Rocky Ridge Ranch Oregon Lakes? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 01-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
skunkpatrol
Steelhead

Default Rocky Ridge Ranch Oregon Lakes?

Looking to take my high-school age son to a pay to play place this Spring. He's just getting into fly fishing, and I figured starting on still water with known quantities of fish might smooth the ramp a bit.

Anyone fish the ponds at Rocky Ridge Ranch near out by the White River?

Thanks!

skunkpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
Snapt
Super Moderator

Default Re: Rocky Ridge Ranch Oregon Lakes?

I haven’t fished them but I have seen a couple of them from the road. I knew a guy that liked to fish there. There is also a rental cabin available on at least one of the lakes. The Grass Valley lakes, not far from there, are another option. Contact the Deschutes Angler, in Maupin, about them. I know another ranch near Maupin that has a few small stocked ponds and is a bit less expensive. They have fewer and smaller fish, but are still fun. PM me if you want more info about them. Early spring is the best time to fish the private ponds in central Oregon, before they warm and weed up. They teem with insects, including, damsels, calibaetis, and chironomids.
Snapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
uhmw
King Salmon

I have had good luck teaching fly fishing from a float tube. If you don't have a float tube you can buy one with the cash you plan to invest with the pay to play . float around any one of the 100's of lakes that get stocked by ODFW. I would first start off with small ponds like lost lake or Vernonia pond both of those ponds get stocked with lunkers too. One aspect or allure to fishing is the sense of accomplishment in planning and capturing the game you are looking for. You can go over the ODFW stocking schedule with him and try and find the optimum lake and day to fish.

Last edited by uhmw; 01-14-2020 at 09:18 AM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
wungjird
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkpatrol View Post
Looking to take my high-school age son to a pay to play place this Spring. He's just getting into fly fishing, and I figured starting on still water with known quantities of fish might smooth the ramp a bit.

Anyone fish the ponds at Rocky Ridge Ranch near out by the White River?

Thanks!
I have fished there a handful of times. I would recomend a float tube and sink tip on you line the larger second lake where the cabin is. if you fish the first lake on the main property fish at the launch and wade out a bit can cast and retrieve. They seem to cruise around a lot.

It can get very windy!

Wooly Buggers in olive, tan and black work well, all with a bead head.

Derrick