Durable Salmon Rods - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 03-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
stanleyrcs
Cutthroat

Default Durable Salmon Rods

Wanted to reach out to the salty dog community and see if there are any recommendations for economic durable salmon rods. A little background info. I bought my boat 5 years ago, and fish mostly salmon, bottom fish, and halibut. Typically I try and get out 15-20 times a year. I fish out of PC in a Dory and travel from valley, and usually back the same day unless i stay for a long weekend. My problem is that over the past 5 years I have gone through ~10 salmon rods. I will be honest and say that my care for my rods in not especially great. I have bought some discount shimano rods that held up decent, but the eyes began to fail. Last year I bought 6 of the Fishermans Marine tent sale shimano rods and have (~$40/ea) and 4 have broke on fish. I have lost a couple others brand rods to fish as well. I am considering just switching to a heavier ugly stick as it seems alot of old timers run those, and I have never had one break either. But I would like to fish a little lighter rod so that I can actually feel the fish. My main assumptions with these rod failures is the driving back and forth (bouncing, hitting other rods) causing micro cracking in the rod, and probably combined with the fact I fish mostly with delta or deep 6 divers that causes a lot of stress in the rods as well. Let me know what you think, mainly looking for an affordable durable option.

Thanks

stanleyrcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
Thucker
Chromer

Default Re: Durable Salmon Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyrcs View Post
Wanted to reach out to the salty dog community and see if there are any recommendations for economic durable salmon rods. A little background info. I bought my boat 5 years ago, and fish mostly salmon, bottom fish, and halibut. Typically I try and get out 15-20 times a year. I fish out of PC in a Dory and travel from valley, and usually back the same day unless i stay for a long weekend. My problem is that over the past 5 years I have gone through ~10 salmon rods. I will be honest and say that my care for my rods in not especially great. I have bought some discount shimano rods that held up decent, but the eyes began to fail. Last year I bought 6 of the Fishermans Marine tent sale shimano rods and have (~$40/ea) and 4 have broke on fish. I have lost a couple others brand rods to fish as well. I am considering just switching to a heavier ugly stick as it seems alot of old timers run those, and I have never had one break either. But I would like to fish a little lighter rod so that I can actually feel the fish. My main assumptions with these rod failures is the driving back and forth (bouncing, hitting other rods) causing micro cracking in the rod, and probably combined with the fact I fish mostly with delta or deep 6 divers that causes a lot of stress in the rods as well. Let me know what you think, mainly looking for an affordable durable option.

Thanks
If you're that abusive on your gear, I think Uglysticks are your best option. The other option is to add a S&C rod rack on the transom or build one like it and set the rods in them to keep them separated while transporting.

Last edited by Thucker; 03-24-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Thucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
Richter
Chromer

Considering the abuse I would give another vote for Ugly Stik. They are almost unbreakable.
Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
ron m
King Salmon

Another vote for improving rod storage especially during transit. Having a rod break because of having a fish on should be an extremely rare event. Might want to think about how you use/hold the rod while fighting a fish. Also, do you fish alone or do you take folks that are new to fishing and don't know how to handle or care for a rod?
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
slinger
Chromer

Look at the Okuma Classic Pro GLT. Fiberglass blanks with EVA handles. Lots of Great Lakes charter boats run them because they're durable and super cheap. And when you can fish three rods a person it helps if the rods only cost 30 bucks a pop.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
Puffin
Sturgeon

I don’t know many that abuse their gear or use it more often then myself in and out of the rig for daily trips run back-and-forth to the coast with them piled in the camper I use the daiwa $20 tent sale at Fishermens rods they work great before that I used Abu Garcia brute Rods cost $13 at the sportsman show. Basic fiberglass fishing poles. the daiwa rods are 20 bucks I’ve never had an issue and I meanThey get used halibut salmon tuna bottom fish no problem and if the thing goes away it was 20 bucks I buy them about a half a dozen at a time. Fuji guides extra long for grip you won’t find a better bargain anywhere and a great fishing pole fact two of my buddies took them on the long range trip down to San Diego this last year and wailed on tuna down there with them
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

That's alot of rods to go thru. The Berkeley Buzz Ramsey IM7 rods are pretty durable and won't break the bank. They have a metal guide insert and I've never seen one come out. Work good with braid.
Jedcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
BigBlueFisher
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedcraft View Post
That's alot of rods to go thru. The Berkeley Buzz Ramsey IM7 rods are pretty durable and won't break the bank. They have a metal guide insert and I've never seen one come out. Work good with braid.
BigBlueFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
RWTIII
Tuna!

Sounds like you are using the same rods for all three fish species. If so I would suggest buying 3 or 4 Salmon/Bottom Fish rods, depending on how many people you take with you, and then buy the same number of heavier Halibut/Tuna rods. Due to the different stresses on the rods it's not a one rods fits all deal. There are plenty of rod brands that will fit the bill. I would probably stick to fiberglass, Ugly Sticks, Sturdy Sticks come to mind but there are a lot of options out there depending on what price range your looking at.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #10
The Pew
Sturgeon

Shimano makes a good one. It’s a talora dipsy diver rod. I like TLA90M2A or TLA90MH2A

They have gone up a little in price it looks like but I don’t baby my rods and these have held up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
rogueriverfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedcraft View Post
I second this, that’s the only rod type I run for ocean salmon fishing, both downrigger and diver fishing, pretty darn rough on my gear as well, haven’t broke one yet
rogueriverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:17 AM   #12
PDXanglr
Steelhead

I've had a Shimano Clarus, 9'6", in 10-30# line wt for over 5 years. Fished many rivers and the big pond. Caught all kinds of salmon, big lings, halibut, sturgeon, etc. and never a problem. Still going strong.
PDXanglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #13
stanleyrcs
Cutthroat

Thanks for all the info I will take a look at those options
stanleyrcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #14
Tiny
Chromer

I can't speak for the more recent Buzz Ramsey rods, but I broke a lot of the early ones. What I learned from that was I could buy a really nice used Lamiglas rod for about the price of a new Buzz and I almost never break one of those. The good news is the research is fun. Cheers!!
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #15
2slow
Chromer

Fiberglass is the way to go. Rainshadow makes a fiberglass blank in its downrigger line. It is an RDR86MH. I have used this a lot pulling Delta Divers at Buoy 10, great rod, bullet proof. Any fiberglass is much more durable than graphite.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #16
Puffin
Sturgeon

Definitely some type of underlying problem here in 50+ years of fishing I could easily count on one hand the amount of rods I’ve broken on fish extremely rare so somethings going on for sure that’s not normal. I always tell guys when they say they broke their rod on the fish that fish don’t break rods fisherman break rods there’s always a reason whether it be high sticking poor treatment bangin a graphite rod around somethings definitely going on and it’s probably not travel because like I say I heave them in the boat in the camper travel with them all jiggling and banging around I don’t take any special care of my rods Plus they are handled by all manner of people many of who don’t regularly fish they get abused as much as any piece of equipment possibly could and I don’t break rods.
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.

Last edited by Puffin; 03-29-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #17
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Me and Puffin seem to be able to find ways to disagree about many things even though we have over 100 years of fishing between us, mostly salt. In this case I fully agree that something highly unusual is going on...In all those years I've seen maybe three rods broken in a fish, one personally, and a couple more from getting stupid while hung on the bottom, though I've had numerous eyes and tips fail, mostly from abuse and careless travel practices, like forgetting to take them out of the rod holders on my dory and getting home with a lot of pinecones inside the boat.

What could the problem be? The only things that come to mind are that someone is pulling way too hard on fish, has made an art out of high sticking, or has a significant other who hates fishing and has learned how effective a well placed nick with a file can be. Hmm. Until that underlying problem is addressed, rods will continue to fail, often.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 03-30-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Joe Evens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #18
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Evens View Post
Me and Puffin seem to be able to find ways to disagree about many things even though we have over 100 years of fishing between us, mostly salt. In this case I fully agree that something highly unusual is going on...In all those years I've seen maybe three rods broken in a fish, one personally, and a couple more from getting stupid while hung on the bottom, though I've had numerous eyes and tips fail, mostly from abuse and careless travel practices, like forgetting to take them out of the rod holders on my dory and getting home with a lot of pinecones inside the boat.

What could the problem be? The only things that come to mind are that someone is pulling way too hard on fish, has made an art out of high sticking, or has a significant other who hates fishing and has learned how effective a well placed nick with a file can be. Hmm. Until that underlying problem is addressed, rods will continue to fail, often.

I'm with Joe... A pound of prevention is far better than a pound of cure. Learn the "don't do that" you'll break the rod rules. I don't want to be mean but I would have to ask what the boat looks like if there is that little care over the fish poles. Furthermore, what reels are you using and what line? It's not just a fish pole it's a tool to catch fish. Fiberglass poles are "ok" for an almost unbreakable pole but the reel and line are equally important. Again; learn to use the tool correctly and it will serve you better.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote