Custom Edge Marine OS - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 01-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
yeep740
Ifish Nate

Default Custom Edge Marine OS

Looking for feedback on anyone that has had one built by them? I am going to be upgrading this year or next, and am trying to find that perfect balance of comfort and economy. I think that will come in a 26' aluminum boat. Looking to see if I can get away with running a single (350 or 425) or have to run twin 200's. Would like to see 2.5mpg or better for an avg tuna trip.

I have always liked the Edge Marine Boats, and know they have been building hard top OS models for the past few years. They are undecided if they are going to be at the boat show this year, so reaching out to see if anyone has any first hand experience with one of these custom boats.

Also, eyeing (along with a long list) the new Hewes Alaskan 25' or 27'.

Thanks for any comments or feedback.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 05:17 AM   #2
basin212
Steelhead

Default Re: Custom Edge Marine OS

Edge will build what you want, either spec or custom build the guys are good to work with and know there stuff. I have been in a couple of 25's and 26's both with 300's and 350's all zukes, that hull runs out good and the ride is unreal cruise all day at 30-35 especially the 350 Duo Prop zuke best outboard on the market for a single or multiple application.

Call down to the factory and ask for Tom. I wouldn't bother with the Y as there has been trouble in the past.
basin212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #3
dakunah
Steelhead

They built mine, delivered last year. Couldn't be happier. Essentially every boat they build is custom since they build to order. I added the big fuel tank, a second transom door, additional railing and swing-down ladders on the offshore bracket, 20hp kicker upgrade. Absolute monster of a boat. Outruns my buddy's seahawk, great fuel economy with the 200 digi Suzi. Custom trailer is a jewel. People that would get sick in any conditions on my old boat never feel a thing in this one. Final cost was less than I would have paid for a similar size stock NR. But they're not a 'dealer', they're a builder. Don't expect financing or a showroom or any haggling. Pick your boat, don't pester them while they're building it, show up with your money when they're done.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
crownpoint54
Steelhead

Is Reuben still working for the new owner?
crownpoint54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
TanTastic84
Coho

Their hull design really has me thinking about them too. I have three more years before I pull the trigger on a new boat but they are tied on the top of my list between one other company.

I just want to see their boats in person and see if a couple of my (and my wife's) "must haves" can be accommodated. Then, as with everything in life, price will make the decision for us.
TanTastic84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #6
Poolgods
Fry

Default Custom Edge Marine OS

Absolutely love mine , 24’ with 300.
120 fuel. Great ride and good on the gas, if you can stay out of full throttle
I believe Rueben is still there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poolgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
yeep740
Ifish Nate

What is the opinion of the fit and finish of their wiring? I’d like it to be turn key with electronics but knowing that most factory wiring jobs leave something to be desired I am hesitant.

Also, how many people that have 26’+ off shore boats use a rear helm for tuna? I don’t really see where it is too necessary.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Poolgods:

Thanks for the photo. That's a heck of a hull design. No wonder they're fast and fuel efficient. The key is how little boat is out of the water forward of the water line. Thoroughly impressed.

Brandon. You brought up a good question about wiring. It should be accessible from power source to terminal end without cutting the floor out. I had to cut the floor out.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:05 AM   #9
500000KV
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeep740 View Post
What is the opinion of the fit and finish of their wiring? I’d like it to be turn key with electronics but knowing that most factory wiring jobs leave something to be desired I am hesitant.

Also, how many people that have 26’+ off shore boats use a rear helm for tuna? I don’t really see where it is too necessary.

We have a 28’ w/ rear helm. It’s a must have IMO. Running boat from rear allows you to actively fish and be involved in all aspects. Well worth it for us.

Last edited by 500000KV; 01-09-2020 at 03:08 AM.
500000KV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #10
yeep740
Ifish Nate

bump for more review, opinions on their Edge boats!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #11
hoser
Steelhead

I have a 2015 23 feet 200 Yami. They didn't offer the transom door when I purchased mine but I wish they did.
Y Marina did the install on the electronics. It could have been done better.
Very satisfied with the boat. Take a ride in one if you get a chance. I was set on the NR but changed my mind after taking a ride in the Edge. Looks and rides better.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:48 PM   #12
Timber Tech
Sturgeon

They are really purdy... that’s for sure. What do they cost and why get one over a Weldcraft or Duckworth OS? Looking at hull design the Ducks and Hewes look the best. 7 years ago I wouldn’t have thought of Hewes But now I think they might have the best hull design.
Timber Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:19 AM   #13
basin212
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Tech View Post
They are really purdy... that’s for sure. What do they cost and why get one over a Weldcraft or Duckworth OS? Looking at hull design the Ducks and Hewes look the best. 7 years ago I wouldn’t have thought of Hewes But now I think they might have the best hull design.

Better hull design with the tapered step chines, 8' bottom with more deadrise under you butt where it counts reducing the pounding most get out of a metal boat. Edge also put a lot of work into the delta pad at the back of the boat for effeciency, stability and performance. Not to mention .250 bottom .190 sides and a truly custom boat builder who will work their customers to build what ever they could want.

Hewes New Alaskan is a well designed boat, but not much difference than a NR OS/ Almar sounder with the full length step chine.

Weldcraft and Ducks same boat Uber tall sides and not as much deadrise where it counts.
basin212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:24 AM   #14
jet2go
Chromer

On the rear helm question, I was always in the camp that thought they weren't worth it - until I got my SilverStreak with a rear helm station. It is awesome, and I can't imagine getting another boat without it. Great when tuna fishing, and really great when pulling shrimp/crab traps to be right on the back deck. Get it, you will like it!