Prineville crappie? - Page 3 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #121
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Default Re: Prineville crappie?

Stayed 1 night at the state park- again, this park is very impressive.
Well manicured, very clean. The park ranger is a nice guy and the camp host;Ron is a great guy and loves to talk- even helped fillet fish!

The fish cleaning station is down- grinder is shot. Ranger says $10k for new one or ship the broken one off and maybe months.

Super easy fishing - 2 rods non stop action blowing with the wind- any color.

Last edited by 1nutinthewater; 06-20-2019 at 06:55 PM.
1nutinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #122
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Went to Prineville Res this afternoon. Put in at Bowman Dam. Pretty slow! Tried some chicken liver for some cat's but nothing. Tried a bunch of different jig's for crappie buy only two. Going back to the upper end next time. Got out and rode around the shore a ways and very little cover like there is on the upper end, bush's growing out of the water. Sis stayed in the boat this time!

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #123
Teddybear31
Fry

Redshorose where do u mean upper end is the best where is that at may I ask? And u said now bear creek arms don't have as much as they use too in begining of April may I ask? Where did they all crappies go may I ask?
Teddybear31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #124
redhorseshoe
Coho

Across from the resort, rock cliffs, floating log habitat, and near the floating toilet. Kept 76 over the weekend, most around 9". Jig color didn't seem to matter too much, although black with silver specks and bright green were what we used most.
redhorseshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #125
bcav8
Steelhead

Fished from the night of the 28 through the morning of the 30th. Fishing was decent. Nothing compared to last year where we would tie on 3 jigs and catch 3 at a time. Brought home about 300. All decent sizes. Bite picked up around 6pm and died at sunrise time. Dead throughout the day. We fished from the shore and targeted steep rocky banks. Tried for smallies but could only catch dinks with senkos and Ned rigs.
bcav8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #126
puckfisher
Chromer

This is normal pattern for summer crappies. High suns send these fish to cover. Overcast days are different. Nightfishing is a hoot and the more lights you have shining into water and IN the water, the better. I use an underwater light made for this purpose. One problem is cleaning all those fish the next morning when you are dead tired and the next day is shot because a long nap is mandatory. I tend to back off on crappies mid summer, however. They get a little soft, don't you Think?
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #127
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Anyone been over lately that can attest to the condition of the cleaning station?
Thinking about another trip but that cleaning station really makes things easy when functional.....
Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #128
Walleyehunter
Fry

The fish cleaning station is up and working just fine (except for the short cables on the wash hoses)

The lake is dropping daily, the algae bloom is becoming worse by the hour.

Still plenty of Crappie to be caught!

Good luck!
Walleyehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #129
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyehunter View Post
The fish cleaning station is up and working just fine (except for the short cables on the wash hoses)

The lake is dropping daily, the algae bloom is becoming worse by the hour.

Still plenty of Crappie to be caught!

Good luck!
Excellent- Last rip the grinder was down and they thought it may be quite awhile until repaired.
The pea soup does not sound to exciting...........
Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #130
rodholder1
Steelhead

I would really like to get enough for a good meal,no way do I want the numbers some of you are posting. Too much cleaning. Didn't get a chance to go before things warmed up. How is the fall fishing and when will the water cool off? Coming from Oregon City so probably stay a couple days at the state park.
rodholder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:57 AM   #131
Big Bubba
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodholder1 View Post
I would really like to get enough for a good meal,no way do I want the numbers some of you are posting. Too much cleaning. Didn't get a chance to go before things warmed up. How is the fall fishing and when will the water cool off? Coming from Oregon City so probably stay a couple days at the state park.

See PM
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:05 AM   #132
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Fall fishing should be great. Its really good right now and as the water cools and folks go home for the summer the fishing will improve. For a treat try a night time excursion with lights. A real hoot
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:23 AM   #133
shanem
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
Fall fishing should be great. Its really good right now and as the water cools and folks go home for the summer the fishing will improve. For a treat try a night time excursion with lights. A real hoot

I didn’t realize you can fish at night, thought it was 1hr before/after sunrise/sunset but maybe I’m confusing that rule.

Do you just hang a lantern or spot light out as an attractor, like guys do up in the Sound for squid? May have to plan a fall crappie trip. That sounds like a blast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2019, 07:08 AM   #134
Don Fischer
King Salmon

I read on a crappie site I got to that lot's of places fish for crappie through the ice and do well. I'm is winter and see what probably gonna try it a day or so see what happens. Also on a catfish site a guy claims to catch cats during the winter too. But, he live's in Florida. 75* is cold down there! But I'm gonna try that to but probably go to LaPage park to try for channel's.

Cousin is over from the valley for a few day's, taking him to Prineville today! Fed him some crappie last night and he really liked it. He'd never eaten it before.

Last edited by Don Fischer; 07-31-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #135
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem View Post
I didn’t realize you can fish at night, thought it was 1hr before/after sunrise/sunset but maybe I’m confusing that rule.

Do you just hang a lantern or spot light out as an attractor, like guys do up in the Sound for squid? May have to plan a fall crappie trip. That sounds like a blast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No rules for crappie. I forgot the propane bottle to "power" the lantern last time Just hung a headlamp right above the water. Also had a spotlight on the boat we pointed towards the water. About a 30-40 min lull when it gets dark, then it was game on.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #136
never do
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
How late in the fall is crappie fishing still good?
never do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #137
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by never do View Post
How late in the fall is crappie fishing still good?
In my expert opinion, till they quit biting! Slow right now. Went out Friday to the Dam, wanted catfish and didn't find them. Cruised to shore slowly and found a lot of crappie. Quite a ways off the bank in about 40' of water and holding between 20 to 30 feet. Managed to hook one and biggest I've ever seen. Had to be at least 12" and I tried to lift it in the boat on the line and it broke my leader, 2# test! Sucker was huge!

Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #138
Hawk JJ
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
In my expert opinion, till they quit biting! Slow right now. Went out Friday to the Dam, wanted catfish and didn't find them. Cruised to shore slowly and found a lot of crappie. Quite a ways off the bank in about 40' of water and holding between 20 to 30 feet. Managed to hook one and biggest I've ever seen. Had to be at least 12" and I tried to lift it in the boat on the line and it broke my leader, 2# test! Sucker was huge!

Most of the time places we went for catfish, we went at night.
We tied a sinker on bottom of line. Above i tied on 2 leaders & hooks separated by about 16". I used nightcrawlers, or pileworms, or cut anchovie usually. We usually fished from shore so i put a bell on the rod tip, went into the rv until i heard the bell go ...ding ding......reel in the catfish . Often it was a Channel Catfish.

That crappie must have been the Queen...

Last edited by Hawk JJ; 08-19-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Hawk JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #139
Steel4Sam
Chromer

We fished Sunday morning, took us a while to find them but once we did we did pretty well. Fish were on 33’ of water from 8-12’ deep.
Steel4Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:19 AM   #140
Big Bubba
Chromer

Can't believe no one has mentioned this, but the Prineville Res. RV Park is no more. Informed owners were losing money and cut their lease short with BLM. Every thing to be restored back to original condition. Bummer.
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #141
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bubba View Post
Can't believe no one has mentioned this, but the Prineville Res. RV Park is no more. Informed owners were losing money and cut their lease short with BLM. Every thing to be restored back to original condition. Bummer.
Not hard to believe with last years low water. When I was there in July we couldn't even idle up there, and in August it was dry land. Impossible to run a lakeside resort without a lake.
TheKodiakWay is offline   Reply With Quote