Does leader length matter when Kokanee fishing? (video) - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 08-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Default Does leader length matter when Kokanee fishing? (video)

I've always maintained that shorter leaders are best when trolling lures behind dodgers for Kokanee. This is especially true when trolling lures like hoochies or flies that don't have their own action.

I decided to put this hypothesis to the test on a recent outing.

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
jackchinook
Cutthroat

Default Re: Does leader length matter when Kokanee fishing? (video)

Great video Tyler. And great side x side experiment, literally! I'd be very curious to see this re-run a few times over the season. Would the same apply in April, just after ice-off, or early summer? Here we are in mid-August now and, based on fish I got out of Patterson the other day, they're starting to sexually mature and perhaps act differently. Thanks for putting that video together and sharing it.
jackchinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
elkhuntinfool
Steelhead

Great video. Shatters some ideas that people have. What lake were you fishing on?
elkhuntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
Seth in Keizer
Steelhead

Still can't find the link for those blue Koke rods. Great video
Seth in Keizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
Don Fischer
King Salmon

I got some stuff to try Kokanee again. Only one's I ever caught were in Montana a long long time ago on little florescent orange spoons like a Dare Devil. I got a few thing's called wedding rings and think I've got some flasher's. Need a weight too? Got some banana weights up to about two once's. Thought about going to East Lake for sentimental reasons. Fished it in the late 40's and early 50's with my step dad. But, limit on kokanee is counted in the trout limit and that five. Long way to go to hang it up at five fish. Looks like Suttle Lake still has a 25 fish limit. Never catch that many I'm sure but might get six and that would be over limit at East! Loved East as a kid.

Off the subject a bit. In those days the road in was pretty much one lane dirt. You met someone and someone had to get off the road. Was a place back them where a stream was close to the road with a nice pull out. Remember camping there one time. Ton of deer came out across the field that night. East Lake is where I ate my first frog. I was about four, the frog was alive and my mother had a fit! Lot of good memories at that lake. Great cabins with ice box's in them and lot of chipmunks to try to catch! That trip always included breakfast in Sister's, little cafe on the east side with chipmunk cage out back. It was all by itself! Going through Bend back then there were no building's of any kind to see. Yep, great memories of East Lake!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!

Last edited by Don Fischer; 08-18-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
SlamminKokes
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I got some stuff to try Kokanee again. Only one's I ever caught were in Montana a long long time ago on little florescent orange spoons like a Dare Devil. I got a few thing's called wedding rings and think I've got some flasher's. Need a weight too? Got some banana weights up to about two once's. Thought about going to East Lake for sentimental reasons. Fished it in the late 40's and early 50's with my step dad. But, limit on kokanee is counted in the trout limit and that five. Long way to go to hang it up at five fish. Looks like Suttle Lake still has a 25 fish limit. Never catch that many I'm sure but might get six and that would be over limit at East! Loved East as a kid.

Off the subject a bit. In those days the road in was pretty much one lane dirt. You met someone and someone had to get off the road. Was a place back them where a stream was close to the road with a nice pull out. Remember camping there one time. Ton of deer came out across the field that night. East Lake is where I ate my first frog. I was about four, the frog was alive and my mother had a fit! Lot of good memories at that lake. Great cabins with ice box's in them and lot of chipmunks to try to catch! That trip always included breakfast in Sister's, little cafe on the east side with chipmunk cage out back. It was all by itself! Going through Bend back then there were no building's of any kind to see. Yep, great memories of East Lake!
Youd have more fun and more meat just catching 1 like from East than if you caught 25 at Suttle. Suttles fish are so small they're nearly impossible to catch anyways.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #7
Don Fischer
King Salmon

OK. Thanks!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #8
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Don. Kinda reminds me of the 50's and 60's when I was introduced to the place.
But back then, during general deer season, it was snowed in.
My dad would alway's tried to take the family over there and hunt the Paulina creek area, for the big buck.
IF, we could get over Santiam pass (hwy 22) without chains.
Went up to the lakes one year and camped. It was a very dry year. Hardly any snow yet.
Bears in the un-improved campground, wandering around all night it seemed like.
No deer on the top of the station wagon on the way home, and barely made it back over the pass, as the snow had started to pile up.
But the camping trip was worth it.
The smell of bacon and eggs and flapjacks cooking over the campfire is hard to forget.
Mighty crispy mornings there.
You brought back some fine memories of when I was a couple years younger than now. Many Garcia's.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #9
Chinook Angler
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandsandpiper View Post
I've always maintained that shorter leaders are best when trolling lures behind dodgers for Kokanee. This is especially true when trolling lures like hoochies or flies that don't have their own action.

I decided to put this hypothesis to the test on a recent outing.
Great video! Need to try it a few more times to make the findings "statistically significant".

Did you get a new kayak?
Chinook Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #10
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Angler View Post
Great video! Need to try it a few more times to make the findings "statistically significant".

Did you get a new kayak?
For certain repeatability is key. The point I was trying to make most is that anglers should experiment while out on the water to try and improve their success rate.

I did get a new prop driven pedal kayak from Old Town. I like it a lot and its very quiet which I really appreciate as a film maker.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #11
LGB
Tuna!

An interesting experiment that many of us go through regularly as we try to out smart the Kokanee. There are so many variables to catching Kokes that require us to remain flexible. Types and colors of dodgers, types of lures (I must have two dozen in my box), drop back from the boat or down rigger, speed, depth even though most of the fish show on the fish finder at a different depth than you are catching them at, but always using scented corn bait is a must.

On one lake I fish I frequently find a leader up to 5 feet long with just a couple of colored beads and some scented corn work better. This past week I fished Odell Lake in Oregon and found that a short leaders (8-9") with just a colored hook (pink or orange) and corn did best. I'm not sure the colored hook is necessary, I didn't try anything else because that was working. My standard leader is usually 12 to 16" long.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote