Fished Galesville Reservoir. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 04-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
Damon
Steelhead

Default Fished Galesville Reservoir.

Finally got to give that lake a shot (down near Canyonville). Four of us bass fished all day Thurs. to no avail. I went back and fished Fri. Tried for crappie I've heard rumors of but no go. I did get a bunch of stocker trout and 5 really nice kokanee. The best part was catching them all just drift fishing with a ultra light, crappie jig, and 4lb test. Gotta go back for the bass that lake seems to have GREAT potential!

Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
fishlipper
Tuna!

Default Re: Fished Galesville Reservoir.

Great lake for bass. It takes a little while longer to heat up, but when it does it can be good. I have fished it a couple of times and I hunt blacktail in that country. Beautiful area, don't give up on it. You will catch fish a little later in the year.
fishlipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
BuKuBass
Tuna!

I fished it back in the late 80s. Try DropShotting the submerged trees in the NE corner.
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
cimfl
Chromer

Having grown up in Glendale, I fished Galesville since the time it was first filled up. They claim that they are managing just for bass. The cover is fantastic to say the least...they didn't fall a single tree in preparation for filling it. I have personally seen a 6lb 8 oz taken from there by my brother, and have seen many that would go larger cruising the shallows. Got me to thinking....I guess I need to get back down there and visit family....it would give me a good reason to hit the lake!
Old 04-23-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Damon
Steelhead

Ya I'm excited about that lake. Certainly seems like the makings of a great bass lake. Thurs. the surface temp. was 57, by Fri. afternoon it was 61. My buddy that lives down there fishes it alot. He has 10.5lb hanging on his wall and I believe he even has caught one bigger. That would be great by me! The biggest I've caught in Oregon was 7.5lbs. And that sucked 'cause it was sooo spawned out it just rolled to the boat!
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:15 AM   #6
bucketmouth
Tuna!

Fished galesville a couple yrs ago. No large bass but got into some slab bluegill. Would love to fish it in Mid to late May. Its obvious that body of water is home to some biguns.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
Fishin Geezer

Hey bucketmouth

Tell me some more about those "slab bluegills" in Galesville. I'd sure like to find some big enough to eat. Or do you eat fish from there? I suppose it's still a "high" mecury alert place.

Anyway, I'd sure appreciate some advice.
Fishin Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

Frank, I don't know about Galesville but if you can come up in September I can get you into some 8"-10" bluegill along with perch and crappie.We can talk about it in May. Looking forward to our next trade. The lingcod was great.
Crappie Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #9
cimfl
Chromer

Hey, just thought I would let ya know your link doesn't work from your posts....it works when I type it in directly though??? Nice site by the way.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:18 AM   #10
bucketmouth
Tuna!

FG, after we put in at the launch we simply went to our left up to an area where the reservior narrows to a creek. We fished small open areas within the stick up trees. We were there in August. The mercury levels are probably high, I'm not doubly sure though, just the reports I've read about bass.

Crappie Chaser, its good to hear you like Lingcod, so do I. Am going deep sea fishing before coming up there, maybe you would like me to bring you some rock fish filets?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:40 AM   #11
Fishin Geezer

Thanks, bucketmouth. Maybe I'll get up there soon and catch them on their spawning beds.

Hi Gary, we're looking forward to next month. Have we started a movement here? Announcing that CC (and Sandy) like ocean fish?? Let's hope so, and I won't elaborate on your reference to a "trade". I'll keep that September bluegill idea in mind.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #12
BuKuBass
Tuna!

"Thanks, bucketmouth. Maybe I'll get up there soon and catch them on their spawning beds."

Here are my thots about those who target spawning bass:

The only thing worse than keeping most the bass that you catch is targeting them while they're on their beds. In the time that it takes you to fight, land, admire and release the bass, most of the eggs or fry will be devoured by opportunists just waiting for the chance.
I regard fishing for bass on beds as unethical, unfair and unwise. They're too easy to catch and the potential for eradicating the next generation is too great.

One study that I read proclaimed that when a male takes 10 minutes to return to it's nest, the eggs and fry are typically preyed upon more than 90 percent of the time, and over 90 percent of such nests are abandoned. And when males return to the nest after an absence just 2 minutes, more than half of the nests will be deserted.
It really chafes my bag that BASS schedules many of its tournaments to coincide with spawning time as it progresses northward. Just so a bunch of wannabes in the crowd will "oooh" and "aaah" when a large bass is held aloft and improperly held at that!

FG...If you care for the future of our sport, DON'T fish the beds!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:27 PM   #13
Fishin Geezer

Do you read english??? We're talking bluegills.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:09 AM   #14
FelonFinder
Tuna!

It seems someone owes someone else an apology.