Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Bass, Panfish & Products

Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Stan Fagerstrom
Steelhead

Default A Resolution You値l Enjoy Keeping! Part 1

A Resolution You’ll Enjoy Keeping!

By Stan Fagerstrom
Part 1

I expect you, like me, have made a few New Year’s resolutions. I’ve already fractured a couple of those I made but most are still intact.

If you haven’t made any resolutions, I have a suggestion for you: Resolve to make this the year you get down to visit Anglers Inn at Mexico’s Lake El Salto. I make that suggestion for numerous reasons. I’d like to share a little story about my last visit down there south of the border that highlights just one of those reasons.
Here's why I say it's so essential to stay alert each time you cast for bass at Mexico's El Salto Lake. You just never know when a cast is going to have the results this one of mine did.

Let me clarify my resolution recommendation by connecting it to an extremely important warning. It’s simple enough. All I’m suggesting is that when you get there, be darn every time you’re you make a cast---stay alert. I repeat---stay alert! You’ll come home regretting it if you don’t.

I’m not basing these recommendations on something I read somewhere in a magazine or saw on the Internet. It’s based strictly on my own experience. If I hadn’t already had my knees replaced so I can’t do it, I’d give myself a good, solid kick in the butt for each time on those occasions I’ve not practiced what I’m preaching.

I don’t even like to think of those times. I’m not going to detail all of them, but I’d like to share just one that covers what I’m talking about. Here’s the way it started.

The bass weren’t nearly as active as I’ve often seen them during the first light of a new day. We’d left the Anglers Inn dock when it was still difficult to see the shoreline clearly. After running awhile our guide cut back on the motor and eased up within casting distance of where some submerged trees stuck stark fingers up out of the water along the shoreline.

All was quiet. That was a bit unusual because at El Salto the opposite is often true. There was an occasional swirl but not anywhere near as much activity as I was accustomed to seeing.

Anybody who has been to El Salto will tell you it’s easy to get spoiled when you’re fortunate enough to fish this bass fishing paradise. It often provides the kind of action you have dreamed about but not experienced.

My best surface action at El Salto has always come early in the day. I’m not saying those tackle busting bruisers down there won’t crash a surface lure at other times during. I recall a few times when I’ve had them knock the crap out of a Zara Spook in the mid-afternoon.

Be that as it may, my most consistent top water action usually comes at daylight. That’s not surprising because it’s what I’ve experienced wherever my bass fishing trails have taken me over the past half century.

Because things were slow on the morning I’m talking about I got a tad restless. Careless might be a better word. You can’t do at El Salto. I already knew that. That’s why I mentioned in the beginning. It’s something I’ve always cautioned my El Salto fishing partners about, especially if they are fishing el Salto for the first time.

My partner and I had only managed to boat a couple of 2-pounders and miss a couple more in the first hour of fishing this trip. I considered asking our guide to move us on out to fish some nearby cover in deeper water.

I decided I’d be better off letting the guide determine when and if we moved. As I mentioned, we were fishing out of El Salto’s famed Anglers Inn. Fishing resorts here in the USA could learn from the way Billy Chapman Jr. operates that beautiful resort. For one thing, he has experienced guides. They want to see you catch fish as much as you do.

Click to Zoom
Submerged timber like that shown here is often favored by by El Salto Lake whoppers. But you never know for sure. Early and late they might be right up against the shoreline.

There’s ample reason for them to feel that way. Countless anglers have left El Salto after having tangled with the largest bass they’ve ever caught. It’s no secret that after they’ve done that they are more inclined to be generous at tipping time. They want to show their appreciation to the guides who put them on those whoppers. Be assured these experienced guides are very much aware of that.

I was casting from the bow of our boat. There was an opening between a couple of submerged trees about 30-feet away. I was successful in getting my lure in there right where I wanted. I left it alone until everything quieted down then began a slow twitch and pause routine that had often been effective for me with this bait.

I’ll never forget what happened next. I’ll share it with you in my next column. Watch for it beginning Feb. 1.

-To Be Continued-

Stan Fagerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement