Just moved to Oregon and trying to figure out zones - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
leefromseattle
Steelhead

Default Just moved to Oregon and trying to figure out zones

I just made the move to Oregon, north of Portland on the Columbia, from Seattle, rented a floating home on the Columbia river and am having a heck of a time figuring out if I can drop a line in the water off my deck, or not.

Location: South side of Tomahawk/Hayden island east of I-5, right off "Lotus Isle Park". I don't see any fishing boats on this side of the island so I assume it's closed (but it could also just be that it's a pain to get to with no wake, 30 min slow ride), there are a ton of boats out on the other side.

The zone map just shows me pictures of the state with no labels for point of reference, and I'm cross referencing with a map of portland but still I'm not sure what zone this area is. Is it just the Columbia zone?

Are there walleye in this section of river or are they upstream from the Bonneville dam?

I'm looking at the special rules and it seems I'm in the area "COLUMBIA RIVER, Warrior Rock to Bonneville Dam", and it says:

Quote:
Effective April 11-12 and April 15 until further notice, permanent rules for Chinook salmon, steelhead, and shad apply
So I probably can fish for fin clipped chinook and walleye here? Does that sound right?

leefromseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #2
Something Good
Sturgeon

Default Re: Just moved to Oregon and trying to figure out zones

It is closed for salmon retention after today until further notice. Not sure what zone specifically you would be in. Columbia lower river areas that are open change depending on which tribs they are currently trying to protect.

I'll look up the regs for you tomorrow. It can be challenging if you're not used to how ODFW does things. You can also call the OSP and ask them for help.

"If you see a good fight get in it" Reverand Vernon Johns
Something Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
leefromseattle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Good View Post
It is closed for salmon retention after today until further notice. Not sure what zone specifically you would be in. Columbia lower river areas that are open change depending on which tribs they are currently trying to protect.

I'll look up the regs for you tomorrow. It can be challenging if you're not used to how ODFW does things. You can also call the OSP and ask them for help.
Damn, didn't realize you can call them. Thanks

Quote:
permanent rules for Chinook salmon, steelhead, and shad apply
So we have general state rules, special rules, and permanent rules? And permanent rules means no retention, not that it defaults to general? Good lord, English is my only language and I interpreted that entirely wrong.

edit:: Columbia Fishing report page says:

Quote:
It is VERY IMPORTANT to check the Columbia River section of the Recreation Report for the current regulations before fishing.

So Columbia River recreation report says
Quote:
Effective April 11-12 and April 15 until further notice, permanent rules for Chinook salmon, steelhead, and shad apply (see e-regulations).
So I click to see the e-regulations link, type "permanent" into the search bar, and it takes me to general statewide rules.... the only other link in the search results is the definition of permanent residence.

Last edited by leefromseattle; 04-14-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
Beefcake
Sturgeon

You have to click on the zone to see the permanent rules, then read the exceptions for the specific body of water, then back out and look up the in-season regulation changes for the zone. The new website is a disaster to navigate. I still use a paper copy of the regs for the general regs and permanent regs / exceptions, then I only have to look up the changes online. Also, the weekly recreation report for your zone can be a good reference (it often contains basic info about what is open, but you still have to look at the permanent regs for things like hook restrictions).

To answer some of your specific questions, today was the last day for salmon until they either issue an extension or until the run update in May. I’m sure any re-opening will be discussed at length here. I don’t think I’ve ever fished that side of the island for springers, but I bet a few run that side. When fall comes around, most of the salmon stick to the deeper channel on the north side of the island.

I believe you can catch and release sturgeon from your dock if that rings your bell. There are also walleye there (I believe open year-round with no limits on size or number, but please confirm). Finally, there are a ton of northern pikeminnow in that area; you might even make a few bucks if you’re willing to check in with the sport reward fishery at the Gleason ramp before fishing every day.

Enjoy your new houseboat! Tomahawk / Hayden / Jantzen Island can be great fun if you can deal with the bridge traffic. I especially enjoy the boat-in restaurants near you (Island Cafe, The Deck, Inn at the Quay, and a couple others that I don’t remember names of); boating to dinner makes it an adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2019, 04:37 AM   #5
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

Welcome to Oregon. ODFW has some issues so my best advice is each and every time you are planning on going, make sure to check for updates and changes once you finally get a sense of what is at any given moment the regulations. You'll see what I mean in no time.
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
ron m
King Salmon

I agree with Beefcake re: the paper copy of the regs. Good idea to read thru the general regs and the zone regs for any area you might fish, which you're already done. Then find the website and bookmark the pages you will need to check frequently. I very rarely fish the Columbia zone and always with someone that knows the regs for there, but have learned the Willamette regs for the lower river and know the ocean regs fairly well. The regs can be confusing at first and seem overwhelming, but after some time reading and rereading them, they won't seem quite so bad. I think the regs for the CR are probably the ones that change most frequently, so you're having to learn the regs for what I consider the most difficult zone as a first intro to the regs.

Contact either OSP or an ODFW office or call the ODFW hdqtrs in Salem. Ask them, it'll remind them that the regs aren't that easy to understand for someone that just moved to OR.
ron m
ron m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
leefromseattle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
You have to click on the zone to see the permanent rules, then read the exceptions for the specific body of water, then back out and look up the in-season regulation changes for the zone. The new website is a disaster to navigate. I still use a paper copy of the regs for the general regs and permanent regs / exceptions, then I only have to look up the changes online. Also, the weekly recreation report for your zone can be a good reference (it often contains basic info about what is open, but you still have to look at the permanent regs for things like hook restrictions).

To answer some of your specific questions, today was the last day for salmon until they either issue an extension or until the run update in May. I’m sure any re-opening will be discussed at length here. I don’t think I’ve ever fished that side of the island for springers, but I bet a few run that side. When fall comes around, most of the salmon stick to the deeper channel on the north side of the island.

I believe you can catch and release sturgeon from your dock if that rings your bell. There are also walleye there (I believe open year-round with no limits on size or number, but please confirm). Finally, there are a ton of northern pikeminnow in that area; you might even make a few bucks if you’re willing to check in with the sport reward fishery at the Gleason ramp before fishing every day.

Enjoy your new houseboat! Tomahawk / Hayden / Jantzen Island can be great fun if you can deal with the bridge traffic. I especially enjoy the boat-in restaurants near you (Island Cafe, The Deck, Inn at the Quay, and a couple others that I don’t remember names of); boating to dinner makes it an adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just the info I was looking for, thank you very much. I'm not opposed to slaying some pike minnows lol I'll check it out. I bet there are a bunch under the docks.

Honestly we were regretting moving here until we moved to Hayden, it's a totally different and refreshing experience from the other side of the water...the last house we were at near the city had people rummaging through the recycling and car and snooping around the house every night, to the point I was becoming sleep deprived from being startled awake every night thinking someone was inside every time the house creaked, or heat kicked on, or I heard footsteps outside my window, and had to disconnect and hide my computer every time I left the house, fully expecting it to be burglarized.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Flatfish
King Salmon

If you do decide to wet a line, make sure you are close to fishing pole.

I have seen several tickets over the years for unattended pole. Line was in the water, person was inside cooking or watching tv.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
leefromseattle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
If you do decide to wet a line, make sure you are close to fishing pole.

I have seen several tickets over the years for unattended pole. Line was in the water, person was inside cooking or watching tv.
Dang I had no idea. I work from home and was planning on putting a bell on it. Good to know not to do that.

Was also considering getting a crawfish trap but I assume it's pretty polluted around here and I shouldn't eat em. Do they have advisories like for shellfish?
Old 04-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
pnavari
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefromseattle View Post
Dang I had no idea. I work from home and was planning on putting a bell on it. Good to know not to do that.

Was also considering getting a crawfish trap but I assume it's pretty polluted around here and I shouldn't eat em. Do they have advisories like for shellfish?
I'm not sure about advisories but I know people who live on floating homes in your general area who put out crawfish traps. They catch quite a few and do a boil. It's probably fine. You may not want to eat them for every meal!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
pnavari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #11
pinhead2
Tuna!

The regs are really frustrating if you are new to the area. From Tongue Point (where or what is a Tongue Point?) and the Twanna Power Lines (WHAT????). Washington isn't any better (Number 5 Fishway??). I'm local and I understand what you are going through.
pinhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #12
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead2 View Post
The regs are really frustrating if you are new to the area. From Tongue Point (where or what is a Tongue Point?) and the Twanna Power Lines (WHAT????). Washington isn't any better (Number 5 Fishway??). I'm local and I understand what you are going through.
Tongue point is at the East end of Astoria. Big chunk of land jutting into the river.

The Wauna power lines are at Wauna mill basically just downriver of Westport, Oregon and across from Cathlamette, Washington.

To the OP, you can catch tons of pikeminnows on night crawlers, as well as carp, suckers, and even bass. There's a fair amount of small mouth around the island.

Be careful leaving gear unattended with bait on the bottom, sturgeon do lurk under the house boats. They've been know to make light gear disappear, but also fun to fight a 3' sturgeon on a trout rod from the dock.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote