Dear Motorcycle Dealer: I'm not paying your B.S. "fees" - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 02-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
1pump
King Salmon

Default Dear Motorcycle Dealer: I'm not paying your B.S. "fees"

I've been shopping around for a new donorcycle, and as per usual the dealers are up to their normal malfeasance.

If you've ever bought a new (or even used) bike, PWC, quad, snowmachine or what have you, I'm sure you've had your spanking. I've read horror stories of setup, freight (destination) and processing fees adding $1000, or even $2000, to the cost of the vehicle.

I can't find the bike I really want through a private party, unless I want to drive halfway across the country. Spending $500 in gas and days of my time to save a few hundred bucks doesn't make a lot of sense, even to my irrational brain.

So that leaves the stealers. I found a low-mile example of the bike I want, so I figured I'd be safe from fees. No set-up or destination fees, right? I mean, you can't put a bike together twice, or ship it from the factory twice.
No, they're gonna get their licks in somewhere. Sure enough, I get an e-mail from the sales dude saying there'll be a "reconditioning fee" of nearly $300, since all used bikes get serviced before they go on the floor.

The motorcycle in question has 1,200 miles on it. How much service can it possibly need? An oil change and chain lube, probably. Oh, and check that tire pressure. That's gotta be worth $100 right there.
Against my better judgement, I'm going down there tomorrow, and I'm sure I'll have to go 10 rounds with these guys.

So if you hear about a bald, crazy redneck trashing a motorcycle dealer on the news tomorrow, it was just me. I want to see if I can pick up one of those little 50cc scooters and throw it through a plate glass window.

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Default Re: Dear Motorcycle Dealer: I'm not paying your B.S. "fees"

Darn those evil dealers trying to make enough to pay the rent.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I just go the shop to sit on them and make motor sounds. Doesn't cost a dime. I need to go in again fairly soon, needing a fix.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #4
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I just go the shop to sit on them and make motor sounds. Doesn't cost a dime. I need to go in again fairly soon, needing a fix.
Have you ever made Harley sounds on a rice burner?
Old 02-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
Nightvisionary
Chromer

In before someone tells OP to go be poor somewhere else.
Nightvisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #6
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

How to negotiate 😳

http://youtu.be/a2YRMixW9u8
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
ampersat
King Salmon

Something something supply some other thing demand. Good luck with that.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:45 AM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon

DGB: Triumph is my gig.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:39 AM   #9
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
In before someone tells OP to go be poor somewhere else.
Not really sure what you mean there, Sparky.

Quote:
Something something supply some other thing demand. Good luck with that.
I'm no economist, but I am familiar with supply-side economics.
My point is that car dealers don't do it. They price their cars to cover their investment. Sure, there's fees for DMV crap, that's normal.

I sold auto parts for half my adult life. My biggest customer was Thomason's used car recondtioning operation. They serviced trade-ins and incoming cars bought at auction. They got their money back by factoring it in to the selling price, not by luring customers in with a low advertised price and then ambushing them with hundreds of dollars in fees.

Speaking of supply side, when the next recession hits, adult toys are the first thing to go in the toilet. These guys are gonna be at the back of the line.
Hell, even now I can tell it's February. I sent them an e-mail late last night, and 10 minutes after they opened this morning I got a reply. I sent another one a few hours later, but it took almost 15 minutes to get a reply that time. And it was an apology for taking so long to get back to me. 😆

Then both the sales dude and his boss called me within 10 minutes of each other, right before closing. Somebody needs new shoes.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:42 AM   #10
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:

Good, you can go with me, and we can pretend race.

I can just imagine the racket we could make.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:45 AM   #11
jimh
King Salmon

Worry about the out the door price not how they get there and what line items they have or don’t have. To me, it’s silly to think you got a good deal without the prep fees but pay more for the car/truck/motorcycle.

How many people do you know that got a great deal on a vehicle only to lose it all on the trade ... it’s the same thing.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Go sit on a big hog in the show room, and make sounds like a 2 stroke.
The salesmen will come running with $$$$$ in their eyes.
When they all get there around you, just say, "I'm just kidding".
And walk out.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #13
Fishing Dear
Tuna!

[QUOTE=1pump; Speaking of supply side, when the next recession hits, adult toys are the first thing to go in the toilet. These guys are gonna be at the back of the line.

Problem with the adult toys is that they depreciate too quickly, PWC, boats, bikes and RV's seem to be the quickest way to de-valuate.

Must be a really nice bike or too new to find a decent deal on a used.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #14
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Dear View Post
Problem with the adult toys is that they depreciate too quickly, PWC, boats, bikes and RV's seem to be the quickest way to de-valuate.
That is only an issue if one's belief is that they are an asset first.

If one's belief is that they are a tool first then their monetary value takes a secondary position; then it becomes what can they do, where can i go, and how much fun can i have, not how much are they worth.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #15
Big Willie
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pump View Post
I've been shopping around for a new donorcycle, and as per usual the dealers are up to their normal malfeasance.

If you've ever bought a new (or even used) bike, PWC, quad, snowmachine or what have you, I'm sure you've had your spanking. I've read horror stories of setup, freight (destination) and processing fees adding $1000, or even $2000, to the cost of the vehicle.

I can't find the bike I really want through a private party, unless I want to drive halfway across the country. Spending $500 in gas and days of my time to save a few hundred bucks doesn't make a lot of sense, even to my irrational brain.

So that leaves the stealers. I found a low-mile example of the bike I want, so I figured I'd be safe from fees. No set-up or destination fees, right? I mean, you can't put a bike together twice, or ship it from the factory twice.
No, they're gonna get their licks in somewhere. Sure enough, I get an e-mail from the sales dude saying there'll be a "reconditioning fee" of nearly $300, since all used bikes get serviced before they go on the floor.

The motorcycle in question has 1,200 miles on it. How much service can it possibly need? An oil change and chain lube, probably. Oh, and check that tire pressure. That's gotta be worth $100 right there.
Against my better judgement, I'm going down there tomorrow, and I'm sure I'll have to go 10 rounds with these guys.

So if you hear about a bald, crazy redneck trashing a motorcycle dealer on the news tomorrow, it was just me. I want to see if I can pick up one of those little 50cc scooters and throw it through a plate glass window.

I'm with you, these BS fees were laid out to me at a Hillsboro dealer. I walked out.

Team crappy coffee
Big Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #16
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Agree with Loper. How many times do we hear, resale value, in a conversation? I don't buy something with the thought of getting rid of it anytime soon. When the day comes it does go down the road, I want to think I got my money's worth out of it.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #17
flatman
King Salmon

just give them the top price you will pay including all fees. if they dont accept walk out and tell them you will look elsewhere for a different brand. but call you if they change their mind today. tomorrow you will get a call saying yes come in.

some of the dealers are not allowed to negotiate on the fees. so you re- negotiate on the price. that they can do.

Last edited by flatman; 02-25-2020 at 08:20 AM.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #18
1pump
King Salmon

I'm already looking at another brand. When I got up this morning I had two messages from another dealer up in Washington.
We'll see what happens when the dust settles. They both have their advantages.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #19
FrogPond
Sturgeon

If they have to make their money with the fees. Are they selling it a wholesale? I'd bet, not.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #20
Chad D.
Chromer

I see similar costs when shopping for a new equipment trailer. One may appear cheaper, but doesn’t have a spare tire, chain tray, or tight crossmember spacing. When you option those into the deal, they’re all the same price.

Pick the bike you want, determine what a FAIR price for you and the dealer may be, and make your “out-the-door” offer. If you strike out more than once, your idea of a fair price isn’t really fair. Either adjust your price or find the bike from private party. No other real option. No dealer will sell the bike for a real loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #21
Roady
Chromer

Default Dear Motorcycle Dealer: I'm not paying your B.S. "fees"

The reconditioning fee on a used bike with that many miles is a bit of a stretch.

As far as set-up fees for new bikes, atvs, watercraft, etc., these toys all come in crates unlike cars that are ready to roll as soon as they are unloaded. These toys can take anywhere from 1-4 hours to uncrate, assemble, tune, test ride, and so on. The dealership has to recover this cost and rarely will negotiate this “fee”. The only way around it I guess would be to order a new toy and ask to buy it in the crate. I’m not aware of any dealerships that would do that though. Most times you can negotiate “documentation fees”.

I used to work in a Honda, Suzuki, KTM, Polaris, Tigershark dealership. I started off as a Service Writer/Entry level tech. I then went on to be the Assistant Service Manager and Service Manager of two different Harley dealerships. My info maybe outdated though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Roady; 02-25-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Roady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #22
Fishfeet
King Salmon

I was seriously considering buying one from a friend a while back.
Real nice little Harley in good shape.
But got to thinking about my age and reaction time and one bad eye.
Still want it real bad, but nixed the idea, when it came to thinking of the actual riding time per year around this neck.
But that could be changing rapidly, what with the global warning and all that neat stuff.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #23
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Hope you find the bike you want at the price you want, 1pump.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #24
uhmw
King Salmon

Quote:
Agree with Loper. How many times do we hear, resale value, in a conversation? I don't buy something with the thought of getting rid of it anytime soon. When the day comes it does go down the road, I want to think I got my money's worth out of it.
Exactly, if I sell my ATV or jet ski my life expectancy will just go up.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #25
flatman
King Salmon

im old and ride a big harley all over the place. maybe reconsider that bike.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:10 PM   #26
BarbDeep
Chromer

Ask them if you sign a warranty agreement, as is, where is, no exceptions if they'd wave the reconditioning fee. I wouldn't personally do that, the reconditioning fee is a leg to stand on if there's an issue down the road.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:34 PM   #27
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
I don't give a flying fig about resale, either. Cars, bikes, quads, boats, PWC's, they're all bad investments. Anything fun is a bad investment, unless you just bought a '68 Shelby GT350. But you'd be scared to drive it anywhere. Fear of resale is a good way to take the enjoyment out. Which is one reason why I never, ever lease anything. Never have, never will.

I keep my toys so long, they're barely worth scrap value by the time I'm done with them. My previous boat I kept for 18 years. The motor, 24 years. Current boat, 9 years and no plans to get another one. My WaveRunner, 22 years. All bought new. My pickup, 11 years. Paid for and reliable, no reason to upgrade, all though it would sure be nice to.

The donorcycle in question- The original owner (I assume) did over $2000 worth of mods (just in parts, no labor) and put 1200 miles on it. Except for the mods and the odometer, you can't tell it from a new one. I wish I knew what happened, or what he was thinking. Oh, well, it was his money, and now it's my money, but I'd like to thank him for the upgrades, since they're the ones I would've done immediately, anyway. So kudos, mystery bike owner. I hope it wasn't misfortune that led you to sell this bike. That would be bad karma.

Quote:
Exactly, if I sell my ATV or jet ski my life expectancy will just go up.
Yeah, uhmw, I think my life might get drastically shorter. That's okay, as long as my demise is quick. Better to burn out than fade away. Maybe I should change my moniker to "Street Pizza" or "Roadkill". I was gonna use "Assorted Body Parts Stuck In A Peterbilt's Grille", but it takes too long to type.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #28
DogZilla15
King Salmon

This isn't as good as the original but the lyrics are the same.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Z4KXDBAWufrOhq
Old 02-26-2020, 06:37 AM   #29
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:

When you go in claim your homeless and need transportation, I'm sure some PDX funding source is out there to pay for the bike.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #30
danger
Sturgeon

When buying a motorcycle the question isn’t really what you will pay for it...it’s what the next idiot will pay for it. The number of people that finance those fees at 18% would make your ears bleed. Motorcycles especially are purchased by the young dumb and testosterone inflamed..that demographic are not typically the best decision makers. And they make bikes at a dealer more expensive for You too unfortunately.

I purchased a like new 2 year old Honda a few months ago from a private party ...I couldn’t even get dealers to tell me what the out the door price would be. Unreal
Old 02-27-2020, 01:27 AM   #31
1pump
King Salmon

A private party was my preference. But I knew what I wanted, and it was down to two specific bikes, one a Kawasaki, the other a Yamaha. I did find a decent Yamahammer not too far away, but then I stumbled across the Kawasaki I wanted, and all the mods that I needed were already done, and done correctly. I just wish a private party had it. oh, well. Wish in one hand......
Old 02-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #32
Sirfishalots
Chromer

Name calling,,, Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pump View Post
Not really sure what you mean there, Sparky.

I'm no economist, but I am familiar with supply-side economics.
My point is that car dealers don't do it. They price their cars to cover their investment. Sure, there's fees for DMV crap, that's normal.

I sold auto parts for half my adult life. My biggest customer was Thomason's used car recondtioning operation. They serviced trade-ins and incoming cars bought at auction. They got their money back by factoring it in to the selling price, not by luring customers in with a low advertised price and then ambushing them with hundreds of dollars in fees.

Speaking of supply side, when the next recession hits, adult toys are the first thing to go in the toilet. These guys are gonna be at the back of the line.
Hell, even now I can tell it's February. I sent them an e-mail late last night, and 10 minutes after they opened this morning I got a reply. I sent another one a few hours later, but it took almost 15 minutes to get a reply that time. And it was an apology for taking so long to get back to me. 😆

Then both the sales dude and his boss called me within 10 minutes of each other, right before closing. Somebody needs new shoes.
Sirfishalots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #33
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Purchase a couple basket cases cheap and piece one together.
VAROOOOOM!