Cannon Magnum 5 electric Downriggers - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 01-06-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
360_rotschy
Cutthroat

Default Cannon Magnum 5 electric Downriggers

I'm thinking of upgrading to electric downriggers, but dont want to break the bank. Amazon has a grat deal on Cannon Magnum 5st downriggers for $340. Anyone have any experience with this model?

360_rotschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
skeetshtr
Tuna!

Default Re: Cannon Magnum 5 electric Downriggers

I had a pair of cannon fives on the Jetcraft I just sold. I did a lot of kokanee and salmon fishing with them and had no complaints. I wired mine in with quick disconnect plugs and twenty amp circuit breakers and never had a issue other than the plug ins on the boat corroding .
Old 01-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #3
sinkerhead
Ifish Nate

I like and use Cannon... Made in America
sinkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
Fishsizzle
Chromer

I have mag 10s Fast! Love the speed and the fact that they stop when the swivel breaks the water. Once the release pops, push the up button and forget about it.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
LGB
Tuna!

I had the a Cannon and found no particular problems with it.The current designs rely on a electrical current break as the cable leaves the water to stop the return. If you want to use dacron or firewire type cable that stop method will not work out well. Also the so called electrical ion control is BS. I never saw any difference although in some salt water conditions it may help. I consider it more of a marketing ploy.

I changed to to Scotty a couple of years ago and I'm quite happy with them. The mechanical stop system on them has had a minor problem when the stop clips the cable somehow get moved (I don't know how) but it is easy to correct and I doubled them up as backup. They are just small plastic clips. They may not be as fast as the Cannon at retrieval but a simple turn of the switch after a fish on release brings them up before you can bring the fish in.

A swivel base on either is a very convenient feature that I would not be without. Also the Scotty can be lifted to a vertical position for traveling or tight clearance purposes. While I have seen people trailer their boats with the Scotty in the vertical position I do not consider it very stable, It is only locked in by a plastic block. I prefer to rotate mine to an inboard position.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #6
Jurasic Cowboy
Chromer

I ran the Mag5's for years on my boat. No issues and they worked great. Upgraded to the Digitroll 10TS recently. These are sweet.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:11 AM   #7
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurasic Cowboy View Post
I ran the Mag5's for years on my boat. No issues and they worked great. Upgraded to the Digitroll 10TS recently. These are sweet.
You have a Hummingbird finder to run them?
Old 01-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
Jurasic Cowboy
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
No they have their own transducer on them and I networked them.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #9
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Quote:
No they have their own transducer on them and I networked them.
Ok, so how do the work? Is there a depth Off the bottom you set and they stay there? Say 5’ off?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
Jurasic Cowboy
Chromer

Quote:
Ok, so how do the work? Is there a depth Off the bottom you set and they stay there? Say 5’ off?
You can set the depth that you want them to go to. You can have them oscillate between two different depths or you can have them bottom track where you set the distance off the bottom that you want to run. For stacking they work great because you can clip on your first line at the ball drop it down 10' then zero the depth and clip on your next line. When they come up the will stop at "0" so you can take your first release off then bring them up to the bottom release. They also display the depth on the screen from the transducer.

One thing though is if you have Chirp on your main sonar turn that off and use traditional sonar as the Chirp seems to mess with the transducer for the downriggers. I only do this when I'm bottom tracking.

Last edited by Jurasic Cowboy; 01-12-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Jurasic Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, so how do the work? Is there a depth Off the bottom you set and they stay there? Say 5’️ off?
You can set the depth that you want them to go to. You can have them oscillate between two different depths or you can have them bottom track where you set the distance off the bottom that you want to run. For stacking they work great because you can clip on your first line at the ball drop it down 10' then zero the depth and clip on your next line. When they come up the will stop at "0" so you can take your first release off then bring them up to the bottom release. They also display the depth on the screen from the transducer.

One thing though is if you have Chirp on your main sonar turn that off and use traditional sonar as the Chirp seems to mess with the transducer for the downriggers. I only do this when I'm bottom tracking.
Sounds cool! Some of my most intense hook ups at Wickiup was when I was brining up the weight. The quick up made the Kokes strike. So the occilatiing sounds like it would be awesome.

I read an article about guides using them on the Columbia to track the bottom for nooks and hookup increased
Old 01-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #12
Jurasic Cowboy
Chromer

Quote:
Sounds cool! Some of my most intense hook ups at Wickiup was when I was brining up the weight. The quick up made the Kokes strike. So the occilatiing sounds like it would be awesome.

I read an article about guides using them on the Columbia to track the bottom for nooks and hookup increased
I have been meaning to try that on the Big CR just haven't been enough fish to make it worth the effort.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #13
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

I’ve owned different brands and models and the current generation Cannon is by far the best I’ve ever owned or used. That is a great price too.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #14
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
Some of my most intense hook ups at Wickiup was when I was brining up the weight.
You brined your weight? Wow, that's hard core.

I was thinking about the Mag 5's but I knew that I would need the swivel mounts, which are included with the Mag 10's, but not the 5's. The other difference is the extendable boom, which is no biggie to me, but nice to have. So I went with the 10's.

I wouldn't even consider another brand. Scotty is cheaper, simpler, and easy to find parts for, but I like Cannon's features and quality.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:45 PM   #15
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pump View Post
Quote:
Some of my most intense hook ups at Wickiup was when I was brining up the weight.
You brined your weight? Wow, that's hard core. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

I was thinking about the Mag 5's but I knew that I would need the swivel mounts, which are included with the Mag 10's, but not the 5's. The other difference is the extendable boom, which is no biggie to me, but nice to have. So I went with the 10's.

I wouldn't even consider another brand. Scotty is cheaper, simpler, and easy to find parts for, but I like Cannon's features and quality.
Ha! Dang Soell chicker