Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #241
fishskills
Steelhead

Default Re: Official 2015 Buoy 10 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA View Post
Plus the fact that it's clipped
Didn't think Tules were fin clipped. Wouldn't be a Rogue headed to one of the safe zones if it was clipped?

fishskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #242
pokerguy
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr450xxx View Post
OMG ! .had a way too close call with a huge whale right in front of the Hammond launch!
Friday we were trolling in front of Hammond and that whale surfaced 30 yards from us. It was a close call for another boat that was almost on top of it when it turned to go down
pokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #243
Buzz Ramsey

Below is a photo of Bill Monroe Jr. (he's the fishing guide) and his father Bill Monroe with a couple of chinook - as in we had a double and landed both.

Best,

Buzz Ramsey
Buzz Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #244
Wabowman
Steelhead

I'm just getting home from 4 days down on the river.
Friday blew a wheel bearing and the wheel fell off while I was trying to get the boat off the trailer. In the middle of the ramp. Yes, I was that guy!
Got out at about 10. 1 king and a few shorts. Then got blown off. Had to go to Astoria and get a ride back.
Sat. 1 steelhead and blown off with that south wind. Paid more attention.
Sunday, 4 kings done by 11.
Mon. 1 king and a coho above and below.

Can't wait to see this again in 2 weeks

Good Shocks And Four Wheel Drive
Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #245
XXX archer
Tuna!

Attachment 364929Attachment 364937Attachment 364945Attachment 364953
A couple pics from the weekend. It wasn't epic fishing by any means but we still found our chinook. Great quality too!
XXX archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #246
Arrowhead
Steelhead

I caught one Sunday with Tapioca Disease. Not appealing at all..... But it has been a great start so far.

Anybody else get a fish with the Tapioca Disease this year? Is there anyway to tell before you bring a fish in the boat and bonk it if it has the disease?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #247
fishinman
Tuna!

We got a bunch with flavour nodules last year. I haven't seen one yet this year.
fishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #248
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishskills View Post
Didn't think Tules were fin clipped. Wouldn't be a Rogue headed to one of the safe zones if it was clipped?
Vast majority of tules are clipped

10.5 million BPH tules released annually (Spring Creek Hatchery) above Bonne.

Clipped LRH stock outnumber adipose-intact tules by a factor of 4:1. (lower river hatcheries... Big Creek, Gnat Creek, Kalama, Cowlitz, Lewis, etc).

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #249
DogZilla15
King Salmon

A little better today. Some boats got multiple fish others probable reek of skunk. We didn't really see a lot going on around us, one here and there, no real bite. Saw a double on Chinook, nice fish. We fished two rods, lost a silver, landed four, released two and one URB around 22.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #250
backley
Steelhead

Tough day today. We were out at Buoy 10 for awhile and then trolled into past 20 toward Hammond when we got a little chinook to the boat but it spit the hook on a roll over. Then we went above the bridge in 21' of water and found that we had been pulling a nice little 12 lbs. coho who had swallowed the bait and was trying to digest the monofilament leader when I pulled on the rod to check the bait. Bang. At least we got one today. There were fish all over on the finder but no one wanted to bite. Color me frustrated but pleased we came home with one fish for two rods.
backley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #251
Freakwater
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Is there anyway to tell before you bring a fish in the boat and bonk it if it has the disease?
I have a knack for catching them. I've found that you can usually see and/or feel them where wrist meets the tail in chinook. This is a different look and feel than that scale disease that raises some of the scales. Look/feel for pea to marble size bumps in chinook in the wrist. Have not had much luck IDing them in coho before bonking. Find them much more frequently and worse cases in coho.

There is a large range in severity. Just because you find a couple, don't freak out. Once they are cut, you will first see them in the wrist and along where they are fillet from the spine. The worse the disease the more you will find in the back half of the fish. Really bad cases are pretty obvious. Those I will dissect by slicing it up in very thin slices, cutting out the flavor nodules and then using the fish for salmon cakes. Ones that appear to have a moderate case I will cut into small portions and inspect the cuts to see if I've sliced through some or can see some close to the cut. Like I said, you will find less at you move toward the head of the fish. If I don't find more then I assume those portions are good. If I run into a few, I dissect more.

I'm not one of those who thinks they are harmless and just eat the fish. They are nasty, but you usually can eat most of the fish. I just look closely for them in every fish. I don't not want to surprised at the dinner table like that one infamous pic on ifish with the baked fish with giant marbles popping out.

Freakwater
Freakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #252
Rusty
Ifish Nate

Three of Tigard Fisherman's Matine & Outdoor finest enjoyed a great day at Buoy 10 today. Nicole, Danielle, and Colleen had a total of five fish on during a good morning bite neat Buoy 22. Colleen hooked and landed her first King, a dandy weighing in at 22 pounds. As a matter of fact, she had never been fishing in her life before this morning's adventure. We hooked 4 or 5 more Silvers, but were denied success because of the barbless hook rule! Oh well, it was fun to get to know these outstanding ladies outside of the work environment. I had a blast and I'm sure they did as well!

John Brody

"Rusty"
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:42 PM   #253
ripnlips
Steelhead

Am headed down Thursday for the day. Won't get there until 8-8:30. Just about the low tide in Hammond. With the steep tides that day, where would you start?
Go out towards B10 and come in? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Three of Tigard Fisherman's Matine & Outdoor finest enjoyed a great day at Buoy 10 today. Nicole, Danielle, and Colleen had a total of five fish on during a good morning bite neat Buoy 22. Colleen hooked and landed her first King, a dandy weighing in at 22 pounds. As a matter of fact, she had never been fishing in her life before this morning's adventure. We hooked 4 or 5 more Silvers, but were denied success because of the barbless hook rule! Oh well, it was fun to get to know these outstanding ladies outside of the work environment. I had a blast and I'm sure they did as well!

John Brody

"Rusty"
ripnlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #254
fishinman
Tuna!

We got a bunch with flavour nodules last year. I haven't seen one yet this year
Old 08-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #255
Shortbus Flashers

Struggled today, we had more than our fair share of chances but lost to many to count. Rod buried, line pealing short fight then nothing. Two leaders came untied (passenger brought his own pretied.....) Every clipped coho just out of reach of the net then pop! No problem bringing in the native ones only to turn them loose.

www.shortbusflashers.com
Shortbus Flashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #256
choppers
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus Flashers View Post
Struggled today, we had more than our fair share of chances but lost to many to count. Rod buried, line pealing short fight then nothing. Two leaders came untied (passenger brought his own pretied.....) Every clipped coho just out of reach of the net then pop! No problem bringing in the native ones only to turn them loose.
Sounds like my sunday. Best part of it all. We get another day to fix it and I'll be back !!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #257
Rusty Stern
Ifish Nate

My first buoy 10 report.

Fished with some buddies with a guide. Can I still report since I fished with a guide?

We had to grind it out from 0630 to 1500 to get it done but we managed 6 kings ranging from 10 to 25 lbs and two clipped coho, one at 6 lbs and one at 12.

Fished from the green can out to buoy 10, then came in and fished green can to black and white.

Most of our fish were on the flats.

Ended above the bridge.

Fished everywhere from 9 to 16 pulls and even dragged bottom on the flats.

Herring and anchovies.

We missed at least 4 or 5 that didn't stick, lost a Chinook and a coho at the net, and broke two off.

I'm worn out and happy.

Here's me with my buoy 10 king. Not huge but a solid 14 ish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Rusty Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #258
Buzz Ramsey

Matt Anderson from Utah caught this 45# up river bright chinook on a herring fished in combination with a chartreuse Big Al's Fish Flash at Buoy 10 while fishing with guide Mike Kelly.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #259
Buzz Ramsey

Ramona Anderson with a 35 pound URB taken on a herring and chartreuse Fish Flash with guide Mike Kelly.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #260
zueth
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Ramsey View Post
Matt Anderson from Utah caught this 45# up river bright chinook on a herring fished in combination with a chartreuse Big Al's Fish Flash at Buoy 10 while fishing with guide Mike Kelly.
Want to know what scale he uses...
Old 08-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #261
ccw
King Salmon

Default Official 2015 Buoy 10 Thread

Nice pics Buzz! Mike and Linda Kelly are excellent guides and the nicest professionals this Kalama local has known in the area in 20 years. No surprise they caught a couple monsters.

Rusty - congratulations. It's quite a fishery to learn and you are getting it done.

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #262
BobberBob
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
Nice pics Buzz! Mike and Linda Kelly are excellent guides and the nicest professionals this Kalama local has known in the area in 20 years. No surprise they caught a couple monsters.

Rusty - congratulations. It's quite a fishery to learn and you are getting it done.

CW

Mikes new boat is the bomb! 28 foot Formula Vee with no forward helm. Wide open and deep!
They are great people! We stay next door to them for a lot of August. Mike is friendly and a great guy to BS with back at camp in the afternoon and evenings.

We also met and BS'd with the couple from Utah. Nice folks that drive all the way here to fish with Mike for 2 days. Glad they got there fish!

Thanks for the reports Buzz!
BobberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #263
Mr.Kitch'nPass

Mrs K.P. and I took one of my employees and his wife yesterday. It was not red hot, but we stuck with it and got our fish. All were on green label cuts. Tried Chovies but never got bit? Great first day for us.

Official ifish car geek!
Daves Ifish Page
Mr.Kitch'nPass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #264
DogZilla15
King Salmon

First really good bite I've seen this year. Just me in the boat today. Didn't drop the first bait in the water till 8:30. By 9:30 had seven bites. Lost a small Chinook at the boat, two drive bys then lost a nice 'nook, small hatchery silver to the net and lost a fish that was probably a silver, one more drive by.

Didn't do a lot of running around so don't know what happened in the different areas. Might go out again later to fish the outgoing.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #265
Wildswede
Tuna!

Fished the ocean on Sunday, Aug.9th, and landed our 3 person limit of 2 Chinook and 4 Coho. Only had to release one high fin Coho. The ocean was great as was the companionship and fishing. Go get 'em boys and girls.
Wildswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #266
MattiG
Chromer

Late report from Sunday. 6 for 7 with 4 rods, 2 released. Plus one crabby bycatch released (see pic below). One fish released was a Coho jack, the only Coho we saw all day. The other was a decent-sized nook that looked 'tule-ish' in the net. This pic doesn't do the tule-ish-ness justice, but even then, a few of us had our doubts (sorry to not get the tail in here. I think it was spotty. Adipose and anal fins were big. blushing belly. more green than chrome):

All our fish were smaller than we might have liked. 10-15lb range. e.g.

Here was our crabby bycatch. It came up with some weeds.

We had more takes on bait, but fished more bait. 2/7 on spinners. Remaining 5 on fresh cut plugs. They held up pretty well considering temps.

Saw a few pretty decent bites where the crowds were but whether that's chicken or egg, couldn't say. We were all alone below the bridge at 1pm with 2 of the crew on the phone with wives when one of our spinners got slammed.

We switched to pink/white spinners and looked for silvers, but gave up after an hour. It was hot (temperature-wise), and getting mildly snotty below the bridge. No one was getting blown off the water, but not glassy either.

Nook limit on the boat by 1:11pm, High fives for the crew of ifishers for a great 1st B10 trip this year.
MattiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #267
Buzz Ramsey

Below is a photo of Randy Woolsey with a Buoy 10 chinook taken while trolling a 10" Fish Flash with a Mulkey red/white spinner trailing behind.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #268
Buzz Ramsey

Also, here is Eric Gorham with a 24 lb chinook taken at Buoy 10.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #269
KalamaGeo
King Salmon

Quote:

Gotta give ya grief on this one, unless the guy is 6'10" and 400 pounds.
That is one long arm special.....

Maybe you got the caption wrong?
Old 08-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #270
Hookset
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaGeo View Post

Why? Does it really matter?

It's a great picture of a really nice fish and the person who caught it, nothing else matters. Congrats to the angler and the guide!
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #271
Big Game Fishing

Not a wide open bite today, but some fish were caught.

I fished three rods today and we killed 3 nooks and 3 coho for our limit. Had one double and probably around 18 total bites, lost a few fish near the boat. Put lines in about 0730, tagged the last fish about 2.

Nice flat day on the water made up a little for the beating we took over the weekend.

Pic below is not a coho, it's a chinook URB filet, you don't ever see nooks cut any better.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #272
zueth
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaGeo View Post

Exactly I need to get the scale he uses, so I can catch a 45lb chinook.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 AM   #273
N.W. Fisherman
Cutthroat

We got some Nice chinook on bait yesterday and a couple coho overall went 5/10 for 3 rods. Solid bite on the in comeing tide for about a hour everyone was hooking up but not always landing them thou.
N.W. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #274
choppers
Sturgeon

might be long armed but the guy looks well over 220. fingers size of Oscar Meyers.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #275
BobberBob
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppers View Post
might be long armed but the guy looks well over 220. fingers size of Oscar Meyers.

I met Matt Anderson and his wife and Matt is about 160 to 170 at best. He is long arming those fingers too. Lol
BobberBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #276
Fins
Chromer

Nice fish Buzz, keep the pics and tips coming, haters gonna hate.

Fins
Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #277
Perfect spin
Cutthroat

if mike kelley says that fish weighed 45 it may have weighed 47 only guy i know with one over 80 on his wall,i seen it.
Perfect spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #278
Diehard
Chromer

Nice Skybuster! That thing cut like a springer!

"I am haunted by waters."
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #279
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I think the scale is broken. Nice pic though!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #280
KalamaGeo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
Why? Does it really matter?

It's a great picture of a really nice fish and the person who caught it, nothing else matters. Congrats to the angler and the guide!

Chill guys.........

I was just pulling his chain. NOBODY'S hating here.

Sensitive aren't we.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #281
KalamaGeo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1977 View Post
I think the scale is broken. Nice pic though!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

True dat Ginger. Buzz posts great pics.

The "ifish police" run both ways here.....................

Kind of like the NFL.

The No Fun League.

Better not question ANYTHING, lest you get jumped on by hyper sensitive people.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #282
choppers
Sturgeon

KG like that's new...LOL
Old 08-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #283
defwhitepony
Chromer

That's before it was dressed guys and, it ate a lot of lead before they landed it. Lol
defwhitepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #284
derrick454
Ifish Nate

Late reports. Been busy. Monday tried the salt, FOG and sea sick people. Ended up in river with 2 clipped coho. Tues day off. Wed Etec wouldn't run, oil cap breather went out causing an alarm. Clatsop power and equip got me right in. Thursday fished bottom of ebb at checker board and downhill trolled till flood. 5 for 8 with a URB and 2 clipped coho and 2 native coho released. Caught chinook on red label dragging bottom and the rest came on Anchovies. Bite seemed ok early then petered out but I was off the water at noon. I fished the 10 line between 1000 and noon and didn't see much. Derrick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derrick454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #285
Beach Caster
Steelhead

Started at the crack of 9am. About 10 bites = out to four hatchery Coho and one 14# URB. Used both cutplug and whole herring rigs. Chovies got no love today. Only saw a handful of fish caught today for a zillion boats. BC
Beach Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #286
landerfish
Fry

I was told by wdfw no barbs on cr below tongue point ? I thought you could use barbed hooks
landerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #287
landerfish
Fry

Never mind that's correct don't know what I was thinking sorry .
landerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #288
fishinman
Tuna!

And no jacks below tongue point also. I saw somebody at the cleaning station yesterday who didn't know. I gave him a friendly reminder.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #289
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Dang..... Tough pill to swallow. Have lost five Chinooks in a row....???? Grrrrrrrr.... Soft bites today, fish would not commit to the bait. Feed 'em like a springer, fight them for a minute or so then pop. Grrrrrr......
Old 08-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #290
derrick454
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Dang..... Tough pill to swallow. Have lost five Chinooks in a row....???? Grrrrrrrr.... Soft bites today, fish would not commit to the bait. Feed 'em like a springer, fight them for a minute or so then pop. Grrrrrr......
Same here. It's been like that on a lot of my bites!!!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #291
derrick454
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by landerfish View Post
I was told by wdfw no barbs on cr below tongue point ? I thought you could use barbed hooks
We used to use em. Been barb less for a few years

Old 08-14-2015, 06:41 AM   #292
Soulakala
King Salmon

I gain a little edge by using barbed hooks with the barb pinched down tight. It seems that little nub or bump on the hook of what was a barb helps hold in the hook, that's JMO.

Trouble is it's getting harder to find tied barbed hooks anymore, so I'm now tying my own.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #293
Buzz Ramsey

Guide Jack Glass and clients found Buoy 10 success while trolling Fish Flash.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:14 AM   #294
Jeb
Steelhead

August 14. we went 3 of 7 of Chinook on the incoming tide out in front of Hammond. Half on Herring / Half on Spinner.

The tide was ripping at the beginning and we had to use a lot of weight to keep us down during the troll and we were moving at a pretty good clip. About mid-way through the tide it settled down where 12oz would hold us in the zone.

There was a good coho bite around high tide and at the change in the afternoon; but we (our boat) couldn't seem to connect for some reason. Overcast day, but no real wind and better than a day at work :-)
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #295
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Started by the checker board, already a long line of boats established when we got there a little before 7. Picked our position on the Oregon side of the line of boats because nobody was there. Fishing two rods. Fished downhill till the bite quit then ran back up. Only got one bite on the second pass. All the boats had worked their way over toward Washington, looked pretty dead over there from where we were. Made one more pass through the area of our first pass, zero bites. Moved over to 22, looked like a fair bite going on, fish cooperated with us. Everything really died by 10:00 or a bit after. We stuck with it still trying for a pair of silvers but no deal. Ended with two Chinook in the bag, three released, out of 13 bites between the two of us.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #296
Kyle Jones
Steelhead

Biggest fish for my boat this season. Bottom of the sands at daylight.
Kyle Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #297
wheatie
Tuna!

Owee, my neck!

"Freethought"
wheatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #298
troutcanoe
Steelhead

haha love the upside-down fish report!
troutcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #299
Flatfish
King Salmon

That's what salmon fishing looks like South of the equator.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #300
fishinman
Tuna!

Three of us tagged out today. Pecking fish off all day. The best bite was down low early on the incoming. We missed lots of bites today. I think it is because all the stretch in the mono not getting a good hook set.