Chanterelle Mushroom conserve - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 09-23-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
shanem
Ifish Nate

Default Chanterelle Mushroom conserve

Here’s a new recipe I recently tried and it came out really well. They are good on salads or warmed up in the skillet with a dish. I skipped the bay leaves and thyme and made a 5lb batch. I’ve not tried canning them, I know people do can them safely but the risk of botulism for me just isn’t worth it. Plus I like to quickly eat what I have so I can go pick more fresh ones. :-)

Chanterelle Conserve

From - https://foragerchef.com/fresh-wild-mushroom-conserve/

Yield: 1 qt canning jar*
Ingredients
* 2 lbs small, young chanterelles or other wild mushrooms
* 3 cloves (7 grams) garlic sliced thin
* 1/2 cup flavorless oil for sauteeing, such as grapeseed or canola
* 1/4 cup flavorful oil, such as extra virgin olive oil
* 2 teaspoons*(8 grams) kosher salt
* 1 cup water
* 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar*
* 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme
* 2 fresh bay leaves

Method
1. In a wide pan with high sides, or even a soup pot, gently heat the oil and the sliced garlic until the garlic begins to turn golden.
2. Add the mushrooms, salt and herbs, and allow the mushrooms to give up their juice and stop the garlic from getting too brown.
3. Once the mushrooms have wilted and given up their juice, add the water or court bouillon, then bring the mixture to a boil.
4. After the mixture comes to a boil, and add the vinegar and flavored oil of your choice. Season the liquid to taste with salt until it tastes nice.
5. Finally, put the conserve into a container and refrigerate. If you will be keeping the conserve for more than a few weeks, make sure to put plastic wrap on top of the conserve to keep the mushrooms under the liquid, other wise bacteria from the air might harm them. Under the liquid though they will keep for a very, very long time.

WILD MUSHROOM CONSERVE (RESTAURANT BATCH)*
Ingredients
* 5 lbs small, young hedgehog mushrooms or golden chanterelles
* 5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
* 1/2 cup flavorless oil for sauteeing, such as grapeseed or canola
* 1/2 cup flavorful oil, such as extra virgin olive oil
* 1 full tablespoon of kosher salt, or to taste
* 2 qts water or court bouillon
* 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
* 2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme
* 2 fresh bay leaves

Method
1. In a wide pan with high sides, or even a soup pot, gently heat the oil and the sliced garlic until the garlic begins to turn golden.
2. Add the mushrooms, salt and herbs, and allow the mushrooms to give up their juice and stop the garlic from getting too brown.
3. Once the mushrooms have wilted and given up their juice, add the water or court bouillon, then bring the mixture to a boil.
4. After the mixture comes to a boil, and add the vinegar and flavored oil of your choice. Season the liquid to taste with salt until it tastes nice.
5. Finally, put the conserve into a container and refrigerate. If you will be keeping the conserve for more than a few weeks, make sure to put plastic wrap on top of the conserve to keep the mushrooms under the liquid, other wise bacteria from the air might harm them. Under the liquid though they will keep for a very, very long time.

Shane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertisement