LED trailer lights - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2003 archives

Old 10-04-2003, 10:28 AM   #1
aye fsh
Steelhead

Default LED trailer lights

I currently have the wesbar rectangular sealed capsule lights on my ez loader trailer. Sick and tired of replacing the entire unit, which I have had to do 6 times in the 4 years I've had the boat. I am religious about disconnecting the power before submersing.

Past posts indicate that those of you that have switched to the led setup are quite happy with them. Was wondering if those of you that have them are still satisfied with their performance?

Also, the only submersible product I have seen are the sea-sense brand that are approx. 6" square. Any one seen any that are the 3" x 8" rectangular configuration?

Any info / opinions on the subject will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

TM

#149 to #109, AAaarhuughh...?
aye fsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
Lund

Default Re: LED trailer lights

Harbor Frieght in Portland carries them for about $35 each. They are well worth the money as I have yet to replace mine in several years of submerging them. They are also lots brighter than normal bulbs.
Lund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 01:36 PM   #3
FishinMission

Had mine in for about 6 months now...if it's dark, or semi dark when I launch or take out...I've immersed them "on"..and they're still going great. I love them...would recommend everybody to convert when their regular lights burn out.

Try 'em...you'll like 'em!!

Mark
FishinMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2003, 10:48 AM   #4
boater
Tuna!

i have the westbar capsules on my ez-loader and never unhook them before i dunk the trailer and never have had a problem in over 2 years, i think that unhooking them after they`ve been on for a long time and are hot and dunking them in cold water is worse than leaving them hooked up and on because the heat of the light will not allow condensation to form and rust the things out.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #5
Tilla
King Salmon

Got rid of the capsules. Spent $44 on Led,gasket,elec plug, mtg bracket. Professional stuff,works so far....Potter Webster in Portland.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:39 AM   #6
DJFISHS2XS

West Marine Had them on sale last month, I purchased them and one leaked, so I emailed the company that made them to try to find out if the lens was the water barrier or if they were sealed on the inside. The guy got me new lights in less then 5 days, Big bonus in my book.....DJ
DJFISHS2XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 06:47 AM   #7
Haftafish

Bought mine at GI Joes. Paid $70 for the pair but so far seems to be worth it. My old lights (on a 97 trailer) wouldn't stop burning out and leaking. I would recommend them if you can afford them. Also I mashed the threads down on the lights after I mounted them to deter theft.
Haftafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 06:53 AM   #8
Wet_Willy
Chromer

Just bought two of them to replace on my drift boat trailer for $27.99 each at FMS in OR City. They didn't have any more in stock as of Saturday. I had already busted open the sealed units and resealed them to replace the bulbs once. I couldn't see buying an entirely new unit when just the bulbs burnt out. Seemed rediculous but only option on those in the frame type lights. So I went with the LED's and I'm hoping they work good. I never submerge my trailer but the jarring they take on most put ins and roads leading to them takes a toll on the bulbs. One or more of the filaments usually bust on them. Regular sealed units without the gasket are $10.99 so it was a little more than double but hopefully will last a long time.
Bill
Wet_Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:05 PM   #9
GutZ
Chromer

These sound pretty good!
Now if I could get my wiring straight!
Are there any infrared or radio sets so there would be no wiring?

It's good to have friends.
It's Better to have friends with boats!
GutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 05:45 AM   #10
aye fsh
Steelhead

Hey, Thanks for all the great info everyone! Definitely going to do the mash the threads down thing. Think I found what I was thinking of in the new bass pro shops marine catalog that showed up in the mail the other day.

Tight lines,
TM

#149 to #109, AAaarhuughh...?
aye fsh is offline   Reply With Quote