Initial PFMC ocean alternatives - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
darth baiter
Steelhead

Default Initial PFMC ocean alternatives

Attached contains the first round of ocean salmon fishing alternatives that the PFMC will be reviewing and assessing this week in California. By the end of this weeks meeting they will have 3 Alternatives that will be available for comments and assessments for the next several weeks leading up to the final round of the chosen seasons at the April meeting in Vancouver. This is very first cut for this weeks meeting. Its pretty grim for NOF fisheries as Alternative 3 has no fishing for non treaty. Once again these are the initial round for this week. Things will change this week as modeling progresses and the results are compared to the conservation goals for the various stocks.

https://www.pcouncil.org/documents/2...ch-6-2020.pdf/

Ifish #98 ABC (after board change)
darth baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
ron m
King Salmon

Default Re: Initial PFMC ocean alternatives

Thanks, good to know the alternatives. Even though they may change, the alternatives for the central OR coast are better than I expected. So far I prefer Alt I over Alt II and both over Alt III for the central coast.
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #3
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

ALTERNATIVE I ALTERNATIVE II ALTERNATIVE III North of Cape Falcon North of Cape Falcon North of Cape Falcon Supplemental Management Information Supplemental Management Information Supplemental Management Information Model #: Coho-20xx, Chinook xx20 Model #: Coho-20xx, Chinook xx20 Model #: Coho-20xx, Chinook xx20 1. Overall non-Indian TAC: 60,000 Chinook and 35,000 coho marked with a healed adipose fin clip (marked). 2. Non-Indian commercial troll TAC: 30,000 Chinook and 5,600 marked coho. 3. Trade: May be considered at the April Council meeting. 4. Overall Chinook and/or coho TACs may need to be reduced or fisheries adjusted to meet NMFS ESA guidance, FMP requirements, upon conclusion of negotiations in the North of Falcon forum, or upon receipt of preseason catch and abundance expectations for Canadian and Alaskan fisheries. 1. Overall non-Indian TAC: 45,000 Chinook and 25,000 coho marked with a healed adipose fin clip (marked). 2. Non-Indian commercial troll TAC: 22,500 Chinook and 4,000 marked coho. 3. Trade: 4. Same as Alternative 1 Closed

Not separated/charted out and delineated as in the information but you can get the idea...

Scraping option/alternative 3 (simply not acceptable to Indian treaty nor bi state economics) I'm betting on alternative II. 1. Overall non-Indian TAC: 45,000 Chinook and 25,000 coho marked with a healed adipose fin clip (marked). 2. Non-Indian commercial troll TAC: 22,500 Chinook and 4,000 marked coho.

fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Fully expected the NO FISHING for NON-treaty as the low option with the dismal coho forecast.

Whatever option eventually comes to pass (assuming NON-treaty ocean fisheries are a go) we will run out of coho LONG before we can access the available kings.

They need to just model a more realistic chinook guideline and pass the unused chinook impacts to more terminal inside fisheries.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeFISH View Post
Fully expected the NO FISHING for NON-treaty as the low option with the dismal coho forecast.

Whatever option eventually comes to pass (assuming NON-treaty ocean fisheries are a go) we will run out of coho LONG before we can access the available kings.

They need to just model a more realistic chinook guideline and pass the unused chinook impacts to more terminal inside fisheries.
That is a very pragmatic recommendation.
Pipe Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:14 AM   #6
R Bob
Chromer

Thanks for the link!
R Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
eyeFISH
King Salmon

PFMC 1 adjourned last night....

The options include the following quotas for state recreational fisheries off the Washington coast:

Option 1: 30,000 Chinook and 29,400 marked coho. This option includes an early season Chinook fishery from June 14 through June 28 in all ocean areas, followed by a Chinook and marked coho fishery from June 29 through Sept. 30.

Option 2: 22,125 Chinook and 22,500 marked coho. This option opens Chinook and coho fishing in all ocean areas from June 27 through Sept. 13.

Option 3: All ocean areas closed to salmon fishing.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #8
Seafrk
Ifish Nate

I'm not the brightest bulb , could someone splain to me when we have dwindling coho forecasts are they even contemplating opening up the big pond on June 14th or any time in June period?
Seafrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
Radke
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrk View Post
I'm not the brightest bulb , could someone splain to me when we have dwindling coho forecasts are they even contemplating opening up the big pond on June 14th or any time in June period?
To a great deal, it is political. On our southern Oregon coast, the Coho come in much sooner than they do up north. There are a lot of people who make their living selling guided fishing trips, and they need to be on the water when the fish are there. The political part comes in when the people who make their living selling trips do not get a chance to make a living, they can be vocal.

Last edited by Radke; 03-10-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Radke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #10
Paddler
Ifish Nate

Any updates?

Single main, no kicker.
Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:28 AM   #11
Chum King
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
Any updates?

I replied to your other post on Salty Dog board, but for all:

I'm not sure what updates you might be looking for. The PFMC (https://www.pcouncil.org/) meeting for the 2020 seasons is scheduled to start on April 4. You can find the briefing book materials for the April meeting here: https://www.pcouncil.org/april-2020-briefing-book-2/ I assume you are looking for the salmon information, and that will be under agenda item E. Agenda item E.1.b has summaries of the three public hearings.

The April PFMC meeting will be by webinar only this year. The Salmon Advisory Subpanel will similarly be meeting by webinar only. More information about this and the detailed agenda can be found here: https://www.pcouncil.org/documents/2...ed-agenda.pdf/

Public comments are still being accepted via their E-portal at https://pfmc.psmfc.org/Meeting/Details/1383 through April 2nd. You can also link to the E-portal via the briefing book.
Chum King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #12
darth baiter
Steelhead

An analysis of the 3 ocean alternatives can be found at:

https://www.pcouncil.org/documents/2...report-ii.pdf/

This report provides comparison of modeling the 3 alternatives and the results as it relates to meeting management objectives and fishery distribution. It doesn't go into analysis of inside waters fisheries such as Puget Sound.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #13
eyeFISH
King Salmon

The historic record would lead me to believe the PFMC has neither the discipline nor fortitude to exercise the NO FISHING option NOF for 2020.

If we fish NOF, we will ASSUREDLY run out of coho before we are anywhere close to expending the available chinook.

Hoping sound and intellectually honest thinkers on the council can make the prudent decision to pass those surplus chinook impacts to inside fisheries right out of the gate.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #14
nook of the north
Steelhead

Quote:
The historic record would lead me to believe the PFMC has neither the discipline nor fortitude to exercise the NO FISHING option NOF for 2020.

If we fish NOF, we will ASSUREDLY run out of coho before we are anywhere close to expending the available chinook.

Hoping sound and intellectually honest thinkers on the council can make the prudent decision to pass those surplus chinook impacts to inside fisheries right out of the gate.
Yes!
nook of the north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #15
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Question for darth baiter...

Can't help but notice the huge discrepancy in PFMC's expected chinook:coho ratios between commercial troll and rec.

Commercial trollers are expected to catch chinook over coho at a ratio of just under 6:1 while recs are expected to catch chinook and coho at virtually equal rates 1:1.

The way I see it, there is NOTHING inherently species-selective about the gear either sector is using, so it begs the question of why the huge discrepancy in encounter/landing rates between the two sectors?

Or is it simply that the comm trollers use all their coho as release mortality to gain access to more chinook?

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #16
darth baiter
Steelhead

Quote:

Can't help but notice the huge discrepancy in PFMC's expected chinook:coho ratios between commercial troll and rec.

Commercial trollers are expected to catch chinook over coho at a ratio of just under 6:1 while recs are expected to catch chinook and coho at virtually equal rates 1:1.

The way I see it, there is NOTHING inherently species-selective about the gear either sector is using, so it begs the question of why the huge discrepancy in encounter/landing rates between the two sectors?

Or is it simply that the comm trollers use all their coho as release mortality to gain access to more chinook?
oh boy, there's a number of things going on here but you are sort of getting the gist of it. For the commercial fishery, Chinook are the money fish so they focus on this species. They have the May-Jun Chinook only season where they take a majority of their allowable Chinook catch. In most years, the Chinook abundance is best north in Area 3, 4 in the "the Prairie" and "Blue Dot" etc. Chinook catch in Area 1 is usually pretty light; Area 2 sometimes good. But yes, the trollers would like to use their coho mortalities to cover the impacts for Chinook first, then take some as supplemental MSF catch in the All-Species season in the summer. The recreational fleet has a bit more mixed bag interests. Coho down south, Chinook and coho as you move north. So in the sport fishery, coho is usually the driver and priority. This difference in priority can result in some trading of Chinook and coho impacts between the troll fishery and sports in-season to get one or the other farther along if one is starting to get pinched. Generally, the trade is sports give some Chinook to the troll fishery and the troll fishery gives some coho in return. Trades are made when both sides agree that they will gain something but they have impacts to spare on one species.

One other factor is that the PFMC salmon management plan contains a table of troll vs sport percentages in NOF fisheries. The percentages change with total allowable harvest. The split for Chinook has been 50:50 for most years, including 2020. You will notice that the 2020 alternatives follow this rule. The coho split is bit more confusing but shows that the bulk of the harvest goes to sport.

A table describing the splits is on page 53 of this beast.

https://www.pcouncil.org/documents/2...ndment-19.pdf/

Hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:02 PM   #17
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Where might one see a historic accounting of the commercial "shaker" coho encounters? They gotta cycle thru a pile of coho releases.... or just a bunch of undetected tow mortality until they pull the gear outta the water.

I remember one year testifying at the PFMC Westport hearing in favor of an ocean rec early season MSF for chinook only... citing the exceedingly small likelihood of rec coho encounters during that time.

I was informed by technical staff that while coho encounters were far and few between, they were VERY expensive in terms of Queets coho ER. Wouldn't want us recs out there adding to the demise of this stock of concern. Of course there was no mention of how hard commercial trollers operating in that same early timeframe were hitting those depressed Queets coho.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #18
duke1122
Tuna!

Quote:

Not sure this comment will be of help, but, out of Garibaldi the May and June trollers do a lot of their chinook fishing at 250 to 300 ft. 20 ft. off the bottom. Is it possible that coho don't get encountered much at that depth? If sports wanted to fish for those fish they would have to let the gear sink, slowly power up, let it rise, go to idle, sink it, repeat. With good bait and patience, fish on. Maybe even a halibut or two. IMO.
duke1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #19
eyeFISH
King Salmon

No discipline. No conservation. No problem...

The evolving Ocean Option at PFMC seeks to assert the hi option for coho and midway between the hi and mid option for chinook.

Surprise, surprise.... ( in my best Gomer Pyle)

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #20
ron m
King Salmon

For along the OR coast south of Falcon, the commercial trollers are limited to the number of lines per wire and they mostly fish all of their lines deep. A study was done some years ago and the data showed that less coho were encountered with this limitation and the chinook catch was essentially the same. Most years at OSIGM a few of them complain about this restriction, but the majority support it every year because they get charged for less coho with the limitation.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #21
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Curious if anyone on home quarantine is using the PFMC virtual meeting app to follow the proceedings?

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #22
Two_Dogs
Steelhead

Quote:
Curious if anyone on home quarantine is using the PFMC virtual meeting app to follow the proceedings?
yeah, salmon coming back on at 1PM or 1:30 today. Its pretty slick if you want to try it.
Two_Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #23
LineIsTight
Steelhead

Quote:
I downloaded the app and installed, but have yet to make a meeting....maybe today. Can't believe I'm finding as much to do around my house as I thought I might.....ugh!

For those keeping a close eye on the proceedings of the PFMC...keep us in the know.
Thanks!
LineIsTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #24
LineIsTight
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two_Dogs View Post
yeah, salmon coming back on at 1PM or 1:30 today. Its pretty slick if you want to try it.
Salmon advisory subpanel starts up at 12:30...just a couple minutes from now.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #25
LineIsTight
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineIsTight View Post
Salmon advisory subpanel starts up at 12:30...just a couple minutes from now.
Schedule change for the meeting. Not until 3PM due to negotiations with the tribes running slower than expected. Not sure if it's a COVID-19 issue or just banter back and forth....we will see.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #26
eyeFISH
King Salmon

That's the backdoor stuff that happens out of public sight. Several groups in WA desperately trying to open up those meetings to the light of day so we can all see what happens behind closed doors.

https://www.facebook.com/OpenNOF/

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #27
eyeFISH
King Salmon

I see they need another 1/2 hour on top of the initial delay to conduct their "secret" meeting.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #28
LineIsTight
Steelhead

Quote:
That's the backdoor stuff that happens out of public sight. Several groups in WA desperately trying to open up those meetings to the light of day so we can all see what happens behind closed doors.

https://www.facebook.com/OpenNOF/
Signed the petition while I was waiting for the "secret" meeting to be possibly "partially unveiled".
Old 04-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #29
tailchaser
Sturgeon

Quote:
Where might one see a historic accounting of the commercial "shaker" coho encounters? They gotta cycle thru a pile of coho releases.... or just a bunch of undetected tow mortality until they pull the gear outta the water.

I remember one year testifying at the PFMC Westport hearing in favor of an ocean rec early season MSF for chinook only... citing the exceedingly small likelihood of rec coho encounters during that time.

I was informed by technical staff that while coho encounters were far and few between, they were VERY expensive in terms of Queets coho ER. Wouldn't want us recs out there adding to the demise of this stock of concern. Of course there was no mention of how hard commercial trollers operating in that same early timeframe were hitting those depressed Queets coho.
I know a lot of Commy's out of Coos and they absolutely hammer the shaker coho. I had one friend tell me he estimates releasing 120-200 a day sometimes. Most of them belly up. That's just 1 boat!! I've had discussions with ODFW about my displeasure on it and they just shrug saying there isn't anything they can do. There's a reason a lot of seals trail behind them in the summer picking up easy meals. They simply see it as collateral damage unfortunately.

I do agree that a lot of commy boats troll deeper in general than sports do, but they also start the lines at 50-feet down most of the time and string them down to 200+. So it covers a lot of the water column.

tc
tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #30
eyeFISH
King Salmon

NOF: Chinook problems in CR (LRH tules) Hood Canal and Puget Sound under all three options on the table.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #31
eyeFISH
King Salmon

I sense lots of posturing going on amongst stakeholders without revealing their hand

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #32
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Accepting public comment now.... virtually all commercial trollers, buyers, processors... mostly all in support of proposed options.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #33
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Lots of names being called to testify, but NOT present to comment. Probably couldn't hang around after the LONG delay for backdoor meetings.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #34
eyeFISH
King Salmon

ODFW Chris Kearn advocating for South Oregon (KMZ) June 20 - Aug 4

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #35
LineIsTight
Steelhead

Quote:
Lots of names being called to testify, but NOT present to comment. Probably couldn't hang around after the LONG delay for backdoor meetings.
Did you notice when Phil scrolled down on his spreadsheet that he forgot to round back up to the top of the list where someone wanted to comment? You could see line 6 and on, but 1-5 were covered up. Pretty sure there was one, if not two folks that wanted to comment that weren't listed as commercial, industry, etc. Most comments, if not all, were in support of the most recent proposals.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #36
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineIsTight View Post
Did you notice when Phil scrolled down on his spreadsheet that he forgot to round back up to the top of the list where someone wanted to comment? You could see line 6 and on, but 1-5 were covered up. Pretty sure there was one, if not two folks that wanted to comment that weren't listed as commercial, industry, etc. Most comments, if not all, were in support of the most recent proposals.
He's one SHARP cookie, he got to them all eventually... til no one else responded, even the guy using his wife's iPad account.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #37
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Adjourned til 8AM

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #38
deeplines
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
I know a lot of Commy's out of Coos and they absolutely hammer the shaker coho. I had one friend tell me he estimates releasing 120-200 a day sometimes. Most of them belly up. That's just 1 boat!! I've had discussions with ODFW about my displeasure on it and they just shrug saying there isn't anything they can do. There's a reason a lot of seals trail behind them in the summer picking up easy meals. They simply see it as collateral damage unfortunately.

I do agree that a lot of commy boats troll deeper in general than sports do, but they also start the lines at 50-feet down most of the time and string them down to 200+. So it covers a lot of the water column.

tc
I know many trollers and know for a fact no one would sit on a school of Coho and shake 200 off while fishing Kings. There is King gear and Coho gear, yes there will be incidental Coho catch while fishing Kings but you would be crazy to shake Coho all day.
deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:16 PM   #39
pearl
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplines View Post
to shake Coho all day.
I think this terminology sums it up with in the commercial industry. We just shake em out.

It’s all about now with disregard to the future. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #40
deeplines
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplines View Post
I know many trollers and know for a fact no one would sit on a school of Coho and shake 200 off while fishing Kings. There is King gear and Coho gear, yes there will be incidental Coho catch while fishing Kings but you would be crazy to shake Coho all day.
Trollers south of Falcon are limited to 4 spreads per wire making catching that many Coho a little difficult if your targeting Kings which are deep
deeplines is offline   Reply With Quote