IFish Fishing Forum banner

John Day River Trip 5/5-5/6

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  uhmw 
#1 ·
The wife took me on a weekend camping trip on the John Day River for my birthday! The bass were biting! I caught and landed 10, and lost 3 that spit the hook right at the bank. I also caught a pretty large pikeminnow that took my line and ran with it; got the blood pumping a little because I was not expecting that lol. Not too bad on about 6 and a half hours of fishing we got in, the wife even caught her first smallmouth! I could only get consistent bites on a 1/8 Blue fox that looks like a baby trout, they loved that thing. Thought I'd share the bass bite is good on the John Day right now, and show off a couple pics!

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks guys! The river's lookin great! Anyone know if there's any bigger bass up above the arm? Or are the bigger ones all down closer to the Columbia? All I was catching were little 8-12 inchers, fun as heck to catch, but it would be nice to get into some bigger ones once in a while lol

#15 ·
looks like the off shore swell will keep me off the ocean this weekend . Im thinking about taking the sea doo out of the mouth for a day trip this weekend to escape the crowds. I find the fishing best up stream on washington side. Im generally only interested in large to pig size specimens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.