Show up for Salmon! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
[email protected]
AdminiMom

Default Show up for Salmon!

In my mail from The Guides Forecast

Nearly 20 years ago, we (Bob Rees and brother Doug) started The Guide’s Forecast to bring a community of anglers together in what we thought would be a platform for advocacy for Pacific Northwest Fisheries. Although we’ve certainly enjoyed bringing you the most complete and accurate fishing information and forecast for all these years, I remain perplexed on what it takes to bring anglers out to fight for a future for our fish.

Don’t worry, we’re not going anywhere, but the need to fight for a future for the sport we love so much and have built a livelihood on (in the case of 23 years as a professional fishing guide) is greater now than ever before. We need anglers to tell their stories of who helped them catch their first fish, why certain rivers mean so much to you, and most importantly, how we can ensure a legacy of opportunity like what we had back in the “good ‘ol days.”

Katri Rees with her 1st Columbia River Chinook salmon

We believe the current downturn in our fisheries won’t last forever, there are hopefully better times ahead, but we’re nearing rock bottom and if we don’t come together as a community, the status quo will drive our fish to extinction sooner than you think.

We’ll try and do a better job of letting you know where to focus your efforts and as is the case today, we’ll even try to sweeten the pot to try and get your involved.

Recently we shared some Columbia Sportswear Employee Passes and it was a BIG HIT. We still have some employee passes left that should go to deserving participants in Vancouver, Washington this Thursday (January 9th) at 5:30 p.m.

Governor Inslee is testing the waters to see if those that care about salmon will show up to be a part of the state’s STAKEHOLDER PROCESS to determine if Snake River Dam removal should be an option if Snake River salmon continue their pathway to extinction.

Your chance to participate will be THIS THURSDAY, January 9th, starting around 5:30 p.m. Here are the deeper details:

January 9th from 6:00pm – 9:00 pm: Vancouver
Washington State University Vancouver – Dengerink Administration Building (VDEN)
14204 NE Salmon Creek Ave, Vancouver, WA 98686-9600

Yeah, it’s not a sexy process, another hearing, I know. It’s hard to get excited about it, but it’s what we need to do to give salmon a fighting chance and also improve our odds at catching one!

Remember back in 2002 when we got to fish nearly 40 days during peak season on the Columbia River? Remember when we could keep 2 Columbia River spring Chinook each day if we were lucky enough? Yea, I almost forgot too. Here’s a little reminder of where we are today, and what we used to have for opportunity:

Yea, we’ll be lucky to get another 7 days into April in 2020 too. I thought recovery was supposed to get better over time. Why do we keep sliding backwards?

So come and meet me in room 129 in the VDEN building and not only will you get to advocate for improving our Columbia River spring Chinook salmon seasons, but I’ll share 2 free Employee Store passes to Columbia Sportswear where you have access to DEEP DISCOUNTS to Mountain Hardwear, SOREL, prAna, and fo course Columbia Sportswear! A trip to the Employee Store will save you bundles on high-quality gear if/when we do get to fish for spring Chinook on the Columbia in April this year and in the future.

Help us Save Our Salmon for you and for future generations of anglers up and down the Columbia River!

RSVP your attendance to me at [email protected] or text/call (503) 812-9036 so I can be sure to bring enough store passes! Thank you for caring for our salmon, YOU will be the voice for recovery!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
loper
King Salmon

Default Re: Show up for Salmon!

ttt
Old 01-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
loper
King Salmon

the draft Stakeholder Engagement Report

link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

Tear down those dams Mr. Inslee!
Hydrophilic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
flopearedmule
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrophilic View Post
I'll try to make it
flopearedmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
LineIsTight
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrophilic View Post
Agreed! Give the salmon back what was rightfully theirs and they will hopefully be able to recover....one dam at a time. Not to mention all the restoration efforts that need to start up while maintaining the current efforts. WE need able bodied people and so do the salmon!
LineIsTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

Loper linked a good read for those interested.

Took a snapshot of a paragraph I liked.

- Less than 50% of the portion of the mainstem snake used by Salmon remains accessible.

- 120,000 upland birds?

Last edited by Hydrophilic; 01-07-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

bump
Old 01-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
Finsalong
Tuna!

Very interesting process. There is much more at stake than just the fish. One thing is for sure, if you remove those dams, we the people are going to pay more for food, transportation, and electricity.

There was no speaker for the rate payers, and end users that benefit the from the dams. No one point that out, I will be more involved in the future.

Just removing those dams is not going to bring back the habitat ecosystem immediately. This is a different ecosystem than the Elwah, it is not directly connected to the ocean. The other fact is there is even more dams upstream from here.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
Merganser99
Tuna!

I attended the meeting. In general, it was encouraging to see people with diametrically opposed opinions having a civil discussion. At the end of the panel discussion, each panelist was given the opportunity to answer the question "how do we move forward from here?" These are not necessarily the answers given, but the thoughts that came to me as I listened.
1. What is the end goal of this engagement process? For some, it is SRKW recovery. For others it is Snake River salmon recovery. For yet others it is the preservation of the benefits of the dams.
2. Expect conflict. Don't be afraid to try anyway.
3. Almost everyone agrees that litigation has accomplished little, and is unlikely to resolve the issues in the future.
4. There is little appetite for more studies. Make a decision, come up with a plan, implement it quickly, and hope to God it works.
5. There will be losers if the dams are breached. They are not bad people. They simply relied on an infrastructure that would go away. Are they owed anything?
6. Treaty tribes are the only ones who actually have legal rights to the Snake River salmon spelled out. Those rights have been ignored too long. (All the rest of us have the privilege to fish. Privileges are more easily removed than rights.)
7. The issues are huge and complex. There are no guarantees that taking or failing to take certain actions will lead to certain outcomes. Be very wary of anyone who tells you that breaching the dams is the only way to save salmon and orcas. At the same time, be equally wary of anyone who says that preserving the dams is the only way to have economic prosperity in southeastern Washington. There is great uncertainty on both sides of the debate.

Last edited by Merganser99; 01-10-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Merganser99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
ccw
King Salmon

Farmers can rail and truck goods to market instead of barging. Yes it will affect the profit margin of some, and raise rates for some power. The salmon are worth it. The rivers are worth it.

Drop the dams.

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote