Welcome to the the Shimano, G. Loomis, Power Pro Product Support Forum - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > iFish Sponsors > Shimano, G.Loomis, Power Pro Product Support

Old 05-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
G.Loomis Rep PW

Default Welcome to the the Shimano, G. Loomis, Power Pro Product Support Forum

I want to thank the fine people at ifish for extending the opportunity to do this! We have ventured into the web as an avenue to provide even more customer support. This is a great board and you do a great job. It just seemed natural to link up with ifish and extend our support to the members on this board.
There will be three of us moderating and answering questions on this board.

We are regional reps for the Shimano American Corp. We have a combined experience of 47 years working in the Northwest fishing industry. We have one person who is based out of OR and another 2 in WA so our fishery knowledge is fairly diverse. Many of you have met us at shows, tournaments, and events though the years.
Our goal here is to provide support to our customers in the field. We will accomplish this via the board or any other means (PM, email, etc) to provide you with the support that you would expect from Shimano. We have a vast knowledge of our reels, rods, and line. We will help everyone as best as we possibly can. Feel free to ask anything or post both positive and negative comments on here. Our hope is to keep things civil and have a good time doing so.
While we are salesman, we are also avid anglers just like all of you. We will not try and sell you anything on this board. We will post new product information and make recommendations on what rods/reels to use if we are asked. We will not bash any competitors’ products on this board either. The industry is too small and there are a lot of great products on the market. In the end we hope to answer your questions, tell you about happenings at Shimano, and ultimately help make everyone a better angler

G.Loomis Rep PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
weirdbeard
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Welcome to the the Shimano, G. Loomis, Power Pro Product Support Forum

Why don't you make takotas 500 reels in a left hand model?
Old 05-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
G.Loomis Rep PW

Default Re: Welcome to the the Shimano, G. Loomis, Power Pro Product Support Forum

Weirdbeard you win the jackpot and office pool! We figured that would be the first question and rightly so. Let me say, we beyond a doubt, know that the Left Hand Tekota is the number 1 requested item in the NW. The challenge is asking the rest of the country to request a LH reel as well. They are still dominated by RH retrieve reels. I will say that tide is starting to happen. For a few reasons that range from age demos to technique crossover.
Tekota was introduced at the time when it wasn't apparent if that style of reel would work for the northwest angler. Reels like the Bantam 50, Calcutta 400A, and Triton series where what anglers used. That isn't to say they didn't request those in LH as well but linecounters weren't a major part of our fisheries. So when the reel was spec'd out it didn't include our market and LH reels. Well that changed within 3 years of the reel being produced and linecounters have only grown. I want to say we released the Tekota in 2002 so this was quite some time ago.
Shimano is unique in that they design, engineer, and build reels in their own factories. This benefit is also a challenge when building products that are outside the norm ie Left Hand reels due to tooling. So when you change a series due to tooling it takes a complete re-boot to pencil out.
Now for the future who knows what will happen with Tekota but you can bet that if a new Tekota was to come out it would be offered in left hand.
I hope that answers the question. Shimano knows and hears you.

Last edited by G.Loomis Rep PW; 05-19-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: SP
G.Loomis Rep PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
weirdbeard
Ifish Nate

When and where do i collect?
Old 11-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
Tuna Ball
Tuna!

I want to ask others if they have been having the same issue with Power Pro slick 8 as I have? I have only used this 50lb line for two seasons. I use it for bobber fishing salmon. It does go through the guides smother, I'll give it that. The problem is how fast the business end wears out. I think the friction from the bobber must be wearing it especially fast because the knot strength is terrible. It seems to break for no good reason, even trying to shake a snag loose. I have snagged up with 20lb leader and had the main line break. I'm tired of loosing good bobbers, so I'm taking it off my reel and pitching the rest of the spool in the trash. Going back to plain ol' Power pro. I've been a fan of that line for years and keep coming back.
Tuna Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
bea413
Fry

Tuna Ball,

I used some 40lb power pro slick 8 about a month ago for beach casting herring and float for coho. It does cast really well and I had less trouble with wind knots and rod tip wraps (than with regular power pro). I did notice some slight fuzziness toward the in line weight but thought it could not possibly be worn much, yet, as little as I had used it.

Then I hooked a coho and immediately then had a harbor seal hooked . I fought him for a while but he won and I was ready to cut most of my line and let him have the whole deal...... Could see bare spots on the spool when the line broke...... Didn't break my 30 lb mono leader like you would want, but broke the braid and lost all terminal stuff except the bobber stop...... I don't believe my knot broke, although maybe you cant tell as well as you can with mono.... It definitely broke somewhere above the inline weight which I had tied on with a palomar knot and was protected with the rubber donut.

That is my first broken line experience with the slick 8, other wise I have broken lures off a couple times.... but those broke in the mono leader, like you would expect.
bea413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Tuna Ball
Tuna!

Yeah,

The last two feet of line gets almost completely white after each trip. I feel the need to cut several feet each time. I don't use especially rough bobbers either. Maybe I can try it for trolling instead. I am not confident enough in it to put a diver and or flasher on the end, however.
Tuna Ball is offline   Reply With Quote