Karma is a petunia and she will get you - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 08-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
JMURPHY
Chromer

Default Karma is a petunia and she will get you

Note to the person that removed our blind from the water hole at 11:00 on Saturday
And then move it 100 yards out in the sage. Did it make you feel good to cut the tie
down strings? Or did you not know how to untie a knot.
We were camped on the hill and saw you do it, at first we thought you were going to
Steal it (that is why I got out the spotting scope and took down your license plate number)
Then you only moved it 100 yards, I guess you showed us who was boss. I really wanted to
Come down and confront you but it probably would not have turned out good for one of us.
I would hope in the future that you think about what you are doing, the next time you may
Not find someone that is as easy going as we are. My friend killed a nice goat that morning so
maybe we were just in a good mood….lol

ps. We got a really good photo of you on the trail cam.

Karma is a petunia and she will get you

JMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
Crayfin
Sturgeon

Default Re: Karma is a petunia and she will get you

AWESOME.....and I hope it does!
Crayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The drama is building.... Hope we hear more.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURPHY View Post
Note to the person that removed our blind from the water hole at 11:00 on Saturday
And then move it 100 yards out in the sage. Did it make you feel good to cut the tie
We were camped on the hill and saw you do it, at first we thought you were going to
Steal it (that is why I got out the spotting scope and took down your license plate number)
Then you only moved it 100 yards, I guess you showed us who was boss. I really wanted to
Come down and confront you but it probably would not have turned out good for one of us.
I would hope in the future that you think about what you are doing, the next time you may
Not find someone that is as easy going as we are. My friend killed a nice goat that morning so

Post their pics. Last I checked. A photo taken on public property has no right to privacy.

This type of garbage happens way too much, may be if this person thought he/she would be ridiculed publicly he /she would think twice before engaging in such behavior.

Last edited by wildwood; 08-12-2019 at 03:46 PM.
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
baltz526
King Salmon

Hunter harassment is a crime. OSP may be interested in the info.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

There’s some technicalities involving photographs. If the person is the subject of the photograph and the photo is used commercially, a photo release must be in place from the subject. In this case, you were photographing the waterhole and the subject(s) walked in front of the camera. Good to go. Up to them to prove otherwise. Watch your wording (purpose) when you post photos.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
Snapt
Super Moderator

From the ifish aup:
Posting pictures of people with the intent of seeking help in identifying them with the suggestion of accusing them of wrong doing has no place on Ifish. These matters are not for the "jury" of IFish to settle, but for law enforcement. The same goes for any suggestion of vigilante justice. Threads of this nature will be removed immediately.
Snapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
TrailBlazer
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapt View Post
From the ifish aup:
Posting pictures of people with the intent of seeking help in identifying them with the suggestion of accusing them of wrong doing has no place on Ifish. These matters are not for the "jury" of IFish to settle, but for law enforcement. The same goes for any suggestion of vigilante justice. Threads of this nature will be removed immediately.
Oh....snap(t)....

sorry couldnt help myself!
Old 08-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #9
444Marlin
Chromer

Weird stuff going on out there. It just doesn't make sense to move the blind.

Was it another hunter moving it so he could move his in there?
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #10
driven2fish
Ifish Nate

Sorry dude karma is not real. If they did something illegal report it that’s the only way “karma” is going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
driven2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #11
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

The world we live in.................

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #12
BrianMaguire
King Salmon

Is that illegal or just a jerk move - or both?
Old 08-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #13
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Not illegal, wasn't stolen. Just Not cool
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #14
DogZilla15
King Salmon

It was indeed stolen. He just didn’t maintain possession of it.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #15
RayandMandi
Tuna!

Vandalized at the least if he cut the cords

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
RayandMandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #16
desperatehills
Steelhead

If you don't call the police and turn him in you are part of the problem. They might not do much but knowing they got caught may prevent them from doing it again in the future. You were probalay right to not confront them, I'm not sure I could have shown that much restraint. Please call OSP.
desperatehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #17
Sneaker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatehills View Post
If you don't call the police and turn him in you are part of the problem. They might not do much but knowing they got caught may prevent them from doing it again in the future. You were probalay right to not confront them, I'm not sure I could have shown that much restraint. Please call OSP.
Great advice.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #18
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURPHY View Post

I talked to friend of mine that is an OSP Game officer. By your story I assumed that it was on public property. So that is what his answer below was based on. He did say that if this happened on private property, the landowner, landowner employee, or agent could remove the blind with no issues.

On public property if it were in his unit he would contact this individual and depending on the outcome of that contact he would decided how to proceed. However based strictly on your description, this person could be facing arrest or citation. He told me that there a few steps he would take as a responding officer. First he would make sure that this individual had a tag to be hunting in the unit. Next he would address with the person the actions you described.

When he cut all the lines he destroyed your private property, thus committing criminal mischief in the 3rd degree.

ORS 164.345 Criminal mischief in the third degree

(1) A person commits the crime of criminal mischief in the third degree if, with intent to cause substantial inconvenience to the owner or to another person, and having no right to do so nor reasonable ground to believe that the person has such right, the person tampers or interferes with property of another.

When he physically grabbed the blind and moved it, he took possession of the blind he committed theft. Depending on the cost of the blind it could be theft 3 ($100 or less) or 2 ($100 to $1,000).

Last edited by wildwood; 08-13-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #19
desperatehills
Steelhead

Don't act like this is no big deal, it is. Not only does it prevent him from doing it again, how many others will hear the story and and think twice before messing with someones stuff. Make the call.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #20
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2fish View Post
Sorry dude karma is not real.
Depends on one's belief system.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #21
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
Depends on one's belief system.
She absolutely is real, and she keep receipts.

Last edited by wildwood; 08-14-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #22
I-Builtit
Tuna!

So what are the rules for building and placing on public property? You can just do what you want?
I-Builtit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #23
Sneaker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Builtit View Post
So what are the rules for building and placing on public property? You can just do what you want?

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resource...d_brochure.pdf
Old 08-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #24
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Wow, that’s odd. Once you place a blind, you no longer own it. First come, first serve. The only right you have is to take it down.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #25
desperatehills
Steelhead

How awkward would that be. I couldn't imagine getting in someone else blind. I couldn't cut the cords and haul it out in the sage either
Old 08-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #26
444Marlin
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Wow, that’s odd. Once you place a blind, you no longer own it. First come, first serve. The only right you have is to take it down.
Yeah, 'Wow' is right. That's not going to help the confrontation out in the woods. I get enough of the "what for" look when I accidentally walk under some guys well-placed tree stand. I can't imagine if I said, "Hey,can let me know when you're down so I can use it next! THANKS!"

I typically mark tree stands and blinds on my GPS and try to keep a safe distance from them on future hunts. But if some guy parks his rig and sets his tent on the main logging road into an area, I'll walk through it.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #27
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post
As it pertains to the OP, the right to use of the blind does not give another hunter the right to cut the ties, move it, or remove it during the legal placement timeline. The only time that another person could "legally" remove it would be before or after the deadline at which time it is deemed litter.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #28
I-Builtit
Tuna!

I've come across guys who thought they owned the woods. Once I was driving on a road mind you, that cut through a clear cut and passed a hunter walking the road who proceeded to cuss me out and calling me a bad sportsman because he was hunting from the road!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #29
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

IMO it's important to follow-through on this and get the guy in as much trouble and possible, and yes, definitely publicly shamed (far worse than what LE can do, if done right).
My reasoning: this crap happens way too much and it's so rare that someone watches it happen, and has clear evidence. Gotta pounce and get the word out. You never know, you could be saving the hunt for a father and daughter in the future. Some guy could kill a booner that otherwise would've had his blind moved by an inbred, knuckle-dragging mouth-breather. Sorry to say this,. but it's kind of your obligation to your fellow hunters. I hope YOU kill a booner!!!

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #30
Mossyhorn
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
IMO it's important to follow-through on this and get the guy in as much trouble and possible, and yes, definitely publicly shamed (far worse than what LE can do, if done right). If ifish wants to sit on it's hands and be part of the problem, that's ifish's right, but other social media outlets are actually helpful and care about these issues. The key is that you know who the culprit is. You're not playing police or jury- you watched it happen. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
My reasoning: this crap happens way too much and it's so rare that someone watches it happen, and has clear evidence. Gotta pounce and get the word out. You never know, you could be saving the hunt for a father and daughter in the future. Some guy could kill a booner that otherwise would've had his blind moved by an inbred, knuckle-dragging mouth-breather. Sorry to say this,. but it's kind of your obligation to your fellow hunters. I hope YOU kill a booner!!!
I couldn't have said it better, Dave. JMURPHY, you posted this, can you follow up on it and give us some kind of conclusion?
Mossyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #31
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Very well said Dave, every word.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #32
switchback00
Tuna!

Quote:
IMO it's important to follow-through on this and get the guy in as much trouble and possible, and yes, definitely publicly shamed (far worse than what LE can do, if done right). If ifish wants to sit on it's hands and be part of the problem, that's ifish's right, but other social media outlets are actually helpful and care about these issues. The key is that you know who the culprit is. You're not playing police or jury- you watched it happen. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I can honestly say that I’ve seen the worst in hunters when antelope hunting than any other kind of hunting. Pretty pathetic and sad.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #33
Sneaker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback00 View Post

I can honestly say that I’ve seen the worst in hunters when antelope hunting than any other kind of hunting. Pretty pathetic and sad.

Why do you suppose that is?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:30 PM   #34
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post
Why do you suppose that is?
Lot's of opportunities to act up and wide open country for all to see.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #35
Amahnee
King Salmon

Or maybe because everyone has to wait 15 years to get an opportunity to hunt an antelope in this state?

Then again, humans are just humans. There are good ones and some not so good.
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #36
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

Unattended and on public property...fair game. I would of jumped in and sat there....did you have a note telling people that spot was reserved
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #37
Hun10-freak
Chromer

Great ethics.....
Hun10-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #38
Sneaker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapiteaser View Post
Unattended and on public property...fair game. I would of jumped in and sat there....did you have a note telling people that spot was reserved
Define “unattended.”

If someone isn’t in it an hour before dawn is it unattended? Thirty minutes? Where do you draw the line?

If you’re being funny my apologies, I don’t get humor sometimes.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:37 AM   #39
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Sneaker. I didn’t get it either. Excuse me if I was wrong. If I came across one, I’d leave the area as quickly as possible.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #40
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

Quote:
IMO it's important to follow-through on this and get the guy in as much trouble and possible, and yes, definitely publicly shamed (far worse than what LE can do, if done right).

This is spot on Dave.
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #41
desperatehills
Steelhead

Something else to consider. Is this a Fish and Game Crime or just criminal? Could the original poster get bonus points for turning them in?
Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #42
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Quote:
Is this the kind of world you want to live in? While you're sitting in someone's blind, someone else is stealing your truck. It was "unattended and on public property...fair game".

Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #43
switchback00
Tuna!

Quote:

Not quite

Old 08-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #44
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatehills View Post
Something else to consider. Is this a Fish and Game Crime or just criminal? Could the original poster get bonus points for turning them in?

I doubt it. If so, I’d go buy a dozen blinds and set them up with cameras on them
Old 08-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #45
444Marlin
Chromer

Quote:
Is this the kind of world you want to live in? While you're sitting in someone's blind, someone else is stealing your truck. It was "unattended and on public property...fair game".
Here's the kicker though...what if someone set up blinds at each of the watering holes in an area that you were hunting?? Do you put up your own blind on the same watering hole? Do you not hunt those areas? Or do you use an unused blind that is already set up?
Old 08-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #46
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444Marlin View Post
Here's the kicker though...what if someone set up blinds at each of the watering holes in an area that you were hunting?? Do you put up your own blind on the same watering hole? Do you not hunt those areas? Or do you use an unused blind that is already set up?

In my book, and I’m sure opinions will differ, who ever gets there first gets the spot. But in no circumstances, would I mess with or touch somebody else’s portable blind or treestand. I either hunker in the bushes or bring my own. I would never intentionally try to hunt a place that already has a stand, unless I have hunted it longer than the stand has been there. Either way, if they get there first, I’ll find somewhere else to hunt. If I’m there first, I expect the same.

Permenant blind on public land where allowed is different, I see that as public property. Maybe it’s my background from building duck blinds and hunting public land. I know if particular instances where a person made half dozen natural blinds (in heavily hunted areas) in the the NF then expected folks to move when he strolled in at first light. We didn’t get along very well...
Old 08-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #47
I-Builtit
Tuna!

I'm sorry, but I have a problem with people claiming public hunting spots as their own.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #48
EagleEye
Chromer

I know many years ago when I had the Hart Mountain tag there were a few individuals that put more than one blind up at different water holes. Hunt one on opening morning and if it did not pan out move onto the next one the next day. With limited water holes at times that becomes a problem. I hope that is not happening these days but I would not be surprised that it is still going on.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #49
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
I know many years ago when I had the Hart Mountain tag there were a few individuals that put more than one blind up at different water holes. Hunt one on opening morning and if it did not pan out move onto the next one the next day. With limited water holes at times that becomes a problem. I hope that is not happening these days but I would not be surprised that it is still going on.
Hart and Sheldon have a one blind limit. BLM does not, but probably should have a one or two blind limit. I've hunted Hart, Sheldon, and BLM. The refuges have much less chaos than BLM. DS

Old 08-20-2019, 04:32 AM   #50
kaseyfield
Tuna!

Quote:
It was indeed stolen. He just didn’t maintain possession of it.
Theft by definition in the ORS says you have to deprive the individual permanently... he didnt do that.. still a dick move though

Kasey
kaseyfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:30 AM   #51
EagleEye
Chromer

Quote:
Hart and Sheldon have a one blind limit. BLM does not, but probably should have a one or two blind limit. I've hunted Hart, Sheldon, and BLM. The refuges have much less chaos than BLM. DS
Dave I'm aware of that one blind limit at Hart but still you get those few that feel the rules do not apply to them. Especially if authorities are not spending the time to verify that blinds are placed with the proper information.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #52
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Thanks for the clarification Kasey.

The one blind per rifle/bow/hunter should be the limit state wide no matter who controls the property as long as the public has access. Private excluded with owners permission. All blinds should be tagged with the persons name and contact info, where it is visible on the outside. Blinds made from natural materials would be exempt.

Maybe it should be illegal to place portable blinds within 100 yards of water holes? Especially in rifle season. Maybe prohibited altogether in rifle season?
Old 08-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #53
kaseyfield
Tuna!

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Kasey.

The one blind per rifle/bow/hunter should be the limit state wide no matter who controls the property as long as the public has access. Private excluded with owners permission. All blinds should be tagged with the persons name and contact info, where it is visible on the outside. Blinds made from natural materials would be exempt.

Maybe it should be illegal to place portable blinds within 100 yards of water holes? Especially in rifle season. Maybe prohibited altogether in rifle season?
I agree with you.. should be theft... some of the laws are dumb lol.. I say take a hand first
kaseyfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #54
444Marlin
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaka Wacka View Post
.... But in no circumstances, would I mess with or touch somebody else’s portable blind or treestand. I either hunker in the bushes or bring my own. I would never intentionally try to hunt a place that already has a stand,...
I'm with you on that, and sometimes it seems that the person that has set it up feels a sense of ownership or exclusivity to that area. I understand and respect some folks put in a lot of time and effort to put up a stand, clear trails, set up cameras and scout an area. But some areas I hunt have a TON of stands and cameras - I'm not going to stay out of an area completely just because someone has a set up.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #55
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

I don't have a steak in the game but what if a guy has a spot and he is not there in his blind or stand and it's the only tree or Bush? Are you to move on and not hunt? I think pak in pak out each day. I know that may not work for goats but it seems fair. I wouldn't leave my stand on the only tree or next to the only Bush unless I was certain there weren't other hunters in the area. Common courtesy I think prevails

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #56
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Issues over waterhole crowding has cost Idaho bowhunters a lot of antelope opportunity, be careful what you wish for. On most BLM land, you can't dig pit blinds or build permanate, they strongly recommend pop ups. Law in Idaho is if you place it on public land, then anyone can use it. IMO, you would have to be a real Richard to use someone else's blind, but it can happen.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #57
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Put a couple of rattlesnakes in the blind and zip it up before you leave. Should be waiting for you when you return.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:58 AM   #58
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

You better beat me to the spot if you want to hunt it. Or we can meet up and discuss plans. Don't expect to "claim" a spot on public ground.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #59
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
You better beat me to the spot if you want to hunt it. Or we can meet up and discuss plans. Don't expect to "claim" a spot on public ground.
I agree a 100% .good call chuckardave

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #60
Hun10-freak
Chromer

In most hunting scenarios I agree but when there's a ground blind or a tree stand setup, man up and walk away. Have some common courtesy for a fellow hunter...
Hun10-freak is offline   Reply With Quote