Commuting to PSU - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 01-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

Default Commuting to PSU

My daughter plans to attend PSU next term. I avoid the cesspool that is Portland at all cost so my experience in parking near PSU is what I hear, not much if any real practical experience.

Is it feasible to park down there, I know there are parking garages, but are they usually full? are they so expensive you cant afford them? I have heard parking is a nightmare downtown, which is what keeps light rail (Max) in business. Or is there parking easy obtainable?

Coming from Amity, and doing the mass transit game, I see she can catch the Wes train in Wilsonville or Tualatin up to Beaverton Transit Center, then catch the Max to PDX on what looks like either the Red or Blue line, then South on the Yellow or green line. Sounds like a nightmare to me, but maybe it works out really fast and is better than sitting on the HWY in bumper to bumper traffic doing the 5 mph tail light crawl.

Maybe there is an express bus route to the PSU from the south side??

For those who have attended PSU and commuted, what worked for you and what didnt. I have never been on the Max, nor intend to be

We have a couple months to put a plan together to get her to and from school. Looking for info from those who have navigate this path.

Thanks,

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
loper
King Salmon

Default Re: Commuting to PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait O Eggs View Post
I have never been on the Max, nor intend to be
That would be pre-season scouting.

Just like what one does for hunting and fishing.

Experience it once so that one is fully-informed.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Fishfeet
King Salmon

My daughter lived in Troutdale when she attended PSU.
She drove to the nearest Max terminal and took that the rest of the way.
At least, I think that's where she parked.

I avoid Potland driving at all costs also.

Last edited by Fishfeet; 01-15-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Fishfeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
NorthPlainsDrifter
Chromer

Is s dorm possible? I would think the cost might be the similar and then no commute.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
NorthPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
Wreckless
King Salmon

BOE you are right about the commute nightmare. Like you I avoid mass transit like the plague (for the same reasons, BTW). A relative of mine worked cleaning a commuter train in Portland. She said, "....I would NEVER ride ANY of these trains unless I ABSOLUTELY had to....". To say they are covered in feces is GENEROUS!

Has she looked into Chemeketa?

It might be easier to drive to Western Oregon State or heck, Oregon State!

As usual, I'm little to no help.

Good luck to you and her!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post

Has she looked into Chemeketa?

It might be easier to drive to Western Oregon State or heck, Oregon State!

As usual, I'm little to no help.

Good luck to you and her!
She is just finishing up her second year at Chemeketa, I was hoping she would go to Oregon State, a 39 mile, 45 minute drive down HWY 99, or WSU 20 miles closer, literally no traffic, the occasional slow tractor. She wants to do a program at PSU, I am trying to figure out how she can make the commute work, she doesnt want to live up there, or least doesnt think so. I am pretty sure she can commute cheaper than living in PDX, but dont know for sure. We are looking at options, I am sure somebody here knows the best way to get there.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
MikeT
Tuna!

On the TriMet website is a trip planner. She can input the starting and ending locations and get options on bus and/or train routes.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait O Eggs View Post
She is just finishing up her second year at Chemeketa, I was hoping she would go to Oregon State, a 39 mile, 45 minute drive down HWY 99, or WSU 20 miles closer, literally no traffic, the occasional slow tractor. She wants to do a program at PSU, I am trying to figure out how she can make the commute work, she doesnt want to live up there, or least doesnt think so. I am pretty sure she can commute cheaper than living in PDX, but dont know for sure. We are looking at options, I am sure somebody here knows the best way to get there.
OK, like I said, I'm no help at all.

Good luck, It's doable, heck I did it for 3 years from Gaston.......25 years ago.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
RichB
Cutthroat

I was using MAX to get to PSU for many years until 2014. I would ride from Beaverton to the Goose Hollow stop and there was a bus a block away that went to PSU. Or I would walk for 15 minutes to campus if I was not in a hurry. If I would stay on the train to pioneer square then take the other train or street car it would take another 25-30 minutes to get to campus. I would use the MAX time to work on homework or read and it goes by fast.

The Tri-met trip planner mentioned before will help you decide the best route.

Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #10
uhmw
King Salmon

After having worked in the under belly of Portland for 30 years one thing I have learned is that If you can arrive in down town by 7am everything is butter. It turns to sh!+ by 7:15 She can get in early park and go to the library. I love that place. Time to learn about sacrifice and early to rise is the first to shine.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #11
Joe C
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmw View Post
After having worked in the under belly of Portland for 30 years one thing I have learned is that If you can arrive in down town by 7am everything is butter. It turns to sh!+ by 7:15 She can get in early park and go to the library. I love that place. Time to learn about sacrifice and early to rise is the first to shine.
Anything after 930 am is pretty quick in and out too. At least from Beaverton.

College students shouldn't be scheduling any classes before 11 am anyway. Sleep is too valuable.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #12
uhmw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Anything after 930 am is pretty quick in and out too. At least from Beaverton.

College students shouldn't be scheduling any classes before 11 am anyway. Sleep is too valuable.
Ya right I had 15 credits and first practice knocked out by 11 am. I worked 2 jobs and partied like a rock star all at the same time. Received a bachelors of science at a public university in 3-3/4 years debt free with mommy and daddy paying nothing - Its all about timing.

Last edited by uhmw; 01-15-2020 at 04:26 PM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #13
NEUTRON
Sturgeon

I spent 16 years working very close to there. I'd guess parking to be 150 - 200 a month.

I am guessing this will be your best bet :
Maybe there is an express bus route to the PSU from the south side??

something up 99...

good luck!
Buckeye Troll club, #1 poison nut hater. Cry Feeesh Member 91.
NEUTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
gettin' fishy
Sturgeon

I commuted from Aurora to PSU in the early 2000's. I would drive from Aurora to Tigard and catch a bus to the campus. Parking was available on campus, but I think it was about $8 a day in the parking structure. I'm sure its a lot more now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #15
luckyr
Tuna!

My daughter went to PSU about five years ago. I was worried about the commute so she stayed in the dorm the first year. She hated it, her room mate was a freak.

Second year she decided to move home and commute. I believe she had a parking spot in a garage that was managed by the school. Covered parking in a garage, same spot all year. I think it was a gated type garage that was monitored by security cameras. The commute wasn't to bad because she selected class times that would make it easy as possible. The school has easy access on and off the 405.
luckyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #16
Pescadote
Tuna!

My daughter commuted there for three years from Salem, just graduating last year. She lived in the dorm one year and hated it.
She paid around $400 per term for parking in the PSU garage. The rates are online.

Commuting wasn’t ideal, but overall a lot cheaper living at home even with parking and fuel. She also tried to time her coming and going to minimize traffic. Would stay in library and study until after rush hour, etc.

She is now working in her chosen field, however, and is glad that she doesn’t have to drive there every day!
Pescadote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #17
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

My daughter's doing it now. $400 parking a term, still not garuanteed a spot or something.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:36 PM   #18
Gus Orviston
Flatlander

Long commute. Don’t drive it. Parking was fubar at psu 30 years ago.

The train can give her great study time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gus Orviston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:05 PM   #19
winterkill
Ifish Nate

Anything is doable but there will be a lot of sunk time on her commute.
winterkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #20
Han Solo
King Salmon

I've called Portland home since 1972 and things have ... well things have changed. Retired 20 somethings, sidewalk campers, bums at every on ramp and parking lot and lumbersexuals to name a few. That stupid show Portlandia is more of a historical documentary than anything else.

I attended PSU for less than one term before I moved to UP. The class sizes for undergrad lectures are huge (100 +) and the instructors and TAs will not speak english as a first language. That parking pass you buy from PSU is best regarded as a license to hunt for a parking spot.

Portland has undertaken a huge effort over long years to make drivers miserable with expensive and limited parking and crowded roadways. The many roads and freeways are not improved or widened and often a lane is given to bicyclists who pay no road taxes and are unlicensed. The militant Portland bike riders are a breed apart. They fail to follow traffic laws and are a total nuisance for drivers trying to use the roads. Metro keeps building more and more transit hoping the drivers will give in and ride it. There are many commute options that don't involve driving or parking downtown. We visit downtown now and then and NEVER park there unless we are charging the car at 2nd and Salmon. Parking while charging the electric car is free and the cost of membership for that spot is not for most people. We park at the Expo center or Delta park and ride for free and then ride the max downtown to visit Kells or Powells books.

Study the Trimet service map and schedules and find the route that gets you from a convenient for you park and ride to PSU. The park and ride should be on the south side of town or you will get stuck in traffic. Buy a Hop pass and see about reduced trimet fares for active students. Student discounts are your friend.

If you avoid transfers on Trimet you can get a decent trip that does not take too long. Add 1/2 hour for each transfer because you will miss the connection more often than not.

Congratulations on your aspiring student.
Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:41 PM   #21
Joe C
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmw View Post
Ya right I had 15 credits and first practice knocked out by 11 am. I worked 2 jobs and partied like a rock star all at the same time. Received a bachelors of science at a public university in 3-3/4 years debt free with mommy and daddy paying nothing - Its all about timing.
Nowadays if you work or go to school somewhere with a commute, it helps to be able to set your own schedule. Stay off the highways between 7-9 am and 3-6 pm. Time is too valuable.

You can carry a full class load and get by with going to college two days a week or three days a week if your classes are available. The days are long, but the time off is fantastic.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote