual count. If a fish checker is on duty, then instead of extrapolating, use the fish checker to check each and every boat and get an actual count, instead of an extrapolated, or estimated one. It can't be that hard to get an actual count when the checkers are on duty. If they are not on duty, then there is no way to count boats, so there can be no estimate anyway when the checkers are not on duty.
Fish and wildlife management is dictated by statistical estimates. As stated above, the amount of funding needed to sample every boat or bank angler is far from cost effective. Way to many entry points to effectively cover them all and some have limited use. There are recreational boats launching off of Clatsop beach but it’s maybe 6-8 on a good day. Should a fish checker spend all day for those few boats or go to Hammond where multitudes more are fishing and in the same ocean? Then you have the issue of non-boat anglers. Take for instance bank anglers, a fish checker would need to be on the bank from the time the first person came to the last person left every day of the season to ensure that every fish is accounted for since you cannot predict when any individual angler gets a fish and leaves.

It all comes down to cost benefit ratio but statistically sampling and the models used can and are pretty darn accurate for a dynamic fishery such as ocean salmon or Columbia River fisheries.

Clam
Clamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #238
bendavis
Tuna!

statistics work. solong as you use a quality system with a big enough sample size
you marine of error isn't really any different than that of a manual count. its the right way to do it.

Quote:
bendavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #239
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamman View Post
Fish and wildlife management is dictated by statistical estimates. As stated above, the amount of funding needed to sample every boat or bank angler is far from cost effective. Way to many entry points to effectively cover them all and some have limited use. There are recreational boats launching off of Clatsop beach but it’s maybe 6-8 on a good day. Should a fish checker spend all day for those few boats or go to Hammond where multitudes more are fishing and in the same ocean? Then you have the issue of non-boat anglers. Take for instance bank anglers, a fish checker would need to be on the bank from the time the first person came to the last person left every day of the season to ensure that every fish is accounted for since you cannot predict when any individual angler gets a fish and leaves.

It all comes down to cost benefit ratio but statistically sampling and the models used can and are pretty darn accurate for a dynamic fishery such as ocean salmon or Columbia River fisheries.

Clam
I understand what you are saying. But, I was only referring to those places where checkers are actually on duty, not hiring more for more places. When they are on duty, it seems to me they should be asking each boat what they caught and take a look, if necessary. That does not take that long. Then go ahead and estimate the rest. But, to have a checker on duty that does not check all boats that come in where he/she is working does not make sense to me. It is not a big deal, though, for me.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #240
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. But, I was only referring to those places where checkers are actually on duty, not hiring more for more places. When they are on duty, it seems to me they should be asking each boat what they caught and take a look, if necessary. That does not take that long. Then go ahead and estimate the rest. But, to have a checker on duty that does not check all boats that come in where he/she is working does not make sense to me. It is not a big deal, though, for me.
You've obviously never witnessed the Hammond ramp at about 3 pm on an August weekend.

They often have 3 checkers on duty there and still can't keep up with all the boats trying to take out.

It's not an exact science, and we probably don't want them trying to make it one. It'll just bog down our experience even more and discourage more people from participating.
Big Game Fishing is online now   Reply With Quote