Looking To Buy a Rifled Slug Gun - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 07-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Default Looking To Buy a Rifled Slug Gun

Why? ... Because America!.. That's why.

Anyway, like the title says. I'm looking to buy a rifled slug gun in 12ga.

I have killed a handful of deer with a smooth bore shotgun, but I want to give the rifled slug gun a try.

I'd like to stay in $500 or less range (used is OK) and have the ability to reach out to ~200 yards.

So, from you guys who own them, what tips / pointers / suggestions can I learn from you?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Twitch
King Salmon

Default Re: Looking To Buy a Rifled Slug Gun

I just bought a rifled barrel for my Mossberg
Old 07-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
444Marlin
Tuna!

I've bought a rifled barrel for my Remington 870 many years ago off a table at a gun show for about $50. It came with sights. If I was to go with the set up, I'd likely try something where I could do a rail for a low power scope or red-dot.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post

That would be my preferred option, but my primary shotgun in an 11-87 chambered in 3.5" and they do not make a rifled barrel with a 3.5" tang .... So I'm "forced" to buy a whole new gun.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
SImudBogger
Brood stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxaaron03 View Post
That would be my preferred option, but my primary shotgun in an 11-87 chambered in 3.5" and they do not make a rifled barrel with a 3.5" tang .... So I'm "forced" to buy a whole new gun.
You could try a rifled choke tube. A big fat slug doesn’t need to spin very fast to stay stable.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
backpackhunter
Steelhead

Quote:
They did make a 3.5" rifled barrel for the 11-87, but am guessing it didn't sell well. It's on backorder here. No clue if it will ever exist again. If it's of interest in inquiring:
https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Product/...s/1042740?fs=1

I've never had a need for a rifled slug gun, so can't be of much help other than the link above. I'm just starting to load some slugs for my smooth barrel shotgun now. Otherwise, I use my muzzleloader if a unit doesn't allow modern firearm. My CVA Accura V2 has the NW legal breech plug and the BH209 plug....it's very accurate with a saboted bullet and Blackhorn 209 (I also hunt muzzleloader in WA, where that setup is now legal).
backpackhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
sprigdog
Chromer

Single shot H&R slug master. Couple hundred bucks and 1.5” groups at 100 yds. Probably weighs 9#.
sprigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #8
BlacktailBilly
Coho

I have an Ithaca Model 87 Featherweight Deerslayer, topped with a Nikon Slughunter 2 x 7. I shoot 2 3/4 Hornady 300 grain SST's and they only drop 12.5 inches at 200 yds. I've taken white tail bucks at 148, 165, 192, and 228 yds with it. It is a dedicated rifled barrel gun, no switch out with smooth bore type. I couldn't be happier with this combo for hunting in firearm restricted areas or in thick places. The pump action allows for a quick second shot. It did cost me a little more than what you mentioned...i gave 600 for the gun itself, used, but in pristine condition, and then bought the scope at Bass Pro. I call it my 12 gauge rifle.
BlacktailBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #9
BearHammer
Coho

I used to hunt coastal flats that were shotgun only. Look up Marlin Slugmaster. Bolt action slug guns.
BearHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #10
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SImudBogger View Post
You could try a rifled choke tube. A big fat slug doesn’t need to spin very fast to stay stable.

I have a rifled choke for my 11-87 and can make pie plate sized groups out to 100yards with just the vent rib / bead sight.... But I'd really like to feel confident shooting beyond that, and I feel a rifled barrel / scope would be able to do that.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpackhunter View Post
They did make a 3.5" rifled barrel for the 11-87, but am guessing it didn't sell well. It's on backorder here. No clue if it will ever exist again. If it's of interest in inquiring:
https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Product/...s/1042740?fs=1

I've never had a need for a rifled slug gun, so can't be of much help other than the link above. I'm just starting to load some slugs for my smooth barrel shotgun now. Otherwise, I use my muzzleloader if a unit doesn't allow modern firearm. My CVA Accura V2 has the NW legal breech plug and the BH209 plug....it's very accurate with a saboted bullet and Blackhorn 209 (I also hunt muzzleloader in WA, where that setup is now legal).

Thanks for the link. The problem is that no one makes a 3.5" sabot slug. 3" is all that is available. So if you shooting a 3" sabot slug from a 3.5" rifled barrel, I would think your accruacy would go way down... Or am wrong?

Re: muzzleloader. I have a muzzleloader that I am confident out to 100 yards, but I really would like to be able to shoot beyond that...
Old 07-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacktailBilly View Post
I've taken white tail bucks at 148, 165, 192, and 228 yds with it.

That's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #13
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearHammer View Post
I used to hunt coastal flats that were shotgun only. Look up Marlin Slugmaster. Bolt action slug guns.

I'll look into those. I assume these would still be considered a "shotgun" by regulation.

This is the definition in the regs:

Shotgun” is a smooth bore frearm, designed
for fring birdshot and intended to be fred
from the shoulder, with a barrel length
of 18 inches or more and with an overall
length of 26 inches or more. Exception:
Shotguns equipped with rifed slug barrels are
considered shotguns when used for hunting
pronghorn antelope, black bear, cougar, deer,
or elk when centerfre rifes or shotguns are
legal weapons.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #14
backpackhunter
Steelhead

Quote:
Thanks for the link. The problem is that no one makes a 3.5" sabot slug. 3" is all that is available. So if you shooting a 3" sabot slug from a 3.5" rifled barrel, I would think your accruacy would go way down... Or am wrong?

Re: muzzleloader. I have a muzzleloader that I am confident out to 100 yards, but I really would like to be able to shoot beyond that...

Not sure on the accuracy difference between a 3.5" vs. 3". But once the sabot engages the rifling it should stabilize I would think. Guys shoot 2 3/4" in their 3" guns. But I'm not an expert on that topic.

Looks like you received a couple good suggestions for rifled slug guns above though.

The only factory 3.5" slugs I've seen are the Lightfield Commander IDS Plus. But looks like Midway is out of stock with no backorder. I load my own shotgun shells now so would have to look up a 3.5" slug recipe.

I haven't gotten around to mounting a scope on my peeprib setup yet to try 200+ yard shots. But I know guys that shoot out to 250 yards with a scope. Of course the downside of a muzzy is you don't get a quick follow shot.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #15
Flatfish
King Salmon

Paradox by H&H or the WR equivalent.

Best of both worlds.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #16
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a rifled slug gun in 12ga.

Savage 212
Old 07-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #17
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
Savage 212

Will a bolt action be more accurate than a pump or autoloader?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #18
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Will a bolt action be more accurate than a pump or autoloader?
I would offer its more about intended usage; jump-shooting whitetail in the Palouse out of teardrops in wheatfields is different than sniping a buck on Umatilla
Old 07-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #19
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
I would offer its more about intended usage; jump-shooting whitetail in the Palouse out of teardrops in wheatfields is different than sniping a buck on Umatilla

I've done quite a bit of jump-shooting with my smooth bore 11-87 (and will continue to use this gun for that application)... But now I'm looking to do some "sniping" with a shotgun
Old 07-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #20
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
I've done quite a bit of jump-shooting with my smooth bore 11-87 (and will continue to use this gun for that application)... But now I'm looking to do some "sniping" with a shotgun

Bolt-action = "sniping"
Old 07-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #21
LongBeard2010
Steelhead

I would make sure your gun fits you very well if shooting a 3.5” slug. I’ve never shot one but I imagine the kick has to be ridiculous.
LongBeard2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #22
Quaka Wacka
Sturgeon

Not sure what kind of gains you’ll get out of 3.5” slugs. Never seen a dedicated slug gun that shoots them. Some slug guns prefer 2.75 over 3”, and I believe it’s due to the location and taper of the forcing cone.

Between my dad and I we’ve killed close to 30 elk and a handful of deer with slug guns. I’ve tried various add on slug barrels, but was never happy with the accuracy. Especially if you were pulling the barrel off and on. They shoot decent one trip, then all over the next. Likely due to varying tension on attachment nut/cap. I even tried marking it to return it to the same place every time.

Most of our elk were taken between 125-175 yards with H&R USH’s and Remington 2.75” 375gr corelokt ultras. They shoot consistenly 1-2” at 100 and have killed elk out to 225 yards. I bought a Savage 212 a few years back and it shoots just as well. Accutips shot cloverleafed groups, but have a very poor BC and no where near as much energy at 200yards.
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #23
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Also keep in mind that some of the slug designs perform exceptionally well with the simple addition of a rifled choke tube screwed into the muzzle of your standard shotgun. Not all the slugs respond equally well, but some certainly do.
Why, I believe there is a good candidate shotgun in the classifieds right now that takes Beretta-style choke tubes from, say, Carlson!

Old 07-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #24
Wreckless
King Salmon

I'd like to do the same thing. I have a spot that is best hunted with a shotgun. I would buy a scoped H&R slug hunter in an instant. I have a muzzleloader that is accurate and fun to shoot, but a slug gun would be fun too......Except maybe the recoil.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:19 AM   #25
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
Also keep in mind that some of the slug designs perform exceptionally well with the simple addition of a rifled choke tube screwed into the muzzle of your standard shotgun. Not all the slugs respond equally well, but some certainly do.
Why, I believe there is a good candidate shotgun in the classifieds right now that takes Beretta-style choke tubes from, say, Carlson!

I have an 11-87 and an 870 that accept the rifled choke. I've played around with it, and the accuracy is OK. But the lack of sights (vent rib w/ bead) majorly limits your accuracy. That is why I want to get a fully rifled slug gun
Old 07-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #26
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaka Wacka View Post
Not sure what kind of gains you’ll get out of 3.5” slugs. Never seen a dedicated slug gun that shoots them. Some slug guns prefer 2.75 over 3”, and I believe it’s due to the location and taper of the forcing cone.

Between my dad and I we’ve killed close to 30 elk and a handful of deer with slug guns. I’ve tried various add on slug barrels, but was never happy with the accuracy. Especially if you were pulling the barrel off and on. They shoot decent one trip, then all over the next. Likely due to varying tension on attachment nut/cap. I even tried marking it to return it to the same place every time.

Most of our elk were taken between 125-175 yards with H&R USH’s and Remington 2.75” 375gr corelokt ultras. They shoot consistenly 1-2” at 100 and have killed elk out to 225 yards. I bought a Savage 212 a few years back and it shoots just as well. Accutips shot cloverleafed groups, but have a very poor BC and no where near as much energy at 200yards.

Yeah, I have no interest in 3.5" slugs. There's just no need. And I think you're spot-on with the accuracy / forcing cone issue.... Which is why I want to buy a dedicated slug gun.

Thanks for the advise. I think a Savage 212 (or similar) is what I am going to buy.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #27
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

That Savage is a good choice, and has a reputation for accuracy.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #28
BearHammer
Coho

Quote:
I'll look into those. I assume these would still be considered a "shotgun" by regulation.

This is the definition in the regs:

Shotgun” is a smooth bore frearm, designed
for fring birdshot and intended to be fred
from the shoulder, with a barrel length
of 18 inches or more and with an overall
length of 26 inches or more. Exception:
Shotguns equipped with rifed slug barrels are
considered shotguns when used for hunting
pronghorn antelope, black bear, cougar, deer,
or elk when centerfre rifes or shotguns are
legal weapons.
Solid question. It might take a phone call to odfw to clear up. I would think it is fine because of the ammo used but you never know.
BearHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #29
ccw
King Salmon

Living in Battleground GMU 564 we are allowed “any deer” and “any elk”. It is a firearm restricted area and so I use my pump Benelli Nova goose gun, rifled choke tube, loaded with .50 caliber, 300 gr. Hornady SST sabotted slugs. I got a nice doe just before dark.

Shot & Gutted it in yard, Dragged her with John Deere up to patio. Hung on gambrel below deck for skinning. Placed on Costco table by house light for deboning

I found my slug, dug it out of 12" of damp sod. Shot was about 40 yds angling down hill. She hunched up. I knew it was a lethal hit, but she started to step towards right and some brush, Very sick. With failing light I shot again. That one hit 3-4" from first. She fell about 14' from first shot.

300 gr. (Weight according to box) Hornady SST sabotted slug maintained 99.76% weight.
About half of copper petals were mushroomed out. The diameter went from .50 (1/2") out to just over 5/8".

Excellent, organic table fare. Admittedly more of a Harvest than a hunt.

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #30
gottafish
King Salmon

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=SlugGun

I grew up in a shotgun only area of Michigan, everyone I know back home uses these. in 20 gauge and the are tack drivers to 200 yards
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #31
pirk fan
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
I have a Mossberg rifled barrel as well. The bore on that thing looks like it's got welding spatter in it, but despite that, it's amazingly accurate with either Lee 7/8 oz drive key or Lyman 525 grain slugs (the ones that look like giant air rifle pellets). Both slugs use regular plastic shot wads as sabots, and maybe the rough barrel in addition to imparting spin, aids in separation of the wad from the slug. Slugs are rediculously expensive, but molding and reloading your own is very cost effective.
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #32
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

I ended up buying a Savage 212 and I love it.

With some practice, I am now confident out to 200 yards (4" grouping, 12" low).

I had some close calls with my elk hunt this year, but none of them resulted in dead elk unfortunately.

I was on the herd in the pics for nearly an hour, with a thin patch of timber / brush between us, however, I unfortunately couldn't get any closer than 275 yards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191020_082928.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	733425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191020_085710.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	733427   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191020_121441.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	733429  
Old 11-05-2019, 06:02 AM   #33
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Moto, that Savage is a great platform. Glad you are happy with yours.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #34
Quaka Wacka
Sturgeon

Glad you liked that 212. Mine has been great.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #35
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Glad you liked that 212. Mine has been great.

My only complaint is that it's just so darn expensive to shoot!

After I got the gun, I bought two boxes of four different rounds to see which grouped up best. Then once I decided on which round I was going with, I bought 10 boxes of that to get dialed in. At $15 per box (plus shipping) for 5 rounds, it adds up quick.

Cost aside, I'm really happy with the platform.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #36
blacktailaddict
Chromer

My first buck with my new savage 212!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	041C1AE7-BC4C-49B6-9207-EA570F4D9DB0.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	733563  
blacktailaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #37
jmg
Ifish Nate

I recently bought a slug barrel for my 870 off the online auction site. Not having an extra gun in the safe isn't an overall bad thing...it keeps the Mrs happier.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #38
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I recently bought a slug barrel for my 870 off the online auction site. Not having an extra gun in the safe isn't an overall bad thing...it keeps the Mrs happier.
Yeah... I considered that... But after you buy a barrel and a scope, for "only" a couple hundred more dollars you could have a dedicated slug gun.

Also, see post #22 regarding accuracy of taking the barrel off and on. This was a concern of mine, so I decided to go with the Savage 212.

Last edited by motoxaaron03; 11-06-2019 at 08:03 AM.
motoxaaron03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #39
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktailaddict View Post
My first buck with my new savage 212!

Fantastic!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #40
Quaka Wacka
Sturgeon

No kidding on the cost. Been meaning to play around with reloading for my 212 or USH.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #41
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
No kidding on the cost. Been meaning to play around with reloading for my 212 or USH.

Such a thing exists??? (Assuming we're talking about Sabot rounds)
Old 11-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #42
Quaka Wacka
Sturgeon

Guys have played with it with mixed results. Check the Ballistic Products website and the forums.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:37 AM   #43
Hokkaido
Fry

I mean no disrespect to anyone who has posted above but I have literally shot many tons of deer with sabots and can tell you right now that if you want a sniper shotgun for deer the 20 gauge is the only way to go. Hands down, no doubt, if anyone disagrees it only shows their ignorance. Do not buy an old Mossberg, any 870s with cantilevers/Hastings barrels, anything listed above. There are only two choices for you my friend, the savage 220F or the H&R slug gun. Do not buy a 12ga! They are ballistically inferior to the 20ga past 150yrds.

Last edited by Hokkaido; 11-12-2019 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #44
blacktailaddict
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokkaido View Post
I mean no disrespect to anyone who has posted above but I have literally shot many tons of deer with sabots and can tell you right now that if you want a sniper shotgun for deer the 20 gauge is the only way to go. Hands down, no doubt, if anyone disagrees it only shows their ignorance. Do not buy an old Mossberg, any 870s with cantilevers/Hastings barrels, anything listed above. There are only two choices for you my friend, the savage 220F or the H&R slug gun. Do not buy a 12ga! They are ballistically inferior to the 20ga past 150yrds. Here is one simple example
Yes I’m aware of that from the research I did. I went with the 12 because I might also use it for elk but I still second guess myself wondering if I should have bought the 220 lol
blacktailaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #45
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Do not buy a 12ga! They are ballistically inferior to the 20ga past 150yrds.

Thanks for your input.

I went with the 12ga because I was specifically targeting elk. Otherwise I would have gone with the 20ga.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #46
Quaka Wacka
Sturgeon

Quote:
I mean no disrespect to anyone who has posted above but I have literally shot many tons of deer with sabots and can tell you right now that if you want a sniper shotgun for deer the 20 gauge is the only way to go. Hands down, no doubt, if anyone disagrees it only shows their ignorance. Do not buy an old Mossberg, any 870s with cantilevers/Hastings barrels, anything listed above. There are only two choices for you my friend, the savage 220F or the H&R slug gun. Do not buy a 12ga! They are ballistically inferior to the 20ga past 150yrds. Here is one simple example

There’s some pretty bold statements in there. I really don’t feel that ignorant on the subject

There is a lot of misinformation and false claims on this subject throughout the forums. It started after a gun writer (cant remember off the top of my head which one) did a comparison with data to support it. It basically concluded that for guys hunting deer inside of 150yards a 20ga had plenty of energy and less recoil than a 12ga with roughly the same drop. I agree, but its somehow morphed into 20ga slug guns are magic, hit twice as hard with half the recoil.

I agree that add on slug barrels aren’t repeatably accurate. I threw my money away on several over the years. Other than that, I’m going to disagree with you. I know the OP was considering elk which makes the 20ga most certainly an inferior choice. Full disclosure; I’m a person, on elk especially, that believes if 1000ft/# is good then 1500ft/# is better. Especially with a bigger hole and a higher chance for an exit. In this part of the country a lot of these shotgun hunts are on small tracts of private, where anchoring them quickly is important. Otherwise they end up on a neighbors place or in front of another hunter. Would a 20ga work? Closer in? Yes. But I don’t like to poke holes and then test my blood trailing skills if I can help it. A lot of guys don’t like the recoil of a 12ga slug gun. I’m one of them. But there are no free lunches in world of interior, exterior and terminal ballistics. Most guys can learn to shoot them accurately with a little practice.

I guess I don’t understand what you mean by ballistically inferior. In the video you posted he shot a 3” 260gr accutip(.146 BC) which according to Chuck Hawks leaves his 220’s barrel at 1725fps. Ballistics are as follows at 300yards where he shot this doe.

Drop in inches is first column and energy in ft/# is second to last. 485ft/# is about 100 more than a .38+p snub nose pocket pistol has at the muzzle. The fact that this guy set out to do this on purpose, only proves what kind of knucklehead he is.

My USH shoots 12ga 385gr Core-Lokt ultras at a chrono’d 1860fps.

Columns are the same. I have roughly 3x the energy you do with the load in the example video you provided. Also more than 50% less wind drift and drop at 300. The gap would shrink if I compared 20ga Core-Lokt, as they have a better BC than the accutips. But the 12 still spanks the 20 all day long. With the only downside being more recoil. A lot of (same brand) 12 to 20ga comparisons will be similar in drop, BC and MV; but the heavier bullet will always have more energy. So saying a 12ga is ballistically the same as a 20ga EXCEPT for impact energy, is accurate. Inferior? Not even close.

We’ve also literally shot tons of animals with 12ga slug guns. Both the USH and the 212. Roughly 15,000 pounds of elk alone(30 or so) Plus a handful of deer and another handful of elk with muzzleloader. Which is ballistically nearly identical to a 12ga slug. Most of the elk were 125-175 with the furthest being 225. My comfort level for “enough” energy for elk is around 1500ft/# and 1000 ft/# for deer. Roughly. If I’ve already hit one, I’ll stretch it further. Everybody’s comfort level is a little different.
But you can’t argue with raw ballistic data showing the 12ga as a clear winner, with the only downside being more recoil.

If anybody disagrees, it only shows thier inability to read and understand a ballistics chart
Old 11-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #47
Hokkaido
Fry

My apologies, I thought we were talking blackies. For elk the 12 definitely carries the advantage. But at 200yards it’s hard to find a sabot that’s is still carrying 1000ft lbs of energy.

I’ll reply to the data statistician a bit later, but for now I have a job to tend to.
Hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #48
ccw
King Salmon

I just ordered a Savage 212. Cabela’s $439. Magazine is 2 rounds. Blued metalwork, black synthetic stock.
If I fall in love with it I may look into getting a walnut handle for it. Glass remains to be selected.

Recoil of 2 3/4” or 3” 12 gauge sabotted slugs is nothing compared to 2 1/4 oz. 3.5” turkey load or 1 7/8 oz steel goose loads I shoot from my Benelli Nova pictured in my earlier post. Never heard of, seen or shot a 3.5” slug.

Would pure lead buckshot (or grouse shot) damage the rifling if one were to use it on rare occasion?

Looking forward to loosening my fillings during the load selection and sighting in from a bench phase.

My buddy thinks I should hand load brass cases and special .730” slugs. He says I now have a “.720 Express”.

Any elk/any deer/firearm restriction area ... here I come. Coyotes better watch out too.

CW

Last edited by ccw; 01-02-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:22 AM   #49
Quaka Wacka
Sturgeon

I’ve shot bird/buck shot through mine. The patterns are huge! I think it’s centrifugal force from the rotation.

As far as the brass cases, were starting to play with them. Google “12ga from hell”. They are doing exactly what you said. Shooting full bore lead slugs from modified 50BMG cases that they added a 12ga rim to. It’s essentially a brass 3.5” case. They did the math with the thicker barrels and shoot up to 40k psi. Our plan is to go up to 20K psi shooting the sabots and maybe heavier, better BC bullets. Hoping to have legit 300 yard+ slug guns by next season. Hopefully it works out. Playing with Quickload right now to get some starting points.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #50
ccw
King Salmon

A wide pattern on a ruffed grouse at typical woods ranges sounds good.

Mine will mainly be a deck gun. About the farthest shot on my place is 130 yds. Coyote and deer. It would work for elk, but if I’m not restricted to a shotgun, I have a stainless Remington 700 .338 that I really like.

This gal does well offhand at 150 yds With a peep sited Remington 870.

http://youtu.be/NrwUxYwhJvE

CW

Old 01-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #51
Flatfish
King Salmon

Quote:
As far as the brass cases, were starting to play with them. Google “12ga from hell”. They are doing exactly what you said. Shooting full bore lead slugs from modified 50BMG cases that they added a 12ga rim to. It’s essentially a brass 3.5” case. They did the math with the thicker barrels and shoot up to 40k psi. Our plan is to go up to 20K psi shooting the sabots and maybe heavier, better BC bullets. Hoping to have legit 300 yard+ slug guns by next season. Hopefully it works out. Playing with Quickload right now to get some starting points.
730 grains at 2700fps

You are gonna end up in worse shape than the critter, just from firing that.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #52
Quaka Wacka
Sturgeon

I’m out on that one. We’re hoping to push 300-400gr sabots in the 2200-2400 range. Still not what I’d consider pleasant to shoot, but not much different than my ultralight .338 Norma shooting 300gr at 2800fps.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #53
ccw
King Salmon

My .54 cal. Thompson Center Hawken muzzleloader shot 435 gr. Pure lead Maxi balls I cast ahead of 120 gr. FFg for a muzzle velocity of 1499 FPS. Recoil was substantial and the brass recoil pad made sure you got your fair dose of kinetic energy.

I’m not interested in hand loading much anymore and am confident I’ll find an interesting factory load for the Savage.... and boy is time is dragging as I wait for delivery.

CW

Old 01-03-2020, 09:00 PM   #54
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
730 grains at 2700fps
And there are people that think there's no such thing as knock down power.
On both ends with that load.

With proper bullet placement that should work on any Blacktail deer.

On a serious note, that price on a slug gun is pretty good. I have been halfway looking for a used H&R single shot slug gun but a bolt would be cool too.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #55
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
I have been halfway looking for a used H&R single shot slug gun but a bolt would be cool too.
I looked into those when I was shopping around. I went with a bolt gun instead, but knowing what I know now, I might have gone with a single shot H&R.

The clip on the Savage 212 is plastic, and honestly a little hokey. It also extends well below the bottom of the stock. I almost never sling my gun when I'm out hunting. I carry it in-hand so I am ready for a quick shot if I had to. Having the clip right where I would normally hold the gun is a little annoying. You wouldn't have that problem with a single shot. Also, I suspect you could reload a single shot almost as quickly as a bolt gun...

Last edited by motoxaaron03; 01-06-2020 at 10:22 AM.
motoxaaron03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #56
Quaka Wacka
Sturgeon

CVA makes a break action rifle 12ga slug gun. Cheaper than the Savage. Not sure how it shoots.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #57
backpackhunter
Steelhead

Quote:
I’ve shot bird/buck shot through mine. The patterns are huge! I think it’s centrifugal force from the rotation.

If you didn't want to form cases from 50 BMG and add the rim, you should be able to just use the 3.5" 12ga from RMC. I load their 3" 12ga. Heavy little suckers. They're expensive, but for birdshot load pressures they last for many reloads (cowboy action shooters have documented over 2K reloads per shell). Granted if you're taking it up to 20K PSI I would assume the number of reloading's would reduce substantially. Most of my shotshell loads are 7K-10K range, and you can hardly tell I fired them. I've yet to have to even think about resizing them.
https://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/

Attached photo of 3" shells that I load for my O/U. Since they're made to be dimensionally accurate for the gauge to allow for using normal recipes and components, they're very thick cases. Machined from bar stock (hence why they're expensive).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191129_144808_resized.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	737465  

Last edited by backpackhunter; 01-06-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #58
Quaka Wacka
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpackhunter View Post
If you didn't want to form cases from 50 BMG and add the rim, you should be able to just use the 3.5" 12ga from RMC. I load their 3" 12ga. Heavy little suckers. They're expensive, but for birdshot load pressures they last for many reloads (cowboy action shooters have documented over 2K reloads per shell). Granted if you're taking it up to 20K PSI I would assume the number of reloading's would reduce substantially. Most of my shotshell loads are 7K-10K range, and you can hardly tell I fired them. I've yet to have to even think about resizing them.
https://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/

Attached photo of 3" shells that I load for my O/U. Since they're made to be dimensionally accurate for the gauge to allow for using normal recipes and components, they're very thick cases. Machined from bar stock (hence why they're expensive).

I’ve been eyeing those for a while as a backup plan for the slugs. They are expensive, but the cost should work out as long as you don’t lose them.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #59
backpackhunter
Steelhead

Quote:
I’ve been eyeing those for a while as a backup plan for the slugs. They are expensive, but the cost should work out as long as you don’t lose them.
Yeah the cost is hard to swallow. I'm happy with the quality, though. And their loading kit is great. I find myself using it for my plastic hulls now too when I'm doing a roll crimp.

Totally unnecessary for birdshot rounds, but they're neat and I like them. Since I only use for hunting loads in the O/U, they should outlive me. I've got some TSS buckshot loads that I shoot (along with the usual birdshot) mainly in case I see a bear while grouse hunting and want to fill the tag (or need to defend myself). Still haven't gotten around to a slug load yet. Mine is a smoothbore so I won't get near the accuracy range as you're going to get, but I plan to play with some slugs this summer anyway.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #60
backcountryhunter5
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
Single shot H&R slug master. Couple hundred bucks and 1.5” groups at 100 yds. Probably weighs 9#.
this ^ ^ ^ ^ they're heavy but ridiculous accurate for a slug

also, if you can find one, Browning Abolt 12 gauge slug guns were/are very good shooters AND hunting guns
backcountryhunter5 is offline   Reply With Quote